Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Well NOW I’m pissed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
It's just not the same listening to grindcore when it's not a hot stamp.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

CPL593H posted:

Someone sent me this so I would get mad and I got mad so now I'm posting it here so some of you will get mad.

https://better-records.com/

was wondering how this could possibly be a profitable venture but it reminds me of that book on Amazon "How to make $200,000 selling books" where the book costs $200,000

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
okay hold up they aren't even doing the crazy "half speed 45 RPM remaster" thing they're literally just buying up as many copies of Bob Seger records as they can and selling the cleanest one for $299

quote:

We're unique in that we're the only record dealers who base the price of their records on the quality of their sound.

pretty sure every record shop in the country takes condition into consideration

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
More better = more money, it's simple math.

quote:

Many people find the ideas (and the prices!) on this website shocking. Frankly, they would be shocking to us too if we weren't hearing such dramatic differences in the sound quality of the large numbers of copies we play every day.

Our full time staff of eight devotes its time to finding, cleaning and playing as many pressings of an album as we can get our hands on. We take only the best sounding copies – we call them "Hot Stampers” – and make them available exclusively to those who appreciate (and can afford) the ultimate in analog sound.

A bold strategy to openly say you're targeting the dumbest of whales, but I admire the moxy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

JAMOOOL posted:

okay hold up they aren't even doing the crazy "half speed 45 RPM remaster" thing they're literally just buying up as many copies of Bob Seger records as they can and selling the cleanest one for $299

pretty sure every record shop in the country takes condition into consideration

You fool! It's not the physical condition, it's THE SOUND!. They actually use the phrase "critical listening skills" one their site. "It does sound better, you're just listening to it wrong." :smug:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

CPL593H posted:

You fool! It's not the physical condition, it's THE SOUND!. They actually use the phrase "critical listening skills" one their site. "It does sound better, you're just listening to it wrong." :smug:

Little did we know, one record in every 2000 or so is just imbued with magic that makes it sound better, and these enterprising folks have unlocked the secret!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
(pressing the side of my head to the speaker) yes. Yes. This is definitely an A+++ copy of Green Day's "Dookie." I will cherish this glimpse into the serene realm of masterful craft tonight

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
What separates this hot stampers site from the crowd, is they aren’t even putting up the façade of “these are amongst the earliest pressings.”

Just straight-up more money=better than

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
they aren't SUPER WHITE ULTRA HOT STAMPERS, but filling out my Jeff Rosenstock collection always feels good.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Anyone else pick up the Runners Club 95 represses today? There's some left of Panama Papers, plenty of No Sugar Added.

https://mypetflamingo.bandcamp.com/album/panama-papers

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

IG-88 posted:

Anyone else pick up the Runners Club 95 represses today? There's some left of Panama Papers, plenty of No Sugar Added.

https://mypetflamingo.bandcamp.com/album/panama-papers

Nope, too busy over on Ripple music's Bandcamp using their 20% off code "heavy" Plus, I did get a record from them today:

As penance for derailing vaporwave chat, here's something that's kinda in a similar wheelhouse:

https://domamolchat.bandcamp.com/album/etazhi-2018

(They also have a new album coming out soon.)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

so I finally got all my stuff imported into Discogs (you can see it here if you care) and I discovered something cool - my copy of OK Computer is apparently this one:

https://www.discogs.com/Radiohead-OK-Computer/release/4950798

which as you can see goes for a lot of money. mine is actually sealed because when I bought it my turntable was in storage. idk if I believe that I could really get $500 for it, I know high-end Discogs prices are always pretty inflated, but there doesn't seem to be much sales data on it. what should I do with this? I'm not really that big into Radiohead, I'd be good with like...one of the reissues. I'd like to offload it so I can buy more obscure Japanese technopop poo poo that nobody cares about.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
List it at a Hail Mary price and see what happens. An extra $500 would be nice.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

JAMOOOL posted:

I'd like to offload it so I can buy more obscure Japanese technopop poo poo that nobody cares about.

I've been real into this band for the past week or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4I_Z1a9j8o

And the prices on getting any of their music is absolutely absurd because they basically seem to not exist, even on CD.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

JAMOOOL posted:

so I finally got all my stuff imported into Discogs (you can see it here if you care) and I discovered something cool - my copy of OK Computer is apparently this one:

which as you can see goes for a lot of money. mine is actually sealed because when I bought it my turntable was in storage. idk if I believe that I could really get $500 for it, I know high-end Discogs prices are always pretty inflated, but there doesn't seem to be much sales data on it. what should I do with this? I'm not really that big into Radiohead, I'd be good with like...one of the reissues. I'd like to offload it so I can buy more obscure Japanese technopop poo poo that nobody cares about.

I will give you $20

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

The fastest way to move stuff like that is ebay. See what the trending price for that is an go slightly under it. Or you can list it as buy it now or best offer for a bit more than you really want so someone will haggle you to a closer price than what you want. I did this last night for a lot of comic books I listed at 550 as a BIN/OBO. I didn't think that price was realistic at all, I basically wanted to have someone give me the number I was really hoping for. But less than 24 hours later someone bought it at full price after offering 500 but then 15 minutes later they needed to have it and decided to just kick in the extra 50 bucks. My point is that the people who can afford poo poo like that are crazy and stupid and will often snap that poo poo up as fast as they can. The draw back to ebay is that they take 10% of the money you get including what you receive for shipping and then paypal takes a little bite too. But like I said that's how you move poo poo fast and the way I look at it is even if I don't get top dollar for something because I had to pay through the rear end in fees it's still worth more than it was when it was collecting dust in a box in my closet. If you have the patience just do what the other poster said and throw it up on discogs for a Hail Mary price. But discogs also has an OBO feature so you can use a similar strategy there. I've sold enough comic book crap on ebay to know that if put the price higher than what you want or expect to get and someone makes an offer for a realistic price and you except they get the warm fuzzies because they thing they got a great deal. Another time I had a big book on there for a hundred dollars with ten bucks shipping. It was up for weeks. One day I set it to free shipping and it sold within an hour. People love it when they think they beat the system. I will also offer shipping cheaper than what it really costs but add a little to the prices of things to compensate for that. I've rarely had things on ebay that were there for more than a few days.

Also if you weren't aware in addition to looking at ebay sold auctions (which only go back a short time) check popsike.com because it shows you trends in pricing on records over a long term period.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

JAMOOOL posted:

Open it up, listen to it with your golden ears, declare it the whitest, hottest rec you ever heard, and then sell it for $1000

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

awww gently caress guys it's a Cold Stamper

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

JAMOOOL posted:

awww gently caress guys it's a Cold Stamper

if you put it in the oven it'll reheat into a hot stamper.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm afraid this copy of Aja is merely a lukewarm stamper. There are tissues on the table behind you.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This thread reminded me of Ye Olden Days when no one gave a poo poo about Record Store Day and it was a fun lowkey thing they released these reissue Radiohead EPs that were collecting dust in Newbury Comics for a few years. They had these plain brown covers with a miniature version of the original cover art in the corner. I have no idea why they did that. I think that might have been from the first Record Store Day. A lot of that stuff sells for jack poo poo now. I just found the list from that year and it's pretty interesting how drastically different everything about it was compared to now. I pretty vividly remember this. I was in a Newbury Comics and I was looking at records and poo poo as usual and the guy working there was like "Today is Record Store Day." and I said "What the hell is that?" so he explained they just had some singles and poo poo released for the occasion and I said "Oh cool." and bought a Flight of the Conchords single.

https://recordstoreday.com/CustomPage/642

I can't seem to remember how long it took for it to become a whole clusterfuck of assholes and price gouging though.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Picked these up this morning, only 5 people in the queue when I arrived. Apparently there was an issue with the shipping of Tron Legacy soundtrack so a few people went home empty handed

I thumbed over a copy of the residents icky flix, thought if you CPL593H caligulamprey I regret not picking it up now.

Mystery Steve fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 26, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
what the hell, I had no idea that there was a datarock RSD vinyl. looks like it's UK/EU only, which makes sense, as the only people on this side of the Atlantic who remember them exclusively do from video game soundtracks

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
i remember them in ipod nano advertisements

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
It's 6:20 am on the east coast anybody else up and in line? The record shop was nice enough to post a five minute video thumbing through everything they got so I know there's plenty of Parish Hall for me, but only two of the French psych album I also wanted.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I'm just hoping to get lucky on newbury comics website today since I have to work :(

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That sucks, my back up plan was to spend the rest of the day refreshing discogs for lack of any other ideas.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I’ll put this out there just in case. If anyone sees today’s Dirty Three - Ocean Songs and grabs it for me, I will pay you a convenience fee for the trouble. None of the stores near me are getting it, nor could they even order it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Asnorban posted:

I’ll put this out there just in case. If anyone sees today’s Dirty Three - Ocean Songs and grabs it for me, I will pay you a convenience fee for the trouble. None of the stores near me are getting it, nor could they even order it.

I double checked the convenient video for the record store I'm at on facebook and didn't see this. I'm too dumb to figure out how to link to said videos on mobile but I am at Record Archive in Rochester if you want to skip back a couple of posts (on fb) for it and look yourself. I could have missed it.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Turbinosamente posted:

I double checked the convenient video for the record store I'm at on facebook and didn't see this. I'm too dumb to figure out how to link to said videos on mobile but I am at Record Archive in Rochester if you want to skip back a couple of posts (on fb) for it and look yourself. I could have missed it.

Didn’t see it either, but thanks for heads up!

Edit: There’s a thread on reddit saying it was pulled and is a general release. If that’s the case: hell yeah.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 26, 2020

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Asnorban posted:

Didn’t see it either, but thanks for heads up!

No problem, something to do while in line! Almost time to actually get in the shop.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I ended up paying like 35$ over MSRP yesterday for the ODB 7" box set that came out for RSD. Afternoon drunk me didn't feel like getting up at the rear end crack of dawn to sit in line for a couple hours, ha. :shrug:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Got the one thing I wanted which was Curren$y’s Pilot Talk. Literally nothing else today or in next month’s drop interests me in the slightest so looking forward to sleeping in for October.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

RSD stuff is available on Newbury

https://www.newburycomics.com/collections/rsd-drops

already got my copy of Hackers :dance:

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

gently caress, Hackers is gone I guess.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I went to the record store yesterday to be a contrarian and spent 32 bucks on a T. rex reissue. My favorite store has started price gouging and it bums me out

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

My record store did another "fill out what you want, we'll bag it, pay and leave" for this month and got there a bit early but saw Biggie box set blow out super fast, then rolling stones in that order.

Now that I know there is a friggen datarock EU only release i'm debating picking that up.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I had no idea how that was gonna play out as I sure as poo poo wasn't going to line up at 4 in the morning with an acid hangover like last year. Showed up 30 minutes after opening and was 7th in line. That was somehow the most stressful and easiest RSD on record.

Icky's great (even though it was originally recorded specifically for 5.1 DVD sound), but I needed that Death Piggy (Pre-Gwar goofball Hardcore) album. The 7"s run in the hundreds, this is the first re-release of any of the material, it comes with unreleased songs and includes a live show download of an acoustic guerrilla concert. The 7" is Orville Peck singing Righteous Brothers covers that'll drop your panties.

In summary: masked people buying records from masked people of music by masked musicians.

Fun fact: Icky Flix marks the last appearance of someone wearing an eyeball on stage at a Residents show. It was officially retired during the Demons Dance Alone tour.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

IG-88 posted:

gently caress, Hackers is gone I guess.

Nine copies here:

https://www.yellowdogdiscs.com/collections/rsd-2020/products/various-artists-135