Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

The Science Goy posted:

It's more hip hop funk than hip hop jazz, but Kamaal Williams' new record "The Return" is super dope. They were playing it last time I was at the record store.

Re: LP120 preamp, can't you just flip the switch on the back to bypass it? I'm doing exactly that with mine, since the phono pre on my reciever is a lot nicer than the built in pre on the LP120.

The bypass on the LP120 preamp isn't a true bypass and introduces noise. Some dude did an A/B on the wav file of the same exact record pre and post removing the preamp and there was a noticeable difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

MrSargent posted:

The bypass on the LP120 preamp isn't a true bypass and introduces noise. Some dude did an A/B on the wav file of the same exact record pre and post removing the preamp and there was a noticeable difference.

Ah, I didn't realize that. The LP120 pre isn't causing noticeable noise for me at this time - I don't believe it is the weakest link in my current setup - but I did save that video for future reference.

I just added some storage cubes to my setup so I'm not using cardboard boxes anymore :woop: and I gained a bonus speaker stand out of the deal.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
78 RPM records in the bottom-left cube?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Darthemed posted:

78 RPM records in the bottom-left cube?

Yes - they are pretty dirty and I don't have a 78 stylus, so they aren't getting played right now. I got them as part of a lot for dirt cheap, and didn't want them to go to a landfill. It's mostly old jazz like Dick Jurgens, with some fun interesting stuff mixed in such as violin solo pieces and Russian dances.

One of these days I'll clean them up and get a cheap cartridge for them.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I can't wait for the vinyl bubble to pop. For the price most companies are charging for one record I was able to snag this bunch.

Willa Dorsey, Funky Gospel with some wah pedal in there
Black Heat, Funk, killer cover of Drive My Car
Buddy Rich, Bluesy Jazz
Pic Nic, 60's Pop Folk from Mexico I think?
David Ruffin, Actually haven't listened to this one yet
Cerrone, A WTF Disco reimagining of The Island of Dr. Moreau. This is probably my favorite out of the bunch.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 21, 2018

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Got Choking Victim "No Gods No Managers," Wolves in the Throne Room "Malevolent Grain", Queen's "S/T," and a New Bomb Turks "Information Highway Revisited" for less than $35 today from a flea market

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 22, 2018

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

sporklift posted:

I can't wait for the vinyl bubble to pop. For the price most companies are charging for one record I was able to snag this bunch.

Willa Dorsey, Funky Gospel with some wah pedal in there
Black Heat, Funk, killer cover of Drive My Car
Buddy Rich, Bluesy Jazz
Pic Nic, 60's Pop Folk from Mexico I think?
David Ruffin, Actually haven't listened to this one yet
Cerrone, A WTF Disco reimagining of The Island of Dr. Moreau. This is probably my favorite out of the bunch.

Cerrone ownes

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Mondo just announced a bunch of new pressings of various Castlevania Soundtracks if anyone is interested. I've spent far too much money on records lately so I gotta pass on this one. I was planning on making an effort-post once I have an official release date, but I am going to have a single I co-wrote and produced pressed to 45 at the end of next month through the UK label SixNine Records. It's a Soul/R&B track and I am really excited to have something on vinyl that has my name on it.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

MrSargent posted:

Mondo just announced a bunch of new pressings of various Castlevania Soundtracks if anyone is interested. I've spent far too much money on records lately so I gotta pass on this one. I was planning on making an effort-post once I have an official release date, but I am going to have a single I co-wrote and produced pressed to 45 at the end of next month through the UK label SixNine Records. It's a Soul/R&B track and I am really excited to have something on vinyl that has my name on it.

Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood are included with the Mondo stuff, they say it's the first time either is going on vinyl. Of course I need both of them.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

esperantinc posted:

Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood are included with the Mondo stuff, they say it's the first time either is going on vinyl. Of course I need both of them.

Rondo was released as a different variant in July at SDCC and sold out during the first day, but this is the first time it has realistically been accessible for anyone. Pretty sure the obi from the first Castlevania, which came out during the summer of 2016, says SOTN is coming soon. I'm really torn because I feel like Spacelab9 is going to be announcing the Fallout 3 10th Anniversary and Elder Scrolls Anthology box sets in the next few weeks. I'd hate to spend my vinyl budget on Castlevania, only to miss out on Morrowind. Still want to pick up 3 System of a Down albums, too.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Gonna try to get that limited version of SotN.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Banano posted:

Cerrone ownes
Yes.

MrSargent posted:

I am going to have a single I co-wrote and produced pressed to 45 at the end of next month through the UK label SixNine Records. It's a Soul/R&B track and I am really excited to have something on vinyl that has my name on it.

Let us know when it drops. Is it on your SoundCloud?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

sporklift posted:

Yes.

Let us know when it drops. Is it on your SoundCloud?

It isn't on my SoundCloud yet, gotta wait for the actual release date and then I'll put it up! But the track is with the vocalist I worked with on the song Getting Lost, which is on there.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

MrSargent posted:

Congrats, that's really cool.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't usually do this, but I'm feeling a bit pleased with myself.

maybe if I do it I should do it with a better camera

Only €50 for the lot. It was a Stranglers kind of day, but mostly I'm chuffed I found Listen to the Silence in the wild. Really great late 70s new wave album, I've been listening to it on Spotify for weeks, and there they had two copies of it that they were practically giving away.

Bonus: only went to the record store cause I had time to kill after a job interview, and scored the job as well :toot:

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Did the black and white album come with the bonus 7inch? Mean to me is a great track.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

From Russia with love...

Funk from Russia. Seems to be influenced a bit by The In Sound From Way Out. Lots of wah.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mystery Steve posted:

Did the black and white album come with the bonus 7inch? Mean to me is a great track.
Didn't even know there was one. Presumably that's why it was cheap.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Mondos website is weird. Kept clicking add to cart and it never asked me to check out. By the time I figured it out i had 50 copies in my cart.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
flip scum spotted

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
SOTN sold out in about 5 minutes and Rondo in an hour. I’m glad I had an alarm on. A 10 year Fallout 3 set would be awesome. I didn’t realize it’d been so long since the game came out.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

MONDO POST FREAKED NOW.

DO IT.

ALSO PUT UP THAT BEETLEJUICE EXPANDED REISSUE, WAXWORK.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

MONDO POST FREAKED NOW.

DO IT.

ALSO PUT UP THAT BEETLEJUICE EXPANDED REISSUE, WAXWORK.

Is this Beetlejuice record the Danny Elfman score or just songs used in the movie?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Is this Beetlejuice record the Danny Elfman score or just songs used in the movie?
They've only posted a single tease of it way back in march without much information to go on other than the fact that it's in the pipeline:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

The artwork for my upcoming vinyl release just got posted and I think it turned out really great. I learned a lot from the mixing/mastering session and have a much better idea of what to do next time in terms of being a more active producer during that process. I was working with an engineer who has mixed and mastered multi-platinum albums so I think I was a little intimidated to say anything due to my lack of experience. But it was an incredible experience and hopefully the first of many.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

silly request, can someone post the swaps available for VMP this month? I had canceled my 3 month sub and it's giving me poo poo about undoing my cancel to see the swap list.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Photex posted:

silly request, can someone post the swaps available for VMP this month? I had canceled my 3 month sub and it's giving me poo poo about undoing my cancel to see the swap list.

Yeah. This is one of the main reasons I gave up on VMP (along with the price) they will instantly charge you if you re up to check something.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Photex posted:

There are 80 records available to swap so its not exactly easy to share the list. Anything in particular you are looking for?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MrSargent posted:

There are 80 records available to swap so its not exactly easy to share the list. Anything in particular you are looking for?

Not sure if you use Firefox but they have a screenshot tool for full pages it was more that I wanted to browse not looking for anything in particular

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Photex posted:

Not sure if you use Firefox but they have a screenshot tool for full pages it was more that I wanted to browse not looking for anything in particular

Kind of a crappy image and you'll need to zoom in a bunch but this should work.

https://i.imgur.com/A15W9FY.jpg

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

MrSargent posted:

The artwork for my upcoming vinyl release just got posted and I think it turned out really great. I learned a lot from the mixing/mastering session and have a much better idea of what to do next time in terms of being a more active producer during that process. I was working with an engineer who has mixed and mastered multi-platinum albums so I think I was a little intimidated to say anything due to my lack of experience. But it was an incredible experience and hopefully the first of many.

Far out, man.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

MrSargent posted:

Kind of a crappy image and you'll need to zoom in a bunch but this should work.

https://i.imgur.com/A15W9FY.jpg

Anyone looking for something awesome in this list needs to pounce on Cochin Moon immediately.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

trdn89 posted:

Anyone looking for something awesome in this list needs to pounce on Cochin Moon immediately.

Alternatively, Archie Shepp - Attica Blues.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I'm moving in the middle of next month to another country, but will be living in temporary housing until I'm able to find a place. This means that I'll be having a moving company pack, ship and store my stuff temporarily. (I'm guessing it will be climate controlled since fabric and clothes would be mildew prone, otherwise.)

Does anyone have any good moving and storage solutions? I have some stuff that wasn't pressed in great numbers and a few neat oddities that I'd definitely like to keep.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DarkSol posted:

I'm moving in the middle of next month to another country, but will be living in temporary housing until I'm able to find a place. This means that I'll be having a moving company pack, ship and store my stuff temporarily. (I'm guessing it will be climate controlled since fabric and clothes would be mildew prone, otherwise.)

Does anyone have any good moving and storage solutions? I have some stuff that wasn't pressed in great numbers and a few neat oddities that I'd definitely like to keep.

First off I wouldn’t assume anything about the storage space. Probably want to do a little research about where your stuff will be stored.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

BigFactory posted:

First off I wouldn’t assume anything about the storage space. Probably want to do a little research about where your stuff will be stored.

The alternative is that I'd get something and have my parents store it in their house until I can come back to the States and get it, since they are coming to visit before I leave to buy and take my car. Either way I need some sort of solution that isn't just a milk crate.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DarkSol posted:

The alternative is that I'd get something and have my parents store it in their house until I can come back to the States and get it, since they are coming to visit before I leave to buy and take my car. Either way I need some sort of solution that isn't just a milk crate.

How many records are you talking about? 1000? Less than 100?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

DarkSol posted:

I moved up the coast last year and moved over 1k records and here's the best/safest way to pack LPs for moving:

- Find 13x13x13 corrugated cardboard boxes. (Home Depot has them [0] but probably special order. U-Haul used to sell 13in boxes, too.)
- Take one box (still flat) and cut completely in half vertically.
- Assemble another box and fit the halves of your cut box inside, with the flaps in opposite directions.
- You'll have a box with another box telescoped inside of it.
- Pack LPs *TIGHTLY* inside, you'll fit ~80 per.
- Fold top flaps of inner box, tape.
- Fold top flaps of outer box, tape every edge.

So each box edge and corner ends up with a double layer of cardboard with a brick of LPs in the middle. I took some in the car with me and another got strapped into a big moving crate, but super safe and no dings. Each ends up weighing ~45lbs.

[0] https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pratt-Retail-Specialties-13-in-L-x-13-in-W-x-13-in-D-Moving-Box-25-Pack-PRA0071B/203578087

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
That's a great start but Id add that you should be looking specifically for corrugated boxes that have a shipping certification for up to the 50ish pounds you'll be putting inside. Stuff moving around inside boxes breaks a lot of them open from the inside out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

BigFactory posted:

How many records are you talking about? 1000? Less than 100?

Less than 100, I think, or very close to it.