Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cemetry Gator posted:

There already is a grading scale for vinyl, so it would be hard. And those grading companies are basically scams, but you know, it comes with the industry. But starting one for vinyl would be tough because you already have a system everybody uses.

The other challenge is that grading vinyl is a little more in depth than grading a card. A journey record is 40 minutes. And you have to listen to all 40 to make sure the record is flawless.

I went to a few comic cons and you could pay to have a CGC employee witness you getting an autograph to verify its authenticity for when you have it graded and I can't imagine anything more joyless. It's also kind of a "gently caress you." to the creator because it just screams "I'm not here because I appreciate your work I just want some of that sweet, sweet ebay money.".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!

Cemetry Gator posted:

If I died, I could call up my local record store,

Ok, spotting one slight issue with this.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Cemetry Gator posted:

I imagine there's quite a few challenges.

First off, records are more popular than baseball cards. Like, even if you're really into baseball, you might not give a drat about the cards. But records? There are plenty of people with a passing interest in vinyl. That's why you have vinyl at Walmart and Target.

So if you want to sell a baseball card, you need to have it graded. It makes a huge change in the value. Your buyers are more limited, and thus, more selective.

But if you want to sell a record - it's easy. If I died, I could call up my local record store, and they could take my records off my hands and sell most of them in a reasonable time frame.

So if you're a seller, why bother. Sure, maybe you could sell your Journey record for 1000 bucks. But that will cost you time and money. On the other hand, you could also sell it for 10 pretty quickly. That's the one accurate thing about Pawn Stars. The top price is something you're not just going to get without a bit of luck and a lot of work - unless you have something people really want.

Oh yeah I don't disagree that that this isn't for everyone and at best is for a fraction of collectors. Even as someone who collects cards I don't care about buying anything graded and have only considered it for stuff that I want either some sort of extra protection to or would rather flip it and know I could get significantly more if it came back with a high grade. But a lot of record people are weird to begin with. People who just want a good playing copy wouldn't care for it, but you'd definitely have people who would go crazy for some high grade copy of an album, even if just to say they spent the money on it. Given how much other stuff in this hobby can go from cheap to reasonable to expensive to dear god why would you buy that, I'm just surprised nobody has tried to cash in on it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ok, spotting one slight issue with this.

every serious collector should have a recorded message on a dead man's switch ready to go so their next of kin dont wind up throwing out their ultra-rare thousand-dollar hot stampers in a 50 cent yard sale bin

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

You joke but I have more past than future and Iím gonna make a Real Big List of all my valuable poo poo, someday