Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If we're helping out with links I do need a lead on I Saved Latin! A Tribute to Wes Anderson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

My haul from this morning. A helpful internet person snagged me a copy of Curren$y - Pilot Talk so I'll get that in whatever timeline the USPS sees fit. That's an original pressing of Repeater too! snagged it for $40 at Thrillhouse records.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

incoherent posted:

If we're helping out with links I do need a lead on I Saved Latin! A Tribute to Wes Anderson

Plaidroom has 3 in stock, which may hold up until they list their RSD titles online at 4 p.m. Eastern:

https://www.plaidroomrecords.com/products/b-various-artists-b-br-i-i-saved-latin-a-tribute-to-wes-anderson-i?_pos=1&_sid=e10c00baf&_ss=r

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ty for the link. blew out in -:00 seconds. I'm sure someone put the 4 in their chart and checked out.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Thank you dude! I saw the link on Reddit while I was out of the house and did a quick buy from my phone. Just got back home and saw your post haha

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Kinda tempted to get the Boys Next Door, but aside from "Shivers" nothing is essential. Mostly for Cave completeness but...eh.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

A second drop of Hackers is due here at 6 EST.

https://www.banquetrecords.com/hackers-%28soundtrack%29-%5Brsd20%5D/various-artists/VSD00206

edit: Oh, I don't think that's EST since they're charging pounds or whatever

IG-88 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 26, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Photex posted:

I'm just hoping to get lucky on newbury comics website today since I have to work :(

I use to be very well acquainted with a bunch of people who worked at the Newbury in my area just from years of going there. So every year before RSD I would just give them a list of the poo poo I wanted, they'd order it, and then hold it behind the counter for me because they knew I actually listen to the poo poo. Tthat ended because some jerkoff who was flipping stuff was blabbing all over about having them save his poo poo like that so then they had a company wide policy that made this no longer allowed under penalty of firing.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I went to the record store yesterday to be a contrarian and spent 32 bucks on a T. rex reissue. My favorite store has started price gouging and it bums me out

Which album?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Electric warrior. After listening to it it’s really fuckin good. Maybe not 32 dollars good but close

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

dorium posted:

My haul from this morning. A helpful internet person snagged me a copy of Curren$y - Pilot Talk so I'll get that in whatever timeline the USPS sees fit. That's an original pressing of Repeater too! snagged it for $40 at Thrillhouse records.

Pilot Talk is awesome, nice pickup.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

dorium posted:

That's an original pressing of Repeater too! snagged it for $40 at Thrillhouse records.

Nice! Thrillhouse in SF? I need to make the effort to go there more. I usually just walk down to 1-2-3-4 Go. I haven’t been to a record store in so long :smith:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Pilot Talk is awesome, nice pickup.

Current prices for it on discogs is $60 and up so definitely don’t sleep on it if you see it in the store. I made the mistake of missing out on Fetti a year or so ago but at the time I didn’t worry because it was a “RSD First Release” so I figured a wider pressing would be forthcoming.

Whelp it’s been a year and a half and the cheapest copy is currently $200 :shepicide:

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
quote="Toe Rag" post="508398788"]
Nice! Thrillhouse in SF? I need to make the effort to go there more. I usually just walk down to 1-2-3-4 Go. I haven’t been to a record store in so long :smith:
[/quote]

I miss record shopping in the bay. Still getting my legs under me up north.

Have an afternoon to myself and I put on Neurosis - A Sun that Never Sets to find that my copy has a nice scratch directly through the title track.

I have no recollection of this scratch but I am the only one that handles these records. :sigh:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Okay it's late now and here is my pickup poo poo post. Got everything I wanted and then some:

Random thoughts about the experience include:

-Found out that between 6 to 6:30 am is the prime time for getting in the front of the line, I was there at 6:10 for my Parish Hall.

-There was only two copies of the French psych album for some reason, and now that I've got it and listened to it it was a little disappointing as its on the lighter, poppier side of things like the White Whale compilation was last month.

-I almost passed on the Dutch psych album but glad I didn't because it's the slightly heavier stuff I have been looking for. Also this is how if find out that The Prodigy's song Phoenix is just a remix of Shocking Blue's Love Buzz? Wtf! It was one of my favorite Prodigy songs as a kid and it kinda cheapens it to know that they didn't really come up with it: just made it heavier and rearranged some parts. It seems like a low effort remix now.

-Other shocking news: I was somehow one of three people in the first group looking for the Squirrel Nut Zippers album. I didn't think anyone cared about the band but I guess Rochester is a jazz town after all, even though SNZ is more swing (:goonsay:)

-I haven't tried the two singles yet, they were just stuff that seems interesting/I've heard of the group.

-And finally I bought the Residents solely because of caligulamprey and all other Resident residents in the thread. It had better be good :colbert:. Well that and a random comment I once read that said something to the effect that Chill from Dr. Mario is the closest you can get to a Resident's song on the NES.

In conclusion I don't think I'm going bother getting my rear end up in October. The one thing I'm barely interested in is the Brazilian psych album and perhaps a couple of the live albums, but I think I'm going to leave it to chance and roll out of bed whenever. If they're still there then I was meant to have them. Perhaps I'll take the opportunity to hit up the other record stores in the area instead of always going to the biggest one.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Toe Rag posted:

Yep, one in the same. Unfortunately the 1234 SF location is now out of business. Only record spot on Valencia is Stranded (formally Aquarius). Thrillhouse is only a 5 minute bus ride from my apartment so it’s my haunting ground.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That is literally the worst thing I’ve heard in 6 months.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric warrior. After listening to it it’s really fuckin good. Maybe not 32 dollars good but close

If it was a Mobile Fidelity pressing you got a really good deal on it.

Ballz posted:

Current prices for it on discogs is $60 and up so definitely don’t sleep on it if you see it in the store. I made the mistake of missing out on Fetti a year or so ago but at the time I didn’t worry because it was a “RSD First Release” so I figured a wider pressing would be forthcoming.

Whelp it’s been a year and a half and the cheapest copy is currently $200 :shepicide:

What's weird about RSD stuff is that within a few months no one cares and people will even sell it for under retail price to dump it. Or you can't even look at one for less than a three digit price. And there's no rhyme or reason to it usually.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

incoherent posted:

Ty for the link. blew out in -:00 seconds. I'm sure someone put the 4 in their chart and checked out.

Available here if you're quick:

https://used.darksiderecords.com/various-i-saved-latin-a-tribute-to-wes-anderson-rs.html

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Toe Rag posted:

I haven’t been to a record store in so long :smith:
Today was the first time I hit a record store since January. I wish I had more money and more time to check out the non-RSD stock.

Turbinosamente posted:

-And finally I bought the Residents solely because of caligulamprey and all other Resident residents in the thread. It had better be good :colbert:.
Ahahahaa! I have no idea what kind of an entry point Icky Flix is, but it has a lot of cornerstones of what I love about later-period releases: really dark, textural guitar work, Molly Harvey on vocals and The Singing Resident screaming incoherently. What the gently caress is that dude doing during their cover of Songs for Swinging Larvae? I don't know, but I still stomp around the house going YARRRR-YAHHHHH! from time to time.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Toe Rag posted:

That is literally the worst thing I’ve heard in 6 months.

They’re still alive in Oakland and doing mail orders if you want to help them out!

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I’m hoping that there will be another release of the Scott Pilgrim video game soundtrack with the game being put out again. That’s the one RSD release I missed that never got down to “yeah I’d spend that much on it” territory for me.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Schremp Howard posted:

I’m hoping that there will be another release of the Scott Pilgrim video game soundtrack with the game being put out again. That’s the one RSD release I missed that never got down to “yeah I’d spend that much on it” territory for me.

Anamanaguchi's back catalog has been getting represses, so it's possible. There's also this tweet from the band:

https://twitter.com/anamanaguchi/status/1293246202281066498

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Found a garage sale yesterday that had a good selection of stuff. Ended up picking up Trap Them's "Blissfucker" and a handful of 7"s for less than $20.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Hey hi Vinyl Thread. I'm 100% new to vinyl, just getting my first turntable. My question: how seriously should I take reviews of "poor pressings" and the like from Discogs (eg https://www.discogs.com/Arcade-Fire-Funeral/master/1945). Is this only for ultra-audiophile experts, or would I care and notice even early on? I'll be starting with a U-Turn Basic and some fairly standard speakers, figuring on upgrading the system if and as I get more into the hobby.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's hard to say, but given how many people are complaining about the mastering it may be worth taking seriously. This album looks like it got multiple pressings and isn't too expensive overall, maybe check the reviews on earlier pressings and see if there's one that got better reviews.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It's impossible to say. You can try doing some Google searching, but it's hit or miss. Especially since things like "flat" can be hard to qualify in sounds quality.

One thing to note about that album is that side 2 is about 26 minutes long, which is pretty long for a record. That may also just be a problem that the album is going to have.

Honestly, if you want the album, don't worry too much if the price is right. A lot of time, people online resort to hyperbole.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I had the original pressing and it seemed fine for what it was. never really thought of it as being bad or anything. its hard to tell off one source alone so I usually check needlesandgrooves forum, steve hoffman forum, here and discogs and get some sort of general consensus if there is one. if not I take a look at the pressing plant info for the record on discogs and who mastered it and if they're of a general high quality that I know of I feel pretty confident in what im buying.

Also considering who the band is. Like I'm not gonna put that much effort into a Dead Kennedy's release. I generally stay pretty OP with punk records.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Mystery Steve posted:

Picked these up this morning, only 5 people in the queue when I arrived. Apparently there was an issue with the shipping of Tron Legacy soundtrack so a few people went home empty handed

I thumbed over a copy of the residents icky flix, thought if you CPL593H caligulamprey I regret not picking it up now.

really would love a copy of that Datarock record, I have Red & Face the Brutality so yeah getting that would be neat

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

onefish posted:

Hey hi Vinyl Thread. I'm 100% new to vinyl, just getting my first turntable. My question: how seriously should I take reviews of "poor pressings" and the like from Discogs (eg https://www.discogs.com/Arcade-Fire-Funeral/master/1945). Is this only for ultra-audiophile experts, or would I care and notice even early on? I'll be starting with a U-Turn Basic and some fairly standard speakers, figuring on upgrading the system if and as I get more into the hobby.

Occasionally there is a known issue with some pressing or another, but record people are loving nuts and a lot of them will scream bloody murder about the tiniest goddamn thing. If it's something serious people are saying like the mastering was done improperly or something went wrong with the pressing just google it and see what the consensus is. Several years back I got a Third Man Records LP that was clearly a bad pressing. So I emailed them and they sent me another which sound the same. So I said that and the guy condescended to me and said "Well it's a live album so it's not going to sound like a studio album.". So I did a bit of digging and found people on some forums talking about it and one copy/pasted an email from the same guy saying there was a batch if those which had a pressing error. When poo poo like this happens someone will be talking about it somewhere.

Epilogue to that story. After I received two additional lovely copies of that record the guy got sick of hearing from me and they sent me a test pressing.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

JAMOOOL posted:

really would love a copy of that Datarock record, I have Red & Face the Brutality so yeah getting that would be neat

Yeah, I was pretty surprised it had never made it to wax first time round, when I learned about it the night before, I had to be in line, Pretty stoked.

My local had 2 copies, there was supposed to be 5 but the owner was telling me when arranging the store till 2am they discovered around 50 records were smashed in shipping.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

Occasionally there is a known issue with some pressing or another, but record people are loving nuts and a lot of them will scream bloody murder about the tiniest goddamn thing. If it's something serious people are saying like the mastering was done improperly or something went wrong with the pressing just google it and see what the consensus is. Several years back I got a Third Man Records LP that was clearly a bad pressing. So I emailed them and they sent me another which sound the same. So I said that and the guy condescended to me and said "Well it's a live album so it's not going to sound like a studio album.". So I did a bit of digging and found people on some forums talking about it and one copy/pasted an email from the same guy saying there was a batch if those which had a pressing error. When poo poo like this happens someone will be talking about it somewhere.

Epilogue to that story. After I received two additional lovely copies of that record the guy got sick of hearing from me and they sent me a test pressing.

Wait what

Did the test pressing sound better? What record was this?

Mystery Steve posted:

Yeah, I was pretty surprised it had never made it to wax first time round, when I learned about it the night before, I had to be in line, Pretty stoked.

My local had 2 copies, there was supposed to be 5 but the owner was telling me when arranging the store till 2am they discovered around 50 records were smashed in shipping.

I feel sick.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Wait what

Did the test pressing sound better? What record was this?

I feel sick.

The test pressing was perfect. I forgot to mention that it was a Vault thing. What happened is when the were pressing the one that went out to people it was one of those dual color things (I don't know if that had anything to do with it though) and the plates didn't line up correctly or something and it caused the record to sound like poo poo. I don't know if this effected all copies or just some of them but I got three that all sounded like garbage before they gave me the TP. My guess is that a lot of people didn't notice because they were listening to it on cheap built in speaker turntables or they bought it to flip it. Or they just don't know what a pressing error sounds like and they just assumed it was something to do with the split color. They probably gave test pressings to a bunch of people because someone made a discogs entry for it. This is the album:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Raconteurs-Live-At-Third-Man-Records/release/3328337

Mystery Steve posted:

The guys who I got the David Bowie live album from told me they got a second shipment because those and a bunch of other poo poo got hosed up in shipping. So I'm guess RSD just dropped the ball this year. Also if anyone feels like they missed out on that album, don't worry because it sucks. He sounds like he's half asleep and the performance on the album is very lukewarm. This is also the problem with the old David Live album he put out in the 70s. If you want to hear a good live album of that era check out Cracked Actor: Live in Los Angeles 1974. You can get it on CD if you don't feel like paying whatever absurd price people are selling it for right now. Amusingly Welcome To the Blackout was selling for under the original retail price despite being the better album by far. Cracked Actor is still good, it's just that Welcome to the Blackout is possibly the best David Bowie live album.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 28, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I was digging through my collection for something chill to listen to and found the copy of Lana del Ray's Ultraviolence I bought several years ago on a whim and forgot about. Still had my original receipt in it, $35. That was a nice surprise.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Heath posted:

I was digging through my collection for something chill to listen to and found the copy of Lana del Ray's Ultraviolence I bought several years ago on a whim and forgot about. Still had my original receipt in it, $35. That was a nice surprise.

I just looked it up and you can get the German pressing shipped to the use for little more than 30 bucks. lol at people who are paying three digit prices for that.

edit: I got the MoFi edition of Sea Change for 30 bucks. That was probably also the last time MoFi's original retail price was under 50 dollars.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

CPL593H posted:

I just looked it up and you can get the German pressing shipped to the use for little more than 30 bucks. lol at people who are paying three digit prices for that.

edit: I got the MoFi edition of Sea Change for 30 bucks. That was probably also the last time MoFi's original retail price was under 50 dollars.

This specific colored vinyl/alternate cover release is the one I've got. US only, from what I can tell.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Heath posted:

This specific colored vinyl/alternate cover release is the one I've got. US only, from what I can tell.

I figured it was something like that. I just think all that collector wank is stupid. I just want to listen to the thing.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Having a couple records that flip high are nice to have in the collection though. Especially when there’s something out there you really want and could use the extra cash to get it. I just flipped something for a couple big ones and now I’m gunna go buy myself some nice boots’

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Ship to Shore is releasing a nice-looking SM64 orchestral album, and since $45 isn't enough to fork over, the shipping (along with a pin I'd added) was over $20. Spending almost half a C-note for vidyagame music is as nuts as I'm willing to get, if you can't figure out how to ship it any cheaper, piss off.

I'm simultaneously upset at not getting it and at having been willing to spend even $45 for it. Also I think this may trigger CPL593H. I am part of the problem.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

pwn posted:

Ship to Shore is releasing a nice-looking SM64 orchestral album, and since $45 isn't enough to fork over, the shipping (along with a pin I'd added) was over $20. Spending almost half a C-note for vidyagame music is as nuts as I'm willing to get, if you can't figure out how to ship it any cheaper, piss off.

I'm simultaneously upset at not getting it and at having been willing to spend even $45 for it. Also I think this may trigger CPL593H. I am part of the problem.

Can't even ship a CD out of the US for less than $20 these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Boinks posted:

Can't even ship a CD out of the US for less than $20 these days.

Pretty sure that pwn is inside the US. Did the shipping option default to priority mail or something? I did pay like 17 bucks priority last time I got stuff from S to S because it was only a dollar more than the media mail estimate. However I had 3 lps and a 45 and just figured it was sheer weight of the package.