Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinkerton
Jan 21, 2002

Never sleeping...
I've been interested in raising a few chickens for years and, now that my wife and I are finally moving into a house, I'm planning to get started this summer. I have a couple of questions:

1. I live in New England and, while our winters are not as bad as say Fargo, temperatures can get fairly cold. From the reading I've done online, it seems that the use of heat lamps is pretty controversial. Some say they're necessary to prevent the chickens from getting frostbite while others say that chickens are fine without them even in cold climates. What are your thoughts?

2. Is it possible to sex baby chicks? I really don't want a rooster as I would imagine that the crowing at 6AM would be a nuisance. Does this mean I need to purchase older birds in order to ensure that they are female?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinkerton
Jan 21, 2002

Never sleeping...

Alterian posted:

Good advice

Thanks. I suppose I will wait until next spring to purchase chicks and spend my time this summmer perfecting the coop.