Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Rainy day purchase...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

alg posted:

Yeah, their site crashed initially. Took them about 40 mins to get it back up, then I went in and got mine pretty easily. Sorry you missed it :(

edit: http://infinitycat.com/wordpress/archives/1336 looks like they will have black ones up next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7jJHSS2UZs#t=02m17s

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Anyone know where I could purchase Ahab's Call of the Wretched Sea for a reasonable price? Or am I out of luck?

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

I saw the Cocteau Twins Box Set 1 at my local shop for a good price so I traded in my Head Over Heels/Sunburst and Snowblind split toward it (same release was inside). But there's also a release of simply Head Over Heels inside the set, too. Am I to believe they included duplicate albums inside the set? Or am I missing something?

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

There's an amazing record shop in Evanston, IL that I love going to because not only do they have bins full of records I've never seen in the flesh before, but they only buy seriously immaculate stock. IMMACULATE. I feel guilty even going through all the crates, like I'm diminishing the condition even looking at it. I hate to buy anything there because there's two premiums- one for being obviously obscure hard to find releases, the other for being pristine M/NM although they don't even claim they're mint.

Is this Vintage Vinyl? They have a Discogs shop and I swear they have 8 or 9 things that I would love to have for at least 20$ more than anyone else on Discogs.

TheWizardOfTheOwls
Aug 23, 2010

Busy being worst girl
I have a quick question. So I picked up a pair of B&W 685 and they have 4 wire ports in the back, as opposed to the normal 2. What are the advantages to biwiring speakers? How does it affect the performance of the speaker?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TheWizardOfTheOwls posted:

I have a quick question. So I picked up a pair of B&W 685 and they have 4 wire ports in the back, as opposed to the normal 2. What are the advantages to biwiring speakers? How does it affect the performance of the speaker?

You can listen to Street Hassle in its intended format?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Dancing Potato posted:

Is this Vintage Vinyl? They have a Discogs shop and I swear they have 8 or 9 things that I would love to have for at least 20$ more than anyone else on Discogs.

Yep. Expensive as hell. Immaculate records though. They do have a basement full of stuff that doesn't meet the grade for much cheaper.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hurry Up, We're Dreaming finally came in to my local record store today! I feel like I bought it almost exclusively for Midnight City, but goddamn what a song.

I also saw a bunch of the stuff they got in today, I'm gonna go back tomorrow because I get paid. I'm going to blow all of my money on records...

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Yoshifan823 posted:

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming finally came in to my local record store today! I feel like I bought it almost exclusively for Midnight City, but goddamn what a song.

I also saw a bunch of the stuff they got in today, I'm gonna go back tomorrow because I get paid. I'm going to blow all of my money on records...

how much was it? I got mine at the merch booth and thought it was a good deal for 2-LP colored record set.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Floodixor posted:

how much was it? I got mine at the merch booth and thought it was a good deal for 2-LP colored record set.

Mine weren't the colored ones, just regular black, but 26. It's always a few bucks more than Amazon, but I like supporting local businesses when I can. (except when it's too cheap to pass up. I just ordered a couple off of Amazon that were hella cheap, and the Bored to Death theme song single, because it was cheap. bye money)

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wow, you got screwed. I got my copy for $20 from a local store. $26 is insane.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

My Insound order came in packed just dandy. Sorry for the :spergin: earlier :shobon:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Yoshifan823 posted:

the Bored to Death theme song single

The b side to that single owns. I found mine at the local record store where my parents live and had to have it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Superchunk posted:

Meh, it was either that, Insound or Amazon, and those two weren't that much less (it was $25 plus tax, 24 on Insound and 23 on Amazon).

edit: I dunno if any of y'all saw it/are fans, but Satellite High (the goon/rapper) is doing a Kickstarter to make a limited run of his newest stuff on vinyl. $30 gets you a copy, less gets you stickers and satisfaction, more gets you weird poo poo. It's here.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 13, 2012

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Not an Anthem posted:

The crease is inconsequential and doesn't hurt playback but its like buying a new car with some paint blemishes. That sucks.

The way you phrase this makes a lot of sense, so sorry if I seemed to compare our perfectionist customers with some of those Wal-Mart horror stories. I'm probably more peeved at a few of the lazier interns doing the packing than I am with those folks. I always pack our orders the best I possibly can, but I can't pack all of them. Sometimes records get damaged with a minor crease in the corner, sometimes it's worse, and we do try to avoid those scenarios whenever possible by stressing the importance of doing a bang-up packing job.

Actually, this would be a good time to talk about proper packing of records. When you're mailing LPs, be sure to put in plenty of insulating packaging material. At Insound, we usually use a cardboard flat and a square of bubble wrap on either side of the record in the mailer, with squares of bubble wrap in between each record for multiple orders. I've gotten shipments from eBay and Discogs sellers where the record was packed with a crumpled-up sheet of old newspaper on one side, and nothing else. Don't do that.

alg posted:

My Insound order came in packed just dandy. Sorry for the :spergin: earlier :shobon:

No worries bro, enjoy your new sounds!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Superchunk posted:

My buddy just called to say he picked it up for me for $19 :smugdog:

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
I know there are a lot of Lips fans here so here you go

Heady Nuggs Compilation for $74 and free shipping

Use discount coupon of FACEBOOK10 for additional 10% off as well.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I got paid back in spades today though, because not only did I find MBDTF (best album in a long drat time), I got Speakerboxx/The Love Below for $17. Fuckin' 4 LP set for less than a 20.

edit: I've gotta say, newer hip-hop doesn't quite get the boost from the vinyl that most music does. MBDTF sounds great and all, but it's nothing special, compared to when I listen to my digital copies, but I just put For Emma, Forever Ago on, and it just comes alive. It's something about the acoustics of it all, I think.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 13, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Crimson Sox posted:

You know, after Warner Brothers screwed me out of a coloured vinyl set I sorta vowed not to buy Heady Nuggs. But for 55 Euros? Sold.

Thanks man.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Crimson Sox posted:

Stupid cheap shipping as well (for Canadians at least) :O

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Heads up to any White Stripes super collectors. I saw a Sympathy for the Record Industry pressing of De Stjil at the Armageddon Shop in Cambridge for 29.99.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dumbledore 64 posted:

Stupid cheap shipping as well (for Canadians at least) :O

8 bucks shipping for Europeans as well, and with the 10% discount it's basically free shipping.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Crimson Sox posted:

Figures, I just loving bought this for full price last week. Still, if you don't have this already and are a Flips fan you'd be stupid not to pick it up.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Duckula posted:

Figures, I just loving bought this for full price last week. Still, if you don't have this already and are a Flips fan you'd be stupid not to pick it up.

So did I. I'll second the recommendation though, it's a fantastic set.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

CPL593H posted:

Heads up to any White Stripes super collectors. I saw a Sympathy for the Record Industry pressing of De Stjil at the Armageddon Shop in Cambridge for 29.99.

Not a super collector but that's my favorite LP of their's....tempting.

rings of bonzo
Jan 15, 2012

by Ozmaugh
im sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, and im sure its really annoying, but what advantage is there to listening to vinyl over cds or flac files? i have done some reading, but everyone seems to say different things, some say the digital capturing process creates distortion, others say that is a complete lie created by people who prefer vinyl, blah blah blah.

i want to get into vinyl, but id like to find out some quality information first.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

rings of bonzo posted:

im sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, and im sure its really annoying, but what advantage is there to listening to vinyl over cds or flac files? i have done some reading, but everyone seems to say different things, some say the digital capturing process creates distortion, others say that is a complete lie created by people who prefer vinyl, blah blah blah.

i want to get into vinyl, but id like to find out some quality information first.

Pretentious hipster douchebag answer: Vinyl and analog is akin to a roaring fireplace, whereas digital is a thermostat.

Realistic answer: After listening to something on vinyl the digital format of the song sounds a bit more brittle and tinny to me, if that makes sense. I don't really collect vinyl for superior sound or "warmth," though. I like having my favorite albums in tangible physical form instead of a bunch of abstract files kicking around on my hard disk.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rings of bonzo posted:

im sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, and im sure its really annoying, but what advantage is there to listening to vinyl over cds or flac files?

Technically? Nothing.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
It's just a fun thing to do and a fun hobby. Just like model trains or building ships in a bottle.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

stay depressed posted:

It's just a fun thing to do and a fun hobby. Just like model trains or building ships in a bottle.

Plus cool posters you can frame for instant art.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

rings of bonzo posted:

Here of all places I am suprised to find this is still a controversey. Typically the vinyl version of an album is mastered better than its digital counterpart. CDs(especially the more recently issued) are usually mastered too loud with can drown out a lot of nuance in recordings. MP3s also have this problem in addition to compression issues. Some people will say there isn't a difference and it doesn't matter and etc, etc. I disagree with them. And if we're being blunt I think some of them probably have lovely stereos.

That being said, you'll probably find just as many people who agree with this totally as you will who say it's utter bullshit. My suggestion is to find out for yourself.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

It reminds me of when I was a kid getting new cds and laying on my bed flipping through the artwork and lyrics while singing and listening to the album. It's a wonderfull feeling. Much like a book instead of a Kindle.

rings of bonzo
Jan 15, 2012

by Ozmaugh

stay depressed posted:

Thanks for all the replies. What is maintenance like for vinyls? I'd primarily be listening to older records (Zeppelin) if that matters at all.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Don't let 'em get too hot, and although your older records are probably gonna have ring stresses all over the cover anyways, store them upright like in a milk crate so that doesn't happen.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

rings of bonzo posted:

Thanks for all the replies. What is maintenance like for vinyls? I'd primarily be listening to older records (Zeppelin) if that matters at all.

Wipe them off with a lint free cloth.

Also saw my first Edison Diamond Disc in person yesterday, they are about as heavy as I thought they'd be. Needless to say, for $15 AUD each, I left them there.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

rings of bonzo posted:

Never stack them on top of each other. This is how they get warped. Don't touch the playing surface. Look into some kind of cleaning product or system (there's a whole lot of options and you can google this, but if you prefer I can give you specific suggestions) and get an antistatic carbon fiber brush to brush off the dust before playing. Clean records last longer. Replacing paper inner sleeves with plastic anti-static ones is also a good idea, as is getting clear plastic out sleeves. All this reduces the dust that can get on your records. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. Don't feed them after midnight. If you have been in the presence of a woman during her period you must sacrifice a goat on the altar of Molec. If you marry outside of your own religion the devil will never forgive you.

i am a bee
Apr 17, 2006
bees, bees, bees, just lookin' for a good time
One advantage of vinyl for me is that it encourages slow listening. Current track not grabbing you instantly? Tough poo poo, kiddo, by the time you get up, stop the player, wait for the arm to rise find the track you want (possibly flipping the disc or getting another disc out in the case of a double LP, safely and carefully putting the first one back...wait, is that dust on side C? Better get rid of that!), you may as well wit for the track to end. It makes it easier to appreciate albums as a cohesive collection of songs, sequenced by the artist or curator. Choice is great on a bus ride or car journey or trip to the gym, but sometimes it's good to put the artist in control. And the songs you might have skipped become familiar and sometimes become new favourites. If vinyl was more popular, I think we might have seen less albums with two good singles and a run of poo poo throughout the nineties and the last decade.

Also, record shopping is really good fun. You might not get what you want because of availability or price, but you'll usually find some crazy poo poo or a record you'd forgotten about.

i am a bee fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 15, 2012

johnny almond
Apr 20, 2009
Started my vinyl collection today, I can already see my money disappearing in the future.
Cream- Wheels of fire.

Click for big.
:10bux: off of ebay.

Edit;holy table breakage batman!

johnny almond fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i am a bee posted:

It makes it easier to appreciate albums as a cohesive collection of songs, sequenced by the artist or curator. Choice is great on a bus ride or car journey or trip to the gym, but sometimes it's good to put the artist in control.

Artists making albums instead of just making songs is why we have so much lovely music on records. This was the case even before CDs.