Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Dik Hz posted:

I raised chickens for 4-H for several years growing up, and am twice the county junior champion chicken showman. So, if anyone has questions about how to show off your cock appropriately (Anthony Wiener itt?), feel free to ask.

I'm not showing any chickens and haven't been in 4H for decades, but I'd like to hear about showing chickens, just out of curiosity. I know a fair bit about various livestock, dogs, and cats, but nothing about showing chickens. What do you do to groom them for the shows? Are there any tricks of the trade that showmen do to help their roosters get the blue ribbon? Mostly I think it would be cool for someone to be able to brag, "My cock won first place!" :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Oh, and I won a trophy for showing my cock to an arena full of strangers.

That should pretty much be on your stationery, business cards, bumper sticker, and t-shirt.

You said handling tough breeds with ease could get you more with the judges. What are some of the breeds and their differences? I assume it's mostly about their temperaments and willingness be handled, crowd tolerance, etc.? How is the egg production category tested and judged?

How well do chickens tolerate water baths and towel drying? I thought they preferred dust baths. Do you use a special shampoo? Do you shine up their combs with Vaseline or anything like that? (Forgive me if that comes across as a bizarre question. I've seen people do some goofy stuff to livestock to make them look snazzy for the judges.)

Why did you show chickens? I mean, as opposed to some other animal or a non-animal category like pickles or strawberry bread? (I won blue ribbons for both of those. :smug:) When did you quit showing? Did you outgrow it or move to the big city? Ever do any show judging?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm starting to think this place needs a barnyard subforum.

:love: That would be awesome. I want to see a dairy goat megathread. :neckbeard:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Ok, so there are lots of chicken folks here, so I want to ask - what's the deal with very thin, watery egg whites? We get eggs from a friend who keeps chickens and sometimes (1 or 2 per dozen) an egg will have a very watery white and a slight greenish tinge. She said it's from their diet and vitamins she gives them and that the eggs are safe, but I can't bring myself to use them. :ohdear: FWIW, they smell fine. I give them to our dog and he hasn't gotten sick from it. I just wondered why some whites would be so watery when the rest seem normal in the same "batch." I guess all the watery eggs could be from the same hen... I don't know. :iiam: to me. Am I just being fussy or am I poisoning my dog? :woof: :smith:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

WrathofKhan posted:

I'm going to take a picture of her, because seriously, she's a ball of pure rage at this point. Its hilarious and awesome.

Yes please! More chick pix! :neckbeard:

Also, so no one has any personal experience with watery and/or greenish egg whites? I googled it and I got answers ranging from "harmless diet thing" to "bacterial infection DO NOT EAT." I think I'm gonna stop giving those weird ones to my dog just to be on the safe side. :iiam:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

meriruka posted:

Here's a pic of hen saddles to protect hen's backs from roos.

Wow, that is so :3:
Now I want chickens just so I can put those on them. :downs:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Your new babies are all so :3: But naming a hen Dagda... that's just wrong. :colbert: That's got to be a rooster's name, and even then, it'd be The Dagda. But hey, it's your poultry. :) I like Black Mama the bestest. :3: Name the reddish one Thor. :mmmhmm:

"I just laid a HUGE egg and man am I Thor!"

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Inveigle posted:

chicken nipples

Serella posted:

:stare:

Words you never think you'll read in that sequence.

True. But if I were going to ever see chicken nipples, I would expect it to be on YouTube.

Was down at the local feed & supply to get dog food and they had loads of chicks and baby ducks in. drat, so cute. Not sure how much longer I can resist the temptation. :ohdear:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Uh, yea, I get all that about impulse buying Easter chicks, ducks, bunnies etc. but that isn't the kind of area we live in. I mean, it's possible someone clueless might wander into Bowman's on a whim, but their usual clientele knows their way around a farm. The animals there aren't being sold for Easter pets. Easter isn't the only thing going on right now. Most of the folks I see at Bowman's probably wouldn't know a Craigslist if it bit 'em in the rear end. I was only joking about the temptation. All animals are adorable to me as babies, but I wouldn't bring home anything unless I was completely prepared to take care of it.

I can't speak for every feed store, but the ones I've been to have animals from farms that people know or can get to know. I have no complaints about them. I would definitely buy from a feed store before Craigslist. Actually, I probably would never use Craigslist for that purpose, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

RazorBunny posted:

You've obviously never heard of balut...

I should not have Googled that. :barf: