Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Her twitter has been silent for a while now too. Do hope everything is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

For Chickam peeps: Word from VS!

The family have a home and just got internet connection, still moving in but yay homeowners \o/.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

c355n4 posted:

They look like... red dicks attached to a fluffy football?

Thats pretty much what we came up with in chat last year on the CamChat. :dong:

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Watch out, she knows were you sleep and she probably has some knowlage of how to launch poop at your open window.

Also YAY FLUFFBALL :3:

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

So I saw this Black Polish:

Now I really want one... Just look at that smashing hairdoo on that Roo!

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

I think it comes from the dog knowing these are baby animals, and mother animals normally would not hesitate to maul the face of anything that gets too close to their babies if they feel in danger.

It's just natural to want to stay the hell away from something thats going to get you beat up. (We all know how bitchy broody hens can get, they get worse with chicks sometimes.)

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Whodat...

Ohhai!

In other news, this was posted in the old Chickam thread, it's chickens and ducks. Also has a button that allows you to feed the chickens via the internet! (I think goons might have broken it yesterday granted...) but still, chickens and ducks on cam for your viewing pleasure.

http://flyingskunk.com/live.php

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Get a Silkie or two, said fluffballs need more lovin!

Edit: Herp Derp not thinking straight at all today >_<

Zaran fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 29, 2012

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You're going to poison dogs for eating chicken? It's not the dogs' faults. It's the owners.

Yea, agreed, not thinking straight today at all my bad there.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Just saw this on BBC News...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/17769677 - 'Eggless' chick laid by hen in Sri Lanka

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

This is why:

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

hey santa baby posted:

What the heck am I going to do with a rooster?

Dress it up in Build-a-bear workshop clothes? Worked for Chido!

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

RazorBunny posted:

You know, when I was in England I was amazed to see that even the store-bought eggs had rich dark yolks like that. We really do get blah eggs in this country.

Depends on what chain you get your eggs from over here really. It's rather hit and miss from supermarkets.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

OK, we'll do this in a bit with the general fortunes, I'm sure that Bear would be willing to help us out.

Any Goons who want to have their fortune for 2013 told by a chicken, chime in! I'm going to make up some appropriately snarky fortunes for y'all...:devil:

I want Weedcat to tell me if I am going to get struck by lightning this year really so sign me up!

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

The Chickam thread doesn't start until a we get pipping normally. I hope I finally get my name used this year.

I will make sure someone is called Charizard eventually :3:

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

SpannerX posted:

I hate to ask, but what is the url for the cam? The Cosmo kittens are going to their new homes on the 20th, so I need a new cam.

https://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008 for the Chick stream, wont be up until VS notices the chicks hatching :D

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Saw this earlier today:

Best buds!

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

That duck is best duck. You going to leave it in with the flock as long as they let Chickenduck be?

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Saw this the other day, thought this thread would like it:

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

So a few weeks ago I visited by soon-to-be Father-in-law for the first time at his home just outside London and keeps chickens in his back yard. So of course I took a few photos. Didn't manage to get photos of them all as this was early February when England was flooding and the weather was horrid but it stopped raining for the 10 mins we went out to feed them.

I honestly cant remember their breeds at all, but in total there are 9 Chickens. (6 Hens, 2 Roos and 1 Baby!)

This one was a rescue, but shortly after being integrated into one of the houses she became very aggressive and started plucking other hens feathers so she currently has her own little coop and run.

The bantam Roo, him and his little back lady friend have their own run and coop as the hen loves to try and beat up anyone who is not her Rooboy.

My two faves here, the baby was born in November and has the softest feathers ever. The Mother went broody in late October and was given an egg to sit on and said egg became a healthy fluff ball despite being born in a rather poor winter. They have the whole upper floor of one of the 4 houses to themselves with their own lighting on a timer and a heat lamp when it gets too cold.

Makes me regret living in a flat with no garden as I just want my own little balls of feathers again.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is England we are talking about. Reality is different there.

Brit here, can confirm reality is very much different here.

Going to see my Fianceé's dad again in a few weeks. Since we last saw him he has gained 21 hens. Poor guy got hit hard with Moorehens it seems.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

So me and the fiancée's dad spent the afternoon repairing an emergency coop for one of the chickens here.

She went broody last week but in the last few days she's been attacking any other hen that came near the nesting boxes to the point that we only got 1 egg from 15 non broody and in lay hens today. So she's now got her own little house with a view and we gave her some of the fertile bantam eggs we have here so we may get little fluff balls soon!

I'll get photos of the banties when it stops raining here.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Bantam photo dump, because everyone one loves bantams.

Ginger and Silver (Silver is about 6 months old, Ginger is about 2 years old and mothered Silver)

Moody and Grumpy (Moody is the white Roo, Grumpy is the black and silver one, both just under 2 years old)

Ball o' Broody and Mr Evil (Broody does have a real name but I totally forgot what it is, Mr Evil the Roo is just evil)

Fun note, Broody makes the cutest purring noises when you pet her, she also has never managed to hatch a chick so she doesnt get to keep eggs for now, she has two golf balls under her and she is fine with it.

In about 6 months or so we are going to collect a few weeks worth of bantam eggs from Broody and Grumpy, as they are in with a Roo each, and see if we can hatch a few more adorable balls of fluff.

Bigger Chicken Photo Dump:
Not many of these have names, of the 15 total 11 of them are rescues that my Fiancées dad took from another family member who had not cleaned them out for over 6 months and hardly fed them. They are on the mend but still suffer from stress. Also probably doesn't help that they all had baths/showers yesterday as they spilled their water all over the coop the day before clean out and were all covered in poo poo so it was into a bucket and a hose down for them all.

If people could help out with identifying what breeds these gals are it would be awesome, just to note these are English hens so they may differ from their american counterparts a bit.

Also, I mentioned Jermima in a previous post. Shes been in isolation for a few days and decided today to stop being a broody tart so no ball of fury unfortunately. She has to stay in isolation for a little more as she was attacking the stressed out rescue hens and they need time to re-feather themselves properly. So here is the most infurating chicken I have never known:

And here are some eggs I pulled out the nest boxes at around 9:30am today, this is a really high turnout for these girls who normally lay between 9am and 5pm and normally get between 3-9 eggs a day.

And yes those eggs tasted great in my lunch rolls today!

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Chickens will put themselves to bed in the roost on their own once they know that's were to go once it gets dark.

Can't comment on the cats keeping nasties away as I have no experience with that. Only that in the outskirts of London UK having cats in the area does nothing to keep the foxes or rats away.

Yes your veggie garden will vanish in a day if you don't enclose it in a chicken proof fence.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

So remember the banty hen I called broody? Just did the candle test on her eggs. Looks like we be having 2, at most, baby banties soon! :henget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

The Rat, sorry for your loss.

I totally forgot to update about the eggs Broody was sitting on, they didn't hatch and on breakout they were just really thick shelled for bantam eggs so our high powered LED torch could not see through them, bloody shame but oh well.

In other news I was sent this by step-father-to-be of what he pulled out the coop yesterday:

Smallest is one of the Bantam eggs, weighs 30g.
Middle is a normal egg from one of the regular layers, weighs 55g.
The large one... he has no clue who popped it out but it weighs 110g.