Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Look, I am very interested in this. But, I really came here for the pictures of fat enormous cocks. :dong:

Moar pics!

Also, I heard chickens need to eat gravel/limestone to have hard egg shells. Is this true?

Jenner fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Chido posted:

Well Rusty is in full mode broody and grumpy :3: It is a bit annoying to see her all day inside the coop (with no eggs), but I can't let the coop locked for long since the other hens want to go inside and lay too... just to have Rusty steal their eggs. I keep collecting the eggs every day, but man that tiny bird is one angry fluffball.

Can you post a few pics of extra floofy Rusty for us? It might help her deflate.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
:neckbeard: Squeeeee, lookit that hate in her eyes! :swoon:

Thank you, Chido!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Okay so, question. What do you guys do about fertilized eggs? Seeing as you have a rooster that is fertile and does some boning. How do you handle them to make sure there aren't a bunch of chicks? Are fertilized eggs edible?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
I feel like an idiot because I don't know this poo poo, I'm sorry for the derp question there.

So, if you had a fertilized egg you wouldn't be able to tell it was fertilized when you cracked it to eat it? I'm completely okay with eating babies but am weirded out by the thought of visible embryoness looking breakfast were I to start doing this for myself.

Do home-raised eggs actually have less cholesterol? I heard this somewhere and I'm curious about the fact to it. It doesn't seem to me the nutritional components of an egg would alter that much just from a change in environment.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Chido posted:

I don't know about cholesterol, but you can tell if an egg is fertilized because you can see a tiny mass of cells on the yolk. they look like a lighter color spot. I hope this is not image leeching, I'm linking a picture I found to tell the difference.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/_images/Fertile_vs_Infertile_egg.png

Oh awesome, you couldn't even tell unless you were really looking for it! ON WITH THE BABY EATING! :munch:

I want to one day get enough land to actually do this now because Chido's chickens look so sweet and cute :3: (I bet they're utter monsters!) Thank you all for answering my questions.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Besides the fact that you have an adorable big fluffy chicken and gain the potential of fertilized eggs and adorable baby chicks is there a point to having a rooster?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Chido posted:

Edit: forgot to add, we did the bandaging late in the afternoon so Roo would go to sleep soon afterwards. As soon as we let him go, he ran to the run... and chased and tried to furiously sit on as many hens as he could catch. WTF Roo, I just tried to cut your foot open and you suddenly wanted to sit on everything?

You emasculated him, he had to recuperate his machismo.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
How old was Roo, Chido?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
How long until Tabasco is old enough to get the ladies under control? (If that is even possible, he sound sa bit like a coward maybe puberty changes them in big ways?)

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
/\/\/\

I just don't know what one of Tim's finely bred high class chickens would do with themselves amongst Chido's henhoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Guys ohmygosh this was recently posted in the adorable thread in PYF and.. and... :kimchi: