Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

We had a rooster show up on our property one day about a year ago and he apparently lives here now. Can you help identify the breed? I may want to get him a mate and see if we can re-domesticate him. Right now he sleeps in our oak trees and hangs out in a giant conifer during the day. He won't let us get within 10 feet of him. We've been feeding him scratch, meal worms and pellets and he appears to be healthy overall. I'm not sure how he ended up in our yard but he seems to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna
May 31, 2001

Joburg posted:

Wow, he’s gorgeous! I’m no good at breeds though. You might post on backyardchickens.com, that site has a whole forum section about identification.

If you want to get him a mate, you’d better get a more than one. Roosters are pretty hard on hens if they don’t have a harem.

Can I get any breed of hen? I think he is a Pekin Bantam but not 100%. I would assume any other type of bantam would be OK.

Luna
May 31, 2001

Lawson posted:

Not just any other bantam. Our bantam polish crested rooster has abandoned all his former favorites and now exclusively serves two Brahma Big Girls. Quantity over quality any day.

He hasn't had any in at least over a year so I'm sure his taste are flexible.

Luna
May 31, 2001

So I'm getting our first coop setup. What do you guys use for heating? I'm in eastern Tennessee so the winters are relatively mild but we do get to the single digits occasionally.

Luna
May 31, 2001

So this happened during a visit to Tractor Supply. We think it is 3 females and one male, but not 100%. They are assorted bantams but one is starting to look like a frizzle.

Luna
May 31, 2001

These guys are 3 weeks old now. I'm going to have to move them to a bigger enclosure soon.

Luna
May 31, 2001

We're pretty sure the big blonde one is a rooster. We're 50/50 on the Frizzle and pretty sure the other two are hens.

Luna
May 31, 2001

Hi guys, heard you guys got chickens in this thread.

Luna
May 31, 2001

Chics moved into their new home this weekend, next stop is the coop!

Luna
May 31, 2001

Finally got around to naming our chics. They are 5 weeks old today.

Yngwie J Malmsteen

Jackson Brownie

Bill Frisell

Fuzzy Butt

Luna
May 31, 2001

Joburg posted:

She’s so lovely! Happy anniversary!

I’ve been thinking about your retired hens while I’m dealing with my little rooster dudes. Everything is new (and scary) to them. I wish they understood about treats already. Right now they still panic when I give them scratch. And you should have seen the pandemonium when I gave them a banana :(

They have started coming down the ramp though. Baby steps!

Mine are about this age now and I'm surprised they manage to make it through the day without killing themselves or each other. One of them doesn't understand the coop is where you go to sleep. I have to catch him everyday and put him in the box or he runs around panicking that everyone else is gone.

Luna
May 31, 2001

Not as cute as Tiny Man but Yngwie is a good rooster. He's about 14 weeks now.

Also these 2 assholes (are good chickens)

And the legend Bill Frissel

Luna fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 24, 2021

Luna
May 31, 2001

BHB posted:

I'm in a similar boat:

I know they're good for shade, and I put extra water trays out everywhere but I can't help but be a little worried. my poor birds just aren't used to these sorts of temperatures :ohdear:

I don't know if you can get a box fan to them, but that is what is saving our rear end right now. We also freeze bottles and jugs of water to stage around the coop on the worst days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna
May 31, 2001

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Tiny little murder beasts.

The first time I saw one of my hens rushing about with a frog dangling from her beak, I followed because I was concerned she'd choke or something and then watched as she basically opened her giant maw of death and gulped it down with no problem before rushing back for more.

I saw one of our roosters grab a snake and before I could finish asking myself if it was venomous or not, he sucked it down like spaghetti. My next thought was, "I guess we'll find out shortly."