Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I'm picking up my newly renovated player tomorrow (:woop:), but it's too wide to put in the bookshelf with the rest of the stereo so I need to put it somewhere else. Are there extension cords for this purpose? I was going to ask in the store, but I thought it would be better if I had a look-around online first.

e. something like this should work right?

The reason you don't hear much about extension cords for turntable leads is because the turntable-amplifier connection is extremely susceptible to the introduction of noises and should be kept as short as possible. The signal along this run is really really weak and it massively amplified at the receiver. Any introduced noise on this section is also greatly amplified. If you really must do it you will also need to run a ground wire. Any small gauge wire should do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Ron Burgundy posted:

The reason you don't hear much about extension cords for turntable leads is because the turntable-amplifier connection is extremely susceptible to the introduction of noises and should be kept as short as possible. The signal along this run is really really weak and it massively amplified at the receiver. Any introduced noise on this section is also greatly amplified. If you really must do it you will also need to run a ground wire. Any small gauge wire should do the trick.

Well gently caress, that doesn't sound promising. I might just end up moving the whole stereo instead. Thanks for the heads-up.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Well gently caress, that doesn't sound promising. I might just end up moving the whole stereo instead. Thanks for the heads-up.

If you have a separate pre-amp you could move the pre-amp close to the turntable, then use the extension cables between the pre-amp and the amplifier/receiver.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Ron Burgundy posted:

I think this is happening to me, even though my cords are all pretty short. I've been noticing that when I have my receiver on the Phono setting, it's picking up radio signals. It's faint, but enough that I can hear it in the silence between tracks or when I don't have something loud playing. Would adding a ground wire get rid of this?

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake
Salva - Complex Housing

Got invited to the release party a year ago, where I was given this for free. It is my only record.

But I think I might have a problem. I bought more vinyl online. They're coming. I don't have a turntable; poo poo. I'm thinking of picking the Debut III Phono/USB because it has a preamp built-in. Is that an okay idea? Or would I be better off buying a $100 preamp (since the regular Debut III costs $100 less)?

Oh lookie, it's got some numbers scratched in there:

e: added a newline

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Well, I completely forgot that I found a online store that sold the red vinyl edition of Wild Nothing - Gemini and I waited to long to pull the trigger on it. Now it's gone and I'll never get an affordable copy.

That's a drat shame :(

Well, hellooooo lone copy on GEMM. I'll consider the more expensive shipping costs a $5 idiot tax.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 30, 2012

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I had a spare copy of the clear version of that record, but it was the only record to get destroyed when my shelves collapsed :(

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

trdn89 posted:

I had a spare copy of the clear version of that record, but it was the only record to get destroyed when my shelves collapsed :(

I retract my earlier 'drat shame' to apply it here:

That's a drat shame :(

JBRONSON
Dec 25, 2011

alg posted:

The worst I've had buying online was when I got All the Waters of the Earth Turn to Blood as a CD instead of the vinyl, which I double checked in the order box.

Even Amazon has really good packaging for records.

currently listening to this album right now haha. and also that sucks!
i order alot online and never had a problem

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

JBRONSON posted:

currently listening to this album right now haha. and also that sucks!
i order alot online and never had a problem

I returned it, and ordered the only one I could find, from deepdiscountdvd, and it's been in the mail for 16 days :smith:

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
Amazon has the Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 for $10. http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Sauce-Committee-Part-2/dp/B002T9HD3M

2LP + 7inch, digital download, and iron on graphic. I also got the flexi from Joyful Noise. Really cool, can't wait to see the box to store them in.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

thebigpicture posted:

Amazon has the Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 for $10. http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Sauce-Committee-Part-2/dp/B002T9HD3M

2LP + 7inch, digital download, and iron on graphic. I also got the flexi from Joyful Noise. Really cool, can't wait to see the box to store them in.
Man, I ended up not getting this album because I was waiting for the vinyl release, then by the time it had my enthusiasm had died. This I can do.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Farts Domino posted:

Man, I ended up not getting this album because I was waiting for the vinyl release, then by the time it had my enthusiasm had died. This I can do.

I was literally just thinking this today. Glad I waited, love the cover on this album.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Here is my Christmas haul. I probably over payed for "In Ghost Colors" but I got a great deal on my favorite Wake EP that sometimes sells for $60 and "The Parachute Ending".

The Wake - Something That No One Else Could Bring
The Wake - Talk About The Past
The Wake - Something Outside
The Chameleons - What Does Anything Mean? Basically

Cut Copy - In Ghost Colors
Cut Copy - Zonoscope
Starfucker - Reptillians
Birdy Nam Nam - The Parachute Ending

McCarthy - Should The Bible Be Banned?
McCarthy - The Well Of Loneliness
McCarthy - Keep An Open Mind Or Else
The Orchids - Lyceum

Vampire Weekend - Contra
SALEM - I'm Still In The Night
GY!BE - F♯ A♯ ∞ reissue
Toro y Moi - Underneath the Pine

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

Dmitri-9 posted:

McCarthy - Should The Bible Be Banned?
McCarthy - The Well Of Loneliness
McCarthy - Keep An Open Mind Or Else
The Orchids - Lyceum

Beautiful.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

El Graplurado posted:

Beautiful.

Yeah McCarthy is awesome and that Orchids record is my first 10 inch ever. If you've never heard of McCarthy and you have vaguely leftist sympathies listen to these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWlx9MRvWTc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHC3dGkewcg

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I kind of don't care for F#A# Infinity's differences on the record.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thebigpicture posted:

I picked this up a couple weeks ago when it was $12, I can't believe it's even cheaper now. Fuckin' great album too. Beastie Boys always sound so nice on vinyl.

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD

Dmitri-9 posted:

Vampire Weekend - Contra
SALEM - I'm Still In The Night
GY!BE - F♯ A♯ ∞ reissue
Toro y Moi - Underneath the Pine

ohhhh you lucky bastard

my current collection in pog lovely cellphone photo form!

dan deacon - meetle mice
black dice - repo
panda bear - tomboy
panda bear - person pitch

zach hill - astrological straits
animal collective - here comes the indian
eric copeland - hermaphrodite
thee silver mount zion memorial orchestra and tra-la-la band with choir - “this is our punk rock” thee rusted satellites gather + sing

autechre - LP5
godspeed you! black emperor - lift yr skinny fists like antennas to the heavens
eric copeland - doo doo run / fun dink death

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Aerobic Robot posted:

ohhhh you lucky bastard

I credit that timely purchase to discogs. I saw it in the new releases window an I thought to myself "limited edition Salem? I'll be a hundredaire"

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I picked up a Talking Heads bootleg (1975 CBS demos) for $25. Looking it up on discogs, it shows blue text on the front and back along with a "limited to 500 copies" message at the bottom. Mine has green text instead of blue, and the limited edition message is missing entirely. it's definitely silk screened, though. Did I buy a bootleg of a bootleg?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
My answer about the Talking Heads boot from before:

JehovahsWetness posted:

Simplest explanation? The "500 pressed" thing is probably bullshit, as is the case with a lot of boots. There may be 500 *numbered* copies but that's not the entire run. I mean, the unit price per LP @ 500 vs. per LP @ 1000+ isn't too much different and it's a boot (that's been existed in some form for a while) so it's not like the guy doing it has to pay unit royalties or keep track of any of that. Just looking around the net it's been widely distributed and is still readily available, so there's obviously more than 500 copies in circulation.

That's basically how bootlegs work, they keep pressing them until they get a C&D or the distributors won't take anymore.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Ah, cool beans. Alright, thanks

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

Dmitri-9 posted:

Here is my Christmas haul. I probably over payed for "In Ghost Colors" but I got a great deal on my favorite Wake EP that sometimes sells for $60 and "The Parachute Ending".

How much did you pay for In Ghost Colors?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
You know, I come across so many soundtracks. Heaps upon heaps of soundtracks for the crappiest films ever made.

Yet there's never been a vinyl release of the two French Connection soundtracks. What the hell, people.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Can anyone help me pick out a tuner/receiver? I don't really know what to look for. My current tuner has only one working speaker bank so I can't get any bass out of it :(

I'm looking for one that works and is reasonably priced. Would getting a used one be advised?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Get thee to a Craigslist. Then wait.

Also, the A/V Arena has a decent 2 channel thread:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252

Basically you're looking for anything pre-80s from a solid mid-level audio company: Sony, Panasonic, Yamaha, Pioneer, HK, etc. If you're lucky you can find slightly higher end stuff like Marantz, Sansui, McIntosh, etc. If audiogon.com ever gets their search by zip code feature fixed there's occasionally deals to be had on local rarer/higher-end equipment. When/if you go look at anything make sure it's hooked up, test all the channels, twiddle the pots to check for noise (usually easily fixed). Phono stages in modern cheaper amps tend to be poo poo, so I can't really recommend anything that's cheap and modern.

If you're patient there's definitely deals to be had on Craigslist. Like the mint Klipsch Heresy IIs I brought home today:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

WASDF posted:

Can anyone help me pick out a tuner/receiver? I don't really know what to look for. My current tuner has only one working speaker bank so I can't get any bass out of it :(

I'm looking for one that works and is reasonably priced. Would getting a used one be advised?

There's nothing wrong with buying used, in fact I'd recommend it because you'll save a bit of money that way if you're just planning on doing an old fashioned 2-channel set up. Look for something with wattage that matches your speakers peak wattage. Obviously make sure it has a phono input. Lots of newer receivers don't.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm quite green so your vernacular is falling on deaf ears. By two-channel, do you mean just left and right channel speakers? No center for bass or anything? I have Thorens TD 165 and some random TEAC speakers that don't really suffice when it comes to sound quality.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

I'm quite green so your vernacular is falling on deaf ears. By two-channel, do you mean just left and right channel speakers? No center for bass or anything? I have Thorens TD 165 and some random TEAC speakers that don't really suffice when it comes to sound quality.

Yeah, two channel means two speakers. And your stereo is only ever as good as your speakers so you might want to look into that as well if you think what you have isn't very good. Good speakers don't have to be expensive. Buying them used can be a little tricky, however.

Oh and I don't personally know anything about the turntable you have, but from what I read doing a quick google search it sounds like you're got something good. Thorens has a pretty big rep as quality anyway so there's that.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 1, 2012

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Harry Privates posted:

How much did you pay for In Ghost Colors?

I payed $50 but according to popsike it usually sells for $40.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, two channel means two speakers. And your stereo is only ever as good as your speakers so you might want to look into that as well if you think what you have isn't very good. Good speakers don't have to be expensive. Buying them used can be a little tricky, however.

Oh and I don't personally know anything about the turntable you have, but from what I read doing a quick google search it sounds like you're got something good. Thorens has a pretty big rep as quality anyway so there's that.

Hmm... So you think it could just be my speakers? The left and right channels work fine; it's just the quality that concerns me. I do get a little bit of a feint hiss when I turn my volume up all the way too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

Hmm... So you think it could just be my speakers? The left and right channels work fine; it's just the quality that concerns me. I do get a little bit of a feint hiss when I turn my volume up all the way too.

Is there a constant hiss or are you hearing a sound when you adjust the volume? If it's the latter then you probably have some dust in the pots. If it's the former it could be any number of things. But why the hell are you playing anything at maximum volume anyway? Not only is this unnecessary for a variety of reasons, it's a good way to blow up your speakers(not to mention ruin your hearing). What are you running the turntable through?

edit: It occurs to me that I probably misunderstood what you were saying. If you hear a faint ambient hiss when you turn the volume up all the way without playing anything, that's perfectly normal. If you're hearing sounds like that during playback, that's a problem.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 1, 2012

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

My max volume is pretty quiet.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

and it is when nothing is playing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

My max volume is pretty quiet.

What is your turntable connected to?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

specifically what do you mean?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

WASDF posted:

specifically what do you mean?

If you're running a phono turntable into anything that doesn't have a phono input (so into aux or something) the volume is going to be really low unless your table has a built in preamp.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

No, it's got phono inputs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
This is a long shot, but if your amp has a tape loop, the tape monitor dial isn't turned all the way up to tape rather than source?