Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I love emus. They look like some weird muppet from Labyrinth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

The weather is getting nice and wet for summer, the chickens are very happy. The pony is too, though he's still scared of umbrellas so feeding him while it is raining isn't as fun.

Meanwhile, I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBa0l-WLWYE

I think this is the sound that ends the world.

For those unaware:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gullinkambi
:black101:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Who else is bringing their chickens inside tonight?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We only have one which is one of the reasons I brought her inside. Her flockmates died over the past year.

There's a fat hen in my shower.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Thankfully we have a half bath (its the wrong half. Its a sink and a shower) that we don't use and keep our litter boxes in. She's going to get kicked out in the morning since it won't be too bad during the day.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Inveigle posted:

Awwww. What a plump cutie! Barred Rocks are so soft-looking too. Is she enjoying her visit? :)

The photo is a little washed out, but she looks a lot nicer in person. She just went through a big molt so her feathers are nice and new. She got a lot fluffier this past molt compared to others. She's a very quiet chicken. She was at the bottom of the pecking order when we had more than just her. We've wanted to get more, but we might be moving in about 5 years. We want to deal with all that first. We have a ban on any new animals before that comes around.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

White yolk eggs are possible
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/07/12/201501977/help-my-egg-yolks-are-freakishly-white

My dad took a trip to Russia a couple years ago and told me the eggs had white yolks there.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We bought a nice large sized igloo doghouse for our lab. It was raining so we peaked outside to see if he was using it. (he's kinda dumb) He was sleeping curled up outside of it in the rain. We went outside to investigate and found our chicken had taken over the doghouse and wouldn't let him in.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Our one crazy dog killed one of our chickens after years of protecting them and leaving them alone. Our other dog is at the bottom of the pecking order and like I've posted, lets the chicken sleep in his dog house. It varies widely on a dog by dog basis.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I need this thing.

You're in luck!
https://www.etsy.com/market/avon_rooster

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chickens eat anything they think can fit in their mouth and then sometimes they eat things that don't fit very well. It all may or may not be actual food.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lots of sadness in this thread recently. I took a cute video of my kid and my chicken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGk4RvK-Kqw

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

He'll give her a kiss too, but my camera ran out of batteries before I could get any footage.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I wish I could be friends with a crow. I wonder if you could attract them to your yard as a natural hawk deterrent.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If that picture from the article is his chickens, the middle one is a rooster.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Not a chicken, but thought you guys might appreciate it. We get this mini vulture on our birdfeeder every summer.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Its a female cardnial. We get that one and another one at our bird feeder every year along with regular looking cardnals.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Check out your community colleges in the area and see if they have any continuing education classes in art. You can usually take a "Beginners Painting" class for a reasonable amount of money.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ours were spring chicks and did their first molt in December right after our first snow.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

This is the best wine if you can find it http://www.wine.com/v6/The-Chook-Sparkling-Shiraz/wine/122277/Detail.aspx?state=CA

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It was 10 years ago I got my first flock. Now that we're all done moving around (Hopefully forever!) I can get chickens again! I guess everyone is panicking and buying chickens right now. I really hope there isn't a bunch of abandoned chickens in a couple months when people get over them. I put in a hold at a local hatchery for 3 buff orpingtons (my favorite!) and 2 norwegian jaerhons. They are going to hatch May 20th!

Edit: Dang. My last post in this thread was in 2014!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My old flock would go bananas for cooked shrimp shells.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I confirmed my order of 3 buff orpingtons and 2 Norwegians for pick up on the 21st.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

5er posted:

Brace yourself for floof! My orps are the fluffiest god drat things and I can barely stand it.

I've had oprs, Plymouth barred rocks, and New Hampshires. I liked the orpingtons the best and was originally just going to get 5 of them. The place I'm getting them from had the Norwegian Jaerhorns listed for hatching the same day and I thought what the hell, they look interesting. The write ups about them say they have a decent personality usually too. They're easy to sex too since I really don't want a rooster.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What if you dislike breast meat and prefer leg meat. Is there a chicken breed that gets thicc legs?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Its hard to photograph 5 chicks at the same time.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Mine are a little more than a month old now. My husband promises their coop will be done this weekend. They're currently spending the days outside in a movable baby gate area and the nights in our shed inside a plastic kiddie pool surrounded by chicken wire. They were in my art studio, but our Norwegians can already fly and kept getting out despite a heavy cloth over the top of it and making GBS threads all over the place. At least if they get out in the shed its not as big of a deal if they poo poo everywhere. None of them went through an awkward phase yet. They just look like little chickens. Their feathers came in nice and even.

The Norwegians being bad trying to get out of their temp outside pen

My almost 2 year old is a chicken whisperer. He can walk up to them and scoop them up without a problem. He's gentle too.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Anyone have experience with hawk deterrents? I'd like to give them more space in their fenced in run. I don't want to have to build a structure around the whole thing. I was thinking about either having camo net or shade cloth above it as well as hanging some reflectors.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Mozi posted:

stringing up fishing line above their outdoor area was pretty effective for me. i also had a plastic hawk i would put out occasionally and move around. you can get bird netting on amazon that may also work but it's hard to deal with (easy to tangle) and birds can get caught in it which is bad. really i guess the best thing is to have plenty of things for the chickens to hide in or under (shrubbery and whatnot) and accept that if you free range there will be losses over time. i ended up making a large secure run and not free ranging - just had too small a flock for the losses to not hurt

I've heard about the fishing line. We have a fake owl we've been moving around the yard for now. They're going to be semi - free range. We're fencing off part of our yard for them. We live on 1.5 acres in the woods. They won't have access to most of it, but enough that they should be pretty comfortable. There are red shoulder hawks that patrol the area sometimes. Reading on the internet, it seems that type of hawk may or may not be interested in chickens. There are A LOT of squirrels around and that tends to be their preferred food it seems.
We moved since we've had chickens. This is the first time having them at our new house.There was never an issue with our old flock because we had dogs that liked to spend most of their time outdoors. Now we just have a puppy and our fence in the yard isn't 100% solid so it can't be out unsupervised anyway.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My husband promised me our coop is going to be ready either today or tomorrow. I'm getting tired of moving them in and out of the workshop to their kiddie pool temporary house every morning and evening. We measured out the spot we're going to fence in around the coop and its going to be roughly a 35' x 35' area. I ordered some netting to hang above it to keep the hawks away. It should be here on Thursday. We're going to work on getting the fence up this week as well so hopefully by this weekend they'll be in their permanent digs.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Sorry to double post but its done! Not 100%, but well enough for them to sleep in tonight. We need to make an actual ramp and we're going to attach nest boxes to it soon. I'm just happy they won't spend another night in my workshop. The fence can go up tomorrow.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lawson posted:

This reminds me when I said to myself I'll close that inch-wide gap under the roof of the coop tomorrow and then woke up to four raccooned pullets.

Haha. This isn't our first trip around the hen house. The coop itself seals up tightly and is going to be locked every night. They have a small portable enclosed area I've been moving around the yard during the day for them. They're not allowed to be out and about until their fenced in area is 100% done.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

A coop that small you can just scoot it over one width or length a day. It shouldn't take long and you go out to the coop every day anyway I assume.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The pen is done! It took a little longer to finish than expected because we decided to give them more space. It ended up being 1,500 ft² for five chickens. We put netting and ropes above to deter the hawks and it also helps keep them in the pen.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 23, 2020

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

spookygonk posted:

That is way cool.
(you're gonna need more hens, just because)

Thanks! I probably wouldn't put too many more in the space. We'd need to build another coop or make our current one bigger if we did. We tried to pick a size where the area shouldn't be 100% destroyed and pecked clean and their outdoor waste can let nature take its course without getting too smelly. We have an acre and a half of land, The pen is in the back right side of the fenced in area of our backyard. There's a gate in the middle that leads to the wild forested part of the property. We still have a spot to the left of the gate that is not very useful as is. its semi overgrown and weedy with lots of little saplings and bushes among the tall trees. I was joking with my husband that we could make another chicken pen over there and make a bridge over the gate for them to cross over to it. My rough estimate is that area could be about 3000 sqft.

Or we can get a couple of milk goats.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Does anyone have any experience putting leg bands on chickens? I'd like to be able to identify them a little bit better since we have three of one breed and two of another. Some of the ones on Amazon look like they're just zip ties. I only need five and it looks like most packs are 100 or more.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The cute ones with charms are tempting but I'd be worried it gets stuck on something they're scratching around in. That's another reason I was questioning the zip tie style ones because I wouldn't want the little nub to get stuck on something.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My Norwegian Jaerhons are autosex but they might be hard to find.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Any suggestions on training chickens to use the waterers with the little cup they peck at?

My Norwegians, Astrid and Valkyrie broke containment this morning. It's crazy how well they can fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

fauna posted:

omg they're so cute! i've never seen this breed before. they're so streamlined :kimchi: (perfect for flight)

They're troublemakers. They actually broke containment last night, but we didn't have time to fix the issue until today. My husband went to close up the coop at sunset and only counted 4 (we also have 3 buff orps). He heard a noise and looked up and one of them had gotten out and flew on top of our bird netting and was roosting above the coop. I had to come out and help. One of us would stick our arm through the net, pick her up while the other moved closer to the edge of the pen sticking an arm through the net and getting her passed over like a weird 2 person net hot potato of flapping.

This is where I got them from: https://www.facebook.com/theurbanchickennc/

Their breed list makes it hard to not want a little bit of everything. I knew I wanted some buffs and I almost went with the Sapphire Gems too.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 8, 2020