Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I posted a week or so ago about an Audio Technica upgrade... but I think I am moving on from those and wondering what people think about these three:

Orbit Plus
Pro-Ject Primary
Pro-Ject Essential III

I think I like the "look" of the Orbit Plus the most... But I really know nothing about cartridges and such. I've been working with a really lovely Sony record player for 10+ years and am going to upgrade at some point in the next month. I also do not consider myself an audiophile whatsoever so I'm not great with hookups. Would cheaping out on a phono pre-amp be a bad idea?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11506&cs_id=1150605&p_id=26406&seq=1&format=2

Would something like that work to hook up to powered speakers (to sound bar and sub in the living room). Or, if I got the Orbit Plus would you recommend just letting them install the phono preamp into it? Help an audio noob who enjoys listening to vinyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

MrSargent posted:

Thanks a lot! Gonna keep an eye out for that one. I saw the RSD Illmatic Live release but I don't really want to pay $40 for it.

I picked this one up at RSD, and it's a seriously amazing album, NO RAGERTS.

On another note, I'd been looking for Whiskeytown "Strangers Almanac" for awhile now and didn't think I'd ever find it without buying online. Went into a record store just browsing and loving found it. Just sitting there looking sexy. I was pretty pumped.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Orbit Plus
Pro-Ject Primary
Pro-Ject Essential III

I use a Primary along with Klipsch R-15PM and it's okay if you can snag one at a good price. Mine came as a bundle (with the speakers) and I picked it all up for about $300. There's an adjustable tonearm but it has no markings so you'll need to use a VTF gauge to adjust it properly. I've been using the belt for a couple of years now and it still rotates at exactly 33.3 or 45 RPM, which is surprising. The big downside is that I can only find one place selling replacement belts and they're like $35 shipped. It came with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge which sounds pretty decent. The speakers themselves are pretty good and not needing an external pre-amp along with their Bluetooth capability makes them perfect for my setup.

I can't comment on the others because I haven't used them. The Primary is pretty barebones. I wouldn't drop $300 on it by itself, but considering the speakers are $350+ for the pair by themselves, it was basically free. Some of Pro-ject's turntables don't come with dust covers so make sure whatever you're looking at actually comes with one.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I picked up a few records today including these two Prince albums. I was all excited because Around the World in a Day included the poster. But it turns out it's a Purple Rain poster....

So I guess I have to buy Purple Rain now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

wa27 posted:

I picked up a few records today including these two Prince albums. I was all excited because Around the World in a Day included the poster. But it turns out it's a Purple Rain poster....

So I guess I have to buy Purple Rain now.

Now that people are charging outrageous prices for those albums the posters are collectors items so you lucked out.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Around the world in a day rules and so does that poster.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Now that people are charging outrageous prices for those albums the posters are collectors items so you lucked out.

really now? i have a near mint condition poster from Controversy

not that I'd be willing to give it up, but if the price was right...

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

dorium posted:

People call me rude. I wish we all were nude.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

I don't think they're getting Frankenchrist prices, but they definitely are bumping up the retail values.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Hit up two shops today and ended up coming home with this. One is a newer spot in town and they had a pretty killer selection, picked up everything except for the Loretta Lynn and Waxahatchee there. They had a decent punk selection too, but it was a bit pricy. Can't justify dropping 30 bucks on a dead Kennedy's record (with poster!) or 55 on The Replacements right now. I always feel dumb buying like Hall and Oates or whatever but I love that poo poo. Pretty excited about the Eno too

Also oh god I hope I got the formatting right. :v:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
H2O is nasty.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Nice haul. You should never feel bad about buying Hall & Oates, they are awesome and respected by a ton of musicians from many genres. Hell, they have been sampled by some hip-hop greats like De La Soul, J Dilla, and Wu Tang.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Hit up two shops today and ended up coming home with this. One is a newer spot in town and they had a pretty killer selection, picked up everything except for the Loretta Lynn and Waxahatchee there. They had a decent punk selection too, but it was a bit pricy. Can't justify dropping 30 bucks on a dead Kennedy's record (with poster!) or 55 on The Replacements right now. I always feel dumb buying like Hall and Oates or whatever but I love that poo poo. Pretty excited about the Eno too

Also oh god I hope I got the formatting right. :v:

If that Dead Kenndys record with a poster was Frankenchrist for 30 bucks then that's actually a really good deal.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

When I saw you mention Frankenchrist, I was wondering if it was the DK album. It looks like it's 50-80 on discos, which may be somewhat expensive, but nothing too outrageous. Does it typically go for much more than that?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

CPL593H posted:

If that Dead Kenndys record with a poster was Frankenchrist for 30 bucks then that's actually a really good deal.

I didn't actually see what the album was. I think the cover was mostly black though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

When I saw you mention Frankenchrist, I was wondering if it was the DK album. It looks like it's 50-80 on discos, which may be somewhat expensive, but nothing too outrageous. Does it typically go for much more than that?

No, but without the poster the album goes for 20-30 bucks, so that's a significant price jump.

Stan Taylor posted:

I didn't actually see what the album was. I think the cover was mostly black though.

Sounds like it was the first album (Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables). There are a whole bunch of different pressings of that so I really couldn't say whether or not that's a fair price, but a trend I'm noticing in the last few years is that any kind of classic punk/post-punk type poo poo is being price gouged to hell and back. That said, all their albums are great and worth owning so I'd recommend just buying them if you find them for reasonable prices.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I got a copy of Fresh Fruit with the poster in pretty decent shape for $30 two weeks ago and I have no regrets.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

I got a copy of Fresh Fruit with the poster in pretty decent shape for $30 two weeks ago and I have no regrets.

Yeah I mean most old pressings of DK albums are going to be in the 20-30 dollar price range anyway if they're VG+ or better. About a year ago I got an early UK pressing of that album with the poster from a flea market dealer with a copy of Neil Young's On the Beach, John Cale Sabotage, and some weird sound effects disc for like 35 bucks or something. So occasionally you can still find people selling things for reasonable prices. Lately I've just been kind of sick of buying records because the price gouging and ebay price speculators have just gotten out of control.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Oh yeah we've definetly seen a jump. It's nice that records are widely available and petty much everything gets a release. But what used to be a $15 record is now like $25 or worse.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

Oh yeah we've definetly seen a jump. It's nice that records are widely available and petty much everything gets a release. But what used to be a $15 record is now like $25 or worse.

I have dozens of records I bought for ten bucks or less that average in price at about 25-30 dollars now. It's absolutely outrageous what people are selling things for now. A couple years ago you could get every Prince album from the 80s for close to what people are asking for one.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I found a NM, 1st UK pressing of Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables at a record shop in SF years ago. Has the original poster and innersleeve with the original backside album art. It apparently came from a deceased radio station employee's private collection. It looks brand new like it was played once and stored away for decades.

$25

this thing could easily flip for probably triple now at the rates DK's stuff is going up and punk in general.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I picked these up this weekend. All in great condition. The sleeve of Coroner's Gambit is a bit beat up, but the records themselves are pristine. I got a really good deal on them, but my understanding is that Full Force Galesburg and Coroner's Gambit can go for $200+.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Rosalind posted:

I picked these up this weekend. All in great condition. The sleeve of Coroner's Gambit is a bit beat up, but the records themselves are pristine. I got a really good deal on them, but my understanding is that Full Force Galesburg and Coroner's Gambit can go for $200+.

:chanpop::bisonyes:

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
ffg and coroner are going for around 150~160 this year

my galesburg is pretty beat up so its mostly just for me to listen to

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
This just arrived a full 5 months after I'd ordered it. Still, glad to get it at all seeing as the label I ordered it from dropped him and tossed all his merchandise including vinyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcRzuAwsGUQ

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This just arrived a full 5 months after I'd ordered it. Still, glad to get it at all seeing as the label I ordered it from dropped him and tossed all his merchandise including vinyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcRzuAwsGUQ
That guy sounds like a real class act. You should be happy you got anything at all

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
My VMP box finally arrived and it was worth the wait!

First up on the the turntable is Lord Willin' by Clipse and holy poo poo is this a beautiful pressing. I didn't realize it's pressed at 45 RPM and it really bumps. I love VMP's gatefolds, they are extra-sturdy and have a really nice finish.

It also included a cool piece of artwork which would be cool to put up in my studio.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 22, 2018

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Nice! Clipse is definitely on my to-get list, and I’ve been waffling over JJ DOOM.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ballz posted:

Nice! Clipse is definitely on my to-get list, and I’ve been waffling over JJ DOOM.

The Clipse album is incredible and seriously bumps. Gatefold is extra-sturdy and has a nice finish similar to the Mmm..Food album. JJ DOOM isn't a gatefold, but the sleeve is great and the printed inner sleeves are a nice touch. Sounds really good too, although I noticed that there is a difference between the version of "Rhymin Slang" on the vinyl vs. the album on Spotify. I tried looking this up but couldn't find any information.

If the Hip Hop record next month ends up being Denzel Curry like people think, I will probably do another swap and hopefully pick up Ready To Die. Already have Miles Davis, Betty Davis, and Common coming next month, lol. I have a problem.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I need to vent about the vinyl releases from the GOOD Music group this summer. I ended up grabbing Daytona, ye, KSG, and Nasir on vinyl since the prices were really good. All of them were delayed by weeks. Not only that but I got an e-mail over 3 weeks ago from the Kanye Store saying my Ye vinyl has shipped but as of today it still shows as being in "Pre-Shipment" status and that USPS is waiting for the item. I have seen several people receive their Daytona vinyl while I just received an e-mail saying it shipped.

I realize that most pressing plants are backed up in the US but this is ridiculous.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Life is pain.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Life is pain.

Thank you for your understanding in this difficult time.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

wait till you hear whats on em

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Schremp Howard posted:

I have the version with the "Picture censored" back cover and the original poster. I also have a first pressing of Plastic Surgery Disasters with the booklet. That was the extent of my journey into punk rock.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

wait till you hear whats on em

Daytona and KSG are great, I collect Kanye vinyl, and Nasir was....only $15.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Honestly, I'd expect to find new/old goodie vinyls for £10~15. Unless I'm thrifting/charity-shop-hunting, where I can get those for a quid or two, I don't expet to see anything new for more than a fiver.

However, I've seen couple charity shops around my area actually start selling new records.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Honestly, I'd expect to find new/old goodie vinyls for £10~15. Unless I'm thrifting/charity-shop-hunting, where I can get those for a quid or two, I don't expet to see anything new for more than a fiver.

However, I've seen couple charity shops around my area actually start selling new records.

Wait what? You expect new vinyl to be no more than $5? I can't think of a single record released in the last year that had an initial price of less than $15.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I bought an EP at a basement show the other week for just $10, and a 7” for $5. Them’s 2008 prices!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MrSargent posted:

The Clipse album is incredible and seriously bumps. Gatefold is extra-sturdy and has a nice finish similar to the Mmm..Food album. JJ DOOM isn't a gatefold, but the sleeve is great and the printed inner sleeves are a nice touch. Sounds really good too, although I noticed that there is a difference between the version of "Rhymin Slang" on the vinyl vs. the album on Spotify. I tried looking this up but couldn't find any information.

If the Hip Hop record next month ends up being Denzel Curry like people think, I will probably do another swap and hopefully pick up Ready To Die. Already have Miles Davis, Betty Davis, and Common coming next month, lol. I have a problem.

Yeah I listened to the Denzel Curry album and I’m just not feeling it. I’ll probably swap for Soul Makossa or JJ Doom if it’s an option. No idea about the track difference you mentioned but it’s possible the one on Spotify is from the “Buttery” version of the album which has some alternate takes and remixes.

I too have splurged like hell this month on VMP basically doing a purchase a week. I’ll show off my spoils when they arrive next month.

Thanks goons, for giving me a new way to drain my bank account. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

MrSargent posted:

I need to vent about the vinyl releases from the GOOD Music group this summer. I ended up grabbing Daytona, ye, KSG, and Nasir on vinyl since the prices were really good. All of them were delayed by weeks. Not only that but I got an e-mail over 3 weeks ago from the Kanye Store saying my Ye vinyl has shipped but as of today it still shows as being in "Pre-Shipment" status and that USPS is waiting for the item. I have seen several people receive their Daytona vinyl while I just received an e-mail saying it shipped.

I realize that most pressing plants are backed up in the US but this is ridiculous.

Just be glad you didn't order the frank ocean album last year. Longest six months of my life