Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

My turntable completely crapped out on me today, unfortunately I also got a email from Paypal saying that they were permanently closing my account earlier this week, so no Ebay purchases.
Is insound or amazon my next best bet?

EDIT:
Will I regret splurging on this
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATLP120-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1328982939&sr=1-2

Slamma Jamma! fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Factory posted:

unfortunately I also got a email from Paypal saying that they were permanently closing my account earlier this week, so no Ebay purchases.

just curious, why would they do that? I use paypal a lot, so it's concerning to think of them closing my account. You can spare the details if you'd like, but was it for something you deserved?

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

chime_on posted:

just curious, why would they do that? I use paypal a lot, so it's concerning to think of them closing my account. You can spare the details if you'd like, but was it for something you deserved?

No, It was completely out of the blue :/

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

Factory posted:

No, It was completely out of the blue :/

That seems really shady to be honest...have you checked your credit cards/bank accounts for anything fishy just to make sure?

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Tiny Faye posted:

That seems really shady to be honest...have you checked your credit cards/bank accounts for anything fishy just to make sure?

Yeah and there isn't anything out of the ordinary, What really frustrates me is that
in the email I recieved, they don't say the exact reason for closing the account. It's unfortunate that Paypal has such a large foothold upon the smaller online market place :(

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Do you buy a lot of things on ebay? I think if you buy things too frequently, they'll shut your account down, or at least limit you because of some fraud prevention jazz. You might be able to get in touch with them and be like, "can I have my account back please?"

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Do you buy a lot of things on ebay? I think if you buy things too frequently, they'll shut your account down, or at least limit you because of some fraud prevention jazz. You might be able to get in touch with them and be like, "can I have my account back please?"

I had a spree of buying stuff, but that was a few months ago and I haven't really bought anything with Paypal since, besides Spotify Premium

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

That sounds really hosed up. I buy multiple records a week with paypal (and have done so for years) and have never had any kind of spending limit-type problems or anything. You should call them and see what's up.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

ChaosNonMusica posted:

That sounds really hosed up. I buy multiple records a week with paypal (and have done so for years) and have never had any kind of spending limit-type problems or anything. You should call them and see what's up.

Good luck. Paypal doesn't give a poo poo about their customers unless they're a business that keeps a hefty balance at all times. Any emails you send will be replied to with canned responses verbatim from help pages with no actual details pertaining to your inquiry. At least this has been my experience with the two PayPal disputes I've had on eBay.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

theradiostillsucks posted:

Good luck. Paypal doesn't give a poo poo about their customers unless they're a business that keeps a hefty balance at all times. Any emails you send will be replied to with canned responses verbatim from help pages with no actual details pertaining to your inquiry. At least this has been my experience with the two PayPal disputes I've had on eBay.

I called any they basically gave me a "There isn't anything I can do about it, but you can contact blah blah blah and try to dispute it with them, Remember you will need your drivers’ license, your Social Security or tax ID card, a
current utility bill, your business license, your articles of
incorporation, or other identifying documentation."

:/
On another note I bought Thickfreakness yesterday, It's a picture disc too,
but then I forgot my turntable is broken.
Is this
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATLP120-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1328982939&sr=1-2
a decent price?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Honestly you can get a decent vintage turntable on Craigslist for 1/4 that price if you shop around.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OK, this is probably a long shot, but does anyone know where I can find Blake Lewis' Heartbreak on Vinyl on Vinyl? Amazon doesn't have it, inSound doesn't have it, and it's goddamn impossible to search for vinyl copies of an album with the word in the title.

It's really cool, too. Red vinyl, limited edition, and the best post-American Idol album period, and just really good overall.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
From what I can tell, it was only available through his website, and limited to 500 copies. There's one for sale on discogs. http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=3187612&ev=rb

Edit: actually, it's still available from Tommy Boy.http://shop.tommyboy.com/artists.asp?page=releases&Artist_ID=461&Release_ID=580

chime_on fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 13, 2012

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

alg posted:

Honestly you can get a decent vintage turntable on Craigslist for 1/4 that price if you shop around.

My problem is the "quest" of it and just either not knowing brands well enough,
or not knowing/ being able to visually tell the condition. Is there a "checklist" of sorts one could use to make the quest for a vintage turntable easier?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

chime_on posted:

From what I can tell, it was only available through his website, and limited to 500 copies. There's one for sale on discogs. http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=3187612&ev=rb

Edit: actually, it's still available from Tommy Boy.http://shop.tommyboy.com/artists.asp?page=releases&Artist_ID=461&Release_ID=580

Aaaaaand impulse bought.

Totally worth it.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Factory posted:

My problem is the "quest" of it and just either not knowing brands well enough,
or not knowing/ being able to visually tell the condition. Is there a "checklist" of sorts one could use to make the quest for a vintage turntable easier?

Yeah, good brands to look for include Thorens, Dual and Pioneer. Avoid things that look like they are constructed mainly of plastic and likewise avoid things that look too old as they will have an unacceptably high tracking weight, but at the same time if you see something like an old Garrard 4HF or similar cheap you should snap it up as they have good collector value (and are just plain sexy).

Look for adjustable counter-weight (the one at the end of the tonearm), an anti-skate dial. A removable headshell configuration will make your life so much easier. These usually have a twist locking ring or a thumb screw. Generally it's best to avoid turntables that will only take a proprietary cartridge. Linear tracking turntables are best left unless you are technically inclined enough to service it.

The vast majority of turntables available are semi-automatic, this means they will return the arm at the end of the record and stop the motor. Fully automatic do this as well but automatically start and cue the record. Manual turntables do nothing, but might start the motor when the tonearm is placed over the platter area.

If you go the automatic or semi-automatic route ensure that when the tonearm approaches the middle of the platter the return mechanism is not overly tight in that it resists the arms lateral movement as this will cause tracking errors. This can be sometimes corrected with lubrication but it can be unfixable due to wear of parts.

Similarly check the tonearm moves freely in all directions with very little resistance. If it feels rough or "gravely" the bearings are probably shot, move on. Generally avoid black plastic gear, especially Sony/Teac stuff. Although there are a few gems by Kenwood, Pioneer and the like.

If you have any other questions let me know!

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

Yeah, good brands to look for include Thorens, Dual and Pioneer. Avoid things that look like they are constructed mainly of plastic and likewise avoid things that look too old as they will have an unacceptably high tracking weight, but at the same time if you see something like an old Garrard 4HF or similar cheap you should snap it up as they have good collector value (and are just plain sexy).

So, In terms of Dual's are there specific models to look for?
There is a Dual 506 fairly near that I may go snag.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
The 506 is a fine machine, It's one of the models where they lift the tonearm at the end of the record and shut off the motor but doesn't return, this is actually a very desirable trait. I'd expect it would be about $50-$70. Pull the trigger!

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Ron Burgundy posted:

The 506 is a fine machine, It's one of the models where they lift the tonearm at the end of the record and shut off the motor but doesn't return, this is actually a very desirable trait. I'd expect it would be about $50-$70. Pull the trigger!

It's 50$ but it's obvious it's been on there for a while, I think I'll call and try to haggle them to 40$ tomorrow :)
Thanks for the help!

EDIT:
I told my grandmother that her old turntable that she gave me broke, just in conversation and she was really surprised it had been working this long and then was happy I was enjoying it and she bought me that audio technica. So, that's pretty cool.

Slamma Jamma! fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 13, 2012

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

The Vinyl Thread: I told my grandmother the turntable she bought me broke

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
This is pretty cool, Joan of Arc is releasing a live soundtrack to the silent movie 'The Passion Of Joan Of Arc'. Limited to 525 copies on white, black/white, or blood red vinyl.

There's even a subscription.

http://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/news/107

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
My only problem with Joyful Noise is the grammatical error in their shipment notifications: "You're order has shipped." I am!? Oh boy!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

My only problem with Joyful Noise is the grammatical error in their shipment notifications: "You're order has shipped." I am!? Oh boy!

It's just a Big Rigs reference:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Haha, well at least that one kinda makes sense.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Factory posted:

I called any they basically gave me a "There isn't anything I can do about it, but you can contact blah blah blah and try to dispute it with them, Remember you will need your drivers’ license, your Social Security or tax ID card, a
current utility bill, your business license, your articles of
incorporation, or other identifying documentation."

They don't do this unless you have a recent transaction that someone refuted, so obviously you know what the cause of this is, sooo... yeah the "paypal is loving us all" bandwagon doesn't really apply here. Nobody I know has ever had a problem with paypal, invariably many of us having paypal accounts for this long have however filed disputes with negligent/fraudulent sellers. Not saying that's the case but you might want to make sure the transactions you recently completed are followed through.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Not an Anthem posted:

They don't do this unless you have a recent transaction that someone refuted, so obviously you know what the cause of this is, sooo... yeah the "paypal is loving us all" bandwagon doesn't really apply here. Nobody I know has ever had a problem with paypal, invariably many of us having paypal accounts for this long have however filed disputes with negligent/fraudulent sellers. Not saying that's the case but you might want to make sure the transactions you recently completed are followed through.

My main problem with them lies in how automated their red flags are. I had two overseas buyers open claims after my last batch of eBay auctions only to leave positive feedback a few days later. In the interim, PayPal put a hold on all funds in my account for 21 days that was finally lifted months later. That hold on funds sucked, because I typically only sell stuff when I need money pretty quick, and that defeats the purpose.

That it's so expensive to track international packages is precisely the reason you see so much bitching about Italy among eBay sellers and groaning about Canada in SA-Mart.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Not an Anthem posted:

I've gone through all my transactions and none have been refuted. It's just frustrating because they don't mention a specific transaction or violation

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So, I now have four more albums coming at me at various points in the next week. Both Fun. albums, that Blake Lewis one, and FutureSex/LoveSounds.

Yay pop music!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
If anyone still wants a copy of that Flaming Lips/Yoko Ono collab: http://flaminglips.com/shop/item/798/the-flaming-lips-with-yoko-ono-plastic-ono-band/

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Got my Joyful Noise box today and it's really cool. Much nicer than I expected, really.

Still waiting on that goddamn White Willow LP. Why do things have to take so long to ship from Norway? :(

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Got my Heartbreak on Vinyl in today. Signed by the artist, individually numbered (216, which is kinda sad because there are 500 total, and this came out almost a year ago, so I don't think it was terribly popular, but what do you expect with a vinyl recording of an Idol runner-up?), and in pretty, transparent red plastic.

And it sounds great, too.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Went over this whole thread over the past week or so in the evenings. Thank you!

I'm up to four whole records purchased new by me.

Myelin Sheaths: Get on Your Nerves (LP)
http://www.southpawdistro.bigcartel.com/product/myelin-sheaths-get-on-your-nerves-lp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqvZ0vVwZhU

Impulse buy after hearing a song online. Love it and am looking at the rest of their stuff now.

Final Fantasy: He Poos Clouds (LP)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He_Poos_Clouds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWPtBlPlHoo

Purchased at a record shop purely on the strenth of his previous album which I loved. I am having trouble getting into this one, honestly.

Built to Spill: Perfect From Now On (LP)
http://www.builttospill.com/discography/album/perfect-now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACks14qIUlM

Lost the CD ages ago and this was one of my favourite albums when I was in university.

Conveyor: Sun Ray (EP)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417644&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post393550991
http://conveyor.bandcamp.com/album/sun-ray-ep

Bought it after reading 1000 umbrellas' post early in the thread and listening to one of the songs.

Other than that I have a mess of stuff I got from my dad from his old music collection which includes some pretty cool stuff that everyone has (or should have) like Transformer, Who's Next, Songs of Leonard Cohen, Closing Time, plus other stuff I've picked up at garages sales and such. The condition of the vinyl's all over the place, but after reading this thread I'm going to make some storage and maintenance purchases, I think.

Anyone have good Canadian sources for vinyl? I've been looking at Amazon.ca to try to get some of my favourite albums, but I really doubt it's the best spot. I'm not in any major centre, so visiting actual music stores are out.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If anyone still wants a copy of that Flaming Lips/Yoko Ono collab: http://flaminglips.com/shop/item/798/the-flaming-lips-with-yoko-ono-plastic-ono-band/

Thanks man. Picked one up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Got my Joyful Noise box today and it's really cool. Much nicer than I expected, really.

I'm still waiting for mine. Would you mind posting a picture? I've been dying to see what the boxes look like.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Seems like people are finally starting to receive their copy of Deathconsciousness

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

CPL593H posted:

I'm still waiting for mine. Would you mind posting a picture? I've been dying to see what the boxes look like.

I might have my front cover on upside down in that first image, but that's how it was when I got it, so I'm sticking with it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

cheese eats mouse posted:

Thanks man. Picked one up.

Aaaaaaand they're gone.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Aaaaaaand they're gone.

http://warnerbrosrecordsstore.com/cart/buy.aspx?sys=WBR&UPC=093624951667&L=LIP

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I'm getting this really weird loving Cartmanland esque vibe from WB's business plan when it comes to these collab records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

WASDF posted:

Seems like people are finally starting to receive their copy of Deathconsciousness

I've been watching my mailbox like a hawk. Also finally got my copy of Jesu's self-titled that I ordered from Insound in like November.