Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
We have four hens in the backyard. I don't really remember their breeds (or their names) but they all get along.

We have gotten a new chick today from someone else. They were Easter chicks and this one was small and kind of a bully and got named Napoleon. They didn't want the bully chick so they handed it off to us. I heard the name Rhode Island Red thrown about, but I'm not really up to date on chicken breeds.

My mom is more the chicken person, but she's off her feet for a few weeks so I guess that leaves me taking care of the thing.

And I don't want to. I just don't want to deal with this new chick--it keeps peeping and making these ear splitting cries, it runs around the carrier trying desperately to get out (sticking its head through the bars, for example), and I know enough about chickens to know that it's probably lonely and wants a flock, but I don't know what to do.

Other than spending my entire day sitting by the thing and having Chickcam going, I don't know how to help it out, and it's only a month old so I don't think I can introduce it to the hens in the back and assume everything will go well.

Help, please. :(

This is the only picture I've managed to get. Click for massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?

Inveigle posted:

That is a VERY pretty chick! Can't you put the carrier (or a wire cage) out in the backyard with the other chickens so that the chick will at least be near the flock? That way, they'll get used to each other and the chick will be safe but still feel like it is with the flock.

Edit: of course, if it is still too cold outside, you can't do this since the chick doesn't yet have enough feathers to be warm without a heat source.

The temperature is getting in the high 50s/60s, so even if they were outside they'd be brought in for the night (temperature falls to about the 30s at night). Add in the fact that it's been really windy recently and I'm going to guess that it's probably too cold, isn't it. If that's okay then maybe I'll try taking the chick out tomorrow.

The only good thing is that the cats don't seem to be particularly interested in the chick. We have three cats, and while they'll sit and watch the chick for a bit, none have tried sticking their paws through the bars on the carrier to try and get to it.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
We put a cat toy inside (really it's a dog toy, little fluffy squeaky thing) and it's soft and I'm pretty sure the chick is sleeping next to it, so there's that.

I'm worried about just sitting next to it, because the chick tries to get out of the carrier by sticking its head through the bars and running back and forth and stuff, and I'm afraid it's going to end up hurting itself. You guys know chickens--they're not particularly bright at the best of times.

I live in northern AZ, Inveigle. It looks like it's actually getting warmer faster than I thought--we had another drat snowfall last weekend, which has since melted, and the forecast looks like we'll have highs up to 70 degrees. Still not going to leave them outside overnight, it gets stupid cold.

I took it outside this afternoon and introduced it to the hens. They all regarded it with caution, a couple of them pecked at Napoleon and were quickly shooed away. I'll try and get a picture of the chooks tomorrow. They're very pretty.

I'm not entirely fond of poop of any kind, much less the gooey sort that chickens have, and I'm sure the chick wants to explore more than stay put, but I guess if worst comes to worst I can try having her chill on me. My problem is that I absolutely cannot sit still, but hell, why not try. I was holding her earlier and she did feel shivery, but the three cats were all near and sniffing at her, so I wasn't sure if she was cold or just afraid.

Thank you for the help, guys. I don't mind chickens, usually, but we just got this one today and I was left alone with it all day and I'm feeling kind of put upon and resentful and I'm trying to figure out how to minimize that without getting worked up into a hovering worry or just outright neglecting it.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
Thanks for the help, everyone. :) I took it outside for a bit and it was having a blast digging around and having dirtbaths. I imagine this will go on for a while, too. Also moved her from the carrier to a big tub with a light on it, and put a washcloth on the bottom (for warmth and grip), and put in the dirt clod, her food and water, and the stuffed toy.

I also let the hens wander around the backyard a bit, since I was out and the chick wasn't easily accessible, and I got pictures of them for you guys. All I remember is that the black one is named Lucy Lawless. Mom says that the one with the ridiculous ear tufts is an Americana or mixed?

And a shot of Napoleon--very hard to get a good angle when the chick is running up to you.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
That's the one that my mom says might be Americana/mix. I can't remember any of their breeds.

As I've said repeatedly, I'm fine with the chick. I was not happy about having to spend a day I'd planned doing nothing putting up with this small creature that I don't know how to help out, and that really affected my attitude.

So in a word, yes.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?

Chido posted:

let the chick snuggle on your shoulder, she'll love leaning against your neck :3:

She hasn't grown on me that much.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
That last guy has the most metal comb. They all look pretty small--are they?

So, back by absolutely no request at all, here's Napoleon.

It's my mom's foot in the first shot, and mine in all the rest. I wear white socks with sandals, get over it. :colbert:

Little feathers are starting to come in on her head. I'll try to get more pics during the next dramatic change.

Also, after these pics, she found a patch of dirt and leaves and dug around in them and had a dirt bath. She was having so much fun. Sorry I didn't get a pic.

When will she be feathered and big enough that I can try introducing her to the hens without them pecking at her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
So a couple of our hens have rediscovered flight.

They were simply escaping the run and trying to get into the main yard because they'd run out of food (I dutifully refilled it after we got them down), but this is the second time recently that they've done this...clever girls.