Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Thanks for the heads up on this. I wanted to buy some of those albums and then I saw what people were selling them for and I was like "Ha, NOPE!".
I regretted few things as much as not pulling the plug on a box set preorder back when, but I didn't have a record player then. Caveat: discogs tells me the coloured ones are the European editions, the US gets black, but who cares, they're out and the time is now. Wish they'd also do the collection of rarities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Probably needle in a haystack for this one, but Rare Bird Alert by Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers got repressed as a Barnes and Noble exclusive of all things...nice surprise to fall into when flipping through the vinyl yesterday...

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rare-bird-alert-steve-martin-steep-canyon-rangers/32466104

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I regretted few things as much as not pulling the plug on a box set preorder back when, but I didn't have a record player then. Caveat: discogs tells me the coloured ones are the European editions, the US gets black, but who cares, they're out and the time is now. Wish they'd also do the collection of rarities.

Life is pain.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

My wife had a racquetball tournament in Austin over the weekend, so I made my annual trip to end of an ear. Nothing too exotic I am afraid. The Bongripper came in the mail.

I should have bought Ah Um again, since the last copy I bought has a very unfortunate issue with the end of side one ...

You guys have a go-to Monk record? I really like Straight, No Chaser but I NEVER see it in my regulars.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BongRipper, NICE.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

hatelull posted:

You guys have a go-to Monk record? I really like Straight, No Chaser but I NEVER see it in my regulars.

Solo Monk is like a warm, snuggly blanket. My go-to Monk.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
singularity is sick

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Bon Gripper rules

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

John Maus is loving amazing but I'm very glad my girlfriend never pays attention to lyrics cause explaining why there's a solid three minutes' repetition of the line OH MY, GRANDMA'S PEED HER PANTS AGAIN would have been a tough nut to crack even with preparation.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
If anyone is into modern soul/funk revival stuff, I would HIGHLY recommend checking out artists on the Daptone label, especially Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, Charles Bradley, and Saun & Starr. I picked up Sharon Jones' final album Soul of a Woman and it is really great stuff. It really feels like you are listening to something that was recorded in the late 60's early 70's, and in a good way. It was only $18 brand new at my local record store which I thought was decent for a new release. Unfortunately since the artists are relatively new, it is near impossible to find used copies when digging.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

MrSargent posted:

If anyone is into modern soul/funk revival stuff, I would HIGHLY recommend checking out artists on the Daptone label, especially Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, Charles Bradley, and Saun & Starr. I picked up Sharon Jones' final album Soul of a Woman and it is really great stuff. It really feels like you are listening to something that was recorded in the late 60's early 70's, and in a good way. It was only $18 brand new at my local record store which I thought was decent for a new release. Unfortunately since the artists are relatively new, it is near impossible to find used copies when digging.

Lee Fields is also on Daptone and is very very good.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Lee Fields is also on Daptone and is very very good.

Very true! I should have included him, thanks.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

My Lovely Horse posted:

John Maus is loving amazing but I'm very glad my girlfriend never pays attention to lyrics cause explaining why there's a solid three minutes' repetition of the line OH MY, GRANDMA'S PEED HER PANTS AGAIN would have been a tough nut to crack even with preparation.

same but with tonetta

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

same but with tonetta

Sever.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Got these today

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Boinks posted:

Got these today

Stanley Clarke is the man on bass, have a couple of his solo albums which are great.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Boinks posted:

Got these today

This is very good taste.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

MrSargent posted:

Stanley Clarke is the man on bass, have a couple of his solo albums which are great.

I have 3 or 4 of his solo albums and they're all good, and they were all dirt cheap too.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
IDIB just restocked some out of print chromatics stuff, including a 12" with I Can never be myself when you're around. Go go go go

https://twitter.com/IDIB/status/1019656610484850689?s=19

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

thrilla in vanilla posted:

IDIB just restocked some out of print chromatics stuff, including a 12" with I Can never be myself when you're around. Go go go go

Thanks for the heads up - I wanted to order something from them that included Shadow.

I went with the triple pack:
https://italiansdoitbetter.com/product/chromatics-3-pack/

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I FOUND IT!!!! Been searching for months in multiple states and dozens of stores across the country but finally I found it!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

I FOUND IT!!!! Been searching for months in multiple states and dozens of stores across the country but finally I found it!

Congrats dude! Great album. Funny enough, I just found the 45 for Shining Star, haha.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I got an email from VMP today that they were having a huge sale so I took a look at what they had and there was a bunch of cool stuff. I didn't buy anything at first and when I came back in the afternoon, nearly everything was sold out...drat. I did manage to snag D'Angelo's debut album Brown Sugar but missed out on Herbie Hancock, James Brown, and Madlib - Shades of Blue.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MrSargent posted:

I got an email from VMP today that they were having a huge sale so I took a look at what they had and there was a bunch of cool stuff. I didn't buy anything at first and when I came back in the afternoon, nearly everything was sold out...drat. I did manage to snag D'Angelo's debut album Brown Sugar but missed out on Herbie Hancock, James Brown, and Madlib - Shades of Blue.

Thier sales are the worst. I have a added a record to my cart only to have it be gone when I check out.

Sept. Classics was leaked though ...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlTWIz-hYcB/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=b5lvuzsbnkyz

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Tell me more about... whatever this is. I’ve been debating about switching from hip hop to classics but I might hold off a few months if this isn’t my bag.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
70’s funk rap/poetry

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I've been keeping an eye out for classic hip-hop albums when I stop in to buy some records, but had a question about Illmatic. I see there are quite a few Reissues, but then there is a Reissue/Remastered version. I feel like the mastering quality on some original hip-hop releases is hit or miss. MF DOOM's Operation Doomsday original pressing sounds terrible to be honest, and if it wasn't for the album artwork, I would have just grabbed the remaster. Is it worth getting the remaster of Illmatic or does the standard Reissue sound good?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A friend of mine has the standard reissue and I think it sounds fine. But for full disclosure I haven’t heard the remaster.

Is there a purple version of Only Built 4 Cuban Linx? I’d love that.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

A friend of mine has the standard reissue and I think it sounds fine. But for full disclosure I haven’t heard the remaster.

Thanks! I won’t worry about getting the remastered version then, unless I just happen to come across it. Saw the remastered version of Operation Doomsday and it’s like $9 cheaper than the original pressing and actually sounds good. Tempted to get it just so I can actually listen to that album on vinyl.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

boop the snoot posted:

here ya go

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3886136?ev=rb&condition=Mint+%28M%29

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

drat that is awesome, I want it!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Had some room left in my luggage so I made one last trip to the record store in KC before leaving.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

Had some room left in my luggage so I made one last trip to the record store in KC before leaving.

I've never seen that Diana & Marvin album before, will have to keep an eye out since I love both of them.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MrSargent posted:

I've never seen that Diana & Marvin album before, will have to keep an eye out since I love both of them.

It has this song on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzg8Vm8rYrs

Which is one of my favorite soul samples that has been used in hip hop.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Two out of three isn't bad.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Transporting Hotel California over state lines is a federal offense. The album's even on the TSA's banned list.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Only found one record on my quick dig today, but it was a cool one. Found DJ QBert's Limited Edition Rare Hard To Find Dirt Style, which is a DJ Battle Record for $3, and it looks like copies start at around $10 on discogs. Nothing crazy but I always like finding hip-hop collectible stuff. I'm a huge fan of QBert and really enjoyed his Crate Diggers episode so this is a cool little piece of hip-hop to have in my collection.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

bigman.50grand posted:

Transporting Hotel California over state lines is a federal offense. The album's even on the TSA's banned list.

Charging $12 for it is the real crime.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MrSargent posted:

I've been keeping an eye out for classic hip-hop albums when I stop in to buy some records, but had a question about Illmatic. I see there are quite a few Reissues, but then there is a Reissue/Remastered version. I feel like the mastering quality on some original hip-hop releases is hit or miss. MF DOOM's Operation Doomsday original pressing sounds terrible to be honest, and if it wasn't for the album artwork, I would have just grabbed the remaster. Is it worth getting the remaster of Illmatic or does the standard Reissue sound good?

The remaster of Illmatic (with the alternate artwork) is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

dorium posted:

The remaster of Illmatic (with the alternate artwork) is great.

Thanks a lot! Gonna keep an eye out for that one. I saw the RSD Illmatic Live release but I don't really want to pay $40 for it.