Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If she's okay with eating chicken I don't see why potentially fertilized eggs should pose an ethical problem.

Pose an "Oh my god there's a little horrible mess in my frying pan" problem, maybe? I have no idea about that because I am not a chickenhaver, I only visit this thread for chicken pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Dog Proof: These things are basically metal tubes with a catch, spring, and metal pin. When the raccoon reaches in and pulls food out, a metal pin slams shut on its paw and traps it. This seems like the easiest trap to use. The problem is that it doesn't kill the racoon, and I will then have to kill the racoon with an axe or machete. I'm perfectly willing to do that.

My dad had good luck with these traps when he had raccoons loving around with his feeders. IIRC he baited them with jumbo marshmallows.

Whatever route you go with the traps, though, I'd definitely recommend getting that .22 from your dad. However much you dislike having a gun in the house, I promise you that you do not want to hack a trapped raccoon to death with an axe. It's not gonna stay still for the stroke and the results are likely to be gruesome.

Aside from that, the gun is also a lot safer, honestly. Raccoons are considered a primary carrier of rabies and if you get a bite or a scratch from one of them you're gonna need to get the shots for it. Same if you're hacking at it with an axe and spray blood on your face or on potentially broken skin. Maybe you could get away with dragging the corpse in for testing, not sure how it works where you live. But whatever way it goes, it's gonna loving suck and it's way safer to kill it with a .22 from a distance.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Joburg posted:

The first broody of the season, now named Large Marge, got moved to the new chicken shed this weekend. Now that she’s by herself we gave her the 4 incubator eggs that should hatch Tuesday-ish. She hasn’t been bothered by the move and she is absolutely dedicated to her eggs :3:

So you can just put a broody hen around any random eggs and she'll go "These are my eggs now"? Are there ever incidents with hens just going "All eggs are my eggs" and stealing them from each other?