Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

This thread has really influenced my purchases here lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Senator Giroux posted:

This thread has really influenced my purchases here lately.

Nice buys. I wish I could find some Sparks albums.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
speaking of Sparks...

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/999798247169384448?s=21

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
So I ended up picking up the Sony PS-LX210. I have come across a couple of issues. I know I have to change the needle (the seller told me) and I know which model needle I need to pick up. What I can't figure out is if the reason the arm runs across the record and keeps skipping constantly is a problem of the needle being worn or a problem with the arm. There is an anti skip dial but it doesn't seem to help. I don't have a scale to test the arm strength either. How can one adjust the arm force and do records skip because of a worn needle?thanks.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
e: Wrong thread

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 26, 2018

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Wizgot posted:

So I ended up picking up the Sony PS-LX210. I have come across a couple of issues. I know I have to change the needle (the seller told me) and I know which model needle I need to pick up. What I can't figure out is if the reason the arm runs across the record and keeps skipping constantly is a problem of the needle being worn or a problem with the arm. There is an anti skip dial but it doesn't seem to help. I don't have a scale to test the arm strength either. How can one adjust the arm force and do records skip because of a worn needle?thanks.

You need to manually balance the tone arm. Turn the counter weight until the tonearm is pointing upward then slowly turn it back until it is perpendicular? Is that the right term? To the platter.

Now it should be at 0 grams, you might have a 2nd dial that you can set to 0. Now turn the weight to the suggested weight for your cartridge. Set anti skate to about the same, I if the weight is 2g set it to 2.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This lady rules.

Also: holy balls that setlist got an upgrade. :popeye:
What the Hell Is It This Time?
Hasta Manana Monsieur
Unaware
Propaganda
At Home, At Work, At Play
Tryouts for the Human Race
Probably Nothing
Missionary Position
Hippopotamus
B.C.
I Wish You Were Fun
The Rhythm Thief
Edith Piaf (Said It Better Than Me)
Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth
My Way (Claude François cover)
When Do I Get to Sing "My Way"
The Number One Song in Heaven
This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us
My Baby's Taking Me Home

Encore: Change
Amateur Hour
Suburban Homeboy

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I trust my eyes as much as i trust my ears and just bought a scale. $14 to Know For Sure.

I spent 10 minutes getting it level by eye, zeroed out the counterweight, weighed it on the scale, found out it was a little over a gram too heavy. Buy the scale

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Wizgot posted:

So... this turntable apparently has a really wacky balancing system. This is an image from a manual for the LX310 and LX311. The 311 has a simple adjustment screw, but the 310 (which I believe yours is like) adjusted differently. I don't really understand it but maybe someone else can chime in.

I think the gist of it is you just slide the weight until it's at the right tracking force (1.5-2.5 grams for your cartridge). I don't know what the pivot screw nonsense is.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 26, 2018

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

pwn posted:

I trust my eyes as much as i trust my ears and just bought a scale. $14 to Know For Sure.

I spent 10 minutes getting it level by eye, zeroed out the counterweight, weighed it on the scale, found out it was a little over a gram too heavy. Buy the scale

I have that same scale, it's a good one.

Edit--> oh wow, yeah looking at that diagram above I would get a scale unless there is some standard weight like a dime or other coins you could use that you know the weight of.

Boinks fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 26, 2018

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
They just released the Prince version of Nothing Compares 2 U as a single. I picked that up today and it sounds great.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

They just released the Prince version of Nothing Compares 2 U as a single. I picked that up today and it sounds great.

Awesome. I don’t have to keep waffling on buying a $120 copy of it from Discogs.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Weekend haul at a garage sale. 10 bucks for all of them.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Rad. What are the other X albums like, compared to Los Angeles and Wild Gift?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Flaggy posted:

I'd like to know where these garage sales are that have poo poo like this instead of Barry Manilow comps and showtunes from the 50s.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I'd like to know where these garage sales are that have poo poo like this instead of Barry Manilow comps and showtunes from the 50s.
For real.

Also last time I was in a Goodwill, they were asking ridiculous prices like :10bux: for the usual beat up 70s Country and lite rock. It took a decade or two but news of The Vinyl Resurgence™ has finally made it to Susan at Goodwill Industries International, Inc.

:rip: Finding cheap records at Goodwill. It was fun while it lasted

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

pwn posted:

For real.

Also last time I was in a Goodwill, they were asking ridiculous prices like :10bux: for the usual beat up 70s Country and lite rock. It took a decade or two but news of The Vinyl Resurgence™ has finally made it to Susan at Goodwill Industries International, Inc.

Seriously this. A year ago, Goodwill was selling every record for a dollar. I went last week and almost everything was at $3 a record, even lovely 50s records no one wants.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Now is a great time for CDs at Goodwill though

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

wa27 posted:

So... this turntable apparently has a really wacky balancing system. This is an image from a manual for the LX310 and LX311. The 311 has a simple adjustment screw, but the 310 (which I believe yours is like) adjusted differently. I don't really understand it but maybe someone else can chime in.

I think the gist of it is you just slide the weight until it's at the right tracking force (1.5-2.5 grams for your cartridge). I don't know what the pivot screw nonsense is.

Thank you for the info. I will test this out later on. I am currently buying a replacement needle since the seller told me that it should be replaced soon.

This pages tells me that the repalecement cartridge for my turntable is a Sony VL-42G VL42G cartridge and a Sony ND-142G ND142G needle stylus. I am not sure what the difference is between the two but I am planning to buy an Audio Technica 00974-DS-OR cartridge that says it is compatible with my turntable (sony ps-LX-210)(here).

Am I correct? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to double check. Thanks guys.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

For real.

The thrift store I got to usually just throws all the records in a bin for a buck but occasionally they put one in a display case with a price tag. The other day I was in there and there was a copy of some Toto album for ten bucks. Meanwhile I went in there last summer and found a pristine first pressing of Husker Du's Zen Arcade and bought it for less than a dollar along with some other stuff that fetches decent but not especially high prices. All in all I got about a hundred dollars worth of records for under six dollars. So they're trying to price gouge but they don't know how.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Wizgot posted:

Thank you for the info. I will test this out later on. I am currently buying a replacement needle since the seller told me that it should be replaced soon.

This pages tells me that the repalecement cartridge for my turntable is a Sony VL-42G VL42G cartridge and a Sony ND-142G ND142G needle stylus. I am not sure what the difference is between the two but I am planning to buy an Audio Technica 00974-DS-OR cartridge that says it is compatible with my turntable (sony ps-LX-210)(here).

Am I correct? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to double check. Thanks guys.

That stylus should be compatible with your cartridge.

The cartridge is the part with the wires plugged in, the stylus is the needle.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Boinks posted:

Now is a great time for CDs at Goodwill though

cassettes float around 50 cents at the ones around me, and 8-tracks are around 25c when they show up.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Toe Rag posted:

Rad. What are the other X albums like, compared to Los Angeles and Wild Gift?

I liked Under a Big Black Sun, but they get to be diminishing returns and by the time you get to See How We Are, it’s weird alt-country

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Grand Prize Winner posted:

cassettes float around 50 cents at the ones around me, and 8-tracks are around 25c when they show up.

UK shops and charity places pretty much dropped cassettes even though there are a lot of good ones out there and they still sound as good as records.

Vinyls on the other hand are populating everywhere more and more.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Kitchener posted:

they still sound as good as records.

Not even close to being true.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
finally got my favourite EP of the last year :toot:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Great haul this weekend, can't believe all the rare finds!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Flaggy posted:

for real, special beat service is one of my all-time favorite records - it's just so fun

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

This haul was from the "rich" section of my town.

hexwren posted:

for real, special beat service is one of my all-time favorite records - it's just so fun

Agreed.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I met a record dealer through another dealer who i had met on Craigslist and I can definitely say that networking is the absolute way to go if you are serious about collecting. First off, the guys I met and talked to are really cool and super knowledgeable about tons of music and music production. This guy gets new inventory of really top quality stuff about every week and calls me up so I can come by and have a first look at it before he organizes it and puts stuff on ebay/discogs.

The guy I met up with this weekend is incredibly knowledgeable so its not like I am finding $100 records that I am getting for a dollar, but he usually sells any 45 for $1 (everything is VG+) and if I buy a stack, he usually drops it to 50 cents a 45. LP's are $3 for most of them, all media is VG+ and the covers vary, but I have gotten some really quality stuff. He let me grab a "Moods of Marvin Gaye" LP for $10 and the thing is in pristine condition (see it on discogs for at least $20). The cool part was that after I had put together my LP's and 45's that I could afford and paid him, he told me "Ok now pick out 5 more 45's and 5 more LP's for free". And after that he said "Ok now let's go to the garage and you can grab anything you want, it's all free." Now, there was a lot of country in the garage that I wasn't interested in, but still plenty of great 45's like Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Stevie Nicks, Doobie Brothers, etc.

Meeting good people, talking music, and digging for records. I don't know if it gets much better than that.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Forced Exposure's %15 off sale for *IN STOCK* (not LOW STOCK, bummer) ends today, just FYI.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

CPL593H posted:

Not even close to being true.

Type IV tapes with Dolby-S sound incredibly warm with no noise and their quality is excellent.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Type IV tapes with Dolby-S sound incredibly warm with no noise and their quality is excellent.

Yes, I know. But those are a very specific tape, the tape decks with Dolby S are fairly uncommon and the record labels usually put commercially released music on lower quality tapes.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've been getting big into cassettes recently for some reason. I've got a few hundred and probably less than half of them even use chrome tape, much less metal tape (I've never even seen a type-IV in the wild). Most use Dolby B at least.

While I like collecting them and I listen to them quite often, I'm under no illusion that they sound anywhere near as good as digital or even vinyl. Call it "warmth" if you want, but the high end just isn't there. Tape hiss has never bothered me, and neither has vinyl pops and clicks. Muffled sound is no good, though.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

my car has a working tape deck so i buy tapes on occasion and listen to them in my car.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I have a bunch of pre-orders rolling in but unfortunately almost all of them have arrived with significant warps.

Prince Nothing Compares 2 U - Warped to the point that it warbles.
Earth - Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull - Pretty bad warp, might affect the sound, but definitely big and noticeable.
Donald Austin - Crazy Legs - Huge warp
The Nineteenth Hole - Smilin' - Big gentle warp

Been in touch with Southern Lord and they are trying to track down another silver copy, but I told them I would take the regular press. I have been wanting that album for a while.
Sent an email out to LITA, hopefully can get a replacement copy of Crazy Legs, Smilin' isn't that bad so not gonna press my luck with that. I don't know if this is a pressing plant problem or how they are stored or shipped but new records are such a crapshoot.

But, I did get to see Mduo Moctar again. If you are into Tinariwen or desert blues check them out if you get a chance. I bought this record the first time I saw them and had it signed.

More pictures...

Madlib arrived in pristine condtion

Warped Earth...

And some funky stuff... also warped.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

wa27 posted:

I've been getting big into cassettes recently for some reason. I've got a few hundred and probably less than half of them even use chrome tape, much less metal tape (I've never even seen a type-IV in the wild). Most use Dolby B at least.

While I like collecting them and I listen to them quite often, I'm under no illusion that they sound anywhere near as good as digital or even vinyl. Call it "warmth" if you want, but the high end just isn't there. Tape hiss has never bothered me, and neither has vinyl pops and clicks. Muffled sound is no good, though.

Please support your local noise scene by buying their scum tapes, thank you

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

sporklift posted:

Warped Wax

Assuming you live anywhere north of the equator, summer is always a dicey time to ship records. They end up sitting on a hot truck at various points along the way and if they aren't packaged just so they'll warp pretty easily.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

JACK WHITE, SEND ME MY TROUT MASK REPLICA. :argh:

I know they said early June and I don't care. Gimme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

JACK WHITE, SEND ME MY TROUT MASK REPLICA. :argh:

I know they said early June and I don't care. Gimme.
Just be happy you could afford it :cry: