Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«498 »
The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

This thread has really influenced my purchases here lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 14, 2007

The Senator Giroux posted:

This thread has really influenced my purchases here lately.

Nice buys. I wish I could find some Sparks albums.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

speaking of Sparks...

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/sta...7169384448?s=21

Wizgot
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

So I ended up picking up the Sony PS-LX210. I have come across a couple of issues. I know I have to change the needle (the seller told me) and I know which model needle I need to pick up. What I can't figure out is if the reason the arm runs across the record and keeps skipping constantly is a problem of the needle being worn or a problem with the arm. There is an anti skip dial but it doesn't seem to help. I don't have a scale to test the arm strength either. How can one adjust the arm force and do records skip because of a worn needle?thanks.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

e: Wrong thread

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at May 25, 2018 around 23:02

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Wizgot posted:

So I ended up picking up the Sony PS-LX210. I have come across a couple of issues. I know I have to change the needle (the seller told me) and I know which model needle I need to pick up. What I can't figure out is if the reason the arm runs across the record and keeps skipping constantly is a problem of the needle being worn or a problem with the arm. There is an anti skip dial but it doesn't seem to help. I don't have a scale to test the arm strength either. How can one adjust the arm force and do records skip because of a worn needle?thanks.

You need to manually balance the tone arm. Turn the counter weight until the tonearm is pointing upward then slowly turn it back until it is perpendicular? Is that the right term? To the platter.

Now it should be at 0 grams, you might have a 2nd dial that you can set to 0. Now turn the weight to the suggested weight for your cartridge. Set anti skate to about the same, I if the weight is 2g set it to 2.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This lady rules.

Also: holy balls that setlist got an upgrade.
What the Hell Is It This Time?
Hasta Manana Monsieur
Unaware
Propaganda
At Home, At Work, At Play
Tryouts for the Human Race
Probably Nothing
Missionary Position
Hippopotamus
B.C.
I Wish You Were Fun
The Rhythm Thief
Edith Piaf (Said It Better Than Me)
Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth
My Way (Claude François cover)
When Do I Get to Sing "My Way"
The Number One Song in Heaven
This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us
My Baby's Taking Me Home

Encore: Change
Amateur Hour
Suburban Homeboy

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

I trust my eyes as much as i trust my ears and just bought a scale. $14 to Know For Sure.

I spent 10 minutes getting it level by eye, zeroed out the counterweight, weighed it on the scale, found out it was a little over a gram too heavy. Buy the scale

wa27
Jan 14, 2007

Wizgot posted:

So... this turntable apparently has a really wacky balancing system. This is an image from a manual for the LX310 and LX311. The 311 has a simple adjustment screw, but the 310 (which I believe yours is like) adjusted differently. I don't really understand it but maybe someone else can chime in.

I think the gist of it is you just slide the weight until it's at the right tracking force (1.5-2.5 grams for your cartridge). I don't know what the pivot screw nonsense is.

wa27 fucked around with this message at May 25, 2018 around 23:54

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

pwn posted:

I trust my eyes as much as i trust my ears and just bought a scale. $14 to Know For Sure.

I spent 10 minutes getting it level by eye, zeroed out the counterweight, weighed it on the scale, found out it was a little over a gram too heavy. Buy the scale

I have that same scale, it's a good one.

Edit--> oh wow, yeah looking at that diagram above I would get a scale unless there is some standard weight like a dime or other coins you could use that you know the weight of.

Boinks fucked around with this message at May 25, 2018 around 23:56

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'd buy that for a dollar!

They just released the Prince version of Nothing Compares 2 U as a single. I picked that up today and it sounds great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

They just released the Prince version of Nothing Compares 2 U as a single. I picked that up today and it sounds great.

Awesome. I don’t have to keep waffling on buying a $120 copy of it from Discogs.

«498 »