Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Detective No. 27 posted:

Aw gently caress I didn't know he was releasing another album today or I would have tried to grab it. 14 minutes is an eternity when it comes to his albums. I managed to get Mannequin Challenge.

They've been teasing a reprint of Hit Vibes. I really want to snag a copy.

I think Hit Vibes repress is hitting the 15th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Do you know which label it's gonna be under?

Miami Virtual is going for sale on the 17th too.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Here you go:

(the post was deleted, I just saw it on Reddit)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope they press at least a thousand because that's gonna sell out so fast.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m only about half way through, but I like his one the other day about how his review of a kit had made a hugely positive impact on a company, and they had been very grateful to him and how he felt so happy about helping such nice people.

Then proceeded to drag their new kits for the next 20 minutes ha.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Re: collection chat, I'm suprisingly good at remembering what's in my collection both music and video game wise, I think I've only accidentally bought duplicates once or twice? Usually I consciously am buying a duplicate because it's in better condition or some such. It's when I go to sell something that I forget I already sold it. Still remember feeling like a dumbass looking for my copy of Banjo Tooie until I realized I had already sold it a couple months prior.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Detective No. 27 posted:

Miami Virtual is going for sale on the 17th too.

Oh man I hadn't heard this. This is good poo poo, consider me on board. Thank you!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

RE: Collecting, I just have my discogs app always updated and I keep track of my pre-orders in my email box. Don't think I've ever bought a dupe unless it was out of looking for a better quality copy.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ballz posted:

Ah ha, so apparently the black pressing was from last year and we all just missed it. Whoops.

Guess we’re stuck with the clear variant, seeing as how the only copy in black at Discogs is for the low, low price of $200.

So uh, I can't help but notice Spacelab9 changed the description of the Galaxy News Radio record to remove the "limited to 250 copies" and it hasn't sold out since the initial store weirdness the day it went live. The bundle is still labeled as "limited to 125" but I've noticed over the past few days it regularly goes from available to sold out to back again.

Look, I'm not having buyer's remorse -- a GNR record has long been a white whale of mine -- but man these guys are shady as hell.

It's probably worth noting my first exposure to this record label was when I bought a "Best of Mega Man" picture disc (I know) at Hot Topic (I know, I know) that didn't have a single track from Mega Man 3 on it.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I don't think I've ever bought a dupe online because usually stuff I order online is either something specific I've been looking for, a brand new release, or something new to me that I grab due to a heads up from someone (often you guys). But when I'm crate digging, it's easy to see something and think "hey, I'd like this!" then later realize I would and do like it, which is why I already own it. But hey, at least that usually inspires me to listen to something cool that I haven't played in awhile.

I also sometimes feel weird checking my discogs list in a store because I don't want to look like I'm searching online for a better deal or something, but that's my own dumb worry, I think.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I don't actually know how many records I have because I'm too lazy to count them. It's a lot.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Just count them by the milk crate. One and a half for me.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I have 750 in Discogs. An expedit shelf filled with Yacht (or adjacent) that I haven’t bothered to put in Discogs yet, and maybe 30 records that are my 5 year olds. I give her $20 every few months when we go digging together and she’s found some good stuff. Including some $1 records that ended up being worth $30-40.

Digging through the used records is easily the thing I miss most through this pandemic.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Asnorban posted:

Digging through the used records is easily the thing I miss most through this pandemic.

Not necessarily the thing I miss most but Ebay/Discogs just doesn't hit the same spot. At least it keeps me from picking up piles of garbage records and CDs from the thrift store though the dent in my budget is probably about the same or worse.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Not super rare or expensive but I decided to check something off that's been on my want list for a while:

I'm a bit of a Michael Gira fanatic and I felt like I needed to own the first record he appeared on. Nearly 40 years old and still in the shrink wrap with no cuts or anything, disc is completely mint. Gonna make sure to take pictures when I open it up later so I can torment someone with them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Turbinosamente posted:

Just count them by the milk crate. One and a half for me.
Milk crates are comparable units to Ikea shelves yeah? I've got 5 Ikea cubes 2 steamer trunks (approximately 2 crates per steamer trunk, maybe more) and 4 crates.
Another 25 records on the way thanks to some cool guy over on Needles and Grooves.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Looks like I have entered almost 1,200 into discogs but forgot where I left off. My new policy is to enter stuff in as I get it. Someday I will tackle the rest. Ugh and I haven't even got to my seven inches yet.

Approximately 35 Ikea Cubes
Around 12 mini crates of 7in
Few odd crates of garbage records that I haven't sorted and will probably dump at goodwill.

My collection is all over the place with an emphasis on Rock, Funk and Soul. I also have a fairly good sized Country section. Slowly building up my Jazz. Would love more Hip Hop but I feel like I kinda missed the boat by not collecting through the 90's and early 2000's. I love the genre but I more listen to it in the car or at work.

I used to play out a little bit and had a show on our local internet radio but now I just make mixes on mixcloud.com. If you want to hear what is in my stacks you can check it out https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome

Working on putting a new mix up tonight hopefully. Got a little distracted yesterday.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I am usually terrible about organization for stuff I don't DJ out a lot. The records I DJ are nice and organized by genre then BPM. Between opening a Record Store (Prospector Records in Portland https://www.instagram.com/prospectorrecordspdx/) and the Quarantine I finally spent some time and organised and cataloged the majority of my collection. I have about 2500 Boogie, Funk, and Soul 45s. 5100 Gospel 45s of all genres. The 45s are Label by Artist. After opening the store I think I have 15 or so ikea cubes of 12s and LPs. Most of my 12s went it to open the store.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Oh drat, you're super close, I'll have to check you guys out! When did you open?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

SwimNurd posted:

I am usually terrible about organization for stuff I don't DJ out a lot. The records I DJ are nice and organized by genre then BPM. Between opening a Record Store (Prospector Records in Portland https://www.instagram.com/prospectorrecordspdx/) and the Quarantine I finally spent some time and organised and cataloged the majority of my collection. I have about 2500 Boogie, Funk, and Soul 45s. 5100 Gospel 45s of all genres. The 45s are Label by Artist. After opening the store I think I have 15 or so ikea cubes of 12s and LPs. Most of my 12s went it to open the store.

This is cool and good. I'm dying for some classic house music so I'm gonna shop the hell out of your store.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

We are open by appointment Wednesday-Sunday call or DM the Insta. We will go back to regular hours during phase 2.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

SwimNurd posted:

We are open by appointment Wednesday-Sunday call or DM the Insta. We will go back to regular hours during phase 2.

I'm on the wrong side of the country so I should have said, I'll be shopping the hell out of your Discogs.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I finally have completed a collection I've been piecing together for a while now:

These were all found at thrift stores for <$1.50 except II, which is a new pressing. The covers are messed up on a few but the vinyl is all in good shape.

I suppose I'll have to find Coda some day, but I'm happy to call this complete enough.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I HAVE BEEN DASHED UPON THE ROCKS BY YOUR SIREN SONG!

marjorie posted:

My wallet is angry

I got home from the woods and I'm pleased as punch that someone took me up on my decidedly half-assed blurb. Thank you! I'll have these packed and dropped ASAP. These orders make up for my own recent splurges, so we're all making this same mistake over and over together forever.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

SwimNurd posted:

Oh dang. I started following your insta right as covid was loving everything up. You post some cool poo poo. Been meaning to drop in. Dunno when my next day off is though.

Here is my new show that took forever to put together and then I almost deleted half of it.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/7052020/

And here is a download code from one of the records I played.

Francis Bebey: African Electronic Music 1974-1982

shop.bornbadrecords.net/yum
njjh-xtaj

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bread Dragon posted:

I got home from the woods and I'm pleased as punch that someone took me up on my decidedly half-assed blurb. Thank you! I'll have these packed and dropped ASAP. These orders make up for my own recent splurges, so we're all making this same mistake over and over together forever.

In fairness I looked up the old posts and it turns out that I said I was going to buy some poo poo from you like a year ago.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

sporklift posted:

Oh dang. I started following your insta right as covid was loving everything up. You post some cool poo poo. Been meaning to drop in. Dunno when my next day off is though.

Here is my new show that took forever to put together and then I almost deleted half of it.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/7052020/

And here is a download code from one of the records I played.

Francis Bebey: African Electronic Music 1974-1982

shop.bornbadrecords.net/yum
njjh-xtaj

Snagged, thanks!

Ooh there’s titties on the cover

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

wa27 posted:

I finally have completed a collection I've been piecing together for a while now:

These were all found at thrift stores for <$1.50 except II, which is a new pressing. The covers are messed up on a few but the vinyl is all in good shape.

I suppose I'll have to find Coda some day, but I'm happy to call this complete enough.

Arglblarghl, not a huge Zeppelin fan but dammit I never see anything remotely that cool at the thrift store. If I do it's almost guaranteed to be scratched. I suppose I'm just chronically unlucky, or people here just offload them at the record shop first. Sporklift, come donate your garbage box at my local Goodwill, plz kthxbai.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Speaking of thrift stores, I found that Fall 2019 is when the number of Bill Cosby standup albums overtook Herb Alpert albums in terms of quantity at Goodwills across the nation, proving whipped cream is better than pudding pops.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Arglblarghl, not a huge Zeppelin fan but dammit I never see anything remotely that cool at the thrift store. If I do it's almost guaranteed to be scratched. I suppose I'm just chronically unlucky, or people here just offload them at the record shop first. Sporklift, come donate your garbage box at my local Goodwill, plz kthxbai.

Maybe it helps that there is no record store in my town. I do feel the same way 90% of the time I go to our thrift stores, but I keep going a couple times a week (well, not for the past few months, but you know...)

I'm sure if you added up all the time I've spent in thrift stores it wouldn't be nearly worth the stuff I've found. But what good is a hobby if it does't waste lots of time? :v:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

wa27 posted:

Maybe it helps that there is no record store in my town. I do feel the same way 90% of the time I go to our thrift stores, but I keep going a couple times a week (well, not for the past few months, but you know...)

I'm sure if you added up all the time I've spent in thrift stores it wouldn't be nearly worth the stuff I've found. But what good is a hobby if it does't waste lots of time? :v:

True that. Just slightly disheartened that the last time I went out of curiosity a couple weeks ago there was nothing but real busted up crappy crappy in all departments. Like why would you bother donating it level broken dishes and things, though that could easily have happened in the back room, on the floor, etc. I assume all the dedicated bargain hunters went as soon as lockdowns slightly lifted and got all the good stuff if it was even there. At least I know I'm not really missing out on anything and am not compelled to risk my health on it any further.

Bloodplay it again posted:

Speaking of thrift stores, I found that Fall 2019 is when the number of Bill Cosby standup albums overtook Herb Alpert albums in terms of quantity at Goodwills across the nation, proving whipped cream is better than pudding pops.

Heh, I thumbed through a bin of records at an antique mall recently too and could tell their stock didn't change much as there was a wodge of Bill Cosby in addition to Barbara Streisand. What would be the complete list of all our record bin "friends"? Besides those above I can think of Mitch Miller and the Gang, Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians, Lawrence Welk, Firestone Christmas Albums, Polka/German drinking music, and probably unique to my town, Chuck Mangione. I feel like I'm missing somebody that we all sigh and skip to the next after seeing them for the millionth time.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I miss going to record stores

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

True that. Just slightly disheartened that the last time I went out of curiosity a couple weeks ago there was nothing but real busted up crappy crappy in all departments. Like why would you bother donating it level broken dishes and things, though that could easily have happened in the back room, on the floor, etc. I assume all the dedicated bargain hunters went as soon as lockdowns slightly lifted and got all the good stuff if it was even there. At least I know I'm not really missing out on anything and am not compelled to risk my health on it any further.

Heh, I thumbed through a bin of records at an antique mall recently too and could tell their stock didn't change much as there was a wodge of Bill Cosby in addition to Barbara Streisand. What would be the complete list of all our record bin "friends"? Besides those above I can think of Mitch Miller and the Gang, Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians, Lawrence Welk, Firestone Christmas Albums, Polka/German drinking music, and probably unique to my town, Chuck Mangione. I feel like I'm missing somebody that we all sigh and skip to the next after seeing them for the millionth time.

Why would Chuck Mangione be unique to your town? He was very popular.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I think by far the Christian artist I see the most is Evie, or maybe Amy Grant.

I don't actually find much Chuck Mangione in thrift stores, aside from the occasional Feels So Good.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

Why would Chuck Mangione be unique to your town? He was very popular.

I'm at the epicenter, I live in his hometown, though I suppose jazz nerds are universal.

edit: V My Streets of Rage 2 is like that as well. Must be a Data Discs thing. V

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 7, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weird. The Alien Soldier release just shoves both discs in one sleeve rather than a 2lp gate fold.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Weird. The Alien Soldier release just shoves both discs in one sleeve rather than a 2lp gate fold.

It's a thing they do sometimes. I have a whole bunch of them and the only one that is hosed up is MGMT Congratulations. I've never been able to get both discs back in it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm at the epicenter, I live in his hometown, though I suppose jazz nerds are universal.

Feels So Good was a legitimate top 40 hit. He sold a ton of albums. I see chuck mangione in every thrift store I go to.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

BigFactory posted:

Feels So Good was a legitimate top 40 hit. He sold a ton of albums. I see chuck mangione in every thrift store I go to.

Well grab some for me, because I never see any and I’d like a bit of the ‘gione in my collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
good news, Drag City has repressed the Yellow River Boys LP

https://www.dragcity.com/products/urinal-st-station

if you don't know, it's a blues rock album by Tim Heidecker & Gregg Turkington in which nearly all of the songs are about drinkin' piss, outside of "Mr. Mudd" (I'll let you guess what that one's about). it's seriously great. on yellow vinyl, of course. been looking for this for a long time!!!

in other news, I just spent a ton of cash on discogs to get a copy of Denki Groove's VOXXX, way more than I ever wanna pay for a record (nearly $80 after shipping) but I have wanted this for like 15 years