Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Chido posted:

My babies at 18 weeks (more or less). they've gotten so big!

Specially Roostroyer :stare:, and half of his body is pure fluff.

Being that fluffy is clearly serious business. You should record him crowing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Chido posted:

BTW, got some pics of Roo's babies! Look at the fluffballs :3:

Fuzzy feet? Black hackles and tail? Yep, definitely Roo's kids. Not that there was any doubt.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

If you do booties you can pack the wounds with Neosporin (OTC human triple antibiotic gel) to help speed healing. We once got toddler sneakers for Phoenix and cut holes for his toes and had him wear them. Needless to say, chickens HATE THIS.

And yeah, the score is Weedcat 1, my right shoulder 0. He is fine, though.

Just a suggestion if you go the booties route.

I'm sure I'm on a list somewhere after googling 'toddler stilletoes"

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Chido posted:

Oh yeah, I got now 5 chickens wearing a saddle. This is how they all react to the saddle.

I think you broke her.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

In the past we chose breeds depending on what we liked and wanted. Now that we've moved to a different area with tougher hatching conditions and colder winters, we have to keep those things in mind.

As our flock is aging, we like to hatch & keep a few new chicks every year...so far we haven't really talked about what we'll try come Spring, but some of the ones I like are:

Bantam Cochins
D'Anvers (Quail Bantams)
Salmon Faverolles
Sicilian Buttercups
Sultans
Coronation Light Sussex
Polish

I also have a weakness for Pumpkin Hulsey roos, but since they are gamecocks, they are pretty much out. But oh, so pretty!

Anyone have any suggestions, toss 'em out! :v:

Sebrights, silkies and Birchen Marans and Showgirls!

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Captain Foxy posted:

I will point out that my dog is roughly the same size as a bantam chicken, but I will not feel proud about it.
I dunno Cap'n, I may need photographic proof.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Captain Foxy posted:

This endeavor was tragically delayed by a horrible, no-good, very bad cold, but eventually, all experiments must proceed for :science:.

Yesss!

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Hey, my white crested black Polish hen has spurs that a roo would be proud to own. Polish are delightfully weird. :keke:

Hopefully not as unnecessarily large as Jack and Pheonix's!

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Ive never seen a frizzle show up at random, usually chicks from a frizzle parent will all be frizzles so if you acquire one of the chicks from them that actually isnt a frizzle,most of the chicks from THAT bird will be frizzles any way. If I get a bird from someone that has frizzle babies I get rid of it immediately since Ive got enough Cochin colors to fuss over and go crazy about.

Frizzle frizzle frizzle frizzle frizzle frizzle frizzle
I only like Frizzles because they have a Z in their name.

And own a Magic Schoolbus?

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

OK, we'll do this in a bit with the general fortunes, I'm sure that Bear would be willing to help us out.

Any Goons who want to have their fortune for 2013 told by a chicken, chime in! I'm going to make up some appropriately snarky fortunes for y'all...:devil:

Oh god, I do. :ohdear:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

AcetylCoA!, yours is: You should be able to make money and hold on to it. Dammit, what's wrong with you?!

I'm Jewish so I should drat well be able to do! :jewish:. Now if only I could get funding for next semester...

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I'm working on dropping hints & losing all dignity and outright publicly begging Tim the Enchanter for eggs. :allears:

Take the hint Tim the Enchanter, take the hint.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Damnit, no. So sorry Chido. He was the best loving rooster.:(

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Chido posted:

It looks like it likes to fly over fences a lot :ohdear:

Chido - you're in LA, correct?
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/grd/3828943642.html
Free silkie/bantam cochin roo.

(got tired of looking for Apts in Pittsburgh)

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

rangergirl posted:

We had no less than 5 silkies go broody in the last week, it was getting a bit out of hand. They were just a giant ball of fluff crammed into a single nesting box for days. We decided to get a few chicks to let them mother. It's a bit of an experiment since I've only raised chicks in a box under a heat lamp.

Anyway, the mothers decided to take the chicks on their first trip outside the coop today. It was adorable watching them teach the babies how to scratch at things!

D'aww :3 Are they raising the chicks as a single group or does every hen have her own chick?

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Agggghhhhh, the Yosemite fire has been vomiting smoke into our valley nonstop since 1PM. The air quality is now 189, 'Unhealthful' and is expected to worsen over the next few hours. We already have all the animals in the house EXCEPT the chickens, which I was hoping to avoid.

But guys, it looks like I'm gonna have 50 chickens in my dining room here pretty shortly.

KILL ME. :suicide:

Cam? We demand video of 50 chickens in a dining room

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Went to the PA Farm Show - have some pix.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

It's all Cam, Weedcat shows her the proper respect that is due her.

Bear Baby #2 needs to be named Cougar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

VS can you take current photos of the rest of the flock

Mostly Bloop

Always Bloop
He's the best