Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Charlie Brown Christmas reissue was released recently, I bought it and it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

traveling midget posted:

Is this new MoFi a different master than the old MoFi?

I don't think so. What I meant is that the mo-fi version of this album is very good. It'd be pretty pointless to redo it.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

JehovahsWetness posted:

Joseph remains the only xmas album worth playing.
http://handalligator.com/mp3/shopping.mp3

Well they did capture the true spirit of christmas. Also this rules, who is it?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Well they did capture the true spirit of christmas. Also this rules, who is it?

Joseph - Merry Christmas To You. Cali LP that doesn't show up very often, my theory is because it's really effectively camouflaged as far as records go:

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012
I do not care about christmas until I get my days off. BUT GUESS WHAT CAME IN THE MAIL

Further expanding my pathetic collection of colour LP's and Grind in physical print. I actually really wanted the deep red edition but wasn't willing to purchase the deluxe edition just to aquire it.

dutch wife abc fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 8, 2012

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

alg posted:

What do y'all listen to as far as Christmas albums? I generally prefer new albums since I don't really have a good setup for deep cleaning. I have She & Him and Charlie Brown. What else is out there as far as recent releases?

It's not available on vinyl, but I play Lindstrom's 40-minute version of Little Drummer Boy (the one that came with copies of Real Life Is No Cool) every year and I play it LOUD.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

CPL593H posted:

Is this a this a thing that's actually happening? Because if so that's really loving stupid. I actually like the Beatles, but Jesus Christ we don't need anymore reissues. The 2009 CDs were great and that should have been the final word.

I got an email from Run For Cover records about two weeks ago explaining that my Tigers Jaw represses and 7" would be delayed for about a week, saying that most plants are having pressing delays at the moment. They also passed along two little articles here and here to discuss the issue a little bit. Still waiting now, but I'm thinking they're just waiting to send me everything at once, but waiting on five records is never fun.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007
There is a Death Cab Reissue coming out if anyone is interested. It is limited to 1500 copies.
http://www.ainr.com/item_dcfc.html

quote:

This deluxe box set contains all of Death Cab for Cutie's early albums and E.P.s, some never before available on vinyl. All the records from the original 1997 cassette-only “demo” You Can Play These Songs With Chords (originally released via the band’s first label, Bellingham, WA-based Elsinor) through 2001’s The Stability E.P. have been re-mastered by Roger Seibel at SAE, bringing the audio quality of those pressings up to that of the band’s ground-breaking classic 2003 opus (and final studio release via Barsuk) Transatlanticism. Three releases in the package (You Can Play These Songs With Chords, The Stability E.P., and The Death Cab for Cutie Forbidden Love E.P.) are available for the first time on vinyl, only as a part of this box – the entire set is pressed on hefty, beautiful 180-gram vinyl. Each release is packaged individually in its own jacket with the album’s original artwork, and then collected snugly in an individually-numbered cloth-bound box and signed by the band.

It looks pretty nice, but for $225 ill have to pass :(

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I know I've posted this a bunch, but does anyone want to buy my spare sealed copy of At The Drive-In - Vaya on Half Pink/Half Yellow (Euro/JP)?

Discogs wants $25 + shipping from Europe, I can do $25 shipped.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 9, 2012

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

FML.

quote:

Unfortunately, an unexpected delay from our supplier may prevent us from delivering some items in your order placed on October 26, 2012 (Order# 105-1822483-8057814) by December 24.The following item(s) from your order is delayed:

Crystal Castles "III"

what is going on right now.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'm planning a trip to the Boston and Portsmouth area next week. Recommended shops?

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

alg posted:

FML.

what is going on right now.

I really hope it doesn't deliver around then because I'll be away for holiday, but also yeah COME ON!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cheesus posted:

I'm planning a trip to the Boston and Portsmouth area next week. Recommended shops?

Boston has a stupid amount of record stores. But I would recommend the Armageddon Shop in Harvard Square. Also in Cambridge is In Your Ear which is a good place. Rhode Island also has the original Armageddon Shop in Providence which is down the street from another awesome place called Analog Underground. Rhode Island has a ton of shops too, but these are my favorites. Here's some links that will tell you you where these places are.

http://www.armageddonshop.com/
http://www.iye.com/html_index.cfm?page=home
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Analog-Underground/133108133367327

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cheesus posted:

There are quite a few in Boston- honestly, there are like 3 along Commonwealth Ave alone. My favorite place for used stuff is InYourEar on Commonwealth (up by the BU Playwrights' Theater, near the Goodwill Store). I always find something interesting there, the dude behind the counter is fun to talk to, and the prices are very fair. There's a place on Commonwealth down near BU that specializes in weirder old stuff but the name escapes me. There's another store near Berklee, but I have also forgotten it. Just ask around, really. There are also Newberry Comics stores strewn all over the city if you're looking for new vinyl. You won't find anything particularly obscure or niche there, but it may or may not be worth a visit. Think Bullmoose, but in more strategically touristy places.

CPL593H posted:

Boston has a stupid amount of record stores. But I would recommend the Armageddon Shop in Harvard Square. Also in Cambridge is In Your Ear which is a good place.

There's an InYourEar in Cambridge? That's news to me.

Also: New Finds:

50 Elvis tracks in mono? Yes, please.

Also, this thing finally arrived.

First it was supposed to be released in June...then in September...then on Election day. The art direction's pretty neat. Black everywhere except for an included art book featuring all of the single covers. Also a DVD of the videos, which is nice. I wish they'd do this for the first batch of songs (the "BOUNTY" series), since I think they're kind of better.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 10, 2012

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Cheesus posted:

Up in Portsmouth there's Bullmoose and Skeletone both on the same street. Skeletone isn't exactly cheap for the big stuff, but they've got quite a few albums for a buck a piece. Also, if you're into beer, check out the Portsmouth Brewery while you're there.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SkeleTone-Records-and-Alternative-Fashion/194644153896315?sk=info

If you're willing to drive about 45 minutes inland from Portsmouth, RS Butler's in Northwood is an antique store that has a bunch of vinyl in the back.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/RS-Butlers-Trading-Company/101220049966635?sk=info

Also, I'd say pull over at random antique stores on the way (especially if you go to RS Butler's because there's a bunch in that area). You never know what you'll find. I've found a few things I've been searching for that real record stores didn't have and for cheaper than a store would sell them for. And finally, if you happen to end up near Manchester on your travels, check out Music Connection across from the mall. Again, not the cheapest store, but there's a stupid amount of vinyl in there. Just know it stinks in there because the owner smokes in the backroom, if that's something that bothers you.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Skeletone also has bins of $4 "punk" records that are great to buy impulsively because of their covers. I got some cool stuff I've never heard before doing that (also, a Tar record, which was neat)

is that RS Butler's place actually worth it? I figured it would just be regular old antique store swill...

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

big business sloth posted:

Skeletone also has bins of $4 "punk" records that are great to buy impulsively because of their covers. I got some cool stuff I've never heard before doing that (also, a Tar record, which was neat)

is that RS Butler's place actually worth it? I figured it would just be regular old antique store swill...

Yeah, I forgot to mention Skeletone has some good punk stuff to look through. If you're close to Butler's, I say it's worth checking out. It's not just old Christmas records and Perry Como runoff like at a lot of antique stores. The whole back end of it is records, plus up near the front they'll have a section with stuff they've just gotten in. I've seen Kanye West, White Zombie, Brian Wilson's Smile and a myriad of others in that particular section. It's where I got that bootleg of Smile that I posted about a few months ago. In the back they've got pretty much all the regular sections you'd see at a regular music store. $4 is the base price for vinyl there, and there's some pretty good stuff (and some stuff not worth that, of course) for that price.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I'm not a Smashing Pumpkins fan but the new 4 LP re-issue/re-master set of Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness is only 28 Canadian Dollars on Amazon.ca, an almost 46 dollar difference with the one on Amazon.com.

e: Also, a strictly limited to 150 copies edition of the soundtrack of Bill Wheatley's (director of one of last years best movies, Kill List) new black comedy movie Sightseers?

I know nothing about that, but I'll take that chance.

It's even signed by Wheatley and the composer :3:

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 10, 2012

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Some more cool stuff I got recently:

Lightning Bolt - Oblivion Hunter
Black Moth Super Rainbow - Don't You Want to Be in a Cult?
The Residents - Third Reich n Roll
Tubeway Army - Replicas

Ramones - s/t
Ramones - Rocket to Russia
The Mothers - We're Only in it for the Money
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One

I saw Deerhoof last night, which was loving amazing. I had all of the albums they were selling, so I picked up a bunch of 7"s:

Deerhoof / Half Waif - Sexy, But Sparkly
Deerhoof / of Montreal - Stygian x} Bisection
Deerhoof / WOOM - WOOM on Hoof
Deerhoof / David Bazan - Bazan and Deerhoof

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 10, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I want this so bad.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm not a Smashing Pumpkins fan but the new 4 LP re-issue/re-master set of Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness is only 28 Canadian Dollars on Amazon.ca, an almost 46 dollar difference with the one on Amazon.com.

Shipping is high to the US ($10), but $40 total is a lot more palatable than $74.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

eggsovereasy posted:

Shipping is high to the US ($10), but $40 total is a lot more palatable than $74.

Why is it only 6 bucks to mainland Europe then? :psyduck:

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

eggsovereasy posted:

Looks like its back up to 65 CDN, I shoulda grabbed it before going to sleep.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It's the second time it's gone down that low, so unlike Mr. T visiting your local mall, it may happen again. I don't know why they keep doing that, though.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
God loving damnit I missed that Pumpkins deal AGAIN?

They can't possibly gently caress that up again can they? I never ever use Amazon.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

eggsovereasy posted:

$10 really isn't that bad considering it's four 180g records and two books.

I ordered a copy the first time it went down in price a few weeks ago. It kinda sucks that it's going to use the CD tracklisting and not the original vinyl-only alternate tracklisting.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I just impulse-bought this record which I thought sounded pretty awesome. Since it was colored vinyl, I figured I should let you guys know.

http://sunbeamrd.bandcamp.com/releases

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I know this is an incredible reach - the longest long shot ever - but I don't care. If anyone ever catches wind of our sees a copy of Shiina Ringo's KARUKI ZAMEN KURI NO HANA (album cover is my avatar), please, please, please, please, please let me know.

I only have a small collection of vinyl at this point in time but I am slowly buying all of my sonically favorite albums. So far I haven't had trouble finding any other than this one Shiina Ringo record, because it came out almost a decade ago and was only briefly in print.

Maybe I've had a few too many drinks right now, but whatever, if anyone can ever help me get my hands on this you have no idea how happy I'd be.

Anyway, I just listened to Boris' Feedbacker on vinyl for the first time in a long time and jeebus christmas it sounds a lot richer than the FLAC CD rip I have, through the same monitors. The insane amounts of layered noise through parts 3 and 4 are so much more identifiable, and not so "digitally sharp" or whatever. My vocabulary is limited right now, it has largely been replaced by gin.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

eggsovereasy posted:

bwahaha. I've had to pay $15 shipping for a 7" before to Australia. I'd kill for $10 shipping from other countries.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Satorr posted:

Anyway, I just listened to Boris' Feedbacker on vinyl for the first time in a long time and jeebus christmas it sounds a lot richer than the FLAC CD rip I have, through the same monitors. The insane amounts of layered noise through parts 3 and 4 are so much more identifiable, and not so "digitally sharp" or whatever. My vocabulary is limited right now, it has largely been replaced by gin.

This is coming up my "have to buy soon" list pretty quick, it's a great album. I wish they'd have pressed Flood on vinyl too. Hopefully some day :(

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

My wife's boss used to be a punk rocker in the 80's so I asked him if he had any records. I went over to his house and found some gems.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Question for anyone who also frequents the Vinyl Collective boards, Google Chrome is telling me it contains malware. Is this true for other people going to it?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Hi there vinyl thread, long time no speak!

Last time you heard from me, I was looking for a turntable to play my collection on. I am pleased to announce that I can now join that snooty club of record listeners that look down upon the lowly record collectors :D It took longer than expected to acquire speakers and an amp, but I am all up and running now. Trouble is, some of my records are visibly rising up and down off the platter when I spin them. The records aren't visibly warped, and I have stored them upright, out of direct sunlight, away from damp etc etc. My new Godspeed You! Black Emperor vinyl which I just broke the seal on a few hours ago doesn't do this.

Please give help/advice.

PS Goddamn, this record sounds AMAZING.

E: Just put on Yellow & Green by Baroness which I bought new when it came out, not moving off the platter either. I think my Jane Doe vinyl and Electric Wizard single must be slightly warped. Woe is me. I hope my others aren't. Jane Doe is 2nd hand so kind of understandable/expected I guess. Do records warp a little over time anyway?

This is what Jane Doe looked like when played

E2: Just put Opeth's Royal Albert Hall performance on the turntable. Having had this box for 2 years, the records haven't warped at all and they are the oldest records I have. Guess Jane Doe was slightly warped when I bought it :/

nomapple fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 11, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

nomapple posted:

Last time you heard from me, I was looking for a turntable to play my collection on. I am pleased to announce that I can now join that snooty club of record listeners that look down upon the lowly record collectors :D It took longer than expected to acquire speakers and an amp, but I am all up and running now. Trouble is, some of my records are visibly rising up and down off the platter when I spin them. The records aren't visibly warped, and I have stored them upright, out of direct sunlight, away from damp etc etc. My new Godspeed You! Black Emperor vinyl which I just broke the seal on a few hours ago doesn't do this.

Please give help/advice.

E: Just put on Yellow & Green by Baroness which I bought new when it came out, not moving off the platter either. I think my Jane Doe vinyl and Electric Wizard single must be slightly warped. Woe is me. I hope my others aren't. Jane Doe is 2nd hand so kind of understandable/expected I guess. Do records warp a little over time anyway?

E2: Just put Opeth's Royal Albert Hall performance on the turntable. Having had this box for 2 years, the records haven't warped at all and they are the oldest records I have. Guess Jane Doe was slightly warped when I bought it :/

It is really crazy or just very slight? A lot of records will do this, as long as it doesn't affect the sound it's not a big deal. I'm guessing that your GY!BE doesn't do this is because it's 180 gram vinyl as many new records are. They're more resistant to warping. Plus they're records that haven't been sitting around for a few decades. So there's that. You might want to make sure your tracking force is set properly too. If it's too light the stylus will jump around on these slightly warped records.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Peacebone posted:

Question for anyone who also frequents the Vinyl Collective boards, Google Chrome is telling me it contains malware. Is this true for other people going to it?

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/index.php?/topic/81526-boards-messed-up/page__st__40#entry1336672

False positive, it's fine.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

nomapple posted:

Please give help/advice.

Do you have an automatic turntable with the arms that pop up and check if you have a 12" or 7" on the platter? Mine makes my records wobble like that because the arm mechanic is slightly raised.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
As long as the record is not warped enough that it brushes the platter when it spins, it shouldn't affect playability

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Thanks for the replies. The record sounds fine so I think it is OK, just me being paranoid! I don't have an automatic turntable, do I need to adjust the weight/anti-skating for 7's?

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Hey so I stumbled across popmarket.com which is kind if like the groupon of music. It's run by Sony and seems to be mostly deluxe boxsets and package deals with a focus on older artists but there is new stuff too. Lots of free shipping offers as well.

Anyone ever used this site? Some of these deals are pretty good:

Johnny Cash Live at Folsom and Live at San Quintin deluxe cd/dvd boxs for $22 each

Leonard Cohen pair of live 2xLPs for $40

Muse - Absolution, Black Holes + 2nd Law on vinyl for $47

There's a huge deal on the Miles Davis discography this week and the last month featured tons of metal and hard rock bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

Hey so I stumbled across popmarket.com which is kind if like the groupon of music. It's run by Sony and seems to be mostly deluxe boxsets and package deals with a focus on older artists but there is new stuff too. Lots of free shipping offers as well.

Anyone ever used this site? Some of these deals are pretty good:

Johnny Cash Live at Folsom and Live at San Quintin deluxe cd/dvd boxs for $22 each

Leonard Cohen pair of live 2xLPs for $40

Muse - Absolution, Black Holes + 2nd Law on vinyl for $47

There's a huge deal on the Miles Davis discography this week and the last month featured tons of metal and hard rock bands.

I've had nothing but good experiences with them. They somehow got my black keys bundle to a country town in Australia in the space of 3 and a half days.

They also have a sister site called metal wreckage which only deals with metal stuff