Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

i am a bee posted:

Do the record stores you guys visit normally let you see the records first or is that an assholish thing to ask? I'm shifting to mainly buying new/reissues, but I've bought a couple of things pre-owned (Echoes by the Rapture, Q:Are We Not Men, A: We Are Devo and Purple Rain) that have a couple of minor skips I can live with but I'd rather not have every used record I buy be a compromise. Is that just the nature of the game? The guy at the store is nice and gives discount, but I've been a little unlucky.

The place I go to lets you listen to poo poo on 2-3 TTs they have set up, but they don't allow you to play any of the $.50 stuff because they know it's old and likely to skip. I'm sure he won't mind if you ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

i am a bee posted:

Do the record stores you guys visit normally let you see the records first or is that an assholish thing to ask? I'm shifting to mainly buying new/reissues, but I've bought a couple of things pre-owned (Echoes by the Rapture, Q:Are We Not Men, A: We Are Devo and Purple Rain) that have a couple of minor skips I can live with but I'd rather not have every used record I buy be a compromise. Is that just the nature of the game? The guy at the store is nice and gives discount, but I've been a little unlucky.

It depends on the spot, and this is why I don't really like Amoeba all that much. They keep everything sealed up, and you can needle-drop anything in the store! Other spots (Rooky's in SF for example) have a ton of listening stations, and you can listen to pretty much anything. Still other places (Recycled in SF) don't have stations, but will needle-drop stuff for you if you ask.

I prefer being able to listen, so I can gamble on stuff I don't know, or check condition. Stop going to Amoeba you guys! Support the little guys, or Amoeba and Rasputin will be like Starbucks one day

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

i am a bee posted:

Do you have anything to clean records or have you already tried cleaning them?

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

JohnnyMondo posted:

It depends on the spot, and this is why I don't really like Amoeba all that much. They keep everything sealed up, and you can needle-drop anything in the store! Other spots (Rooky's in SF for example) have a ton of listening stations, and you can listen to pretty much anything. Still other places (Recycled in SF) don't have stations, but will needle-drop stuff for you if you ask.

This is generally true for any smaller record shop (I can only speak for Denver and SF). Probably won't happen at a large chain that sells records but any musty, aging awesome record store should let you. If they don't have a turntable actively out for previewing, you can get them to play it on the PA.

Wax Trax in Denver would even remove shrink-wrapped records and play them for you, and re-seal them if you didn't want it :allears:

i am a bee
Apr 17, 2006
bees, bees, bees, just lookin' for a good time

stay depressed posted:

Do you have anything to clean records or have you already tried cleaning them?

I only just got my cleaning kit through the mail (along with the first Suicide album, hell yeah!). The Devo album's a little better but I haven't had a chance to try the Prince or Rapture stuff since cleaning it yet.

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

my vynil

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

im the seven pieces of obsolite band hope of the states

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

i am a bee posted:

Most places I've been to let you look at the disc before you buy it and will even play it for you to make sure they don't skip.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I really don't understand what everyone is doing to have so many skips. I have about 2-3000 records, some in appalling condition and I've had maybe 3 that skipped. All of them were fixed by waiting for the skip then stopping the motor and running the record backwards through the blockage. I've heard a loupe and x-acto accomplishes the same feat, but I've never had the need.

E: An interesting phenomenon I've noticed. I bought a bulk lot of 78's a while back that were absolutely trashed, some were actually scratched so deep you could see the filler in the core, but I've never had a 78 that wouldn't play the whole way through. Maybe it's the regular width grooves or the speed, but a microgroove in the same condition would never play, has anyone else experienced this?

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 7, 2012

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

fozzie dunlop posted:

Feedbacker has a locked groove? I guess the pressing I have doesn't :sigh:

Godspeed's f#a#oo has a locked groove on the B-side as well.

Just the original Japanese pressing, not the reissue.

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

f# a# ∞ is pretty cool. the first side of the record starts in f# the second side starts in a# and it ends in ∞

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006
My pal the tortoise, fast does he go?

Ron Burgundy posted:

E: An interesting phenomenon I've noticed. I bought a bulk lot of 78's a while back that were absolutely trashed, some were actually scratched so deep you could see the filler in the core, but I've never had a 78 that wouldn't play the whole way through. Maybe it's the regular width grooves or the speed, but a microgroove in the same condition would never play, has anyone else experienced this?

Definitely. I think it must be a combination of groove width and speed, and possibly the materials the records are made from. I once made the mistake of dropping a particularly rare r&b 78, causing it to break in half. I ended up putting it back together, and repairing it with packing tape on the B-side. Plays just fine without skips, or even much of a noise when the stylus reaches the mended areas of the record.

EDIT: Of course, the B-side doesn't play anymore, but it was never very good to begin with.

Funeral Pudding fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 7, 2012

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Funeral Pudding posted:

Definitely. I think it must be a combination of groove width and speed, and possibly the materials the records are made from. I once made the mistake of dropping a particularly rare r&b 78, causing it to break in half. I ended up putting it back together, and repairing it with packing tape on the B-side. Plays just fine without skips, or even much of a noise when the stylus reaches the mended areas of the record.

EDIT: Of course, the B-side doesn't play anymore, but it was never very good to begin with.

Yes, even cracked ones! They were very resilient. Here's a record that I have that should really be tossed, but I just like the song too much to ditch it. It's a good tester on unknown wind ups.

Click for giant.

And the song itself. The record is totally hosed, but it plays start to finish!
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bbaddt5/TMAS.mp3

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've picked up so many albums over the holidays, but when I have an hour to just listen to, I just go back to Paul's Boutique.

gently caress that is a good album

Crumbles
Mar 25, 2010
So, I've determined that my computer's line-ins are the source of my clipping when listening to vinyl. The only thing I can think of is that the line-ins are unbalanced at -10dBV line level, and perhaps the preamp is outputting at +4dBu line level. Is this something that could remedied by putting a DIY voltage divider in between the preamp and my computer, or am I misunderstanding this line level stuff?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I got Beck's "The Information" Deluxe from Artist in Residence, and I was quite surprised that considering how long it's been out, mine is 0175/1000. Editioned releases like this usually give lower numbers first, right? The price did go from $275, then $175, and now currently $95 (+30 shipping). Are not many people buying it? It's now in the Beck store for more than twice the price on Artist in Residence.

Really nice set. About the width of about 15 regular LP sleeves... Only problem is the part on the front that you wrap the string around; I don't want that messing up my Sea Change.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Fors Yard posted:

I got Beck's "The Information" Deluxe from Artist in Residence, and I was quite surprised that considering how long it's been out, mine is 0175/1000. Editioned releases like this usually give lower numbers first, right? The price did go from $275, then $175, and now currently $95 (+30 shipping). Are not many people buying it? It's now in the Beck store for more than twice the price on Artist in Residence.

Really nice set. About the width of about 15 regular LP sleeves... Only problem is the part on the front that you wrap the string around; I don't want that messing up my Sea Change.

The thing I've noticed about vinyl box sets is that more often than not the price becomes a deterrent for a lot of people.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/172575/vinyl-sales-jumped-39-percent-in-2011-music-industry-not-quite-dead/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm assuming that's just new records, anyway. I've certainly seen an increase in hipsters digging through flea market record boxes in the past year or so.

(Message to record-buying hipsters: If you're a grown man in little girls' jeans, you shouldn't crouch in public, god drat! Message to people who sell records: Don't put the boxes on the lowest shelves because of the above!)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

What worries me about this is when the sales from bandwagon hoppers dry up. It's probably a safe assumption to say a lot of this surge is because of people who just view the format as a novelty and as such they don't really ever invest in it. It makes me concerned that once those people tire of the whole thing the record companies will stop making vinyl LPs once again. Although I suppose one could point out that the surge in sales is obviously due to vinyl records being more widely available than they have been in a long time.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 7, 2012

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Got me some records.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish Remastered
The Radioheads - The Bends
Battles - Mirrored
Mogwai - Special Moves

I've never really listened to The Smashing Pumpkins, but knowing how big of a fan my mom is of Billy Corgan, I thought I'd give Gish a try. I need to give it some more listens to really get a solid feel of what I think. The Bends and Special Moves are personal favorite albums while Mirrored was purchased because of how much I loved Gloss Drop. Mirrored is a bit weirder and not as fun, I think. It's a whole lot experimental, but I think over all, it's not as good as Gloss Drop.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
While good, Gish isn't the premiere SP release, it's the following one, Siamese Dream. I think they remastered that one too.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

CPL593H posted:

What worries me about this is when the sales from bandwagon hoppers dry up. It's probably a safe assumption to say a lot of this surge is because of people who just view the format as a novelty and as such they don't really ever invest in it. It makes me concerned that once those people tire of the whole thing the record companies will stop making vinyl LPs once again. Although I suppose one could point out that the surge in sales is obviously due to vinyl records being more widely available than they have been in a long time.

I handle web sales (Amazon/eBay) for a local record store and it's mostly the same dozen predictable records that we sell online. Popular indie rock (She & Him, Postal Service, Fleet Foxes, My Morning Jacket), pop (Adele, Florence & the Machine, etc.), evergreen reissues (Bob Dylan mostly) and things I assume people are surprised to discover are affordably available on vinyl (Tool). It's nice to see an uptick in overall sales, but like any other format or previous time in vinyl's history, I assume just a handful of artists are dominating the numbers.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

CPL593H posted:

I don't think the increase in vinyl popularity won't be going away. I think with music being so portable now, it's natural for music lovers seek format that can offer greater tangibility and fidelity.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

theradiostillsucks posted:

I handle web sales (Amazon/eBay) for a local record store and it's mostly the same dozen predictable records that we sell online. Popular indie rock (She & Him, Postal Service, Fleet Foxes, My Morning Jacket), pop (Adele, Florence & the Machine, etc.), evergreen reissues (Bob Dylan mostly) and things I assume people are surprised to discover are affordably available on vinyl (Tool). It's nice to see an uptick in overall sales, but like any other format or previous time in vinyl's history, I assume just a handful of artists are dominating the numbers.

Please tell me what site that is so I can get some affordable Tool.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I too am posting to find affordable Tool....and maybe a florence and the machines album(I hate most female pop, but damnit I love florence + the machines.)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Crimson Sox posted:

I don't think the increase in vinyl popularity won't be going away. I think with music being so portable now, it's natural for music lovers seek format that can offer greater tangibility and fidelity.
Vinyl does not offer greater fidelity, by any meaningful objective measure.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

CPL593H posted:

The uptick in sales is certainly due in part to how much more available vinyl is than how it was in the 90s, where flea markets were often all most people had. It's also become more of a trendy thing, as audiophiles everywhere continue to extol the "warmth" of the format and club DJs prove that analog has the best sound on the dance floor. There will always be a market for vinyl, although it will certainly be much smaller than digital formats. A lot of people we deal with at Insound, however, view vinyl more as a thing to collect and invest in and sell on eBay twenty-odd years down the line, like Pokemon cards or something. There's lots of folks out there who buy tons of vinyl that they never even listen to or even let out of the shrinkwrap. A lot of them don't even have turntables! So whether consumers are chasing the purity of analog sound or they just want to squirrel these wonderful records away and never listen to them ever (llloooosssseeeerrrrrssss), there's no doubt that there'll always be someone who wants to buy vinyl, and there'll always be a good number of labels catering to them. The format's refused to die for over a hundred years, and it won't be going the way of Betamax anytime soon.

And here's my obligatory Insound pimping. We got some pretty affordable Tool (except for that Lateralus pic disc), and some Florence as well:
http://www.insound.com/search/?query=tool
http://www.insound.com/search/?query=florence+machine

Oh and our 2011 staff picks are 11% off for the next few days.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Socket Ryanist posted:

Vinyl does not offer greater fidelity, by any meaningful objective measure.

The vinyl releases for albums are almost always better mastered than their digital counterparts. Call me crazy, but I'd say audio mastering is pretty meaningful when discussing recorded music.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

CPL593H posted:

The vinyl releases for albums are almost always better mastered than their digital counterparts. Call me crazy, but I'd say audio mastering is pretty meaningful when discussing recorded music.

It's a big expense to remaster for a marginal format. Aside from minimal modification of the signal to ensure the thing tracks properly and the groove doesn't phase out of existence, I wouldn't be surprised if many mastering houses are cutting from a retail CD.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

It's a big expense to remaster for a marginal format. Aside from minimal modification of the signal to ensure the thing tracks properly and the groove doesn't phase out of existence, I wouldn't be surprised if many mastering houses are cutting from a retail CD.

This is all a matter of knowing what you're buying. There's plenty of reissue labels that do analog remasters.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Lateralus on picture disc is still in print (around $30, about average for a major label double LP), as is Opiate (for around $10 if I'm remembering correctly), and I'm pretty sure there's one other one in print as well, though I've never really listened to them and don't know the name. There should be multiple sellers on the Amazon marketplace with them.

The "people buying vinyl who never open or listen to it" is supposedly a thing, though I don't really know anyone personally who does that (save for a coworker who successfully played the "black metal stock market" a few years ago to modest returns on the side). Some of the head honchos of labels at music industry trade conventions expressed surprise to the same coworker that people actually listen to their records; one of whose label (Metal Blade) puts out low-effort, lovely picture discs most of the time, seemingly targeting some of those people. Dio's widow is doing this as well with her label Niji entertainment, though all of their vinyl releases are indie exclusives and to some extent this benefits independent record stores. Still, $30 for Dio's pre-Rainbow and 2000's output is steep no matter how limited, and I would consider myself a Dio fan.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I know 5 or so hipsters who only buy vinyl to display on Ikea shelves. They only listen to iTunes downloaded music. I asked if they wanted help setting up a turntable and they laughed at me.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

alg posted:

I know 5 or so hipsters who only buy vinyl to display on Ikea shelves. They only listen to iTunes downloaded music. I asked if they wanted help setting up a turntable and they laughed at me.

The possibility that people like this might exist blows my loving mind.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

alg posted:

If I ever met such a person it would be awfully difficult to resist the urge to projectile vomit in their face. There's plenty that's stupid about that, but first off, why the gently caress would you waste so much money like that?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I can understand the hate, but come on. Is wanting a nice big copy of your favorite album's cover art displayed on your wall really such a crime?

My first vinyl purchase was a vintage copy of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures. That's a pretty hipster purchase (even though this was way before it became a 'thing' but regardless) and the reason I bought it was because vinyl, more than a cassette or cd, made me feel like I owned the music. Because of the size and the feel of it.

A couple of days later I bought an actual record player, but I can totally see people collecting records without the craving for audio fidelity.

Also, at least they're contributing to vinyl sales v :shobon: v

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I can understand the hate, but come on. Is wanting a nice big copy of your favorite album's cover art displayed on your wall really such a crime?

My first vinyl purchase was a vintage copy of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures. That's a pretty hipster purchase (even though this was way before it became a 'thing' but regardless) and the reason I bought it was because vinyl, more than a cassette or cd, made me feel like I owned the music. Because of the size and the feel of it.

A couple of days later I bought an actual record player, but I can totally see people collecting records without the craving for audio fidelity.

Also, at least they're contributing to vinyl sales v :shobon: v

There's a pretty big difference between paying a few bucks to hang up an old Sgt. Pepper sleeve and pissing away hundreds or even thousands of dollars to have some kind of weird street cred status symbol. Plus there's something that just bothers me about people who hoard records with the explicit intention of never playing them.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
My dad came by yesterday and dropped off his two old record players, one Dual and one Thorens, with a promise that I can have his entire record collection if I want :woop:

None of the players work (i.e. spin) as far as I can tell. Dad recommended I get them serviced at the hi-fi store in town, but is there anything I can check myself first? The store option sounds like it might get expensive.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

My dad came by yesterday and dropped off his two old record players, one Dual and one Thorens, with a promise that I can have his entire record collection if I want :woop:

None of the players work (i.e. spin) as far as I can tell. Dad recommended I get them serviced at the hi-fi store in town, but is there anything I can check myself first? The store option sounds like it might get expensive.

They probably just need new drive belts. What models are they? Thorens and Dual are two good makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Can anyone link something cheap ($20-30)I can buy from Wal-mart that will hold my new collection of 12 inch lps? I have maybe 6 right now (the number is growing day by day), but I intend on keeping them in the best quality possible.