Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

screaden posted:

I've had nothing but good experiences with them. They somehow got my black keys bundle to a country town in Australia in the space of 3 and a half days.

They also have a sister site called metal wreckage which only deals with metal stuff

Just had a look on Metal Wreckage and it doesn't look like it's very active anymore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

nomapple posted:

Just had a look on Metal Wreckage and it doesn't look like it's very active anymore :(

What? They had a Clutch vinyl bundle and an awesome slayer bundle just last week. Maybe they update later than the popmarket site? They also only have daily deals as opposed to weekly ones as far as I can tell

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

screaden posted:

I've had nothing but good experiences with them. They somehow got my black keys bundle to a country town in Australia in the space of 3 and a half days.

Wow that is impressive, did that ship from the USA?

Did you get the free shipping option? Were there taxes/duties/customs?

Digging around the site, it appears there are lots of deals that are not listed anymore but are still available to purchase. I went through their past facebook and twitter updates and found a bunch of cool Johnny Cash packages I didn't see before. There are some deals exclusive to regional sites too. Try googling "popmarket + band name" as well.

Really wish I had known about the Foo Fighters complete discography (9 albums, 17 records total) for $150 when it was on.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Detective Thompson posted:

You never know what you'll find. I've found a few things I've been searching for that real record stores didn't have and for cheaper than a store would sell them for.

There's an antique mall fairly close to me which has a dealer who keeps a ton of records stocked, and brings new ones in all the time. The records are usually "on sale" every time I go in... in fact I can't recall a single time they weren't on sale for 50% off, even ones that just came in. I've gotten everything from Kate Bush to Peter Gabriel, Cat Stevens, etc. Nothing absolutely amazing, but some decent records show up there every know and then for around $5 each.

My best find was at a different antique mall though. I found the complete 3-LP set of George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" for $2 in a box of random records. The album's box was falling apart, but the sleeves with records were all there, scattered around in the box. I put all of them together and the owner agreed to sell the whole thing for $2 instead of the box price of "$2 'per record'".

My second best find was "Melt" for $1 at a flea market, along with Talking Heads' "77" for the same.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Found this one a few days before Halloween and played it for some friends as an interlude during our movie marathon and it was a total hit. I'm a HUGE fan of audio dramatizations and this sudden meeting of a new hobby (vinyl) and that particular obsession has me looking for more.

Also picked up Stevie Ray Vaughn 'Couldn't Stand the Weather' and GodDAMN I'd forgotten how good his cover of Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) sounds.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

screaden posted:

What? They had a Clutch vinyl bundle and an awesome slayer bundle just last week. Maybe they update later than the popmarket site? They also only have daily deals as opposed to weekly ones as far as I can tell

My bad, I thought that Slayer box was from aeons ago, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on that then!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
:siren: Anybody who still wants a Halloween 3 Silver Shamrock flexi disc better jump on it. Only 5 left.

http://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompany.com/shop/halloween-iii-season-of-the-witch-flexi-disc/

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

:siren: Anybody who still wants a Halloween 3 Silver Shamrock flexi disc better jump on it. Only 5 left.

http://www.deathwaltzrecordingcompany.com/shop/halloween-iii-season-of-the-witch-flexi-disc/

I genuinely regret not knowing about this. I could have annoyed so many people.

:siren:Eight more days till Halloween, Halloween. Eight more days till Halloween, Halloween. Silver Shamrock!:siren:

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

Wow that is impressive, did that ship from the USA?

Did you get the free shipping option? Were there taxes/duties/customs?

Yes, yes, no. I must have just got lucky and my order must have been filled just before they made a shipment.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

I genuinely regret not knowing about this. I could have annoyed so many people.

:siren:Eight more days till Halloween, Halloween. Eight more days till Halloween, Halloween. Silver Shamrock!:siren:

I was scared that my Black Moth Super Rainbow mask was going to be like that. That movie has scarred me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

loving finally, Popmarket actually, this worked out pretty well since I was in Asia for the month of October.

Don't know how I feel about the reissue cover on The Greatest.

EDIT: Since taking the plastic off, I'm kind of annoyed. I actually dig the new cover art, but the packaging feels so much cheaper and more sparse than the old shiny holo/foil one. I can't remember off the top of my head if the original was a gatefold, but this one isn't. It's just a thin sleeve. I know it's a PopMarket deal and I'm essentially getting the album for $13, but when this reissue is on Insound for ~$17 (and the record is 120 grams) and the 180 gram edition with the original packaging is for sale right next to it for about a buck-fifty more, I feel like a "gently caress you too, Matador" is in order- especially since all of the promo for the PopMarket deal featured the old cover.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 13, 2012

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

screaden posted:

Yes, yes, no. I must have just got lucky and my order must have been filled just before they made a shipment.

Well I pulled the trigger on my first purchase from them and ordered a Johnny Cash Bootlegs bundle. $50 buys me the first 3 bootleg cds (all double disc sets) the House of Cash hardcover book and a t-shirt with the Bootleg Vol 3 artwork. I found the deal through a post of Legacy Recordings facebook page from back on Cash's birthday and could not find it listed anywhere else.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

EDIT: Since taking the plastic off, I'm kind of annoyed. I actually dig the new cover art, but the packaging feels so much cheaper and more sparse than the old shiny holo/foil one. I can't remember off the top of my head if the original was a gatefold, but this one isn't. It's just a thin sleeve. I know it's a PopMarket deal and I'm essentially getting the album for $13, but when this reissue is on Insound for ~$17 (and the record is 120 grams) and the 180 gram edition with the original packaging is for sale right next to it for about a buck-fifty more, I feel like a "gently caress you too, Matador" is in order- especially since all of the promo for the PopMarket deal featured the old cover.

They're encouraging you to be collector scum and buy both.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Any goons in OK near a Guestroom Records? The Flaming Lips King Crimson album will be in stock at all 3 today -- if you get me one I will be glad to pay for your time.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

traveling midget posted:

Any goons in OK near a Guestroom Records? The Flaming Lips King Crimson album will be in stock at all 3 today -- if you get me one I will be glad to pay for your time.

I would be on this too.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Not a great price ($10 more than retail), but someone is selling some on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLAMING-LIP...=item3a7bb5ed8a

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

My copy is in the mail and I am nearly disconsolate with anticipation for it to show up; this whole cycle is one of my very favorite pieces of music from the last decade. I do have to admit that I'm a little worried about how it'll work when the pieces are split up over sides, but if stuff like E2-E4 or Music For 18 Musicians can work out when broken up then I shall reserve judgement.

And honestly, I doubt they're going to sell out for a while; according to Temporary Residence's site they've still got 571 left through their webshop alone. I'm guessing that when Pitchfork inevitably reviews the set a bunch of those will disappear, but in the interim between when I preordered it (the day after it was announced) and now they've "only" sold something like 300 copies, so they're not exactly flying off the shelves. (Of course, once they're all gone I have to believe that they'll turn into this generation's Well Tuned Piano since the overall piece's reputation will continue to grow over time.)

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Here is a Black Sabbath vinyl box that I wish I could afford.

I'm so happy with my turntable. I think the only non-vinyl thing I've listened to since acquiring is the new Deftones record!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

nomapple posted:

Here is a Black Sabbath vinyl box that I wish I could afford.

I'm so happy with my turntable. I think the only non-vinyl thing I've listened to since acquiring is the new Deftones record!

Box sets are almost always a ripoff. This is $285 US. That breaks down to 35 dollars an album. Rhino has reissued the first six albums on vinyl and they cost 17.99-19.99 (depending on where you get them, and yes they are remastered from the original tapes). And let's face it, who likes the last two albums anyway? So for about $120 US you can own good reissues of these these. I suppose if you wanted Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die so bad you could find them real cheap. I've never seen them marked higher than 5 bucks. Rhino may have done the last two, but I never looked into it because I honestly don't care.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

trdn89 posted:

The Disintegration Loops

I had never heard of this, I'm listening to the TR 9 minute "trailer" they've got for it and it's beautiful. That box set is seriously tempting, but then:

Temporary Residence posted:

United States Postal Service
Priority Mail International (Estimated Time: 6 - 10 business days) $79.60

:(
Guess I will just have to settle for CD on this one.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Well, Abbey Road finally came. Musicdirect hasn't shipped the White Album yet, so...

Anyway, so far, it sounds pretty good. A Beatles' record with some bass, it's something new for me.

Anyone with the original Abbey Road vinyl, can you answer this for me: did they band all the different sections on the medley? They didn't do it this time, but I could swear that they did back in 69. The problem is that I'm on a surgery prep and can't visit my mom to answer a record question.

And yes. I would visit my mother just to answer a question about a record. At least I'm visiting her. I'm not some deadbeat.

Well, as long as she has her records.

(Of course, I love my mother, what kind of sicko doesn't?)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Well, Abbey Road finally came. Musicdirect hasn't shipped the White Album yet, so...

Anyway, so far, it sounds pretty good. A Beatles' record with some bass, it's something new for me.

Anyone with the original Abbey Road vinyl, can you answer this for me: did they band all the different sections on the medley? They didn't do it this time, but I could swear that they did back in 69. The problem is that I'm on a surgery prep and can't visit my mom to answer a record question.

And yes. I would visit my mother just to answer a question about a record. At least I'm visiting her. I'm not some deadbeat.

Well, as long as she has her records.

(Of course, I love my mother, what kind of sicko doesn't?)

What do you mean? Are there breaks between the sections on the medley? Because that would be really lame. As far as I know, there is no previous version of the album that does this.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

david puddy posted:

I had never heard of this, I'm listening to the TR 9 minute "trailer" they've got for it and it's beautiful. That box set is seriously tempting, but then:

TR always has ridiculous pricing for shipping to the point where I either wait until my shop has it or some other distro does, or don't buy. I've never seen any other label charge so much.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

CPL593H posted:

What do you mean? Are there breaks between the sections on the medley? Because that would be really lame. As far as I know, there is no previous version of the album that does this.

He means there are visible breaks between the sections of the medley on the LP that do not result in audible breaks.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

CPL593H posted:

I just checked and they are definitely not present on my original (:pwn: Australian pressing PCSO-7088) copy.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
http://store.matadorrecords.com/new-releases/fade

The new Yo La Tengo album Fade is up for pre-order. There is a numbered deluxe edition printed on rainbow foil with a bonus 7".

Yo La Tengo have been ridiculously consistent over the years so I am looking forward to this.

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT

dflanny posted:

The new Yo La Tengo album Fade is up for pre-order. There is a numbered deluxe edition printed on rainbow foil with a bonus 7".

Yo La Tengo have been ridiculously consistent over the years so I am looking forward to this.

I ordered the deluxe edition as soon as I saw this pop up on their Twitter. I agree with you; every album is really good. I recently found I Can Feel The Heart Beating As One and I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your rear end at my local store and both were instant buys.

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

dflanny posted:

Thank you for posting this, Yo La Tengo is one of my favorite bands. I am going to two of the Hanukkah shows this year and looking forward to hearing some of their new songs.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I'm not too familiar with YLT, but I just want to say that $21 is incredibly reasonable for a deluxe LP. Looks like Matador's pricing is really reasonable across the board, actually. Good stuff.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Parachute Underwear posted:

TR always has ridiculous pricing for shipping to the point where I either wait until my shop has it or some other distro does, or don't buy. I've never seen any other label charge so much.

Well I live in Australia, so if a local distro ever DOES get it it'll be marked up shitloads to cover the cost of importing anyways. I think I will have to cave and get a copy next week after I get paid. I listened to a lot of the loops yesterday afternoon and it really is incredible, I don't want to think about it in 5 years or whatever and regret not buying it for $300 when the chance presented itself.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Wilbur Swain posted:

He means there are visible breaks between the sections of the medley on the LP that do not result in audible breaks.

Oh. I honestly never noticed because the vast majority of times I listen to a whole album at a time. I just checked my copies because of this thread and my 1980 Mo-Fi reissue doesn't have the spilts, but my Capitol pressing of unknown vintage (I'm guessing 70s/80s, but I'm way too lazy to actually look it up) has them. I guess it varies from pressing to pressing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I guess it's something Capitol did then. I mean, it takes a particularly sick individual to say "I want to listen to Polythene Pam, but I think I'll skip Mean Mr. Mustard."

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

david puddy posted:

I'm just curious over how they divided the loops in between records? While I love Basinski, as well as being a vinyl loser, I'm not really tempted to get this. Way too expensive and unsure as how the listening experience actually would improve.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
nobody is buying that to improve the listening experience

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
This thread is great for me, since I just started collecting records. I started out with a record player and a village people album my mother gave me for my birthday. Right now I can really only afford to buy stuff at secondhand stores and I found some fun/good stuff like "It's Raining Men" and "U Can't Touch this" singles.

Then I found a girl scouts set of two 78s that I thought was pretty awesome, titled "Our Songs, Songs Brownie Scouts Sing". All was well and good until halfway through the first side of the second record my record player stopped turning :(

I'm going to open it up tomorrow night, but we will see if it's easily fixed.

Though thank you thread, for reminding me that some modern bands still make vinyl.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

stay depressed posted:

nobody is buying that to improve the listening experience

Technically the remastered version of the whole cycle is used for both the CD and vinyl versions included with the set, but yeah this is true. The correct reason to buy this is because it is an awesome edition of an awesome piece of music.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nasgate posted:

This thread is great for me, since I just started collecting records. I started out with a record player and a village people album my mother gave me for my birthday. Right now I can really only afford to buy stuff at secondhand stores and I found some fun/good stuff like "It's Raining Men" and "U Can't Touch this" singles.

Then I found a girl scouts set of two 78s that I thought was pretty awesome, titled "Our Songs, Songs Brownie Scouts Sing". All was well and good until halfway through the first side of the second record my record player stopped turning :(

I'm going to open it up tomorrow night, but we will see if it's easily fixed.

Though thank you thread, for reminding me that some modern bands still make vinyl.

Even if your turntable has a 78 speed you may want to avoid playing 78 RPM records on it. I believe those require a special type of stylus. You can damage your typical stylus trying to play 78s.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Correct, some players had flip-overs though.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Castle Face Records and Friends - The Velvet Underground and Nico

A full cover of the original album by Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall, White Fence, The Fresh & Onlys, etc.

It's a nice little companion to that King Crimson cover album that I love that came out a few weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I hope in 30 years we still have records and people just obsess over a Dave Matthews album instead of Velvet Underground. That would be awesome.