Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My chickens love pork rinds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I think each chicken is different on whether or not they're loud. Our New Hampshire squawks every time she sees a person or hears our cars come home from work or sees a light come on the kitchen in the morning... Our orpington only squawks if she's expecting to be fed and our barred rock hardly makes any noise.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

How bad a coop is depends on how many chickens there are!

Chickens lay based on the number of daylight hours. They take a break during winter months. If he really wanted to, he could set up a light on a timer in their coop and trick them. I usually just give my hens a break in the winter.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Does anyone know if you can get ex battery hens in the US?

My husband talks about wanting to start a chicken rescue when we get our next house with more land. He wants to break into lovely farms and steal chickens so they can live happy chicken lives. I think finding a place to get ex battery hens would be a bit easier....

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Remember to clip their wings too if you haven't already.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

One of my chickens loves to lay in our dog's house. :argh:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

CaptBubba posted:

One of our dogs learned how to catch them from watching us and would help us by running after the chicken and then just... standing over it. The hen would just sit there frozen and let us pick her up and the speed at which he could "catch" them made the whole process a bunch less stressful for everyone involved.

I thought this was just them resigning to being mated or something?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

wheatpuppy posted:

My mom used to tell me that double-yolk eggs only occur if they're fertilized. But she also told me ponies were baby horses, so... grain of salt.

Nope. I get some from one of my hens once in a while and we don't have any roosters. I'm always amazed at all the false preconceptions about chickens that are out there.

I constantly have to explain how we can still get eggs from our hens even though we don't have a rooster.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Nettle Soup posted:

I think I'll buy some plastic sheets and make a chicken shelter.

I hope you're being a bit facetious because chickens need more than just a roof.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ugh don't keep chickens indoors. They're really really dirty and make a giant mess. They produce a lot of dust on their wings any any room you put them in is going to end up filthy and your whole place will likely just smell like chicken. Even if you did turn the cage over, 6ft x 4ft x 2ft isn't even that much room for 2 chickens to be in most of the time. Definitely not turned the other way. Chickens aren't vertical animals and prefer to be on the ground than sitting up on perches all day.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My chickens hate getting wet, but they love to take extra dust baths in the shade when its hot.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We have a drainage pipe in our backyard that's about a foot in diameter and I've caught ours going and sitting in the cold underground cooled dirt in it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Be prepared to dust a lot. Chickens are dirty and produce a lot of dust off their feathers. I personally don't think keeping a chicken inside is a good idea. They need a place to scratch around.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Trimming chicken wing feathers takes about 5 seconds. Its really not that hard. We usually have to cut some of our's secondary flight feathers too or they can just barely make it over the fence. :argh:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My chickens love eating snakes and skinks. The only snakes I've ever seen in my yard are small non-poisonous snakes though. I try to save them if I can and put them out of reach in my garden since they eat pests.

My husband jokes he wants to get a tattoo of a badass chicken fighting a snake.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'd love a whole flock of the cuckoo partridge orpingtons http://www.kippenencyclopedie.nl/php/index.php?title=Orpington

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Unfortunately we can't get anymore chickens at this time. We might be building a bigger coop/fenced area next spring. If we do, we can get 3 more! Right now the 3 we have can run around our entire backyard, but we just had a baby. We have to start prepping the yard so he can play outside. I don't want him getting into chicken poo poo just running around. Our backyard grass is so incredibly lush though. Oh well.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Birds don't like the taste of grape kool aid.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you get that you have to get the appropriate coin purse.
http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Chick-Chicken-Wallet-Zipper/dp/B009KSR862/ref=pd_sbs_a_5

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We *might* be able to get 3 more chickens this year. It all depends on if we can get a new coop/chicken area set up in our backyard. If I wanted to order chicks from mypetchicken.com, how far in advance would people who have used this service recommend me ordering? I saw that you can select female or male chicks, but how accurate are they?

New neighbors have moved in 2 houses down from us and they've built a shanty town in their backyard for various fowl. It makes me slightly annoyed because I'm worried they're going to build a bad rep in the neighborhood for keeping birds. They also have a rooster. I'm not sure how many chickens they have, but they also have ducks. They seem to have a decent amount of birds too. They did finally build an enclosure. The ducks had been wandering into other people's yards. They were in the back of our direct neighbors yard. We have our yard fenced in enough that it would take effort for any of them to get into any part of it, but I also don't know how well kept they are and I don't want them spreading diseases to our flock.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

There's no law against roosters, but we live in a suburb. We're technically in the county and not the city. Its more that I've always tried to be courteous to other neighbors. The house plots are about 1/3rd an acre or so so you aren't RIGHT against each other, but close enough that you can definitely hear them.

The ducks don't seem to be getting out anymore because they finally put up a fence around their shanty town. I should try to take some pics. It looks awful.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Here is the chicken shanty the neighbors put up. This looks a lot better than what it use to look like.

I haven't posted one in a while so here's one of my 3 girls. They're turning 3 this month!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Those flowers wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hey Bantaras. I do art for a living and love your feeders. How much would I have to pay you to make a feeder for me if I supplied the artwork? We're suppose to build a newer better chicken area this spring and I'd love a new feeder for it!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Bantaras posted:

Hey Alterian!
I've been selling them for $35 plus shipping.
The materials come to about $25, and I add about $10 for the labor. I'd love to make you one!
Can we show it off here when we're done?

I've been wanting to make a feeder with a graphic of a chicken and her belongings tied up in a bandanna on a stick walking out. - (or maybe it should be a picture of a fried chicken?) that says:
"If you don't lay,
You don't stay"

wish I could draw!

I don't know when I'd have time to do it. I told my husband about it and he's all for it! He's an artist too haha. We're still thinking about what sort of design we'd want. Part of me wants to bust out my acrylics and do a sort of cheesy folk art painting and just scan it. He wants to design a logo like a WW2 animal cartoon mascot with its dukes up (think flying hellfish logo from the simpsons) of one of our chickens.

We have a 3 month old, both work full time and my husband is in grad school so it might be a little while before we have time to sit down and design it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Where did you get those giant rolls of hardware cloth? Do you remember the dimensions?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

One of our chickens is dead. RIP Pickles. You had a good 3 years. :smith:

We're pretty sure one of our dogs killed her. This might be the straw that broke the camel's back and we might have to put her down. It feels wrong to put a physically healthy dog down, but she's become more and more dangerous. She's at least 10 or 11 years old. We're not entirely sure since we got her from a shelter. She's always had some issues I think because of abuse from her previous owners. We had a dog trainer work with her who has decades of experience and use to train tigers tell us in all his years he's never met a weirder dog than her because she was insanely smart for a dog but didn't give a poo poo to listen. The past couple of years she's been getting meaner and meaner to the point she lives in the backyard now. My husband wants to build a kennel for her to stay in, but I think it might be more cruel to make her live in a kennel 24/7. Mistakes happen and she could attack something again. We have a 4 month old kid now and I don't know what I would do if she managed to get out and hurt him. I use to think I was just a crappy owner or owning dogs wasn't as great as people made it out to be until we got our second dog and he's sweet and gentle. I still get anxiety about dogs though. I don't like to interact with dogs I don't know 100% and I still get nervous I'm going to be attacked. My husband is going out of town for a week starting tomorrow. He's building a temporary jail for her to stay in until he gets back and we decide what to do.

The silver lining is we'll be able to get 4 chicks this year instead of 3 once our new coop and run are built.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

She's in the temporary kennel until my husband gets back from his work trip and we can take her to the vet and talk it over with them. The chicken killing was sort of the last straw like I said. She has started attacking people and drawing blood. Her behavior has been slowly declining over the past 3 years or so. That's one of the reasons she's an outdoor dog now. We're not entirely sure exactly what sort of breed she is since we got her from a shelter. Our best guess is a Pomeranian/beagle but who knows. She's been in the kennel for about a day now and birds have already returned to our bird feeders and our other dog isn't scared to go outside to pee anymore :shobon: This is the last I'll say about this issue since it is a chicken thread. I just wanted to let people know that the situation is being dealt with and she'll no longer be allowed to be around other animals.

Edit: and incase anyone was worried, she's not allowed in the same room as the baby even the few times she's been in the house due to weather.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you need another duck or chick you might be able to find a bunch in a week or so after they're no longer cute for easter.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The thought of using a suet cage to hold vegetable treats for chickens is sort of a "no duh". I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner considering how they like to try and get up on our deck and eat the suet we put out for the birds.

I like how our yard where the chickens live is weed-free and only grows grass (and stilt grass :argh:) and the other parts of our yard are full of chickweed, dead nettles, and henbit. My mom was visiting and found it funny how when I weed I throw whatever I pull out over the fence into the backyard for the chickens to eat.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 6, 2013

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Zeta Taskforce posted:

How long it was before she started to eat her best bud? If I ever died suddenly in my coop I wonder how many minutes it would take for them to start eating me? :smith:

You don't even need to be dead. Just maimed slightly and at a disadvantage.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm sure I posted this before. My husband stepped on some unexpected broken glass in our yard. While he was walking back to the house to deal with it dripping blood all over the grass, the chickens were freaking out following behind trying to eat up as much of the bloody grass as they could.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Edit: NM. I realized you have more!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I always recommend Orpingtons. They're super fluffy and easy to handle.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Little Jerry died. :sigh: She was sick with something and didn't make it. Now we're down to one chicken. This is the worst time because we really can't get chicks at this point in time. Lacuna has always been a sort of loner chicken anyway since the other 2 always picked on her.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lacuna, our lone chicken, is doing pretty well by herself. She follows our lab around the yard. Its pretty cute. This isn't the dog that killed our other chicken. He doesn't have any aggression towards other animals so I'm not too worried. Squirrels have no fear of him to our dismay. He just watches them run around a few feet from him.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I love how cochins look like they're wearing bellbottoms.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

unprofessional posted:

Somebody buy me a pair of Ayam Cemani, please. Thanks in advance!

Those are pretty badass. The Goths of the chicken world.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Did anyone else get annoyed at that one episode of the Netflix show Orange is the New Black? Nobody seems to have told chickens they can't fly. They can do it surprisingly well. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Episode 5: The Chickening.