Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

dorium posted:

It’s alright. I once didn’t buy a copy of TOOL’s aenima for like $20 when I was 15 because “it’ll be around”. Dammit.
Yeah, my m.o. now is basically "buy poo poo that I like, then be pleasantly surprised a decade later when I find out it's actually worth money".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Banano posted:

It definitely works but unless it's for a handful of beloved records it's not really practical. It's lot of time required per record, you have to wait overnight for the glue to dry and you can only do one side of a record at a time.

It's a copy of Discreet Music that sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies, I did a wet cleaning of one side and it didn't help but it looks like the main issue is poo poo in the grooves. I was going to test it on this lovely Jackson Brown record someone used as packing material for something that's actually worth listening to. On a related note has anyone bought one of those Eno reissues that have been coming out over the last couple years? I was just going to say "gently caress it." and get a reissue of the album but people on discogs are whining about them being bad pressings and also full of noise.

Moe_Rahn posted:

Yeah, my m.o. now is basically "buy poo poo that I like, then be pleasantly surprised a decade later when I find out it's actually worth money".

I got this in a clearance bin for six bucks:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Greenhornes-Dual-Mono/release/1197500

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
I picked up the halfspeed master of Warm Jets, I had no problem with sound, there is an audible hiss to certain parts but that's down to the cutting picking up the analogue equipment doing its thing.

The only problem I had was it was split over a double album at 45rpm like thundercats drunk album it's a chore to flip and listen in one sitting. A halfspeed LP at 33 a month dropped a month later...

I had the same problem with my copy of discreet music though, it cleaned up okay but there's a scratch on side 2 through every track which makes it unlistenable.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mystery Steve posted:

I picked up the halfspeed master of Warm Jets, I had no problem with sound, there is an audible hiss to certain parts but that's down to the cutting picking up the analogue equipment doing its thing.

The only problem I had was it was split over a double album at 45rpm like thundercats drunk album it's a chore to flip and listen in one sitting. A halfspeed LP at 33 a month dropped a month later...

I had the same problem with my copy of discreet music though, it cleaned up okay but there's a scratch on side 2 through every track which makes it unlistenable.

Yeah if I get any of those reissues I'm not bothering with the 45 RPM ones. I guess I'll try and get an old copy of Discreet Music off of discogs and sell the other one for ten bucks or something to offset the cost.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
i have the half speed master of another green world, it really does sound very good, high frequencies are reproduced so well you can even hear the tape hiss

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I found one weird trick to reduce the footprint of my turntable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM-ftZ4zXN8

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The tracking force on that thing must be, like, 15 grams? 20? 50?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

pwn posted:

The tracking force on that thing must be, like, 15 grams? 20? 50?

I keep it at like 2.5 but bumped it up to 3.5 for the video because it was skipping too much (I think it was the anti-skate, which is tied to the tracking force on this one).

I don't actually know how the physics work because it has a counterweight. No spring tension as far as I know. I think most Dual turntables can do this and it was something of a marketing point to show how "balanced" their tonearms were.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Banano posted:

i have the half speed master of another green world, it really does sound very good, high frequencies are reproduced so well you can even hear the tape hiss

Stop making a compelling argument.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Moe_Rahn posted:

I also didn't grab a bunch of records that I probably should have because I was operating using the flawless logic that these mega-sellers would be cheap and widely available forever. I might have been a loving dumbass 15 years ago.

honestly back in 2005 it didn't really register that people would still be collecting these things in 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

If only I could tell 2005 me to go back and buy all those lame Hot Topic exclusive pressings while sounding like poo poo sell like expensive hot cakes now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I remember seeing multiple copies of Demon Days collecting dust in the small record bin at Newbury Comics for a long time.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

wa27 posted:

I keep it at like 2.5 but bumped it up to 3.5 for the video because it was skipping too much (I think it was the anti-skate, which is tied to the tracking force on this one).

I don't actually know how the physics work because it has a counterweight. No spring tension as far as I know. I think most Dual turntables can do this and it was something of a marketing point to show how "balanced" their tonearms were.

Nice! Good to know since I've basically taken over my Dad's Dual. Don't think I'll be doing any extreme playback on it though even though the force on the ortofon red I slapped on it is recommended at something like 2.8 iirc.

God I'm conflicted on that Cowboy Bebop record though. I just bought a ton of poo poo both vinyl and not, some of which is still on preorder/in the mail. Plus I've listened to the Bebop soundtrack soo much that I actually got tired of it after a while. I am guilty of rebuying poo poo on vinyl that I have on perfectly fine CDs too, though in the case of Bebop it could be justified since I :filez: the big Japan CD boxset many many years ago. I guess I'll wait and hope preorders are still open some place once I catch up on the stuff I already ordered.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Just saw the Martin soundtrack is $6 on Ship to Shores website.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

The tv show Martin?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

The tv show Martin?

No sorry, I know how exciting that would be. It's the George Romero cult movie.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

abraham linksys posted:

yeah, this is always a tricky thing. whenever I get tempted to try to get a full set, I remind myself that I have a Spotify subscription. this, plus until recently limiting myself to in-store stocks, prevented me from getting that itch of "oh hm I should probably get Tonight and Never Let Me Down to make sure I have all of Bowie's 80s material*" or whatever.

I do think I'm going to grab some stuff online now that we're under lockdown, but I'm just going to avoid completionism. will grab, like, the early OMD records and the 80s Fleetwod Mac records, getting complete good "runs" of bands that I know I'll listen to instead of their whole discography

* instead I simply got the Japanese 45 of Blue Jean when I was in Tokyo last year

Hey, Never Let Me Down is actually a pretty good album. It's not the top tier, but it has a lot of good songs, like Time Will Crawl and Never Let Me Down. Tonight is just dreadful aside from Blue Jean and Loving the Alien. But yeah, the worst moments on NLMD are miles ahead of the worst moments on Tonight, which is Boring Bowie.

And the 80s Fleetwood Mac records were good. It wasn't until Lindsey Buckingham left that they got mediocre. Seven Wonders is a legit snack.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

What an odd company.

Video game soundtracks? Yes! Soundtracks to some movies no one cares about? Of course! A bunch of Tiny Tim reissues? Sure. Warren Zevon? Yeah, we got that. Tom Green made an album apparently? Why not, yeah we have it!

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

What an odd company.

Video game soundtracks? Yes! Soundtracks to some movies no one cares about? Of course! A bunch of Tiny Tim reissues? Sure. Warren Zevon? Yeah, we got that. Tom Green made an album apparently? Why not, yeah we have it!

Now I want a Martin (TV series) soundtrack, w/ collectible sticker, from STS

wa27 posted:

:eyepop:

Alright, I’m impressed.

Turbinosamente posted:

God I'm conflicted on that Cowboy Bebop record though. I just bought a ton of poo poo both vinyl and not, some of which is still on preorder/in the mail. Plus I've listened to the Bebop soundtrack soo much that I actually got tired of it after a while. I am guilty of rebuying poo poo on vinyl that I have on perfectly fine CDs too, though in the case of Bebop it could be justified since I :filez: the big Japan CD boxset many many years ago. I guess I'll wait and hope preorders are still open some place once I catch up on the stuff I already ordered.

I was in nearly the same boat, except my filez were a bunch of disparate Japanese CDs including a 3” mini CD, back in the mid-2000s. I went and done bought it from Milan, as theirs was the nicest colour. Mondo was nice too but I’d have had to fight with all the flippers goonrushing the site and gently caress if I’m gonna put myself through that fresh hell if I have another choice readily available.

Edit 10: Maybe that was the box set? :shrug: I don’t know, I just remember that it was all too expensive to even consider buying in 2006

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 10, 2020

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

CPL593H posted:

What an odd company.

I just like doing things, okay?

pwn
May 27, 2004

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

I hope u like doing a soundtrack for Martin (TV series) w/ collectible sticker, b*tch

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Hey so I was checking out your site earlier and you wouldn't happen to have a spare copy of snatcher rattling around in the old warehouse would you?

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Ybrik posted:

Hey so I was checking out your site earlier and you wouldn't happen to have a spare copy of snatcher rattling around in the old warehouse would you?

Make that two

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

CPL593H posted:

Soundtracks to some movies no one cares about? Of course!
Please specify which ones you think these are.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Darthemed posted:

That Manos soundtrack rules.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ship to shore is goon run? I bought something from there, on account of I still get emails. Maybe the Mother 2 soundtrack?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

I'm not even making fun of it. I think it rules that they have such a bizarrely eclectic selection. Hell, I even saw some poo poo on there I want. I'm shocked that at this point in time you can buy LPs for under 20 bucks and some of them for less than 10. Are you part of that company? If so, you have my total respect.

Darthemed posted:

I'm not saying anything about the quality of the actual movies (though I'm not a fan of Joe Bob Briggs these days) just that these are things you never hear people clamoring for OST releases.

https://shiptoshoremedia.com/collections/shop-all/film-soundtracks

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I'm not even making fun of it. I think it rules that they have such a bizarrely eclectic selection. Hell, I even saw some poo poo on there I want. I'm shocked that at this point in time you can buy LPs for under 20 bucks and some of them for less than 10. Are you part of that company? If so, you have my total respect.

I'm not saying anything about the quality of the actual movies (though I'm not a fan of Joe Bob Briggs these days) just that these are things you never hear people clamoring for OST releases.

https://shiptoshoremedia.com/collections/shop-all/film-soundtracks

Yeah, it’s me and a friend of mine who run STS. My partner also happens to be Tiny Tim’s biographer, so that’s what accounts for the high levels of Tiny Tim in our store.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Yeah, it’s me and a friend of mine who run STS. My partner also happens to be Tiny Tim’s biographer, so that’s what accounts for the high levels of Tiny Tim in our store.

how hard was it to get the mother 1 and 2 rights? the rumor was always that the music was the only thing the preventing the rerelease of those games in the US until they hit the switch(?) a while back.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Giga Gaia posted:

how hard was it to get the mother 1 and 2 rights? the rumor was always that the music was the only thing the preventing the rerelease of those games in the US until they hit the switch(?) a while back.

Wondering the same thing except about warren zevon. That’s one of the best zevon records.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

You got some cool stuff on your label but why did you reissue this record?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=068UKzX6j_o

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

I was in nearly the same boat, except my filez were a bunch of disparate Japanese CDs including a 3” mini CD, back in the mid-2000s. I went and done bought it from Milan, as theirs was the nicest colour. Mondo was nice too but I’d have had to fight with all the flippers goonrushing the site and gently caress if I’m gonna put myself through that fresh hell if I have another choice readily available.

Edit 10: Maybe that was the box set? :shrug: I don’t know, I just remember that it was all too expensive to even consider buying in 2006

Was it the set that has dialogue snippets every other track? That the one I downloaded and I wound up excising those to a separate folder because I can't understand Japanese anyways. That's the one one disappointing thing about this release is because of having the super complete set I notice what songs aren't there, like Cats on Mars.

Yes I caved and bought it off of Milan too. Actually I bought two, one to give to a friend since her husband was just laid off and they aren't doing any frivolous expenses right now. Easy Christmas present! (I suspect she'll forget about it by then). I agree they have the nicest color variant though.

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Oooo, I just got my order in the mail today. No time to listen to it yet but it looks pretty! The green/black splatter on Gradius 3 was much cooler than expected. Time to be a jackass and futilely beg for the Cosmic Wars soundtrack even though I'm fairly certain I am the only one who'd be buying it. Issue it with some Metal Gear MSX music, that'll make it marketable.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Cemetry Gator posted:

Hey, Never Let Me Down is actually a pretty good album. It's not the top tier, but it has a lot of good songs, like Time Will Crawl and Never Let Me Down. Tonight is just dreadful aside from Blue Jean and Loving the Alien. But yeah, the worst moments on NLMD are miles ahead of the worst moments on Tonight, which is Boring Bowie.

And the 80s Fleetwood Mac records were good. It wasn't until Lindsey Buckingham left that they got mediocre. Seven Wonders is a legit snack.

Eh. Tonight is indisputably garbage and the songwriting on NLMD has its moments but it’s still a rough listen, especially by today’s standards. Too Dizzy is atrocious.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Was it the set that has dialogue snippets every other track? That the one I downloaded and I wound up excising those to a separate folder because I can't understand Japanese anyways. That's the one one disappointing thing about this release is because of having the super complete set I notice what songs aren't there, like Cats on Mars.

Yes I caved and bought it off of Milan too. Actually I bought two, one to give to a friend since her husband was just laid off and they aren't doing any frivolous expenses right now. Easy Christmas present! (I suspect she'll forget about it by then). I agree they have the nicest color variant though.

Oooo, I just got my order in the mail today. No time to listen to it yet but it looks pretty! The green/black splatter on Gradius 3 was much cooler than expected. Time to be a jackass and futilely beg for the Cosmic Wars soundtrack even though I'm fairly certain I am the only one who'd be buying it. Issue it with some Metal Gear MSX music, that'll make it marketable.

Congrats! You made the superior choice. And no mine didn’t have any dialogue that I recall. I gotta put that old hard drive in an enclosure and dig through it this week.

Yeah there are missing songs but I’m just glad this can be bought at all by itself. I recall that last year (or 2018??) they were trying to sell it but only as a bundle with the Blu-rays and a bunch of tat for... I don’t recall, but waaay too much money. Hundreds of dollars.

Speaking of waaay too much money, this arrived Monday

I uh, well,

According to Wikipedia, Fiona Apple chose the cover.

$40.

All the same, thank you vivat virtute for hooking a brother up :tipshat: I was expecting this in September and this is the Summer of KHJ for me, and this album is firmly Fall/Winter music, so it’s gonna have to wait for another month or two before getting played.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

when the pwn :homebrew:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

aaaaah gently caress

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 11, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Congrats! You made the superior choice. And no mine didn’t have any dialogue that I recall. I gotta put that old hard drive in an enclosure and dig through it this week.

Yeah there are missing songs but I’m just glad this can be bought at all by itself. I recall that last year (or 2018??) they were trying to sell it but only as a bundle with the Blu-rays and a bunch of tat for... I don’t recall, but waaay too much money. Hundreds of dollars.

Speaking of waaay too much money, this arrived Monday

I uh, well,

According to Wikipedia, Fiona Apple chose the cover.

$40.

All the same, thank you vivat virtute for hooking a brother up :tipshat: I was expecting this in September and this is the Summer of KHJ for me, and this album is firmly Fall/Winter music, so it’s gonna have to wait for another month or two before getting played.

Not putting the full title of that album on the cover is an act of cowardice.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
yeah thats like a cover you put on spotify for thumbnails not on a record cover with 12"x12" of space

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

yeah thats like a cover you put on spotify for thumbnails not on a record cover with 12"x12" of space

Yeah when you've got all that space you should take advantage of putting the whole title which is When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right. But they just put "When the Pawn" instead of When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right. Just imagine waiting all this time for a copy of When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right and you get it and it just says "When the Pawn" instead of When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right. I mean why even have a copy of When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right if they're not going to call it When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right.

All joking aside, that is a pretty terrible cover. For 40 bucks they could have gone with a design that doesn't look like some kid bullshitted it five minutes before the end of class. Even if no one was interested in a new design they could have just used the original cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

CPL593H posted:

Yeah when you've got all that space you should take advantage of putting the whole title which is When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right

yeah!! they fit that poo poo on a jewel case back in the day you can put it on a record for sure