Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreayshawns talent
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Man these threads popping up during springtime always make me wish our house was zoned to allow chicken keeping. A local no-kill organization successfully campaigned to keep it illegal though, for pretty understandable and practical reasons.

My ideal flock would be a couple guineas and few Americaunas. Dem baby blue eggs :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreayshawns talent
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

wheatpuppy posted:

I always worry when I see people buying chicks at the feed store, in case they have no idea what they're doing. There's a guy at my work who actually made me cry last year with his tale of how he bought ducklings at the hardware store to give them to his kids for Easter. They were little fuzzy yellow babies, who lasted in his house for less than a day before being banished to the (unheated) garage because "they are so loud and they poop". He kept them in a cardboard box with with a bowl of water that they refilled once a day, and fed them chunks of bread and birdseed.

Later he put the box in the backyard. "It was raining, but that's ok because they're ducks. I was worried that they would fly away but I don't think these are the kind of ducks that grow wings."
:suicide:

After about a week he stopped talking about the ducklings. He had mentioned taking them out to his sister who has a farm, so I like to think there was a happy ending. But I'm fairly sure they just died. :(

My friend (let's face it) impulse bought her chicks at a farm supply store. I'm guessing they come from the same hatcheries that supply factory farms.

I'd definitely stick to adopting from craigslist. You'll probably get healthier animals too.