Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane.

Chido posted:

K, I need some help with one of my chickens, I've already posted in bakyardchickens.com but nobody has replied yet. I hope you guys can help me.

Try First State Vet Supply, it's run by Peter Brown, the "Chicken Doctor." He offers consults and you can buy just about any medication you need off his site. I frequently see him recommended on BYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

WrathofKhan posted:

Even wilder than Polish are Appenzeller Spitzhauben. They have mohawks!
http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/Appenzeller-Spitzhauben-B11.aspx

I've got a trio of Spitzhaubens, the roo is the only one with a close to correct crest though, th 2 pullets both have Polish-like crests. I'm still really interested in them, but finding good quality stock seems almost impossible. I've sold off a bunch of Easter Eggers to make room for some show quality Light Brahmas later in the year. Here's my Spitz roo, name suggestions welcome:

And one where you can see one of the poorly crested pullets in the background:

These guys came from My Pet Chicken, so as far as quality goes, YMMV.

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Chido posted:

Get one of these. I think brahmas lay brown eggs.

See that body? He's fluffy, has a smallish comb, feathered legs, and he can handle the cold. Get some brahmas, standard or bantam, they are awesome :D

Roostroyer, a challenger appears...

Meet Latrice, 9 months old and already 10lbs of fluffy Brahma awesomeness.

Here's his girlfriend, Jiggly:

And 2 gigantic fluffy Brahma butts: :3:

Seriously, I also totally recommend Brahmas to anybody getting chickens. They are an awesome breed, beautiful, not very noisy, and very friendly/easy to handle. This is my first pair, but I've got some eggs in the incubator, both from this pair and some really rare Blue Brahmas I got from another breeder, hoping for a good hatch... Of all the breeds of chickens I've had or have now, the Brahmas are definitely my favorites and I plan to make them the majority of my flock. I've already got a waiting list on chicks or eggs from these guys and I'm hoping to get 1-2 more pullets from the breeder I got this first pair from later in the year.

The other breeds I have right now are Easter Eggers, Marans (Blue Birchen, Black Copper, Silver Cuckoo), and the Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. In the incubator along with the Brahmas I've got purebred Ameracuanas (including some that carry the silkied gene, a breeding project started by some over on the BYC forums), pure Aracuanas, more Marans (Blue Birchen, Black Copper, Silver Cuckoo), BLR Wyandottes, and Cochins. I plan to keep some to upgrade my flock and sell the rest, the main focus is going to be the Brahmas though. Who knew chickens were so addictive??

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Chido posted:

Tell me about it :psyduck: Btw Roo is still the king of the fluffbuttes because his comb is ginormous... and he doesn't have to go out to look for hens, the silly things come to him :smug:

:eng101: Ah, but the Brahma is supposed to have a SMALL pea comb and Latrice thinks he's too good for those street walkin' ho chickens lol. I saw the LF Light Brahmas at the Ft Worth Stock Show and was instantly like now THAT is a chicken! The breeder I got this pair from has been breeding and showing them for 44 years, his lines are a total outcross to any other LF Light Brahmas out there since he always maintained a closed breeding colony and they're regarded as some of the best around (OK, I didn't know any of this before, just thought I was buying a pair of cool chickens). The local LF Brahma breeders I had been in contact with who didn't have any for sale at the time are now lining up wanting eggs and chicks, there have even been offers to buy this pair. So it begins... :psyduck:

Seriously though, this started as getting a few guineas to control the bugs and weeds (and skirt the very loose HOA "rules"). Then neighbors started asking for fresh eggs, and I figured "what the hell, get a few chickens," so the first batch of 10 Easter Eggers arrived and I became the neighborhood egg dealer. A couple friends wanted to split up orders of hatchery chicks, so the numbers and breeds grew last Fall. I sold off my extras on Craigslist a couple months ago and made $300 in 2 weeks selling the younger pullets. Now I'm hooked and totally understand what "chicken math" is all about!

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Chido posted:

Edit: I saw pictures of blue laced red brahmas in feathersite, you have to have at least one of them, they are so pretty! and yes, chicken math is sneaky. We started with only 3 mutt chickies, then my BIL wanted a rooster... My limit is 10 chickens. I want to get either another BR like Spaghetti because I love her coloring and how vocal she is, or a black jersey giant. I'd love to get a dark brahma hen, but the websites that sell you 3 chicks don't carry dark ones, and my local feed store doesn't seem to order them :(.

From what I've found out, the LF Dark Brahmas are almost impossible to find outside hatchery stock now, but the BYC forums is a good place to start looking for someone that has them and will sell you eggs to hatch or some chicks (I've seen LF Dark Brahma eggs for sale on eBay too). You can also check out Poultry Press for someone that might have them. The hens are gorgeous with their penciling though. The whole reason I went to a private breeder to get these Brahmas was because I wanted the Lights (MPC only had Buffs), and I didn't want to get stuck ordering 25-30 chicks from another hatchery since I didn't have anybody that wanted to split up a chick order again. It just turns out I stumbled across what is supposedly one of the best and most sought after lines of Brahmas. The breeder himself was very nice, spent a lot of time telling me about his breeding program and the breed and said he'd send me the best pair he had available. I didn't really find out about the rep for quality his lines had until I emailed pics to a local breeder I had been talking to about buying something from him later in the year and he went nuts over Latrice and Jiggly. Since then, a couple other breeders in the area have contacted me asking if I want to show them and asking for eggs or chicks out of the pair or to buy them outright. OK, not what I was expecting, but kinda cool and with the prices these people have offered to pay, I will try to hatch some eggs out now.:dance:

The Brahma eggs I have in the incubator right now are solid blues, not the laced ones, although I'd love to get the laced at some point. drat you, chicken math!!!:argh:

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

^^Check your PMs. :)

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Chido, I might be getting some Buff Laced Brahma eggs next month! :woop:

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Chido posted:

... :aaaaa: That brahma color is so pretty and rare! I hope you take lots of pictures of the chicks when they hatch :D!

Now if you can make a brahma chickam when they hatch... XD

The breeder that sent me the Blue Brahma eggs owed me some due to a few getting broken in shipping. I'm going out of town in mid-May and didn't want to start another hatch before then, so she said she would probably have eggs from her buff laced trio by the time I get back and could send those as replacements instead. I might be able to set up a chick cam...

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Chido posted:

I hope so too, she's my favorite hen because she's so docile and sweet. When we bought her from the feed store last year, the owner had dropped all her chickens there. She didn't want them anymore because they were noisy and somebody supposedly had complained about the noise. She was there when we were buying feed, so Spaghetti didn't spend time at the store at all.

The previous owner said she got her the previous Easter. If that's true, then my grumpy lady is a little bit over 2 years old. She's never had a normal solid poop, it always comes out in a big splash. She had some nasty scratches and wounds on her back (that Roo made worse until I noticed how bad they really were... :(), her feathers were dirty and felt harsh. The poor thing was in a poor condition. then she got a nasty respiratory infection last December, lost a lot of weight.

Still, Spaghetti is still here and she has improved a bit. After she molted her feathers got so soft and fluffy, and she isn't so skinny. Her breastbone is still very prominent, but at this point I'm just glad she's been overall ok. She hasn't laid any eggs since last year :(, and I know she won't live as long as the other chickens we have, but at least she has a huge yard to explore and lots of dirt to scratch :unsmith:

Have you tried going to First State Vet Supply for a "consult" and to check out the supplies they have? I buy from there and I've heard a lot of BYC people say their consulting service is great. You might also want to try worming all of them, I've found the easiest product to use is as a broad spectrum antiparasite medicine is the Eprinex Pour On for cattle. You can find lots more info on it over at BYC.

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Chido posted:

Aww Nettle Soup, I'm so sorry for your loss :smith: There should be more vets willing to see chickens, I don't understand why if vets study to treat birds like parrots and other pet birds, why won't they see chickens? Is it rally that different to treat a chicken? :(

Technically, large animal vets are the ones that are supposed to treat poultry, and they are the only ones that can give out health certificates, etc. for them. Luckily, I have an awesome vet that reinstated her large animal credentials to be able to do the state required paperwork for my birds, and will treat (even do surgery) on my chickens and guineas. They also have another relief vet that works part time at the practice who is large animal licensed and used to do a lot of poultry work in OK (where cock fighting is still legal :( ).

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

HeadcrabPie posted:

Yesterday I went to pick up my new ball of fluff, a currently nameless Silkie!

I have some experience with chickens but it's been quite a while. Right now it's in a large plastic tub with pine shavings and an infrared lamp on one side (sitting around 90 degrees), stuffing its face like there's no tomorrow. He (she?) was hatched on the 18th of this month. :3:

This chick is going to be a housepet. A friend of mine has an indoor chicken who runs around with a chicken diaper, and turned me on to the idea.

Is there anything I should know beyond the basics? Do any of you have experience keeping an indoor chicken?

Also, beautiful chickens in this thread!

Your chick looks like it is a vaulted skull Silkie, so you may need to be a little more careful with her/him. Silkies really aren't good free range chickens. They're kinda delicate and once all their fluff grows in, they can't see that well. Also, since they can't fly at all, they're easy targets for predators. They do make some of the best pet chickens of any breed though.

I also live in rural TX and get those gigantic grasshoppers. The other day I saw a couple of the chickens (Easter Eggers) chase one down, peck it a few times, and then just stared at it as it hobbled around. The guineas ran over and snarfed it up... maybe my chickens are too well fed?? :saddowns:

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Nettle Soup posted:

I have collected a ton of feathers off my chickens the past couple of days, I never realised how many they lose!

On that note, I have TONS of polka dot Guinea feathers. PM me if interested, I'll mail 'em for free.

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Chido posted:

Why is it so hard to find a decent cockerel/rooster? I don't like how the ones I've seen at my local feed store look, they look rather unhealthy. I've browsed the sale/rehoming sections in BYC and see if anybody is selling or needs to relocate a n EE, cochin, or brahma rooster near my home, and no luck. I saw a beautiful dorking rooster there, but it's in texas and I can't afford the shipping fee for a big bird :qq:

Edit: lookit them short legs, it's like dorkings are the corgis of chickens :3:

http://staleyclan.com/Our%20Animals/chickens/images/2004%2011-%2029%20English%20Dorking%20Rooster1.jpg

Chido, I wish you were closer, I have a Gold Laced Brahma roo that needs a home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Dark Brahmas!!! :woop:

After a couple years of searching and being on breeders' waiting lists, it finally paid off and I got a pair of show quality LF Darks! They are about 8 months old and arrived from Blue Hour Poultry yesterday:

The roo, Groot, is almost waist height to me when he's standing up. He's going to be HUGE! The pullet still doesn't have a name...

The penciling pattern on her is gorgeous though...

Unfortunately, I lost my Light Brahma roo over the summer, but he left behind some interesting offspring...

These two are out of a Silver Laced Wyandotte.

This is out of a Swedish Flower Hen. She basically looks like a crested Brahma.