Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

A lot of people have the AT-LP120.

It was more about the spaghetti ball tbh

Edit: lovely page snipe. Here's me spinning the best variant of the best reissue this year:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BigFactory posted:

I don’t.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I do.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Ballz posted:

:same:

Right down to it being used on an LP-120.

I know they sell slip mats of the current moon ball, but I think the original spaghetti ball only comes if you ordered the Clowns in the Sky double LP from MST3K.com.

Yeah, that's where I got mine. Haven't seen it for sale otherwise, as you mentioned.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I have an LP-60 :coolfish:
(For real, it was a decent way to get started easily for super cheap without ruining my records on a Crosley or whatever. Although stepping up to the 120 would've ultimately saved me the extra cash I ended up spending on the Technics 1200mk2, since the upgrade probably wouldn't have seemed worth it at that point.)

Ballz posted:

Edit: lovely page snipe. Here's me spinning the best variant of the best reissue this year:

I really dig that yellow. Gimmick or not, I gotta admit I'm a sucker for a good colour variant.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
here's the best use of vinyl i've seen in years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdKCq1xpm4E

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

I don’t.

I have one. It's autographed by Sean Hannity.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
If you have to have a crazed right winger talking head sign your music paraphernalia at least go for Greg gutfield

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

thrilla in vanilla posted:

If you have to have a crazed right winger talking head sign your music paraphernalia at least go for Greg gutfield

It depends on the item. If you want one of these lunatics to sign a bass then the obvious choice is Mike Huckabee.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CPL593H posted:

I have one. It's autographed by Sean Hannity.

did you bring your turntable to a sean hannity autograph signing or did you buy it off craigslist and the seller wrote 'Sean Hannity' on it to squeeze out a few extra bucks?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Missed opportunity for big fat Mike Huckabee not playing a 9 string bass. 4 string doesn’t look right.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

did you bring your turntable to a sean hannity autograph signing or did you buy it off craigslist and the seller wrote 'Sean Hannity' on it to squeeze out a few extra bucks?

The latter, but it came with a certificate of authenticity.

BigFactory posted:

Missed opportunity for big fat Mike Huckabee not playing a 9 string bass. 4 string doesn’t look right.

He had to stop playing the 9 string because his son wouldn't stop stealing the extra strings to go hang dogs from trees.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'd go take a new pic of my slipmat but :effort:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vaporwave people, Esprit's Virtua.zip is on sale. Not too many left.

https://espritfantasy.bandcamp.com/album/virtua-zip

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Vinyl Me, Please's latest Anthology box set is for Herbie Hancock.

Some of the included albums (and glaring omissions) are a bit odd, although apparently these were the albums picked by the man himself.

If you're a current VMP member or if you bought a previous anthology set, you should've gotten a $60 discount code sent to your email, making the price slightly more palatable. This is the first VMP anthology I'm jumping on (I wish I hadn't missed out on the Blue Note set) and got lucky that I don't have any of the albums included here, except for Headhunters.

Not much Miles love here, but Wayne Shorter is all over this thing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah thats kind of a weird selection. No Secrets, no thrust, by future shock? 1+1 is good though. I caught them together around the time that came out and they were great. I’ll have to check out Takin’ off, I don’t think I’ve ever heard it, but it’s got a great lineup with Freddie Hubbard and Billy Higgins.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

esperantinc posted:

Oh I missed duplicate chat?

Yes I absolutely need seven copies of the same Yuri Gagarin release. One to go!:

And this is my best and favorite slipmat:

I love that album, let me know if you want to offload a copy.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Just ordered the new Idles and Sylvan Esso records from the local record store and almost immediately got a flash sale coupon from Ship to Shore for 30% off. Had to order some city pop records that I hadn't gotten to yet (two Piper, and Rie Murakami). Expensive day.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

marjorie posted:

I really dig that yellow. Gimmick or not, I gotta admit I'm a sucker for a good colour variant.

Yeah, my main reason for getting the album is still for, well, the music itself (shocker I know) but Skull Session had several color variants offered and I originally went for the Vinyl Me Please version because their mockup looked like this:

Which is pretty :krad:

Although I get that mockups don't always match the finished product I gotta say I was expecting more than... well, this:

To top it off my copy from VMP was horrifically warped. While waiting for a replacement I chatted up the dude who runs the French Wax Buyers Club which had the amazing black/yellow variant and he had a couple of spare records without sleeves, so he sold me one for 10 Euros. So now I have a boss looking album that sounds great and is housed in a sleeve with the VMP stamp on the back. A Frankenstein package, but I'll take it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Anyone know of any sites that are doing RSD online? I'm sure as hell not lining up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Anyone know of any sites that are doing RSD online? I'm sure as hell not lining up.

Bullmoose puts a bunch of poo poo online a day or two after. This year they might be doing it online the day of considering the circumstances.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Ballz posted:

Yeah, my main reason for getting the album is still for, well, the music itself (shocker I know) but Skull Session had several color variants offered and I originally went for the Vinyl Me Please version because their mockup looked like this:

Which is pretty :krad:

Although I get that mockups don't always match the finished product I gotta say I was expecting more than... well, this:

To top it off my copy from VMP was horrifically warped. While waiting for a replacement I chatted up the dude who runs the French Wax Buyers Club which had the amazing black/yellow variant and he had a couple of spare records without sleeves, so he sold me one for 10 Euros. So now I have a boss looking album that sounds great and is housed in a sleeve with the VMP stamp on the back. A Frankenstein package, but I'll take it.

Wow, that delta between the mock-up and the final product is bananas. Not quite the same situation, but relatedly, I once grabbed a repress of a soul record from a store, not realizing it was a colour variant, and it turned out to be like straight up poo poo\vomit brown\yellow. Like just the ugliest colour imaginable, and I just want to know why they bothered. At least it sounded good!

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Asnorban posted:

Just ordered the new Idles and Sylvan Esso records from the local record store and almost immediately got a flash sale coupon from Ship to Shore for 30% off. Had to order some city pop records that I hadn't gotten to yet (two Piper, and Rie Murakami). Expensive day.

oh man new idles, just order that thanks for the heads up

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

https://twitter.com/newburycomics/status/1308525084806721538

you can order the Hackers soundtrack at 1:05, after I get mine.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Detective No. 27 posted:

Vaporwave people, Esprit's Virtua.zip is on sale. Not too many left.

https://espritfantasy.bandcamp.com/album/virtua-zip

Thanks bud. This is a good one. Copped it just now and there are still 69 left.

Also, if anyone didn't know, https://www.georgeclanton.com/shop has a bunch of his other releases available.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Photex posted:

https://twitter.com/newburycomics/status/1308525084806721538

you can order the Hackers soundtrack at 1:05, after I get mine.

Those are the two records I would make the trip for. I wonder if I should take the chance at a local Miami store or risk bots online. Never really participated in RSD much other than once. There's no way to tell how many of each copy a store will get, is there?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

IG-88 posted:

Those are the two records I would make the trip for. I wonder if I should take the chance at a local Miami store or risk bots online. Never really participated in RSD much other than once. There's no way to tell how many of each copy a store will get, is there?

you can call ahead, but even then, record stores get allotments cut down last minute all the time. So at this point in the week they might say they'll get 20, but then by Saturday their allotment will get cut to 5 because some got lost in shipment, the warehouse shorted them or their full order wont come for another week. It's always been like that, not just COVID reasons.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Does that XFiles album have Beacon Light by Ween? Gonna have to brave the stores if so...

e: looks like not, still cool but I can safely pass

quote:

First time on Vinyl! Musical selections from the first three years of the acclaimed science fiction television series by resident composer Mark Snow, with interspersed dialogue by the cast written by Chris Carter. The Truth is out there.

Limited Edition. Pressed on glow-in-the-dark vinyl.

Beacon Light for the uninitiated, one of my fave Ween tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WATRw3bo4u4

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 23, 2020

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

IG-88 posted:

Thanks bud. This is a good one. Copped it just now and there are still 69 left.

Nice

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Sortof surprised this got a EU pressing (that's also real cheap on discogs)

Sucks that this is the only vinyl record they put out before disbanding considering they had a lot of other great songs, and a few of the songs of this LP aren't that great.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hey thread, the recommendations in the OPs are pretty old -- is the AT-LP60X a decent buy for ~$120 USD? I'm basically planning on running the built-in preamp's output into the line level input on my PC to mix it into my PC audio. Not really planning on getting a fancy receiver and speaker setup anytime soon.

e: I should clarify I'm not really much of a vinyl collector or anything, just someone with a bunch of records I've had in storage for like, seven years that I'd like to be able to put on and listen to again.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

dorium posted:

you can call ahead, but even then, record stores get allotments cut down last minute all the time. So at this point in the week they might say they'll get 20, but then by Saturday their allotment will get cut to 5 because some got lost in shipment, the warehouse shorted them or their full order wont come for another week. It's always been like that, not just COVID reasons.

Yeah, I finally got a hold of the Robyn release on txt notification because a record store got a shipment in wayyyy late.

RE: RSD saturday: Thank goodness i only want one mandatory this time, which is Bill Evans repress. Also, heavily debating this UK ONLY RDS. Seeing how I spent way too much on the Local Natives gorilla manor 10th anniversary (not from VMP, but an allocation from the band direct), it's not beyond me to do another pricey rough trade UK import.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

Hey thread, the recommendations in the OPs are pretty old -- is the AT-LP60X a decent buy for ~$120 USD? I'm basically planning on running the built-in preamp's output into the line level input on my PC to mix it into my PC audio. Not really planning on getting a fancy receiver and speaker setup anytime soon.

e: I should clarify I'm not really much of a vinyl collector or anything, just someone with a bunch of records I've had in storage for like, seven years that I'd like to be able to put on and listen to again.

It's just fine as a starter turntable. The 120 is a huge step up if you can afford it but if you're just looking to play what you have the 60 is fine.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Kazinsal posted:

Hey, I just talked about this up toward the top of the page! I started with an LP60 (mine was $99 at the time) and it served me just fine for a couple years till I decided to upgrade. I even plan on using it as a secondary player if I ever get around to fixing up my basement. As mentioned by the poster above me and in my earlier post, the 120 is more future-proof, but since that's over twice the price of the 60, it can definitely be worthwhile to go with the cheaper entry point to see if you like listening to records in general. Plus, the auto return of the LP60 is handy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Someone sent me this so I would get mad and I got mad so now I'm posting it here so some of you will get mad.

https://better-records.com/

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

Someone sent me this so I would get mad and I got mad so now I'm posting it here so some of you will get mad.

https://better-records.com/

God that is a grift I really need to get in on.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

God that is a grift I really need to get in on.

I know, right? I really want to know how. Imagine getting some rear end in a top hat to give you two hundred bucks for a copy of Breakfast In America.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CPL593H posted:

I know, right? I really want to know how. Imagine getting some rear end in a top hat to give you two hundred bucks for a copy of Breakfast In America.

Only $950 for A Night at the Opera.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Only $950 for A Night at the Opera.

If some guy who's had tinnitus since 1997 has objectively said it sounds better than any other copy based on just listening to it once and that this is a reasonable premium for that then it's got to be true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

gently caress this site

Only registered members can see post attachments!