Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Found a Marilyn Monroe picture record 'Runnin Wild' for £20 locally. Worth picking up?

Do you want to listen to the music or have the picture displayed somewhere

If no&no, then no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
HOLY loving poo poo LIGHT IN THE ATTIC IS REISSUING A BUNCH OF HARUOMI HOSONO ALBUMS

Everything they're reissuing is worth hearing (Philharmony's "Sports Men" is a pretty good introduction), but if you can only get one, make it Cochin Moon, a PREPOSTEROUSLY great album:

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/4101-cochin-moon

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

trdn89 posted:

HOLY loving poo poo LIGHT IN THE ATTIC IS REISSUING A BUNCH OF HARUOMI HOSONO ALBUMS

Everything they're reissuing is worth hearing (Philharmony's "Sports Men" is a pretty good introduction), but if you can only get one, make it Cochin Moon, a PREPOSTEROUSLY great album:

Light in the Attic, Sundazed, and Superior Viaduct are my holy trinity of reissue labels.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Superior Viaduct reissued the self-titled Monitor LP and for that I will love them forever.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Superior Viaduct reissued Outside The Dream Syndicate and for that I will love them forever.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

trdn89 posted:

Hosono kicks rear end and so does Light in the Attic. If his MUJI store soundtrack is on the reissue I will be super stoked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34UutDrXV2Q&t=2260s

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Speaking of Japanese rock bands, someone needs to reissue Flower Travellin' Band LPs that aren't bootlegs.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Light in the Attic was the parent label for the Camberwell Now reissues that this thread recommended and they're loving awesome.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Listen to This Heat too!!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I always talk up those Camberwell Now records when I can, they kind of fell through the cracks. Even my friends into This Heat hadn’t heard of them. Glad to hear you dig ‘em, Schremp.

Also: totally seeing This is not This Heat at Pitchfork festival. Gotta see Charles Hayward do his drum thing.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

linkedin dickpic posted:

Do you want to listen to the music or have the picture displayed somewhere

If no&no, then no

My Perry Como and Nat King Cole collection are stuff afe regularly put on and my King Cole and Dean Martin Christmas record is my seasonal favorite. The first part is a definite yes for me.

I sippose I could also set up a wall display for the Marilyn record too.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

caligulamprey posted:

Also: totally seeing This is not This Heat at Pitchfork festival. Gotta see Charles Hayward do his drum thing.

I am super excited for this. I just saw something from them that he will be the oldest fogey there at 66, lol

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I'm planning on picking up my first record player. I found an ad for a Sony PS-XL210 turntable for 35$ but I can't find any info on the internet about it's specifications (does it have a pre amp etc). Is there a good online recourse apart from scouring google where I could find this info?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Wizgot posted:

I'm planning on picking up my first record player. I found an ad for a Sony PS-XL210 turntable for 35$ but I can't find any info on the internet about it's specifications (does it have a pre amp etc). Is there a good online recourse apart from scouring google where I could find this info?

Something of that vintage ('84) won't have a built in pre-amp. That's not a bad price at all if it works. Direct Drive so you won't need to replace any belts. Looks like it's an automatic TT. I imagine the stylus could be replaced for cheap if needed.

Here's the most info I could find on it:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_direct_drive_turntable_ps_lx210.html

typically hifiengine is the best resource for manuals and data sheets on old equipment. They don't have anything on this one, though.

edit: it was part of this series:

wa27 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 24, 2018

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Speaking of Japanese rock bands, someone needs to reissue Flower Travellin' Band LPs that aren't bootlegs.

Sundazed has put out some super sketchy releases. Their mono Safe as Milk has a lot of stuff flown in from the stereo version, just folded to mono, even when there are mix differences between the two.

Like, the Loving Spoonful mono stuff was done alright with only one track where they did some trickery, but that's more of them working with bad tapes rather than trying to pass off a needle drop as a tape transfer.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Sundazed has put out some super sketchy releases. Their mono Safe as Milk has a lot of stuff flown in from the stereo version, just folded to mono, even when there are mix differences between the two.

Like, the Loving Spoonful mono stuff was done alright with only one track where they did some trickery, but that's more of them working with bad tapes rather than trying to pass off a needle drop as a tape transfer.

I own lots of their releases and I have no complaints. This is the first I'm hearing of any problems with their poo poo and they have a massive catalog so a couple of issues doesn't really sour me on them because I doubt there's any reissue label that's absolutely perfect.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Thanks for the Response. I contacted the seller and will pick it up tomorrow or on Saturday. I also saw a Dual 430 turntable but the cover was melted due to being in the sun.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Wizgot posted:

Thanks for the Response. I contacted the seller and will pick it up tomorrow or on Saturday. I also saw a Dual 430 turntable but the cover was melted due to being in the sun.
It’s probably an LX210 and not an XL210 if that helps you find information. You may want to confirm with the seller

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Stopped by the record store today because I have been doing a bunch of research on sampling of Jazz music and wanted to pick up some of the iconic records that were sampled heavily during the golden age of hip-hop. Ended up getting some classics and I am really stoked to see what I can put together with them.

Bob James - One
Stanley Clarke - Modern Man
Donald Byrd - Black Byrd
Blackbyrds - Flying Start

I also picked up two 12" hip-hop singles which I have been collecting.

Queen Latifah - Weekend Love / Black Hand Side
Tag Team - Whoomp! (There It Is)

I feel like as far as my jazz records go, I have a lot of the major artists that have been heavily sampled including:

Ahmad Jamal
Ramsey Lewis
Grover Washington Jr.
Weather Report
The Four Tops
The Crusaders
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
George Benson
Paul Horn
Herbie Hancock

I am wondering where to go from here and would definitely appreciate some advice on other artists to check out. Also, I made a beat last night sampling one of the drum breaks from the Mustafa Ozkent album and it is unreal how many good breaks there are on that album.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

MrSargent posted:

I am wondering where to go from here and would definitely appreciate some advice on other artists to check out. Also, I made a beat last night sampling one of the drum breaks from the Mustafa Ozkent album and it is unreal how many good breaks there are on that album.

Would love to hear some of your stuff. Please post it (or the thread in ML if you posted it there)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MrSargent posted:

I discovered Özkent (and 70s Turkish psych in general) thanks to Oh No's instrumental beat album "Dr. No's Oxperiment" a few years back. More than one song from Gençlik İle Elele makes an appearance.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

anyone from new york in this thread? im going to be in Brooklyn next week for an entire week and want to hit as many record shops wherever I can. any recommendations? primarily shopping for Jazz, Electronic/Disco/House and Hip-Hop, but I'll take any sorta shop.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Check out these loving lunatics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJJy6VJvSCk

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

you probably got dirty power and don't even know it. you just put dirty power on your last record spun, leaving dirt all over it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

you probably got dirty power and don't even know it. you just put dirty power on your last record spun, leaving dirt all over it.

My favorite thing is the guy with 100,000 dollar speakers who lives in poverty so he can get the ultimate sound but he still has his refrigerator in the same room as the stereo.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Actually your favorite thing is that they’re both too old to hear the damned difference anymore.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Nah, the refrigerator could be young enough to still have good hearing.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I wonder if Japanese audiophiles have cooler taste than euro amerikan ones

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
They probably have the Mustafa Özkent album with a Japanese cover.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

A human heart posted:

I wonder if Japanese audiophiles have cooler taste than euro amerikan ones

They’re both still listening to the same boring Beatles record.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I AM HAVING A GOOD TIME.

(I probably look no better)

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
The local record shop had one copy of that Mustafa Özkent album so I got that. Also I got the repress of Whipped Cream and Other Delights because for some reason that's the only Herb Alpert record I've not seen in Finnish flea markets.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sometimes I wonder if my record collecting and my tendency to be very particular about how the disc sounds has become a full blown obsession that overshadows me enjoying the actual music. Then I see guys like that and I remember I'm no where near living out that kind of madness.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Pingiivi posted:

The local record shop had one copy of that Mustafa Özkent album so I got that. Also I got the repress of Whipped Cream and Other Delights because for some reason that's the only Herb Alpert record I've not seen in Finnish flea markets.

That's hilarious you couldn't find Whipped Cream. I can't remember the last time I went to a thrift store that didn't have at least one copy.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Mike_V posted:

Would love to hear some of your stuff. Please post it (or the thread in ML if you posted it there)

I'm working on putting my beats up on SoundCloud, but if you send me your email, I will send over a couple I have made recently.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

MrSargent posted:

That's hilarious you couldn't find Whipped Cream. I can't remember the last time I went to a thrift store that didn't have at least one copy.

Apparently it wasn't a super mega hit over here. The repress came with a really nice download card though. It's credit card sized, plastic and it has the whole typography from the cover on it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Peak Vinyl right there

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Surprisingly, I didn't see Whipped Cream at half price books today.... tons of dadrock and duplicates of many of my jazz albums, and a big pile of 7" rock singles in atrocious condition, but no Herb (or any used funk/R&B for that matter).

They did have one thing on my want list, however....

PLECTRUMELECTRUM, in all caps with no spaces because Prince. They had it new and unopened - my first new album purchase. I was going to wait for the Tauk EP to drop on vinyl for my first new vinyl purchase, but I didn't expect to find this for so cheap.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Mike_V posted:

Ok you don't need to send your e-mail. I put about 6 beats in a playlist on my SoundCloud. Here is the link:

https://soundcloud.com/bradley-freeman-3/sets/bradwise-beat-series

They are all rough sketches and have varying degrees of mixing applied (no mastering). Let me know what you think and if you want, you can guess which track has the Ozkent break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Joining the club. Thanks Jackpot records!