Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Asnorban posted:

I meant in that I wish I had kept that record, not that it is better than any Karate release. My Karate records are easily near the top of my listens. Siamese Dream was maybe once every year or two.

Repress the Karate records so I can buy new copies and stop playing the OGs.

Karate rules. I think southern records is basically done at this point though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

This will probably sound spergy as gently caress but I consider soundtracks and scores to be different categories even though I've probably used the terms interchangeably in this thread a bunch of times.

Yea no you are absolutely correct. I have mostly scores but the Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood soundtrack is the best Tarantino soundtrack and has gotten me into vintage 1960s KHJ airchecks all Summer long.

Particularly this aircheck from May 25th 1968, 3-5:40 PM, The Real Don Steele Show. Some of the 3:00 hour is used in the film, and the nearly-complete show is an amazing time capsule.

3:00 4:00 5:00

I ripped these 128k mp3s and meticulously separated and tagged them, including composer data. It took a few weeks but it helped me develop a deeper appreciation than passively listening. I have learned so much about obscure songs, brands and venues that are long-gone, and listening to Don Steele get looser as the Saturday afternoon wears on is a real trip. Pretty sure he was doin’ toots during the songs.

According to Reel Radio, this was a studio recording, which I imagine was recorded on reel-to-reel. The quality is great, and when these were put on RR, to break them into smooth hour-long chunks, the last tracks were edited to end without radio chatter. I went in Audacity and undid these edits, to put it back to a continuous 2 hours 39 minute program. I even threw together a real chunky cover art for it.

I put zips of both on Sendspace for anyone who wants them. Makes for great Summer driving listening.

Blocks Continuous

AdBlocker is encouraged.

I think these are OK to share, as these are vintage radio airchecks, available on youtube and the aforementioned links, but if not I'll remove them.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm unsure if I like this new current future where I can buy a Choking Victim album off amazon and it arrives next day

Yeah, nothing says anti-capitalist punk rock like supporting Amazon

NO GODS / NO MANAGERS / NO BEZOS

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

Pretty sure the suite at the end of that soundtrack is the only thing that's been released.

This is where I post the video for Synthicide by SSQ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ZXacvydQ0

Anonymous is the superior used in a movie SSQ song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuA789Iz9nM

The movie is Beyond the Black Rainbow which incidentally has a great score and is a personal favorite.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Good news. There are only about 100 more Rick Wakeman albums to go with this one.

Are any of them like the music he did for Crimes of Passion?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Are any of them like the music he did for Crimes of Passion?

Starship Trooper from Yes' 1978 Wembley concert fits the category.

I've heard about 10 albums, mostly from the 1970s. Nothing else is close to that, with the exception of a few individual tracks and it depends on your tolerance for cheesy prog. He's done a ton of session work, so it might be easier to narrow down something that catches your eye through that.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

Yea no you are absolutely correct. I have mostly scores but the Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood soundtrack is the best Tarantino soundtrack and has gotten me into vintage 1960s KHJ airchecks all Summer long.

Particularly this aircheck from May 25th 1968, 3-5:40 PM, The Real Don Steele Show. Some of the 3:00 hour is used in the film, and the nearly-complete show is an amazing time capsule.

3:00 4:00 5:00

I ripped these 128k mp3s and meticulously separated and tagged them, including composer data. It took a few weeks but it helped me develop a deeper appreciation than passively listening. I have learned so much about obscure songs, brands and venues that are long-gone, and listening to Don Steele get looser as the Saturday afternoon wears on is a real trip. Pretty sure he was doin’ toots during the songs.

According to Reel Radio, this was a studio recording, which I imagine was recorded on reel-to-reel. The quality is great, and when these were put on RR, to break them into smooth hour-long chunks, the last tracks were edited to end without radio chatter. I went in Audacity and undid these edits, to put it back to a continuous 2 hours 39 minute program. I even threw together a real chunky cover art for it.

I put zips of both on Sendspace for anyone who wants them. Makes for great Summer driving listening.

Blocks Continuous

AdBlocker is encouraged.

I think these are OK to share, as these are vintage radio airchecks, available on youtube and the aforementioned links, but if not I'll remove them.

Digging this! Thanks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Starship Trooper from Yes' 1978 Wembley concert fits the category.

I've heard about 10 albums, mostly from the 1970s. Nothing else is close to that, with the exception of a few individual tracks and it depends on your tolerance for cheesy prog. He's done a ton of session work, so it might be easier to narrow down something that catches your eye through that.

I'm not into prog at all which is why I never got into his stuff. I feel like Crimes of Passion score is probably going to be a one off for me. But either way it rules. The movie also rules and is completely loving bananas.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaan I really want this record, but it'd be $70+ to import it.

Also: I love saying their name out loud. Neptunian Maximalism. Good mouthfeel on that one.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Recent vinyl purchases - the good, the bad, and the snuggly

The Good: White Noise - An Electric Storm
I first heard of this record in the early 00s when I was a voracious music pirate, and came across a review of this album on some random music trading forums. It was described as the scariest album ever, if I recall, and also as being ahead of its time in its use of synthesizers. I *had* to hear it, but I couldn't find a copy to pirate anywhere, which was probably the first & only time I was unable to track down a download of an album on megaupload or mediafire. Eventually I talked to my local record shop (Bullmoose in Portland ME, woot!) and they were able to help me track down a copy of the CD after a few months of searching! It was my proudest moment in my burgeoning music collecting hobby, and while the record maybe wasn't THAT scary, it was pretty cool and definitely worth the effort to track down.

Fast forward ~15 years to me walking into my current local record shop (Tunnel Records in SF, woot!). I hadn't been in the store since the start of the pandemic, but my wife got me a gift card for my birthday and encouraged me to go, and there was only 1 other customer in the store at the time so it didn't feel too reckless. And the first thing I notice when I walk in was a vinyl copy of An Electric Storm on display on the wall! Felt like it was waiting there just for me, had to buy it. I guess it got reissued somewhat recently so it's probably not even really all that rare or unusual (especially by this thread's standards) but nonetheless very cool for me in a sentimental sort of way.

The Bad: Bob Dylan - More Blood More Tracks
I also picked up the 2LP copy of this while I was at the store. Calling it 'the bad' might be a stretch, but I've been listening to this release from the bootleg series on Spotify since it was released a year or two ago, and LOVE it. I prefer it to the actual Blood On The Tracks album tbh, I think the more minimal arrangements work really well. I was very psyched to get a copy on vinyl, but not until I got home and spun it for the first time did I realize that the vinyl version and the Spotify/streaming version are different! A couple different takes of different songs, and a different tracklisting as well. Maybe it's partly because I'm more used to the Spotify version, but I really prefer all the takes and the tracklisting of the Spotify version to the vinyl, to the point that I'm not sure if I'll ever really listen to the vinyl. Bummer...

The Snuggly: Raffi - The Corner Grocery Store
Ok I'm just trying to round out of the movie title trope here, whatever. Another of my wife's birthday gifts was a vinyl copy of this Raffi record, which was really more for our 3yo daughter than for me. The REAL gift to me is getting to share my love of music and archaic physical media with her. But seriously Raffi is loving awesome, it's been such a blast listening to all the same songs with her that I listened to as a kid, and also having a newfound appreciation for the diversity of Raffi's musical stylings. Next I need to track down a copy of Pete Seeger - American Folk, Game and Activity Songs for Children

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

The Bad: Bob Dylan - More Blood More Tracks
I also picked up the 2LP copy of this while I was at the store. Calling it 'the bad' might be a stretch, but I've been listening to this release from the bootleg series on Spotify since it was released a year or two ago, and LOVE it. I prefer it to the actual Blood On The Tracks album tbh, I think the more minimal arrangements work really well. I was very psyched to get a copy on vinyl, but not until I got home and spun it for the first time did I realize that the vinyl version and the Spotify/streaming version are different! A couple different takes of different songs, and a different tracklisting as well. Maybe it's partly because I'm more used to the Spotify version, but I really prefer all the takes and the tracklisting of the Spotify version to the vinyl, to the point that I'm not sure if I'll ever really listen to the vinyl. Bummer...

Once again proving CD supremacy.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Few new ones from the extended universe of John Dwyer aka Ohsees\theohsees\OCS. Two showed up right around the same time. The Bug on Yonkers was imported because the US RT copies sold out in negative seconds.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Bug on Yonkers is a helluva record. Managed to snag the Tiger Stripe Edition myself

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Cowboy Bebop pre-orders are up for all the variants except Mondo's.

Milan Records (both color and black versions available)

The Right Stuf Anime

Light in the Attic (currently down after getting goonrushed)

Newbury Comics (says it's sold out, dunno if it ever actually went live)

I honestly like the Milan variant best. LitA and Newbury look very similar with their clear splatters, while Right Stuf is slightly more boring color variant of Milan. I'm surprised Mondo didn't post anything.

Edit: I was actually expecting this to be overpriced to hell, but ordering it from Milan's site and it came out to under $36, shipping included. No tax. :ninja:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 6, 2020

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'd wait till tomorrow to know about newbury. They might have an specific timezone they release on.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 6, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Until I see Newbury I think Milan has the best color scheme. I also had $40 sitting in my Apple Cash wallet so I paid nothing for it 😺 if Newbury or someone else has a better color scheme tomorrow I’ll cancel, otherwise I’m glad I secured a copy.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

dorium posted:

Until I see Newbury I think Milan has the best color scheme. I also had $40 sitting in my Apple Cash wallet so I paid nothing for it 😺 if Newbury or someone else has a better color scheme tomorrow I’ll cancel, otherwise I’m glad I secured a copy.

Newbury is “space cowboy splatter.”

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Errr I meant lightsintheattic. Lousy dyslexia. I still stand by what I said tho lol maybe Mondo will surprise everyone tomorrow and have alternate artwork too.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ah, well they did tweet their variant before their site died. It’s actually pretty similar to Newbury.

https://twitter.com/lightintheattic/status/1291222467625791490?s=21

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yea I just saw this reddit post with each variant:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylRelea...utm_name=iossmf

So Milan is an open Pre-order, Mondo is 1,000 and the rest are limited to 500.

That Mondo is a nice lookin one. I’ll see if I can snag it. I’ll have to check the drop tomorrow, I’ve been fooled before by “chatter”.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yeah, the Mondo one is actually pretty good:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

Cowboy Bebop pre-orders are up for all the variants except Mondo's.

Milan Records (both color and black versions available)

The Right Stuf Anime

Light in the Attic (currently down after getting goonrushed)

Newbury Comics (says it's sold out, dunno if it ever actually went live)

I honestly like the Milan variant best. LitA and Newbury look very similar with their clear splatters, while Right Stuf is slightly more boring color variant of Milan. I'm surprised Mondo didn't post anything.

Edit: I was actually expecting this to be overpriced to hell, but ordering it from Milan's site and it came out to under $36, shipping included. No tax. :ninja:

Mondo has their own variant cover that they're keeping a secret until it goes on sale. Someone leaked it though and I have to say I really like it.

Rhetoric-o-Tron
Jan 5, 2009

by Pragmatica
so she bought me "Loving You Sometimes," The Outcasts before proposing.

we got married today. socially distanced. no one but us and the officiant (our old editor in chief).

i can't beat that but i grabbed her the pristine test pressing of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lxp7WVXiX

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

dorium posted:

Yea I just saw this reddit post with each variant:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylRelea...utm_name=iossmf

So Milan is an open Pre-order, Mondo is 1,000 and the rest are limited to 500.

That Mondo is a nice lookin one. I’ll see if I can snag it. I’ll have to check the drop tomorrow, I’ve been fooled before by “chatter”.

That link led me to a related post about VMP and hoo boy, I am really glad I never got caught up with those snakes.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah pretty glad I bailed on VMP right after the QOTSA release.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

CPL593H posted:

Mondo has their own variant cover that they're keeping a secret until it goes on sale. Someone leaked it though and I have to say I really like it.

dang, what a bargain

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pwn posted:

That link led me to a related post about VMP and hoo boy, I am really glad I never got caught up with those snakes.

Flippers are gonna flip, and Vinceron has been known for a good while to sell VMP stock along with other companies’ exclusives. Anything to suggest VMP is directly involved with his practices is purely speculative.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
fyi theres another bandcamp friday tomorrow; every first friday for the rest of the year actually. oh and Secret Records is selling this beaut for real cheap right now: https://secretrecords.bandcamp.com/album/ex-girl-kero-kero-kero-1999-japanese-girl-punk-sr11

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
VMP is upping their price to $43/month!! For one record!!!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
New member pricing is pretty nuts. $120 for a three month membership and THEN you get "renewal" pricing at $90/3 months.

The pricing structure seems like an enormous deterrent for those who like to subscribe and then cancel. And an extra enormous deterrent for anyone wanting to sign up for one album.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Thom P. Tiers posted:

New member pricing is pretty nuts. $120 for a three month membership and THEN you get "renewal" pricing at $90/3 months.

The pricing structure seems like an enormous deterrent for those who like to subscribe and then cancel. And an extra enormous deterrent for anyone wanting to sign up for one album.

:thunk:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Sweeper posted:

They have to figure in the cost of sending everyone a second record after the buyer discovers a split in the spine or something. :)
Honestly they had great customer service back when I would sporadically join. I would send a video of a warp and they would immediately send a replacement, but I saw a lot of crazy complaints about the most minor 'damage' when their forums were up. Pretty funny that my fomo went away when they took their forums down. I also kinda assume at this point most of their exclusives ain't all that exclusive for long.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I don't really get VMP. Are people treating it as an investment since the pressings are limited? It just looks like you're paying above the regular retail vinyl price for random records each month (even without the price changes). :shrug: I guess maybe if you sell off a few every year that appreciated in value it would be worth it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yep and add-on tracks are going up from $23 to $33. gently caress that noise.

I’ve been pretty sympathetic to VMP but this is way too drastic an increase. My yearly sub just renewed in June and unless they grandfather in the renewal when it’s up next year, I think I’m done for good. Such a shame, VMP has introduced me to some awesome music, particularly through the Classics track.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

wa27 posted:

I don't really get VMP. Are people treating it as an investment since the pressings are limited? It just looks like you're paying above the regular retail vinyl price for random records each month (even without the price changes). :shrug: I guess maybe if you sell off a few every year that appreciated in value it would be worth it.

Well the few times I signed up was to get some grails (Odelay, Gorillas, and a few others) and the price wasn't quite out of line. I sold Fiona Apple to pay for a sub but every other time I have sold a VMP I haven't made money. I usually just sell poo poo that I never listen to so I can make room for other poo poo I probably won't listen to.

Ballz posted:

Yep and add-on tracks are going up from $23 to $33. gently caress that noise.

I’ve been pretty sympathetic to VMP but this is way too drastic an increase. My yearly sub just renewed in June and unless they grandfather in the renewal when it’s up next year, I think I’m done for good. Such a shame, VMP has introduced me to some awesome music, particularly through the Classics track.

Yeah the Classics and Hip Hop tracks had some real gems.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

As far as I know I'm still on my grand-fathered plan from 5 years ago in the heyday of the service, so i'll probably keep it and just keep jumping in and out of tracks as I so please.

NOPE

nevermind, looks like they're booting me.

dorium fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 6, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sweeper posted:

When I was a subscriber they would routinely send me 2 copies of the record for no reason, so maybe it’s still a good deal?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the thing that annoys me, as someone who's never touched vmp, is that every time I go to discogs, the Hot Records Right Now on the front page are just whatever vmp is offering

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Sweeper posted:

Lmfao even with color wax, premium jackets, and licensing, this is like 70% profit

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Bread Dragon posted:

Lmfao even with color wax, premium jackets, and licensing, this is like 70% profit

But you get a DRINK RECIPE.

In other news. I am not an anime fan but that Cowboy Bebop record is pretty sick. I just ordered the plain black wax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Bread Dragon posted:

i wonder if they're paying massive amounts for licensing since labels know they want big ticket artists to keep the subscriptions going?