Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

JehovahsWetness posted:

yeah but she's been replaced with an uncredited melodica solo

Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

My wife is hella cool. Last one I needed to complete the discography.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

My wife is hella cool. Last one I needed to complete the discography.

Same! Only in my case it was the VMP issue of Demon Days, which is probably my favourite album of all time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Hi SA.

This is a random question. I have a Sonos system, so I got this record player:

https://www.amazon.com/Crosley-C100A-SI-Turntable-Adjustable-Counterweight/dp/B016OVYIK6

And this connector:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/connect.html

I set up everything and I can’t get the sound to route though to the Sonos. From what I understood, the turntable just needed a pre amp (it does) and it should work. I have it on line out, which from what I understand is the pre amp, and I have the cables connected to line in on the Sonos Connect.

Did I get the wrong setup, am I doing something wrong? Why the hell can I not get this to work?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Can you give us shots of the back of your record player and the back of the sonos connector thing?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Edit: misread your post. Disregard

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 30, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Can you give us shots of the back of your record player and the back of the sonos connector thing?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
In the sonos software/app you'll need to specify that you want to use the line in on that player - should be under settings/room settings/*room name* it should be available in the 'browse' tab of the app

Banano fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 30, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Banano posted:

In the sonos software/app you'll need to specify that you want to use the line in on that player - should be under settings/room settings/*room name* it should be available in the 'browse' tab of the app

This is a good tip and because of it the Sonos is now registering a feed line, but I still can’t get music to come out of my stupid Sonos system. So a step forward, but still not fixed.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Just starting my collection and trying to be pretty selective about what I’m buying, both in terms of the albums themselves but also finding cheaper used LPs rather than getting a bunch of new reissues of classic albums. Was pleased to find this at my local record shop the other day:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Just starting my collection and trying to be pretty selective about what I’m buying, both in terms of the albums themselves but also finding cheaper used LPs rather than getting a bunch of new reissues of classic albums. Was pleased to find this at my local record shop the other day:

The way some David Bowie albums are price gouged now the reissues can actually be cheaper. Same thing with Prince. But anyway that's a good find.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
reissue action courtesy of santa

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

The way some David Bowie albums are price gouged now the reissues can actually be cheaper. Same thing with Prince. But anyway that's a good find.

Ya I hear ya. I think I paid about $12 for that, and the reissues I’ve seen are more in the $20-25 range. In the same visit I found Station To Station, I also saw old copies of Pet Sounds and Dark Side, two albums I’d love in my collection. But I passed on them bc I don’t want to drop $50 each. There are plenty of other albums I’ll just get the reissues though (Pink Moon I’m looking at you).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
How the hell is Dark Side of the Moon worth 50 bucks? Was it a MoFi version? It's a huge seller and there's tons of copies available.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
when 16 year olds in led zeppelin shirts from target stop paying 50 dollars for them they'll stop charging 50 dollars for them

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When I used to go to car boot sales (it's a UK thing, but we do 'Citywide Yard Sales' here in FL too which is the same thing - you fill your car with stuff you don't want anymore, drive to a big field, and sell it), Dark Side was pretty much an album you'd guarantee to see in every single stack of peoples vinyl for sale for $1. The idea of paying more than that (unless in totally lovely condition) befuddles me.

It was always a good way of building a collection, although you'd have to fight people from record stores from diving in and getting in the rarities, but it was sad I only ever saw one or two stacks of records from the 90s. Only so many 70s compilation records I could deal with seeing.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

How the hell is Dark Side of the Moon worth 50 bucks? Was it a MoFi version? It's a huge seller and there's tons of copies available.

Apparently it came with the posters from the original release (but not the stickers)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Ya I hear ya. I think I paid about $12 for that, and the reissues I’ve seen are more in the $20-25 range. In the same visit I found Station To Station, I also saw old copies of Pet Sounds and Dark Side, two albums I’d love in my collection. But I passed on them bc I don’t want to drop $50 each. There are plenty of other albums I’ll just get the reissues though (Pink Moon I’m looking at you).

The Nick Drake reissues are very good. With the exception of Bryter Layter they're all sourced from the original tapes and are all analog pressings (the tapes for that album are considered lost). I can't remember what they sourced for the Bryter Layter reissue, but it sounds good to me and for what an original pressing of those albums will cost you, there's no other choice than the reissues. Thankfully they are superb.

Reissues that are made properly and with care are great and make a lot of things you'd otherwise never find easy to obtain.

Cemetry Gator posted:

You'd be shocked what people charge for that, especially if they have the stickers and poo poo.

stay depressed posted:

when 16 year olds in led zeppelin shirts from target stop paying 50 dollars for them they'll stop charging 50 dollars for them

This definitely has a lot to do with it.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Also weird story about my receiver. It’s a vintage Kenwood, not sure exactly what year. It’s in pretty good shape, but recently the left channel started cutting out. This only happens for phono, the radio sounds fine in both channels. I took it to my Local Record Shop, and they opened it up and put some contact cleaner on it for free.

This took care of the problem for a couple of days, but sure enough it came back. I got in touch with a guy that will do a more thorough service, but it’s $50 just to look at it, let alone additional parts and labor cost to fix it. I was planning to drop it off in a couple days, but last night, I was playing around with it, giving it “The Fonz” treatment and such, but it was still cutting out. Then I quickly switched to the radio for a second, and when I switched back to phono the left channel was perfect. So far it’s stayed good, so we’ll see if this is a longer term fix or what.

As someone that knows very little about electronics, I have no idea why this would work at all...

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I regret not dropping $30 on this, but I know someone's going to see this on the shelf at the record store and they're gonna freak.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Also weird story about my receiver. It’s a vintage Kenwood, not sure exactly what year. It’s in pretty good shape, but recently the left channel started cutting out. This only happens for phono, the radio sounds fine in both channels. I took it to my Local Record Shop, and they opened it up and put some contact cleaner on it for free.

This took care of the problem for a couple of days, but sure enough it came back. I got in touch with a guy that will do a more thorough service, but it’s $50 just to look at it, let alone additional parts and labor cost to fix it. I was planning to drop it off in a couple days, but last night, I was playing around with it, giving it “The Fonz” treatment and such, but it was still cutting out. Then I quickly switched to the radio for a second, and when I switched back to phono the left channel was perfect. So far it’s stayed good, so we’ll see if this is a longer term fix or what.

As someone that knows very little about electronics, I have no idea why this would work at all...

If cleaning it took care of the problem for a little while it’s probably just a single bad capacitor. Shouldn’t be too much more over that $50 cost in parts and labor.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

I regret not dropping $30 on this, but I know someone's going to see this on the shelf at the record store and they're gonna freak.

Great movie, great soundtrack, definitely not worth $30

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Does it have that song Scott Thompson sings about being gay? I would probably pay the 30 bucks just for that on an LP.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

caligulamprey posted:

Not music related, but you have to see this. My favorite Siskel/Ebert moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dheOm5JgwzM

It's like a modern day internet message board exchange between trolls.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Does it have that song Scott Thompson sings about being gay? I would probably pay the 30 bucks just for that on an LP.

Yes

in retrospect it might be worth 30 dollars

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hi thread,

Update in case anyone was curious, I finally figured out hooking up the record player to my Sonos system. The drat needle was loose so it wasn’t getting the signal fully through. Tightened needle, rebooted system, worked instantly.

I stopped listening to records because it was so easy to use Sonos and then it worked through out the house. I’m hoping that this will get me listening to records again.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Hi thread,

Update in case anyone was curious, I finally figured out hooking up the record player to my Sonos system. The drat needle was loose so it wasn’t getting the signal fully through. Tightened needle, rebooted system, worked instantly.

I stopped listening to records because it was so easy to use Sonos and then it worked through out the house. I’m hoping that this will get me listening to records again.

*ahem* stylus, not needle

I mean grats on getting your setup up and running!

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Boinks posted:

*ahem* stylus, not needle

I mean grats on getting your setup up and running!

Whatever you want to call it, as long as you're using it to play vinyls!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

no broccoli please posted:

Whatever you want to call it, as long as you're using it to play vinyls!

*ahem* vinyl. the plural of vinyl is vinyl.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Whatever you want to call it as long as the plural is vinyls.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'll only accept vinyl, album,. Lps or records as a plural.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The neon writing in the window of the store in 90s movie 'Empire Records' says both CD's, and Vinyls, from memory. It's like they want to send me into a frothing rage.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
got a couple new discs at first 2018 record swap

calexico, new order, bill withers, michael rother, replacements, pointed sticks, message and roots manuva

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Best New Order record. Did it come with the floppy disk sleeve?
My personal favorite Replacements record.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

hatelull posted:

Best New Order record.

uh excuse me but that would be Substance

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Nah Movement is the best one. Truth.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Some pressings of Power, Corruption, and Lies are transparent when held up to a light. I know there's a bunch of those but I just think that's kind of fun.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Pingiivi fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 13, 2018

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Non-booty related stuff.

New El Huervo single in blue and black. I got them both because the postage fees to Finland were downright silly for just one record.

The 6LP complete Persona 5 soundtrack. The cover is lenticular so you can see the characters with their bandit gear on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
If I get something like this, would I still need a preamp? I have an AT LP-3 but would turn off (or disable) its internal pre-amp.