Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smitz
Nov 5, 2003

Jork Juggler posted:

Some say that no dog can be trusted around chickens.

Tie the dead chicken to the dogs collar. Leave it there for a few months. That dog will never kill another chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smitz
Nov 5, 2003

If you want to get into meat birds, a great source I found is your local city's chicken owners yahoo email list. The austin one has about 1 email per week about "one of my ladies turned out to be a dude and is starting to crow, does anyone want a rooster :(". I'll usually reply and say "if you can't find anyone to adopt it, I'll take it, give it a few happy weeks with my ladies, and then butcher it.". I've gotten about 15 young roosters so far in about 2 years, and there could have been many more but I'm lazy.

edit: you can make your DIY plucker out of a spraypaint lid, drill some holes into it, thread some rubber bungee cord through the holes, and mount the whole thing on a drill in a vice. While it spins in place, just hold the bird against it, works almost as well as a tub / rubber finger plucker.

smitz
Nov 5, 2003

A flying piece of posted:

Do you have racoons or possums? They will literally reach through that chicken wire, and tear a chicken through it, piece by piece, I've seen this mess and it it's NSFW.
Like other posters in this thread have mentioned, use poultry netting if you can, and bury it a few inches deep so nothing can dig under it.

If you don't have bad rear end predators in your area, carry on :)