Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

If you don't like One Foot in the Grave and Mellow Gold we can't be friends.
I find a lot of people my age are really into One Foot in the Grave (which is my favorite Beck album) because we all went to buy Mellow Gold and it was sold out.

Mellow Gold's great, but maaaaaaaaaan a lot of it sounds exactly like Ween's The Pod, right down to the bitching about retail jobs they still had in the middle of recording. I'd buy a reissue in a goddamn heartbeat, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Anyone have a copy of Turtle Pleasure?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Ballz posted:

I finally got around to adding the Stephen Arnold Music record to discogs. SAM is a music production company that mostly does television news themes and music for commercials and the like. This record has full-length songs that might get tiny snippets played in a show. Really the packaging art is probably the most interesting thing about it; it's all housed in transparent sleeves with the outer having a blue face and the inner sleeve having the same face, but yellow. Put 'em together and voila: green face.

Also if you're a New Orleans Saints fan uh, congrats there's a song on there just for you. I made sure to include it as a Youtube video on the discogs page.

Ballz posted:

Yeah. At first it might seem cool to have a thick plastic card that doubles as a USB drive, but then you pack it in alongside a vinyl record and... this is the result:

https://i.imgur.com/tvQDm21.mp4

Edit:

:shepicide:

Update: I couldn’t locate a copy of this to buy, but I did find this pretty release. It arrived today and is pretty spiffy :captainpop:

Edit: Big Thang is the penultimate track aaaaaa

pwn fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 6, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Sadly I’ve never listened to either.

I'm going to guess you didn't grow up in the 90s watching MTV and having a brother a few years older than you.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Actually now that I think about it did you ever listen to that single he cut at Third Man? Definitely worth a spin if you can get ahold of it

Oh of course. I jumped right on that because it was the first thing he recorded (or at least released in years). He also played on a few of the non-album Icky Thump single b-sides. The earlier Third Man blue series singles were pretty cool. The Gibby Haynes one is good too.

caligulamprey posted:

I find a lot of people my age are really into One Foot in the Grave (which is my favorite Beck album) because we all went to buy Mellow Gold and it was sold out.

Mellow Gold's great, but maaaaaaaaaan a lot of it sounds exactly like Ween's The Pod, right down to the bitching about retail jobs they still had in the middle of recording. I'd buy a reissue in a goddamn heartbeat, though.

There was a Mellow Gold reissue a few years back but it was a limited edition and now it fetches prices pretty close to the original pressings because of course it does. I have it, it sounds good. They also did the same for Odelay. They sound really good.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pwn posted:

Update: I couldn’t locate a copy of this to buy, but I did find this pretty release. It arrived today and is pretty spiffy :captainpop:

Edit: Big Thang is the penultimate track aaaaaa

Hell yeah! For TV promo music, they really go balls-out in the packaging.

In other news, tomorrow at noon EDT Vinyl Me Please will have the first ever vinyl pressing of Fiona Apple’s “When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight And He'll Win The Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters The Ring There's No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold You.”

Expect the site to get goonrushed and crash, and When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight And He'll Win The Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters The Ring There's No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold You might even sell out quickly!

But don’t worry too much, VMP’s been repressing her other albums with no set limit, so even if you miss the first run, you’ll probably still have a chance to snag When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight And He'll Win The Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters The Ring There's No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold You.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

Hell yeah! For TV promo music, they really go balls-out in the packaging.

In other news, tomorrow at noon EDT Vinyl Me Please will have the first ever vinyl pressing of Fiona Apple’s “When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight And He'll Win The Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters The Ring There's No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold You.”

Expect the site to get goonrushed and crash, and When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight And He'll Win The Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters The Ring There's No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold You might even sell out quickly!

But don’t worry too much, VMP’s been repressing her other albums with no set limit, so even if you miss the first run, you’ll probably still have a chance to snag When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight And He'll Win The Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters The Ring There's No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold You.

Hey i had to miss their release of Tidal last year because I am poor, but now that i got my ObamaBux, i can actually afford to buy a few things. Would a Goon who is a member of VMP buy a copy of When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight And He'll Win The Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters The Ring There's No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold You for me?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I like When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight And He'll Win The Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters The Ring There's No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold You, but I'd rather be listening to Chumbawumba's The Boy Bands Have Won, and All the Copyists and the Tribute Bands and the TV Talent Show Producers Have Won, If We Allow Our Culture to Be Shaped by Mimicry, Whether from Lack of Ideas or from Exaggerated Respect. You Should Never Try to Freeze Culture. What You Can Do Is Recycle That Culture. Take Your Older Brother's Hand-Me-Down Jacket and Re-Style It, Re-Fashion It to the Point Where It Becomes Your Own. But Don't Just Regurgitate Creative History, or Hold Art and Music and Literature as Fixed, Untouchable and Kept Under Glass. The People Who Try to 'Guard' Any Particular Form of Music Are, Like the Copyists and Manufactured Bands, Doing It the Worst Disservice, Because the Only Thing That You Can Do to Music That Will Damage It Is Not Change It, Not Make It Your Own. Because Then It Dies, Then It's Over, Then It's Done, and the Boy Bands Have Won.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pwn posted:

Hey i had to miss their release of Tidal last year because I am poor, but now that i got my ObamaBux, i can actually afford to buy a few things. Would a Goon who is a member of VMP buy a copy of When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight And He'll Win The Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters The Ring There's No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold You for me?

I think When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight And He'll Win The Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters The Ring There's No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold You might be available to non-members from the start. If not, usually it’ll be made available to non-members after 48 hours.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Is there going to be a colored vinyl edition of When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right, or is it just going to be a black vinyl copy of When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right,?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 6, 2020

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKd0q2h3u0

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ballz posted:

I think When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight And He'll Win The Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters The Ring There's No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold You might be available to non-members from the start. If not, usually it’ll be made available to non-members after 48 hours.

I had When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight And He'll Win The Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters The Ring There's No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold You as a Swap but now it’s delayed for production so ymmv on how easy it’s to get right now.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

Is there going to be a colored vinyl edition of When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right, or is it just going to be a black vinyl copy of When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right,?

Just black.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

pwn posted:

I just snagged my copy of When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right.

If you want, I can get you a copy of When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right because VMP members are allowed to buy 2.

Let me know. Ships Sept 2020, according to them. $34.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

Just black.

When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right finally coming to vinyl is a pretty big deal and you'd think they'd have a special colored vinyl release for big fans of When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

LastGoodBoy posted:

Anyone have a copy of Turtle Pleasure?

Yeah. Had to trade my copy of Solomon Gumball for it though.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Moai Ou posted:

Yeah. Had to trade my copy of Solomon Gumball for it though.

I ordered one of those a while back. The COD was outrageous.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Was just daydreaming about getting When The Pawn... on vinyl the other day, not a VMP member but just preordered it! Thanks thread

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Was just daydreaming about getting When The Pawn... on vinyl the other day, not a VMP member but just preordered it! Thanks thread

What's When The Pawn? I don't think I've heard of that one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My local record store opens up this Friday. While I don't plan on going for a long time, the thread title is now basically mandatory policy for them.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

vivat virtute posted:

I just snagged my copy of When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right.

If you want, I can get you a copy of When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right because VMP members are allowed to buy 2.

Let me know. Ships Sept 2020, according to them. $34.

This joke is getting really tired. Please just use the abbreviated title from here on out: WPHCHTLKWHKTBWHGFHWWTHERTNBBWYMIYMSWYGSYHYOHRTDIGHIYKWYSTYKWLIYFIWMCYKTYR

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The joke is never tired. Now I'm going to listen to my latest acquisition - So.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So I know this is a longshit but I like to put thew feelers out every now and again. Would any of you happen to have a copy of Tonetta 777 vol. 1 and/or Vol. 2 that you would sell at a reasonable price? Or do one of you otherwise know where to get one at a normal price? All these dickheads on discogs want over a hundred dollars for those and that's just obscene (and absolutely no one is buying them at these prices).

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

All I've ever seen is that 7" at a local store for $15, maybe $20. It's yours whenever the world becomes a thing again, if you'd like.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

All I've ever seen is that 7" at a local store for $15, maybe $20. It's yours whenever the world becomes a thing again, if you'd like.

I would totally buy that too because I don't have it. Thanks in advance if that ever becomes possible. Or just thanks for even mentioning it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oh yeah! Haven't been buying much lately (seems like everyone's in this camp), but Drastic Plastic is reissuing a few Cramps records.

I've been dying for a copy of Psychedelic Jungle that didn't cost $30/40.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

got what is probably the rarest/most interesting record of my collection (not a very high bar, to be fair). some nice clawhammer banjo old time tunes

love seeing the stuff for sale by mail on the back cover of old records

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
finally got a copy of the first Faust LP (not an original, but the reissue seems pretty faithful) and it's probably the prettiest thing I own right now

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

hexwren posted:

in unrelated news, gently caress anyone who presses a record but doesn't make it blindingly clear what speed it's meant to run at
Even better when 20 seconds into the song, you realise it's actually a mistake on the label! I have a couple of 33 RPM 7" so of course when Tropical gently caress Storm's Suburbiopia single said it was 33 RPM, that's what I tried! I think I only realised when the vocals started.

I'm finally migrating from using my low end turntable (Pioneer PL-990) via my logitech 5.1 PC speakers to getting its own receiver and speakers! Bought a secondhand Onkyo A-8150 and get to open it up on the weekend to clean the pots once I can get some contact cleaner. This thing is way overkill considering that when my fiancee is home, even 25% of the volume dial is too loud for her when she's in the lounge. Anyway, once this is all in place, the next thing will be to upgrade this TT to something slightly better.

When I do upgrade, what's a decent Automatic TT (current one has a fixed cartridge/counterweight/etc)? Because my fiancee has her collection of Taylor Swift/Killers LPs, and there's no way she will use a manual turntable. Also needs a dust cover because we have a cat. Oh and just to make it harder - Australian plug (220-240V) so no Fluance etc.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Couldn’t you just use a step-down converter

I don’t really know what that is or if it’s even the right thing but I’ve seen Techmoan use them with American gadgets

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Australia runs at 50hz which adds in a whole extra level of complication, rather than just reducing the voltage to the turntable.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

You should use your power as a listener to play records at the wrong speed. That'll teach those musicians to tell you what to do!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm gonna find a way to play this copy of Pagan Muzak the wrong way if it's the last thing I do!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

One of my local record shops is doing curbside pickup. I called with a list of 10 albums and they had three of them.

Oh yeah. They give you a free bottle of hand sanitizer.

I miss digging though.

In other news. I was "lucky" enough to keep my job but since I am spending all my off time at home I have been uploading a bunch of new mixes to https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/ All vinyl. All genres.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If you're not following them on social media, Music Millennium's been posting solid deals daily for curbside pick-up. It took a lot not to throw down $45 for that copy of Animal Collective's Ballet Slippers today.

Mostly because I already have four goddamn records on the way to my house.

sporklift posted:

I miss digging though.
Crate digging (especially at Crossroads where it takes the entire day) was a weekly bit of decompression for me that I miss so goddamn much. :smith:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

caligulamprey posted:

Crate digging (especially at Crossroads where it takes the entire day) was a weekly bit of decompression for me that I miss so goddamn much. :smith:

This was for me when I lived in Florida and would spend hours at Bananas Music. Now I live in Virginia and while there are a few good shops here, it just isn't the same. Now I really miss crate digging.

On the other hand, this has given me a bit of an opportunity to go through my discogs wantlist backlog. But again, still isn't the same.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm gonna find a way to play this copy of Pagan Muzak the wrong way if it's the last thing I do!

You should tell Boyd about it I bet he'd be pleased if you figured one out!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Godddamn, Black Francis nails the screaming on the new Residents track:

https://youtu.be/8W_QerWy65Y

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 15, 2020

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I saw Pixies in concert a few months back and Frank's voice at his age absolutely blew me away. He shrieked just like the old days (or close enough) for 2 hours straight. Incredible.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

pwn posted:

Couldn’t you just use a step-down converter

I don’t really know what that is or if it’s even the right thing but I’ve seen Techmoan use them with American gadgets
Well yeah, you can get into that but now you're adding another $100+ onto it, plus there's always the risk of having a turntable shipped internationally and having it damaged at the other end. And therefore no warranty. And that's even if they will ship overseas - so many US companies won't ship here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Since I'm on furlough this week I've been making the most of my time and doing important work, like adding stuff to the discogs database.

Please know our record handling OCD has a long, storied history. From 1959: