Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
That model appears to have a phono input so you should be ok without a preamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Peas and Rice posted:

If I get something like this, would I still need a preamp? I have an AT LP-3 but would turn off (or disable) its internal pre-amp.

It has a phono in so probably not

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

no regrets

https://twitter.com/NewsFedora/status/953376630076067840

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Gonna be very disappointed if that is vinyl. It should be shellac.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Peas and Rice posted:

If I get something like this, would I still need a preamp? I have an AT LP-3 but would turn off (or disable) its internal pre-amp.

I have a similar receiver and get a lot of noise if I use the phono input. Unfortunately the turntable doesn’t have anywhere to attach grounding wire. I’ve never had to ground my last turn table and receiver combo, so not entirely sure that would fix it.

I use the builtin preamp amp and CD input on the receiver and that fixes the problem, but it greatly irritates my OCD.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Gonna be very disappointed if that is vinyl. It should be shellac.

My immersion is ruined.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Minority Records is selling the Samorost 3 LP for 70% off with the code: S3-2018. It's a really chill soundtrack and it has very nice packaging and some art prints for extras. I'd recommend getting one.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Earthbound came in today from STS. Was excited to hear that they were putting the Yetee/STS promo flexi in with some of the orders because my order had to have been one of the first (ordered it within about a minute of the repress being added to the site on September 7), but I opened the package and wasn't one of the lucky ones, I guess. Literally the only STS VGM release I don't have is that promo flexi. :sweatdrop:

edit: Fangamer got their Sonic Adventure box sets delivered today, so they should be shipping out this week if anyone else was curious about an update.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 22, 2018

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Bloodplay it again posted:

Earthbound came in today from STS. Was excited to hear that they were putting the Yetee/STS promo flexi in with some of the orders because my order had to have been one of the first (ordered it within about a minute of the repress being added to the site on September 7), but I opened the package and wasn't one of the lucky ones, I guess. Literally the only STS VGM release I don't have is that promo flexi. :sweatdrop:

What a shame

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Has anyone tried a *really* soiled record through a spin clean? I inherited a lot of older records who were wet and as a result the sleeves/jackets stuck to them. I've been hand washing to get it out but that doesn't really scale very well. However I'm uncertain if one of the cheaper record cleaning solutions like the spin would handle it since all the demos seem to be more of your standard fingerprints and dust.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got a spin clean and don't think it would do a very good job with that. You would probably need to do a quick hand wash to get all the solid stuff off first.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

jiffypop45 posted:

Has anyone tried a *really* soiled record through a spin clean? I inherited a lot of older records who were wet and as a result the sleeves/jackets stuck to them. I've been hand washing to get it out but that doesn't really scale very well. However I'm uncertain if one of the cheaper record cleaning solutions like the spin would handle it since all the demos seem to be more of your standard fingerprints and dust.

I had a few NIN singles that were in a flooded basement given to me. They were the worst I've seen, and spin clean got them to pretty flawless playback. Overall I had a really good experience cleaning my bad records.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Asnorban posted:

I had a few NIN singles that were in a flooded basement given to me. They were the worst I've seen, and spin clean got them to pretty flawless playback. Overall I had a really good experience cleaning my bad records.

Did you have to hand clean first then run it through? I'd just be concerned about getting the brushes too dirty.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

jiffypop45 posted:

Did you have to hand clean first then run it through? I'd just be concerned about getting the brushes too dirty.

I wiped them down, but didn't do a thorough hand clean. Hopefully I didn't mess up my brushes. It did kill my solution for that day, so I'd recommend doing any particularly bad records towards the end of a cleaning session and then maybe doing them again at the beginning of the next one if you think it needs another go.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Sounds great! Thanks for the information! There's approximately 100 of them so it's a bit of work but I recently had my 80s technics sl1350 serviced so I've got some motivation now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There is literally no better way to clean records at home than washing them in the kitchen sink with a soft sponge and some Fairy. Unless you're rich enough to afford an ultra-sound cleaner or something. The very idea of a spin cleaner is idiotic.

(I had one and quickly realized there's no way for it to actually get my records very clean after the first use.)

e: And I don't really see why it wouldn't scale well?

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

There is literally no better way to clean records at home than washing them in the kitchen sink with a soft sponge and some Fairy. Unless you're rich enough to afford an ultra-sound cleaner or something. The very idea of a spin cleaner is idiotic.

(I had one and quickly realized there's no way for it to actually get my records very clean after the first use.)

Is it not faster to use a spin clean? Seemed like it would be and would help from getting the label wet however that might just be me and my sink setup since I live in a tiny studio. It's a lot to pay if it's not a lot better. As Dawn, water and microfiber are pretty cheap.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jiffypop45 posted:

Is it not faster to use a spin clean? Seemed like it would be and would help from getting the label wet however that might just be me and my sink setup since I live in a tiny studio. It's a lot to pay if it's not a lot better. As Dawn, water and microfiber are pretty cheap.

The labels absolutely will get wet, and then they will dry, and then no-one will be able to tell they were wet at one point.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Clean the brushes off when you're done with them. Also they are replaceable. I've been using a spin clean for years and I have no complaints. I don't normally have to clean anything that's unusually dirty but on the few occasions I did it worked out well.

Also, what the hell is Fairy?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Clean the brushes off when you're done with them. Also they are replaceable. I've been using a spin clean for years and I have no complaints. I don't normally have to clean anything that's unusually dirty but on the few occasions I did it worked out well.

Also, what the hell is Fairy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_(brand)

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Vinyl Me Please has a flash sale going if you're a member for that. To each their own, but I was happy to get the Dan Deacon 10th Anniversary Spiderman of the Rings and the last Torres album for $30 shipped.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Amazon also dropped prices like crazy yesterday with no announcement.

I just picked up a bunch of Beck, Arcade Fire, and Wilco albums for <$15 each.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Schremp Howard posted:

Vinyl Me Please has a flash sale going if you're a member for that. To each their own, but I was happy to get the Dan Deacon 10th Anniversary Spiderman of the Rings and the last Torres album for $30 shipped.

I had just ordered the Dan Deacon record two days before the sale (hasn't shipped yet.) Sent a request to cancel my order or refund the difference. Hopefully they come through.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Amazon also dropped prices like crazy yesterday with no announcement.

I just picked up a bunch of Beck, Arcade Fire, and Wilco albums for <$15 each.

Speaking of Beck, does anyone know if they're going to bother reissuing Mutations and Midnight Vultures?

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Mutations was reissued last October I believe. Reissue sounds great! No word on Midnite Vultures yet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

mia2000 posted:

Mutations was reissued last October I believe. Reissue sounds great! No word on Midnite Vultures yet.

Thanks. I don't know how that got by me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Did anyone who preordered the analog Loveless/Isn't Anything reissues get theirs yet?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
My pre order of the Groundislava self titled reissue came in and I guess someone had a misshap packaging it and I ended upwith two of the bonus single

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

hexwren posted:

Did anyone who preordered the analog Loveless/Isn't Anything reissues get theirs yet?

I just got Isn't Anything and it apparently shipped with a bonus disc of an unused mastering that was rejected. Neat. I haven't listened to it yet so I couldn't tell you about the quality, sorry.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ben Carsons Ghost posted:

I just got Isn't Anything and it apparently shipped with a bonus disc of an unused mastering that was rejected. Neat. I haven't listened to it yet so I couldn't tell you about the quality, sorry.

I'm not worried about the quality, just the shipping - the mbv website says it shipped on the 15th, and even trans-atlantic shipping, that seems like it's taking a long time

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

hexwren posted:

I'm not worried about the quality, just the shipping - the mbv website says it shipped on the 15th, and even trans-atlantic shipping, that seems like it's taking a long time

huh, me too, and i'm on the east coast of the US. hope it shows soon

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
So the "ship" dates on the website are basically all false. Go to https://www.trackyourparcel.eu/ and use your order number and zip code to find out when your stuff was actually shipped out. Mine was yesterday. Not great, MBV!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mine shipped on the 30th. That makes me feel a bit better about it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

TheIndividual posted:

So the "ship" dates on the website are basically all false. Go to https://www.trackyourparcel.eu/ and use your order number and zip code to find out when your stuff was actually shipped out. Mine was yesterday. Not great, MBV!

thanks! mine was on the first so should be arriving shortly (based on past experience with bleep it usually takes about a week)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I may need to ship a fair amount of individual records soon. Any good advice on how to do it safely?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I may need to ship a fair amount of individual records soon. Any good advice on how to do it safely?

I've gotten records in the mail that were just sandwiched between two larger pieces of corrugated cardboard, and taped along the seams. Never had a problem with that.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I just picked up Donna Summers’ Bad Girls and I didn’t realize it was produced by Giorgio Moroder! Very cool. Was also able to snag a bunch of Herbie Hancock and am looking forward to binging them tonight while looking for samples. Oh and I grabbed the classic Getz/Gilberto because I want to start branching into music from other cultures and his seemed like a great place to start.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

MrSargent posted:

I just picked up Donna Summers’ Bad Girls and I didn’t realize it was produced by Giorgio Moroder! Very cool.
Nice, I actually picked up a Donna Summer double album at Goodwill today. Some dance studio dropped off a bunch of late 80s stuff. A few have notes on the back saying what dances go to what songs, but aside from that they're in perfect shape. Most were marked $3 so I left them but all these were $1.50.

But the best record of all was this one:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

wa27 posted:

Nice, I actually picked up a Donna Summer double album at Goodwill today. Some dance studio dropped off a bunch of late 80s stuff. A few have notes on the back saying what dances go to what songs, but aside from that they're in perfect shape. Most were marked $3 so I left them but all these were $1.50.

But the best record of all was this one:

Dude great haul! I have both of those Lionel Richie albums, one of which I also got at goodwill haha.

My last Goodwill adventure was quite fruitful, grabbed Anita Baker, Patti Labelle, Ahmad Jamal, and a couple random Timbaland singles which are always fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You guys should please both post pictures of the gatefolds of both of those Lionel Ritchie albums. Thanks.