Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

JehovahsWetness posted:

...and now I'm looking for it, too. See you in the ring, chump.

Farts Domino posted:

hahaha I was kind of thinking the same but that's not what I need right now

Right? Its a great track.

The guy who uploaded it has a couple of websites of old stuff but he has sold that particular record. Lots of other Malay, Chinese, Indian, Indo, etc though:

http://lvlalaysiaboleh.ecrater.com/

http://malaysiaboleh.mybisi.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Probably depends a lot on the kind of music one listens to.

There is absolutely no loving excuse for Minus The Bear to pull that poo poo with Planet of Ice though. It's really annoying.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Found Tar's debut "Roundhouse" in a bin, $3. Pretty neat. My go-to store is having an on/off sale on all physical media just to try and move it all, it's pretty great. It's all this one dudes personal collection mostly, and he has got to have over 10,000 records easily.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How can one not care about the track listings? It's the way the album is meant to flow. I guess if all your care about is singles and poo poo, than yeah but man, track listing and flow is super imporant.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
I started collecting vinyl maybe 5-6 years ago when I found my dad's old turntable in the garage, along with a bunch of his classic rock. I was pretty much immediately hooked. To this day the Moody Blues' "The Present" is still one of my favorite albums. Then, a few months after I found it, the stylus on the turntable broke. And me being a broke-rear end college student at the time, never replaced it. I kept buying vinyl though. I'd see a cool album in a record store and I'd buy it, even though I had nothing to listen to it on.

My collection isn't super impressive, but I thought I'd share a particularly awesome part of it. Just today the final piece of my Gorillaz collection came in. Gorillaz is my favorite band, and I've been a fan of "them" ever since that fateful summer day back in 2001 when I happened to catch the music video for "Clint Eastwood" on tv after an afternoon of paintball.

So awhile back I decided to try to collect every Gorillaz album/single/whatever released on vinyl. Just because. If it was Gorillaz and had an "official" release on vinyl (meaning promos didn't count), I was going to get it.

So here it is. Nothing in this collection is particularly rare or hard to get, but I'm still pretty jazzed about having all of them.

The jewel of this collection would have to be the 7" picture disc single of "Feel Good Inc." Only 300 were made. "Demon Days" is in higher demand, and sells for at least 5x as much, but this one is my favorite.

I haven't decided how much, if at all, I want to delve into the promos. As you might imagine, a band like Gorillaz gets remixed A LOT. "Clint Eastwood" has something like 15 different versions, spread across like 6-7 different promo records. And that's just one song. Don't know if I'm quite obsessed enough to go for the whole promo set. For the moment I'm happy with what I've got.

And in other good news, I recently bought a new turntable so I can actually listen to all my vinyl now. :)

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
^^^ Awesome.

Vintersorg posted:

How can one not care about the track listings? It's the way the album is meant to flow. I guess if all your care about is singles and poo poo, than yeah but man, track listing and flow is super imporant.

Totally. Part of the reason I got into vinyl is because I love sitting down and listening to an album start to finish. If I've heard an album, and then hear it again with the tracks mixed up, it just sounds weird.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I wish I'd known what a hot item Demon Days was going to be a few years back. I used to see multiple copies of that loving album everywhere.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism

CPL593H posted:

(stuff)

Jerry Cotton posted:

(more stuff)

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the layman's breakdown. I'm looking at this phono pre-amp, and wondering if I can connect one of these to the pre-amp's RCA output, plug my headphones' 1/8" audio input to that, and be set.

The pre-amp's description says it outputs a line-level signal - does that mean there's no need for an amplifier?

I'd be willing to look at a more comprehensive setup down the line, but for now I'm looking to just listen to records through the headphones I already have.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Back_From_Termina posted:

I've got a question. Why the hell do some of my 2-record albums have sides 1 and 4 on one record, and sides 2 and 3 on the other? What kind of sense does that make? Why the hell do I need to switch records twice instead of just once? :argh:

(I'm not actually that angry about it. It's just a minor irritation, but I am curious about it.)

It's for turntables that have auto-drop spindles, so you can just put the two records on the spindle, then only have to get up to flip them once.

h3xis posted:

I'm not sure if all of these contain this, but this has the Warp catalog number and mastering engineer's name hand-etched in the inside.

You should get in the habit of checking the deadwax when you get a record. Lots of them have messages and stuff.

CPL593H posted:

I wish I'd known what a hot item Demon Days was going to be a few years back. I used to see multiple copies of that loving album everywhere.

I bought mine from a Hot Topic for like $12. I wish I had gotten another copy, since mine is really beat up now... it was one of my first records ever.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I got mine on ebay for like $18 in 2007 or so. Probably gonna sell it, since I'm not a huge fan of it anymore

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Musicians creating albums instead of songs as a norm is something that has lead to 75% of most published music being unlistenable tat. There are still a lot of bands that make, you know, songs - possibly released as singles - and when they have enough, they can be compiled to make an album. This is especially true for acts that don't write (all of) their own music. (This is another development I'm not too keen on - the whole concept of 'covers' is ludicrous: it's fairly obvious there are a shitload of great musicians who aren't great songwriters and they don't need to be.)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Musicians creating albums instead of songs as a norm is something that has lead to 75% of most published music being unlistenable tat.

You don't think this has anything to do with the sheer volume of bands who just plain suck? Or the fact that there's just an awful lot of bland, unchallenging, lowest common demoninator crap floating around. Especially as those are the type of acts that most often get signed to major labels. I really reject the idea that albums as a whole are a few good singles and mostly fluff. Obviously that is the case with lots of stuff, but then that's a matter of having the taste to steer around the artists who put out that kind of junk. I've always considered people whose music collections consist of "best of" collections and radio tracks to be people who aren't serious about music. I'm not making that claim against you. But a lot of the times when I hear that kind of talk about albums or see the lack of willingness to explore them, it's from people who aren't really music fans so much as they are music consumers. This is also why I think the way most people buy music now trivializes it. Imagine going to a concert and the only songs they play are the ones that are always on the radio.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Seeing the album as the primary format for music is extremely off-base and not to mention rockist.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 4, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Maybe it has something to do with seeing the album as the "primary format" for music which is extremely off-base and not to mention rockist.

You do have a point. I'm seeing it from that perspective because I pretty much only listen to various rock based styles of music. There's nothing wrong with other formats. What I was trying to say there is that I hold the album format in high regard when the band has chosen that as the medium. I rarely take out an album to hear a track or two. I play the whole thing. When the band's taken the time to assemble an album and create the overall theme of it, I think that's how it should be heard. That's not to say lots of bands don't have a bunch of fluff on their album but I think it's extreme to say that almost all albums are just a few good songs and then mostly filler.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
It's absurd to assume that level of depth for every artist that releases music on albums. Holding the album format in high regard just means you like to have all the songs on one thing at once instead of spread over singles. Holding the "concept album" format in high regard lines up more with what you've described. You like albums that come together to form a whole and tell a story where the tracks link together and the artist spent hours assembling the tracklist. That's great, but that's not what an album is or should be required to be.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 4, 2011

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

JehovahsWetness posted:

It's for the period when stacking/changer players were the norm. Disc 1/4 on the bottom, disc 2/3 on the top. Bottom disc drops, plays, top disc drops, plays. Then you'd just flip the whole stack over and side 3 would be the bottom disc. So you'd hear all 4 sides and only have to flip the records once.

Surfingelectrode posted:

It's for turntables that have auto-drop spindles, so you can just put the two records on the spindle, then only have to get up to flip them once.

It's like everyone just ignored these two posts just to go on a rant about track listings. Listen to these people.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Ron Burgundy posted:

It's like everyone just ignored these two posts just to go on a rant about track listings. Listen to these people.

That's not relevant to what's being discussed. :confused:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

But a lot of the times when I hear that kind of talk about albums or see the lack of willingness to explore them, it's from people who aren't really music fans so much as they are music consumers.

That's funny because I see this as exactly the opposite. People who are music consumers likely listen to albums because that is the format that is being spoon-fed to them (well, actually, they don't any more since they listen to Spotify and MP3s, but they used to) whereas people who just like music listen to music.

By the way, one example of a genre (whatever that means) where the album as anything more than a unit of sales has fortunately not been largely adopted is rock'n'roll (I use this term in a very broad sense here). This is also the genre where I find there is the least emphasis on the provenance of a song; a lot of the bands do 'original' and 'cover' songs pretty much 50/60. This is because rock'n'roll is kickass. Baseballs not necessarily included.

Not that there aren't a bunch of great rock'n'roll concept albums as well.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
I find that the album format generally works better for some genres than it does for others. Dance music, for example, relies mostly on singles rather than entire albums, and hence dance albums aren't usually that cohesive. In my experience they aren't easy to listen to all the way through without getting burnt out unless the artist has a good understanding of album flow - and even then there's bound to be at least a few duds (ie. that obnoxious Yuffie rap song on the first Justice album). Most of the time the dancefloor demolishers that you bought the album for are sandwiched between meandering "intros" and overproduced synth farts that never really go anywhere. To say that other genres aren't also guilty of this would be dumb, though.

Oh and we're having a 30% off sale on our overstock this week, so grab some mint copies of cool stuff for mad cheap here.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

everybody's ranting about track listings
eh, it's a topic w/traction because you can't skip a vinyl album easily. So, concept albums fit b/c even weak tracks work with the flow of an album.

Maybe it comes down to what fits your collection:
Only albums solid start to finish? Stuff where the bad songs are mundane enough to gloss over? Or anything with even 1 song you like and treat it like a 45?

Lately I've been tossing anything that doesn't have at least 1 solid side. There's tons of good music out there & I can't be arsed to play DJ.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Asides from the vinyl aspect of it, I can't possibly be arsed to sit and listen to all of every song on an album. I like most popular music from every country from the 20s on, so flitting along is the only way to cover ground as far as I can tell.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

New VHS Head 12", Midnight Section, limited to 300 copies is pre-ordering now. Yay!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Got a copy of the Erotic City bootleg of Prince's Black album. The outer sleeve isn't in great condition, but the vinyl itself doesn't have a scratch. Picked it up in a lot with two other Prince albums and a maxi-single, all of it for $4.

Pretty happy about it.

Machinegun Arm!
Oct 22, 2008

It's been a ruff day
Hey, I'm just getting into vinyl and am looking to upgrade the very lovely free record player I've been using for the past couple of months. I don't have a ton of money to spend on this hobby (mistake #1 I guess) so I was looking into this thing: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_4

Any opinions on that as a starter? I'm all set on a receiver and speakers already, but I don't know if I should be nervous about a built-in preamp or not. Any beginner's advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Darthemed posted:

Got a copy of the Erotic City bootleg of Prince's Black album. The outer sleeve isn't in great condition, but the vinyl itself doesn't have a scratch. Picked it up in a lot with two other Prince albums and a maxi-single, all of it for $4.

Pretty happy about it.

That's the only one missing from my 80s Prince LP collection. Nice score

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Machinegun Arm! posted:

Hey, I'm just getting into vinyl and am looking to upgrade the very lovely free record player I've been using for the past couple of months. I don't have a ton of money to spend on this hobby (mistake #1 I guess) so I was looking into this thing: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_4

Any opinions on that as a starter? I'm all set on a receiver and speakers already, but I don't know if I should be nervous about a built-in preamp or not. Any beginner's advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

You shouldn't be too nervous about the built-in pre-amp but to put it bluntly it's a piece of poo poo record player and 70 $ for it is a total rip-off. There's also no way to improve it at all since the cartridge is integrated. EDIT: I'm not saying there's no way it could work for you but at some point you will realize "well poo poo, I've bought a real piece of poo poo record player".

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 5, 2011

Machinegun Arm!
Oct 22, 2008

It's been a ruff day

Jerry Cotton posted:

You shouldn't be too nervous about the built-in pre-amp but to put it bluntly it's a piece of poo poo record player and 70 $ for it is a total rip-off. There's also no way to improve it at all since the cartridge is integrated. EDIT: I'm not saying there's no way it could work for you but at some point you will realize "well poo poo, I've bought a real piece of poo poo record player".

Ok, so is there anything you would recommend instead? I'm really trying to keep under $100 here, which I understand is going to severely limit my quality, but grad school is, sadly, severely limiting my cashflow. And in the meantime I have all these records I want to listen to!

I've thought about buying used through eBay, but two problems come up. The first is that I really don't know poo poo about record players, so I doubt my ability to pick which listing is worth my cash. The second is that every piece of electronics I've bought from eBay turned out to be broken, incorrectly identified, or both and had to be returned.

I'd rather buy used locally, but so far I've been unable to find a market in which to do so.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Machinegun Arm! posted:

Ok, so is there anything you would recommend instead? I'm really trying to keep under $100 here, which I understand is going to severely limit my quality, but grad school is, sadly, severely limiting my cashflow. And in the meantime I have all these records I want to listen to!

I've thought about buying used through eBay, but two problems come up. The first is that I really don't know poo poo about record players, so I doubt my ability to pick which listing is worth my cash. The second is that every piece of electronics I've bought from eBay turned out to be broken, incorrectly identified, or both and had to be returned.

I'd rather buy used locally, but so far I've been unable to find a market in which to do so.
Where do you live? Going for a vintage cheap player is definitely better. You'd be surprised how well you might do if you go on Craigslist and search for turntable in the garage sales category on a Saturday

I've seen this recommended before, I've never actually seen it in person though so this is a pretty weak vouch. http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLTTB1-Professional-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00009V3TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317846424&sr=8-1

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

I've had luck with kijiji / craigslist for used record players - local demoing, low pricing, and you can take it home with you. If you're going home to see the parents or relatives, check the kijiji/craigslist for those places before you go, too.

Another good place to check is pawn shops, same deal as above, little more $$$.

If you wanna get good quality for under a hundred, you gotta do your research and be prepared to wait.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Farts Domino posted:

Where do you live? Going for a vintage cheap player is definitely better. You'd be surprised how well you might do if you go on Craigslist and search for turntable in the garage sales category on a Saturday

I've seen this recommended before, I've never actually seen it in person though so this is a pretty weak vouch. http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLTTB1-Professional-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00009V3TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317846424&sr=8-1

It has a plastic turntable platter.

Judging just by the looks I'd rather get the AT than that. If you want to go sub-100$ Technics SL-1200 Mark II look-a-like you might as well get an American Audio.

Machinegun Arm!
Oct 22, 2008

It's been a ruff day

Farts Domino posted:

Where do you live?

I just moved to Boulder, Colorado, if that helps.

And as I said above, I'm definitely interested in buying used locally, I just have no loving idea what I'm looking for. Is there a good website I could research this sort of thing on, or any brands/specific models I should keep my eyes peeled for?

Edit: Any opinions on this? http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/2633113472.html

Machinegun Arm! fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 5, 2011

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
:toot:
Has anyone ever had good or bad luck buying packages of vinyl off eBay (IE 100 45s for $20, etc)? I realize digging is digging and it's always random in terms of the music selection, I mean with people getting screwed over on quality, damage in shipping, etc.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

Technics are going to be the most common, most rugged used tables.
This link is a really handy spreadsheet showing technical data on almost every Technics TT produced, including initial selling price, which should help you work out what kind of machine someone's offering.

if it ain't a technics, type the name of the deck and ' site:audiokarma.org ' into google and get learned. happy hunting.

Machinegun Arm!
Oct 22, 2008

It's been a ruff day

milk teeth posted:

Technics are going to be the most common, most rugged used tables.
This link is a really handy spreadsheet showing technical data on almost every Technics TT produced, including initial selling price, which should help you work out what kind of machine someone's offering.

if it ain't a technics, type the name of the deck and ' site:audiokarma.org ' into google and get learned. happy hunting.

Perfect, this is exactly the sort of info I was looking for. Thanks!

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

milk teeth posted:

good advice. Audiokarma's recs will probably land more on the side of good than "good enough" but most decent turntables will have been talked about at some point on that site

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Machinegun Arm! posted:

Edit: Any opinions on this? http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/2633113472.html
Wow, you have like 4 times the amount of turntables floating around on Craigslist than I do but all for much more than they would be here

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A lot of record stores sell used vintage turntables for under 100. This is probably going to be your best bet. The trick is finding one such store.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Today I came across a 12" promo copy of the Love for Sale single by Talking Heads. I was going to buy it but the guy who had it said it was rare or something and wanted 30 bucks. Anyone know if that's true? I'm having a hard time finding anything out about it online. If I discover that it's not valuable the guy will sell it to me for a reasonable price.

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

But all I get is bitter and a nasty little rash
Here's the discogs entry - http://www.discogs.com/Talking-Heads-Love-For-Sale/master/39418

(it's probably not worth $30)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mr. Stepmom posted:

Here's the discogs entry - http://www.discogs.com/Talking-Heads-Love-For-Sale/master/39418

(it's probably not worth $30)

Yeah I did manage to find some information on it. I didn't assume it was valuable, but you never know. The guy who has it isn't a record dealer he just occasionally has records. What I think he does is he'll half assedly google something or look it up on ebay if he comes across something that isn't entirely run of the mill and bases his idea of its worth on that. I found one guy online selling it for 50 bucks, but I also found several selling it for 3-8 dollars.

Oddly enough this discogs entry doesn't have the martix number form the promo copy (which this is), but I was able to find that elsewhere.