Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Hi all! I haven't posted here before, but this weekend my wife thought it would be a good idea to go out to the feed store with the grandkids, so here's who just came home with us:

The kids named them, so from left to right, we've got Kirby, Pippin, Napoleon, and staring at the camera Jem who's clearly the brains of the bunch. So two gold sex links, some sort of easter egg hen, and a Barnevelder.

We've had chickens before, but we've been without for quite a few years, so I'm gonna have to clear out the wasp nests from the coop and fix a couple of panels and repaint the thing. Still, it's nice to have some peeps around again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

The peeps have gotten too big for their plastic bin and moved to bigger digs in the garage. They have tiny little wings now that they mostly use to boost their altitude when jumping on each other. Jem is having to work hard to stay on top of the pecking order; Kirby is angling in and constantly challenging her. The new sand bath is mostly being eaten for grit, which seems to have helped them realize that bird seed is a treat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS_gmTA1nQ0

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hey chicken thread, I started giving out feather-shaped plat icons to the bird crazies and realized I would be remiss in not offering them to you all as well, our backyard brothers and sisters. If any of you would like a feather post here or in the bird crazies thread or just PM me :) you can poke into the other thread to see what it looks like ahead of time if you want. Offer applies to both chicken thread regulars and lurkers.

I would love a feather too!

Our peeps are in the last days of their cute chick stage, about to turn into awkward scrawny dinosaurs. We're keeping them relatively tame by hand feeding them quinoa, which they love. I cleared the wasp nests from the coop but couldn't get anybody at Lowe's to cut plywood for me so the repairs may have to be made out of scraps I have on hand. Should still have a couple of weeks before they need to move out though.

Jem staring at the camera again. Front center is Kirby, who was the paler of the two gold sex links but grew dark wings, and behind her is Pippin, who was dark and grew pale wings. On the left, Napoleon, who loves to climb.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

5er posted:

The past 11 months of backyard chickening with my girls (Zilla, Fluffy, Sam & Ella) have been fun, uncomplicated maintenance, entertaining, just fantastic with all the eggs, and holy poo poo inexpensive.

So, because our coop & backyard allotment could support up to 8, and my personal hard cap is 6, I picked up two more buff orpingtons today.

What tiny fluffballs!

Here it was a big day for our big birds, the first day to go outside! I put some netting on a greenhouse frame and let the peeps camp out in the chicken yard that will eventually be their home.

Come afternoon, they had already flattened half the grass in the cage. I've been dumping all my leaves in the chicken yard for a few years but without chickens they're piling up, let's see how long it takes these girls to reduce them to dust!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Are you gonna get RGB chickens for that coop

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

meanwhile, this is what i was until now proud of having accomplished this weekend:

our girls got a feed shelter built out of scrap lumber and a 4x8 foot asphalt fiberglass roofing panel, and the chicken yard is completely enclosed in bird netting to discourage flight attempts, and today they moved out!

now we're trying to get them to figure out that the coop is where they're supposed to roost, but they don't even want to go in there with the aid of birdseed and breadcrumbs. perhaps it's too early. if they don't figure it out, we'll wait for them to fall asleep wherever and then put them in there, i guess

oh, and one of our girls has taken to crowing most mornings :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Errant Gin Monks posted:

These idiots are outside now with their brooder. Should be good to go!

you're gonna get so many wings