Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

All joking aside, that is a pretty terrible cover. For 40 bucks they could have gone with a design that doesn't look like some kid bullshitted it five minutes before the end of class. Even if no one was interested in a new design they could have just used the original cover.

That is how I feel about the art print they include with the RotM.

Jesus. I am spending too much on records during this pandemic. Granted I would have just spent this money on bars and going out to eat so I have convinced myself this is healthier. haha. I was gonna post this 'deal' but looks like it is sold out. $35 but I love me some Melvins. https://www.shoxop.com/collections/brand-spanking-new/products/melvins-electroretard-lp-scratch-n-dent-factory-edition-red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
I’m also buying more records than usual during this poo poo.

Trying to tell myself I’m only spending what I’m saving on concerts during this time. Getting to sit down and listen to an album front to back on a nice stereo is a nice substitute these days

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I bought what I believed was a plain black copy of Monophonics first record, which ended up being the limited edition pretty orange and red swirl edition. What luck!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My Square Enix record came in.

Gotta say, of all the records I bought online, they did the best packing job. I didn't even realize it was a record at first based on the box. Very well packaged.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

New Mr. Bungle record out on October 30th! There are bundles and variants.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
its the rerecording for anyone thinking they were just gonna press the 99 demo tape. which they should have done.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not really a fan of this album but I'll always throw down for Bungle. Hoping this leads to some new material but not gonna hold my breath.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Didn't see that the smoke variant was a limited edition of 1,000 and now they're all gone, boooooooo.

On the plus side, I don't have to blow $40 at this very moment, at least?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Sacred Bones is doing a charity raffle with three different prize packs. One of said packages is the soundtracks for Parasite, Halloween (2018), and Eraserhead. The others are pretty cool too. One is a whole Plantasia themed package and the other is some rare limited edition stuff they did.

quote:

We have been incredibly inspired by all of the amazing work that Club A Kitchen is doing here in New York City and decided to put together a raffle to help raise money for the cause. If you aren’t familiar Club A is a mutual aid group based around the intersection of Myrtle & Broadway in Brooklyn, NY. Every Wednesday and Saturday, they have been distributing groceries, hygiene supplies, free clothes & harm reduction supplies to the houseless and marginalized community - those most neglected by the state. Now more than ever they are an absolutely essential part of our neighborhoods, especially with evictions breathing down so many New Yorker’s necks. We are a record label with an international roster but we also understand the fundamental importance of helping as much as we can in our local communities, in ways that directly and immediately impact the health and well being of the people who make Brooklyn the place we want to base our business out of.

Each ticket is ten bucks.

https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/products/club-a-rare-record-raffle

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
drat I was hoping that Plantasia bundle would be better than it is, and I already ordered a plain rear end black version of the record from them. It doesn't help that I too dropped a wad in the record store today, but at least I got 3 out of 4 records I was looking for and a bunch of extra poo poo.

But the real reason I'm posting is: HEY PWN! How do you feel about Chuck Mangione at $3 a pop? Didn't buy any yet but I have a feeling it will still be there when I next invent an excuse to return to the biggest source of it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Turbinosamente posted:

drat I was hoping that Plantasia bundle would be better than it is, and I already ordered a plain rear end black version of the record from them. It doesn't help that I too dropped a wad in the record store today, but at least I got 3 out of 4 records I was looking for and a bunch of extra poo poo.

But the real reason I'm posting is: HEY PWN! How do you feel about Chuck Mangione at $3 a pop? Didn't buy any yet but I have a feeling it will still be there when I next invent an excuse to return to the biggest source of it.

H*ck yup, I’ll PM you :c00l:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

caligulamprey posted:

Didn't see that the smoke variant was a limited edition of 1,000 and now they're all gone, boooooooo.
So now even the non-limited edition version is listed as sold out on the Blix website, but it's listed as being in stock on Bandcamp if you still need a copy.

EDIT: Ah, they list the stock on the Bandcamp page.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 14, 2020

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Been away from home the past week and had a few records show up.

King Diamond - Them (translucent blue with smoke, honestly I have no idea what the variant was called, that’s what I’m calling it.)

That was the last diamond record I needed to round out the Abigail era, though I still don’t have fatal portrait which is a loving shame, but I’ll pick it up eventually.

The Dicks - Dicks hate the police

This was a 7” that 1-2-3-4 GO records in Oakland pressed as a benefit for BLM and Homeless Youth Alliance in SF. Extremely stoked to have it in my
Collection.

Al Cisneros - Apple Pipe/No tobacco (zam79)

Another 7” this one put out by Portland record label Zam Zam Sounds. Was very excited to nab this one as it’s A) al, B) local and C) an intersection of two of my musical interests.

Sadly somewhere along the line it appears to have sat in the sun. I got home an hour after it had been delivered, and there was no way in could have been left in the sun on my porch because my porch gets zero sun. It’s playable but it’s just not fun to watch a new record do the wave on your turn table. Still happy to add it to the collection.

I’ve got another very exciting and 50% local 7” I’m going to pick up this week as well. I’ll post pics of that one because I think it’s going to be exciting to look at and play.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ooooh, I'm gonna have to find a copy of that Al Cisneros 7".

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Ooooh, I'm gonna have to find a copy of that Al Cisneros 7".

I'm gonna swing by a store that stocks Zam Zam this week to see if I can pick one up for my brother. If they are flush I'll pick up an extra ;)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

If you're waiting on that Fallout 3 Galaxy News Radio record, it's been pushed back to early September. Also apparently there's a "dirty water" variant to go along with the Coke Nuka Cola Bottle clear?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

I got this a few days ago and it’s the nicest looking thing I own.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Maaaan... out of boredom last night I took a peek at how my vinyl Portugal. The Man albums are accumulating in value, and it's funny seeing them be practically worthless (Woodstock) to selling for nearly triple digits (Censored Colors).

I bought the single-sided 12-inch "It's Complicated Being a Wizard" new from my local record store's clearance bin for like, $9 a few months before Woodstock came out in 2017. The current cheapest copy for sale on discogs is $56. :staredog:

Record collecting is a weird hobby.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 19, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ballz posted:

Maaaan... out of boredom last night I took a peek at how my vinyl Portugal. The Man albums are accumulating in value, and it's funny seeing them be practically worthless (Woodstock) to selling for nearly triple digits (Censored Colors).

I bought the single-sided 12-inch "It's Complicated Being a Wizard" new from my local record store's clearance bin for like, $9 a few months before Woodstock came out in 2017. The current cheapest copy for sale on discogs is $56. :staredog:

Record collecting is a weird hobby.

I remember Church Mouth was crazy expensive and now you can get it for like 15 bucks if you don't care about it being a blue swirly color. The prices for those records have always been all over the place. A bunch of that poo poo will probably get reissued at some point. What I always wonder is who the gently caress is buying all this stuff for those prices. Not just Portugal. The Man, but all these albums that suddenly shoot up in value.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

I remember Church Mouth was crazy expensive and now you can get it for like 15 bucks if you don't care about it being a blue swirly color. The prices for those records have always been all over the place. A bunch of that poo poo will probably get reissued at some point. What I always wonder is who the gently caress is buying all this stuff for those prices. Not just Portugal. The Man, but all these albums that suddenly shoot up in value.
suckers just getting into records :devil:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Are there big enough vinyl record youtubers to shoot the price up on records when they mention them in a video the way it happens with retro video games? This is disregarding the recent general price bump of stay at home hobby stuff due to covid.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

dorium posted:

suckers just getting into records :devil:

Speaking of suckers and vinyl prices, the Charli XCX record I bought on a whim on clearance is now like $150.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Flip em while you got them. I just sold the RTJ3 limited edition set I bought when it came out for $60 and sold at more than double that price. Felt good. Now to buy a record I really want!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

That's a paddlin'.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

No, definitely flip all records

If you wouldnt buy it for what it sells for, flip that poo poo

If it's a ~*RaRe* Collectible~, absolutely flip that poo poo and buy a cheap copy

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

I literally do not expect 99.9% of my records to accrue any value, But I would be pleasantly surprised if some did. I think i'm going to need to venture out of my main listening interests to be buying records that will become collectible/worth something more than I paid for them

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
420 grift nerds every day.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a great local record store down the street that gives really good trade-in value for records so I'm pretty fortunate. I brought in five records that I paid no more than $70 for total and they gave me $50 exchange credit.

Another question, I have a few records where it won't reach the end, i.e. it just kind of gets stuck in that ending region (whatever it's called) despite cleaning it and such as much as I can. Is this sometimes just a permanent defect of the record that can't be fixed?

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I have a great local record store down the street that gives really good trade-in value for records so I'm pretty fortunate. I brought in five records that I paid no more than $70 for total and they gave me $50 exchange credit.

Another question, I have a few records where it won't reach the end, i.e. it just kind of gets stuck in that ending region (whatever it's called) despite cleaning it and such as much as I can. Is this sometimes just a permanent defect of the record that can't be fixed?

The run out? It finishes playing the music though? So what happens does it skip onto the label or skip back onto the music grooves?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Evil Bob posted:

The run out? It finishes playing the music though? So what happens does it skip onto the label or skip back onto the music grooves?

yes it finishes the music, and after it just stays in the run out region, looping in the same place over and over while you just hear the sound of static and the occasional little blip when it repeats its cycle. the needle never gets to the end/label region to stop. If that's not clear I can post a little video or something.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Is it just not reaching the point where the turntable would automatically return the tonearm? That might not be a problem with the record, those discs might just not finish by the point it would sense it was done and trigger that action. Check to see if records that do finish properly go further past where the needle gets stuck in the run out on those records.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Hmm my tt doesn't have an auto return so it just loops the runout indefinitely if I let it. Sorry I can't help.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://store.tompetty.com/

Finally, a Wildflowers reissue! I'm guessing the residuals are starting to dry up and his family has bills to pay.

Really surprised the base 3LP version is "only" $40.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

here's a video, sorry it's so terrible and sideways for some reason

just look at 0-15s and then from 1 min on

https://twitter.com/fuck_it_all___/status/1296514426019995648

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

actionjackson posted:

here's a video, sorry it's so terrible and sideways for some reason

just look at 0-15s and then from 1 min on

https://twitter.com/fuck_it_all___/status/1296514426019995648

I assume the runout must not be far enough onto the record to trigger the mechanism. But like I said, no TT I own has an auto return. Kinda jealous rn actually.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Man I would kill for auto return on my turntable.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh i thought that was a standard thing? guess not. this is a technics sl-d33

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Spirited Away
Image Album $55
Soundtrack 2LP $68

They’re loving high. And by “they” I mean Studio Ghibli. Go fly a kite, anime bros

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wish I had my copy of the Sky Ferreira record in this country, I never took it out of the seal because it ended up costing me more than I planned (original purchase when it was released, plus shipping, plus import duty) but now the cheapest copy is a few hundred bucks on Discogs. It's whether anyone actually wants it is another question, the sales history averages $100. It's not a bad record, but you can bet your rear end I'd happily part with it for a few hunded bucks.

:nws: cover - https://www.discogs.com/Sky-Ferreira-Night-Time-My-Time/release/5133557

e: oh neat, now I've logged in I can see the most recent sale as of a few weeks ago was the $500 high its ever gone for, and was mint/sealed. If flights were running, that would actually pay for the cost to go get it ha.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

Spirited Away
Image Album $55
Soundtrack 2LP $68

They’re loving high. And by “they” I mean Studio Ghibli. Go fly a kite, anime bros

I've got a few records I picked up for under £20 that now sell for silly prices but I buy what I like and can't bear to flip that poo poo, That said after the Miley Cyrus bangerz picture disc went mental I did consider buying more mainstream guff in the hope that I could flip it, but like anything it's a risk I feel bad about piling more of my disposal income into.

https://www.discogs.com/Miley-Cyrus-Bangerz/release/10170138