Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Beelerzebub posted:

I do not care to disclose how much I spent on the Mountain Goats' Satanic Messiah EP.
I don't expect to ever see a copy of Basking Sharks' Shark Island, but if I do, things are gonna come to a point very fast and no one involved will come out with their dignity intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't expect to ever see a copy of Basking Sharks' Shark Island, but if I do, things are gonna come to a point very fast and no one involved will come out with their dignity intact.

My wallet certainly did not come out intact

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Looking through cheap Amazon vinyl and... who wants to play Vinyl roulette?

https://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Hits/dp/B073W3T65W/

At first glance it's just Santana's Greatest Hits, based on the cover art and description. But the artist is listed as Frankie Laine. Click on the CD version and you see Frankie Laine's Greatest Hits. BUT the title changes to Greatest Hits [Audio CD] The Mills Brothers. Now scroll down to the reviews and they're all for.... Linda Ronstadt CDs and Vinyl. :wtf:

I'm guessing it's actually the Santana release, but man, Amazon's database could use some cleanup.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
VMP announced some new records today and among them is a VMP Exclusive of "Bad Neighbor", the collaboration between MED, Blue, and Madlib on red/black vinyl. It looks like the RHH Record of the Month is going to be 400 Degreez by Juvenile which I can respect, but isn't really my thing. Will probably swap for Carter II (if available to swap) or Goodie Mobb.

I came across Endtroducing... by DJ Shadow the other day, but I have heard that the represses sound pretty terrible. Was wondering if anyone could confirm because I would love to have it on wax, but would rather save for the original pressing if the quality is that much better.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 5, 2018

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MrSargent posted:

VMP announced some new records today and among them is a VMP Exclusive of "Bad Neighbor", the collaboration between MED, Blue, and Madlib on red/black vinyl. It looks like the RHH Record of the Month is going to be 400 Degreez by Juvenile which I can respect, but isn't really my thing. Will probably swap for Carter II (if available to swap) or Goodie Mobb.

I came across Endtroducing... by DJ Shadow the other day, but I have heard that the represses sound pretty terrible. Was wondering if anyone could confirm because I would love to have it on wax, but would rather save for the original pressing if the quality is that much better.

nah it sounds good. I have an original UK pressing and the repress from 2002. They both sound great. You'll just be missing out on the complete album cover in a fold out jacket.

that's not even the full album cover, this is

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Mailers finally arrived tonight, gonna package everything up and send out tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Nerd alert: Waxwork just put Beetlejuice up in two variants!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

Nerd alert: Waxwork just put Beetlejuice up in two variants!

Now get them to release the Batman score.

edit: The Batman Prince album would also be acceptable.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Which Batman? Mondo just did two different Batman pressings, but might not be the one you are looking for.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Now get them to release the Batman score.
Mondo just put out an expanded version (that still isn't even complete) that immediately sold out, but they're selling the original issued score with new artwork: https://mondotees.com/collections/all/products/batman-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-lp

I think the Prince 12" Batman singles just got a non-RSD repress because I've been seeing them everywhere. Partyman's the loving JAM.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Mondo just put out an expanded version (that still isn't even complete) that immediately sold out, but they're selling the original issued score with new artwork: https://mondotees.com/collections/all/products/batman-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-lp

I think the Prince 12" Batman singles just got a non-RSD repress because I've been seeing them everywhere. Partyman's the loving JAM.

Thanks for the heads up. I remember the Prince album was one of those things everyone laughed at and you could buy for like four dollars and now it's 30-40 bucks. I'm so ready for the bubble to burst.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

hexwren posted:

what record

This:

https://www.discogs.com/Clydie-King-Rushing-To-Meet-You/release/4189888

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I have shipped all of the 7" singles out and everyone should have gotten an email from me with tracking information. If you didn't get one, just shoot me a PM!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Picked up Check Your Head today and finally completed a small collection of repressings I've been working on for years.

(I know it's not a discography but that's all the albums I wanted)

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Just discovered Nuclear Blast has repressed a handful of Meshuggah records, 500 copies of each! Super happy about this, DEI was my biggest metal musical influence, this was the band that taught me how to use 7 and 8 string guitars to great effect and that dissonance is wonderful.

Meshuggah:
https://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/products/sound/vinyl/lp/meshuggah-meshuggah-splatter-vinyl-.html

Destroy Erase Improve:
https://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/products/sound/vinyl/2lp/meshuggah-destroy-erase-improve-swirl-vinyl-.html

Contradictions Collapse:
https://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/products/sound/vinyl/2lp/meshuggah-contradictions-collapse-swirl-vinyl-.html

None:
https://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/products/sound/vinyl/lp/meshuggah-none-splatter-vinyl-.html

Chaosphere:
https://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/products/sound/vinyl/2lp/meshuggah-chaosphere-splatter-vinyl-.html

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

wa27 posted:

Picked up Check Your Head today and finally completed a small collection of repressings I've been working on for years.

(I know it's not a discography but that's all the albums I wanted)

Awesome collection. I have managed to pick up Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head but gotta keep an eye out for Licensed to Ill and their other albums.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I already have the best BB album

I love instrumentals, though

pwn fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 8, 2018

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
But that's not The In Sound From Way Out

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Barry posted:

But that's not The In Sound From Way Out

this, I'd have posted a pic as a response but my copy is a CD =(

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Mix-Up is massively underrated. The buildup to that excellent synth line in the back half of Off The Grid is one of my favorite things.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Live, from the DMV, it’s Mr Sargent :o

And thanks for the bonus! Can’t go wrong with Anita Baker

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Glad everything arrived safely! I don't want to reveal how much time I spent digging through my 45's to find ones that I thought would be good to include. I'm sure I messed at least one choice up but I'm stoked Anita worked out for you.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

pwn posted:

Live, from the DMV, it’s Mr Sargent :o

And thanks for the bonus! Can’t go wrong with Anita Baker

I’m jealous mine is showing up Friday, can’t wait!

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
"What's it all About" is a loving banger, and I'm totally gonna make sweet love to my wife with it as the soundtrack. (Not sure what I'm gonna do with the rest of the 2 minutes of song though)

Thanks for the Isley Brothers 45 too bro!

TheJetCityFix fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 11, 2018

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

My MrSargent/VMP monthly haul:

Guru - Jazzmatazz Vol. II
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
Max Roach Trio featuring the Legendary Hasaan
Ofege - Try and Love
Charlie Rouse -- Bossa Nova Bacchanal (obscured by cat)

The Sargent bonus 45 is a Commodores Motown record -- Sail On/Thumpin' Music which is a rather interesting pairing for a single. The Tim Tucker single is legit, btw. Very chill. Great job again, Sarge.

All the VMP records are exclusives. Pretty stoked with Jazzmatazz in particular, as that sold out months ago but they put a handful in the store during their Thanksgiving sale which lasted all of 10 minutes before selling out again. Charlie Rouse and Max Roach both sold out during that sale as well, so I'm glad I got them when I did.

Ofege is a Nigerian psych rock band from the 1970s. This is their first album, while their second album was released as a Black Friday RSD exclusive. I still need to pick that one up.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Sweet grump cat.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
FYI, there are still a few copies of La Monte Young's release of The Well-Tuned Piano on DVD available through his store:

http://www.melafoundation.org/store.html

It's expensive - about $100 shipped - but it goes OOP for decades in between rereleases . I've been studying/working/falling asleep to it for like 15 years and it only gets more useful as time goes by; I've only ever heard the ripped version broken into five segments, though, so I'm extra excited to hear it as one unbroken piece.

If you enjoy stuff like The Disintigration Loops or John Luther Adams or Tim Hecker I implore you to check this out.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

trdn89 posted:

FYI, there are still a few copies of La Monte Young's release of The Well-Tuned Piano on DVD available through his store:

http://www.melafoundation.org/store.html

It's expensive - about $100 shipped - but it goes OOP for decades in between rereleases . I've been studying/working/falling asleep to it for like 15 years and it only gets more useful as time goes by; I've only ever heard the ripped version broken into five segments, though, so I'm extra excited to hear it as one unbroken piece.

If you enjoy stuff like The Disintigration Loops or John Luther Adams or Tim Hecker I implore you to check this out.

Dang. That signed version at $300+

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.villagevoice.com/2002/09/03/pinned-down-by-the-piano/

quote:

On one continuous DVD we get to hear—and watch—Young play the longest version of the improvisatory work that he’s ever done, clocking in at six hours and 25 minutes.
6.5 hours on one disc? :pwn:

For that bitrate, you may as well save $89 and watch it on Youtube.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Ballz posted:

Ofege is a Nigerian psych rock band from the 1970s. This is their first album, while their second album was released as a Black Friday RSD exclusive. I still need to pick that one up.

Both of those records are pretty goofy at best iirc

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

TheJetCityFix posted:

"What's it all About" is a loving banger, and I'm totally gonna make sweet love to my wife with it as the soundtrack. (Not sure what I'm gonna do with the rest of the 2 minutes of song though)

Thanks for the Isley Brothers 45 too bro!

Haha, I'm really glad you like it dude, thanks for the feedback!

Ballz posted:

The Sargent bonus 45 is a Commodores Motown record -- Sail On/Thumpin' Music which is a rather interesting pairing for a single. The Tim Tucker single is legit, btw. Very chill. Great job again, Sarge.

Thanks dude! I also managed to pick up Jazmatazz Vol. 2 before it went out of stock again and should be getting it this Friday.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Ras Het posted:

Second one is lame, first one is super amateurish but earnest and reaches beyond its grasp. I like it, and if it were a US psych private it'd still be sweated but it def rode the afro hype wave.

(full disclaimer, i own OGs of the first one and I got it as like a deal add on while splashing out for a (better) different afro hype lp)

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 12, 2018

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Christmas came a bit early

Funky guitar shredding and er, Joni Mitchell I suppose

Psych rock from Fever Tree including a 12 minute long version of Hey Joe. The Baris Manco is the Guerssen reissue and sounds fine, apparently the master tapes have been destroyed so a copy of a good copy is as good as you can hope for. 180 gram pressing with new liner notes and a repro of the original inner booklet.

More Turkish action, another guerssen reissue of 3 Hur El, and a German comp of Turkish stuff, looks a bit cheaply done but bought it mainly because it has Sur Efem Atini on it and I don't fancy paying discogs prices for an original.

Them is drat near mint and a great album, Lucifer is not a very good album at all but got it as it has one track from the greatest mixtape of all time

hosed up Greek release of the Shocking Blue which is an actually an amalgamation of this and their previous album so it didn't have the track I bought it for. Could have sworn it was listed when I looked at it in the shop but apparently my eyes don't work very well. 2069 is a loving wicked funk/psych comp that I had back in the late nineties until some poo poo stole it from me. So glad to have another one :)

Banano fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 12, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Holy poo poo, Tha Carter III is currently shaking my house. This VMP pressing is absolutely amazing and loud as hell.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

In you're in an area where there's a Newbury Comics they're doing a 25% off sale on records for the next few days.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Download code for Townes van Zandt - Our Mother the Mountain. This is a great place to start with Townes, for the uninitiated. Untouchable Texas troubadour.

https://www.memphisvinyl.com/downloads

151Av

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
My Meshuggah albums arrived early! They're 45's, wasn't expecting that but really glad, quality/mix is incredible especially considering the harsh nature of the albums.

And have the Altered States soundtrack coming next week, gonna have a psychedelic Christmas!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I want to start getting anti-static inner sleeves for some of my more treasured records that don't already come in them. Any brand/style recommendations? Amazon has about a dozen different kinds, and was wondering if any one stands above the others as far as quality goes.

Ras Het posted:

Mmmmmm... it is a bunch of Nigerian teenagers singing in broken English doing some garage psych from the 1970s. I guess "goofy" is acceptable, if you know what you're getting into from the get-go.

Banano posted:

Psych rock from Fever Tree including a 12 minute long version of Hey Joe. The Baris Manco is the Guerssen reissue and sounds fine, apparently the master tapes have been destroyed so a copy of a good copy is as good as you can hope for. 180 gram pressing with new liner notes and a repro of the original inner booklet.

More Turkish action, another guerssen reissue of 3 Hur El, and a German comp of Turkish stuff, looks a bit cheaply done but bought it mainly because it has Sur Efem Atini on it and I don't fancy paying discogs prices for an original.

Loving that Turkish stuff. Are you in the U.S.? Did you import all those? I've been hoping some of this stuff get U.S. reissues so I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for them.

MrSargent posted:

Holy poo poo, Tha Carter III is currently shaking my house. This VMP pressing is absolutely amazing and loud as hell.

I went to a Spins listening party yesterday and told the VMP guy there that I was subscribed to their hip hop track. He then went on to say "Oh man, this month's reissue of Tha Carter III is AMAZING! It's totally going to sell out, because no way will anyone ever swap for it." I didn't have the heart to tell him I swapped it. :shobon:

1000 umbrellas posted:

Download code for Townes van Zandt - Our Mother the Mountain. This is a great place to start with Townes, for the uninitiated. Untouchable Texas troubadour.

https://www.memphisvinyl.com/downloads

No one jumped on this? Alrighty then, thanks for helping me (digitally) fill a gap in my Townes collection. :cheers:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

I want to start getting anti-static inner sleeves for some of my more treasured records that don't already come in them. Any brand/style recommendations? Amazon has about a dozen different kinds, and was wondering if any one stands above the others as far as quality goes.

The Mobile Fidelity ones are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

MrSargent posted:

I got my 45 and it sounds great! Double thanks for the bonus soul!