Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Captain Foxy posted:

A friend of mine is setting up a coop in her backyard and has three chicks waiting to go in it!

There's a buff Orpington, black Australorp and the little brown one is a Barnevelder, the favorite so far. She's getting called the crazy chicken lady for keeping them inside and by her bed, and her roommate who 'has had chickens' claims it'll be fine to toss them outside in the coop once they're a month old.

We live in Oregon, and while it is beginning to warm up, it's still 40-50 degrees during the day, with a significant drop at night. The roommate says they'll be fine inside their coop with a light and we are 'worrying too much about chickens', but what's the consensus here?

I'm no chicken expert, but the fact that they seem to be crowding away from the light as much as possible seems to indicate it might be a little too bright/hot/close to the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

piscesbobbie posted:

I have a stupid question, when did this change from Pet Island to Penis Land?

It's always been Penis Land, what's this "Pet Island" poo poo? :confused:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's gonna be less pretty when your chicken eggs hatch out as basilisks. :ohdear:

Nah, it's safe provided a rooster didn't lay the eggs

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

unprofessional posted:

Chicken/duck photodump

Is there a term for those kind of feathers that are a different color on the edge? I've seen a bunch of different chickens that had 'em

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

angerbot posted:

User Tricky Twisty is hereby allowed to ask questions about chickens in this thread.

I'm good too, right?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)