Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

One of my chickens just picked the worst time to molt, when temps have gone as low as -15 degrees... poor girl :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yes but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyeWTFLzNZ4

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 11, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

None of my hens lets us pick them up. My rooster likes the cuddles though, and is just so friendly to humans he's familiar with. What a world!

They all don't mind us definitely though, and will all eat out of my hand. They're very social, just finicky when you reach out for them, except for my sweet boy.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Enfys posted:

I know that sound well :3: My chickens bully me constantly for delicious things and yell at me when I don't have any.

Same, once they see the treat bowl they know what's up. When I don't have it they still swarm my feet making weird disappointed conversation noises

Here's my gorgeous boy in warmer weather. It loving snowed today and they're as sick of it as I am.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

omg if you don't follow this tumblr it is the best

https://chickenkeeping.tumblr.com/

that baby chick is now this fabulous mohawk rockin li'l thing

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I just love that derpy look chickens have when they stick that one leg out while sunbathing :3:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

this broken hill posted:

zeborah and her precious babies, which are all 100% hers and look just like her and are not unusual in any way shape or form

Jesus christ how loud is your backyard

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I need to get about 10 more. My idiots all slowly got hit by cars and poo poo, as guineas tend to do.

I started off with 4 last year. One of them (luckily the male who was way too aggressive with the chickens, fucker would even pick on my rooster) got eaten by a raccoon, and another wandered off to god knows where. They are very entertaining birds though, and at some point I found their constant screeching to be kind of comforting.

It's amazing how small their brains are... when they fly over my fence and panic when they can't get back, it's like they forget they're capable of flying. They'll just walk the length of the fence for hours if I don't notice.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

They're from the eglu company (their coops are really popular in the uk I hear)

https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/feeders_and_drinkers/

sold out :/

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

Council of Chickens.

They plot

and they poop

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

Chickens aren't very good at pathfinding, are they?

About as bad as the Sims pathfinding, but once they establish their routine, and the environment doesn't change much, they get used to where things like fences and gates are. If you really want to get them to come somewhere quick, associate a noise with giving treats. Even something like shaking a bag of mealworms will make them go nuts and come to you in a flash!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Just keep bringing them treats and you'll eventually be recognized as the treat bringer, and everything you bring them will be pecked to nothingness. And then you'll have to contend with shoving the fluffy butts away when they swarm you when you don't have treats.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I hope you guys like nonstop peeping and scratching :3: Mine are currently 3 weeks old and such troublemakers. I can't change the bedding without a few of them trying to fly out of the brooder once I lift up the hardware cloth..

The worst part really was the first week when so many of them would have pasty butts that I had to clean every day.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mozi posted:

To give a break from the depressing bits, here they all are for egg time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6cMtJyWZIw

The one that's been having the trouble is the yellow one, you can probably tell it's smaller than the others. It's still mixing it up with everyone though.

The one with the yellow hat is Colonel Forbin, who I suspect is a rooster but really hope isn't.

I have that same brooder heater! Works great except for having to constantly clean poop off it..

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mozi posted:

namely emptying pine shavings out of the water.

This is my personal trigger

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

my cat is norris posted:

I caught Goofus trying to hump Betholomew. I think I have a third rooster... :sigh:

They're so sneaky.

Amazing

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh god it's poultry Homeward Bound but if Shadow actually died

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

from reddit

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

goddammit im blind sorry haha

here's some soothing peeping from my little babies in apologia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRKq_tAxWs0

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 2, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

Our chickens react to chipmunks by immediately charging them in a blood frenzy. So far the chipmunks have always escaped. So far.

Meanwhile, Rory has started announcing successful egg lays by spending a few minutes going "bkbkbkbkbkbkbkbkbkBGAWK! bkbkbkbkbkbkbkbkBGAWK!" in the middle of the backyard every morning. Lorelai and Mrs. Kim are still slacking off and haven't started laying yet despite being a few weeks older, but if they do the same thing the backyard is going to get pretty cacaphonous once they start.

Made egg fried rice over the weekend and holy poo poo these eggs are so yellow.

Omg Gilmore Chicks!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

spookygonk posted:

Not a battery hen is it?

oh no

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

spookygonk posted:

Anyway first day of retirement for Bella and Daisy. Had to be helped out of the Eglu first thing. They weren't still not very active or eating much in the cooler morning, but they have found out that the Eglu nest is a nice / safe / comfortable place to lay an egg. Bella laid her first egg today and Daisy laid a soft shelled one in the nest and the jelly shell outside.

To give them their first treat and to try and get them to eat more, I put some live mealworms in a bowl in front of them. Result? Both hens have had their first ever mealworms and they love them. Bella's beak will need trimming as her lower beak sticks out over the upper part meaning she can't peck things easily.

Dailsy has also been caught in out the sunshine and finds she *really needs* to sunbathe.

Please keep up the updates to the rescues :3 This warms my heart so much!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

I think Mrs. Kim has gone broody, she spends all day sitting in the nest box looking half-asleep and while I haven't seen this in action, I'm pretty sure she's stealing the eggs the other chickens lay.

Picked her up yesterday and extracted six eggs from under her. She reacted by standing in the doorway of the coop for five minutes going "bok...bok...bok...bok".

I'm sure she's trying her hardest to say, "you break, you buy!"

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

Mrs. Kim is still broody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GaKhgAKhIk

On the plus side, the other chickens have now figured out that there are two nest boxes, and have gotten used to laying in one with Mrs. Kim glaring at them from the other, so we're getting 1-2 eggs a day now rather than one every third day.

angry floof noises

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

That duck has some stylin headwear

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Look at that orb :3:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

guys guys guys someone from r/backyardchickens set up a chicken feeder livestream on twitch

https://www.twitch.tv/redpepper261

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

spookygonk posted:

Look at this wonderful bit o' Photoshop from ebay:

Suitable for four identical chickens and one giant one!

When your little dinosaurs grow up to be medium sized dinosaurs

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

A buck came by this morning to have breakfast with the chickens on the stream I linked earlier.

https://clips.twitch.tv/MuddyAbstemiousChowderTwitchRPG

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

incredible flesh posted:

i miss my guineas so much. stupid loving prehistoric idiots

Three of my guineas all hopped over my fence and ran away while free ranging, one by one, over a period of 3 months. I have one left. She has bonded with the rest of the chickens and seems less... guinea-like in behavior than before. Surprisingly I miss their annoying screeching at every single thing at their environment, and the scampering of their feet on the roof. Such dumb, stupid, panicky birds.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

My chickens sip the water on the porch after a rainfall like it's some kind of delicacy

Otherwise yeah mud and dirt water over clean water

not mine but lol

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

Since winter started the chickens have been on strike. Mrs. Kim finally stopped brooding, but none of them have laid anything in weeks, possibly because we're averaging one (short) day of sunlight every other week or so. We're having to buy eggs from the grocery store again. :(

They've also all decided that the start of winter is the best time to moult, so they look scraggly and unkempt as the new feathers grow in and the backyard is covered in shed feathers.

Checks out. Whenever I give them a particularly nice but one-off treat they get quite grumpy at me for not providing it daily.

We got january temps around november this year, which was when my chickens started to molt. Poor things were miserable. I'm still getting eggs from our one new pullet this year, but the older ladies are definitely on strike. It's really interesting how their combs turn pale again when they're not laying. They've mostly full feathered again now though, and enjoying the lovely 45-50 degree weather for the holidays???

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Pong is lovely, what a lady

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Enfys posted:

I will never tire of watching chickens dustbathe.

join in and sprinkle handfuls of dirt at them

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

pikachode posted:

she ate too much dirt

I'm sorry for your loss but dear god how has this species survived through natural selection

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

McGiggins posted:

Rooster tried to crow for the first time this afternoon. His juvenile :females: came running, which was super cool.

What a good boy :3: What breed is he?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

bliss

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

McGiggins posted:

Still not able to dispose of rooster.

Have placed him in my bedroom with blackout curtains in the mornings for now to prevent him from waking up until after 8 am. (Don't need him waking up the neighbours) He knows what's going on though because he keeps waking up, squealing angrily, attempting to peck me, and then going to back sleep.

This is a completely hand tamed bird so im pretty sure I'm being admonished by an animal that knows more or less what's going on, and is genuinely upset by the imposition.

When I had a roo, he would crow at 4 in the morning way before daybreak like clockwork. I couldn't imagine housing one indoors!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'm really lucky we have crows around here, they seem to do a good job keeping hawks away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Cam was having wind issues today, it blew up his tail and made him look like a big ol' flower...

Then he got it together and faced INTO the wind...

And eventually went out walking with Tater Tot. He listened very attentively to everything she said.

That is all. :)

I need more stories of Cam's adventures with Tater Tot please