Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

sporklift posted:

CARRY ALL YOUR LP’S IN STYLE WITH A SLEEK & ERGONOMIC LP ORGANIZER!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DKQ3R73/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_4vW.Cb91N6SJK

Sometimes I think the word ergonomic gets thrown around a bit too much
That’s what i miss most about CDs, the wallets. Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

sporklift posted:

First I pointed and laughed. Then I thought about how it would be nice to cart around records during the rainy seasons in Portland. It's a wash.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Finally I can cut down on all these bulky record sleeves.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Finally I can cut down on all these bulky record sleeves.
Having to see all that large artwork every time i play a record, easily the biggest drawback of the format

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Personally I love the idea of lugging around a bunch of impratical media that is only playable on machines that are not portable in a case that holds an insignificant number of them in a way which is very likely to damage or destroy them.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

First I pointed and laughed. Then I thought about how it would be nice to cart around records during the rainy seasons in Portland. It's a wash.

Usually when I'm transporting records it is 50+ ... so ... carrying 10 if those... I dunno. I've never needed to transport 8 records

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

CPL593H posted:

Personally I love the idea of lugging around a bunch of impratical media that is only playable on machines that are not portable in a case that holds an insignificant number of them in a way which is very likely to damage or destroy them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

As a kid I'd often wonder why there were walkmen and discmen but no recordmen and even got as far as some preliminary designs in crayon, but never really considered how you'd have to carry records with you.

I didn't put a lot of thought into how it would work on a technical level, basically just musing about the bare minimum size device you'd need to still play a record and let's just say when I learned about the Sound Burger a few years ago I was like "mother fucker."

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

nothing i enjoy more than placing heavy cables right next to vinyl in a carry all with little support.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm sure that if I ever saw this when I wasout somewhere I wouldn't be able to stop laughing. What an rear end in a top hat.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I personally wouldn't mind having one to demo used records at a shop, especially since so many nowadays don't have listening stations.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

That thing is probably heavy from batteries and you still need headphones with a messy cable laying around. Get one of these to take to the record store for ease of testing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

I personally wouldn't mind having one to demo used records at a shop, especially since so many nowadays don't have listening stations.

I don't buy anything that would be visually graded less than VG+ unless it's especially cheap or somewhat rare at a good price.

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

That thing is probably heavy from batteries and you still need headphones with a messy cable laying around. Get one of these to take to the record store for ease of testing.

That's still a bit much to carry around. Just use a sewing needle.

BryanAdams
May 31, 2019

Ask no questions, get no answers

Do people unironically do this? I only listen to my records at home and without headphones at that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

sporklift posted:

This is actually a fantastic thing for all my DVS discs. Thanks.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

BryanAdams posted:

Do people unironically do this? I only listen to my records at home and without headphones at that.
I've actually seent it with my own eyes, but I live in Portland and chalked it up to that.

I also saw a dude on a bus earlier today with a handlebar mustache tattooed on his upper lip.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

sporklift posted:

You know, maybe it's just leftover laserdisc binders. They've just found a new use for them.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

I've actually seent it with my own eyes, but I live in Portland and chalked it up to that.

I also saw a dude on a bus earlier today with a handlebar mustache tattooed on his upper lip.

I hate the guy on that bus.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Got my Vinyl Me, Please Bespoke Post records today.

Not a bad haul for less than 30 bucks.

My actual VMP shipment should be here in a day or so. That one is OutKast and nothing else.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I forgot to check the VMP picks for this month and got that loving Phoenix album, ugh

really wanted that Sister Rosetta Tharpe

anyone want to buy an unopened Phoenix or trade

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 13, 2019

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I’ll probably get Phoenix next month, Storf has been posting on the VMP subreddit and the hints he gave didn’t seem promising. Although someone freaked out that the clues could mean Frances the Mute sooooooo

Phone posting so I can’t do the clues here. Apparently VMP is having a bunch of issues lately (potential repress on OutKast due to demand isn’t sitting well with people, Wyes Blood exclusive going missing and being sent to retailers) so no wonder they shut down the forum.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Schremp Howard posted:

(potential repress on OutKast due to demand isn’t sitting well with people, Wyes Blood exclusive going missing and being sent to retailers)

but muh exclusivity

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Barry posted:

but muh exclusivity

People aren't complaining about the exclusivity (at least not most people). People are complaining because some people who have been members for years and had Outkast selected as their ROTM were sent e-mails basically saying "we oversold this record so sorry, you aren't getting one".

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Wouldn't they then be happy that there's a repress so they can get it? If the contention is that they had to buy something else they didn't want (can't you cancel or skip or something?) then that's somewhat understandable.

I guess I just can't see why anyone would be unhappy that they're going to make more copies of Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik so more people can have it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Barry posted:

Wouldn't they then be happy that there's a repress so they can get it? If the contention is that they had to buy something else they didn't want (can't you cancel or skip or something?) then that's somewhat understandable.

I guess I just can't see why anyone would be unhappy that they're going to make more copies of Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik so more people can have it.

As far as I know, the repress isn't a guarantee for anyone who didn't get the first pressing. You had to sign up for a waiting list for a chance to get one of the represses and it filled up super fast. Most people I have seen aren't upset about the repress, they are upset about VMP loving up this release this badly and making it a huge hassle.

You can't skip months. If you cancel, you have to re-activate your sub and I believe it requires you to sub for 3 months.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That makes sense. I figured it would just be another "if you want this record, just sign up for it" rather than some wacky waiting list hijinx.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I've been a member for like 5 months and got the Outkast album and I was subscribed to hip hop. How on Earth do they have long standing members subscribed to hip hop that were told they weren't getting it. That's pretty unbelievable. They have the counts for people subscribed to hip hop... It's pretty simple to make *at least* that many pressings plus X amount for swaps and new sign ups.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I've been a member for like 5 months and got the Outkast album and I was subscribed to hip hop. How on Earth do they have long standing members subscribed to hip hop that were told they weren't getting it. That's pretty unbelievable. They have the counts for people subscribed to hip hop... It's pretty simple to make *at least* that many pressings plus X amount for swaps and new sign ups.

you would think.

I've been with VMP for a little over 5 years so I still have the original subscription method of month to month available to me and because of a financial hit I took recently I dropped one of the subs and am only subscribed to two tracks. I haven't liked anything coming out of the hip hop track in months, but saw this Outkast release come up and I switched over for the month and abandoned the Essentials track for the month. I managed to get Outkast yesterday despite not being subbed for at least 3-4 months now. It's a true crapshoot how they select who gets these records. They either gotta get better at recognizing their member base and how it shifts or really just lock a number down and not shift it in anyway at this point. It just gets confusing and more frustrating if you're stuck in the middle of it. Especially for a record that's never seen a complete edition before.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Barry posted:

That makes sense. I figured it would just be another "if you want this record, just sign up for it" rather than some wacky waiting list hijinx.

You would think! Like if you are doing a repress because you hosed up and didn't press enough to meet the demand of your current customers, you should probably make sure that your long-term customers that missed out get their record.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

dorium posted:

you would think.

I've been with VMP for a little over 5 years so I still have the original subscription method of month to month available to me and because of a financial hit I took recently I dropped one of the subs and am only subscribed to two tracks. I haven't liked anything coming out of the hip hop track in months, but saw this Outkast release come up and I switched over for the month and abandoned the Essentials track for the month. I managed to get Outkast yesterday despite not being subbed for at least 3-4 months now. It's a true crapshoot how they select who gets these records. They either gotta get better at recognizing their member base and how it shifts or really just lock a number down and not shift it in anyway at this point. It just gets confusing and more frustrating if you're stuck in the middle of it. Especially for a record that's never seen a complete edition before.

You not getting it would be *somewhat* understandable because you had to swap to it. But you did get it. And there are people saying they ARE subscribed to hip hop that said they weren't getting it? That's literally unbelievable.

Like, it's a fairly simple number to calculate for subscriptions. And then just produce X amount of whatever the hell you want for swaps and new subscribers. If swaps and new subscribers don't make it.. then tough luck? If they have enough of those wanting it, THEN attempt a second pressing? People that were subbed to the hip hop for 1+ month should absolutely be getting a copy. That's mind boggling if they aren't.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

You can't just ignore the exclusivity aspect in something like vinyl, either. Whether you agree with it or not, people pay a premium for limited or special editions. That appeal and the fear of missing out is certainly what drives a portion of their business. Judging based on the other recent VMP dramas, they have done the math and made their decision though.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Paying extra money for a yellow record out of 100 when 4900 black ones were pressed is dumb.

I have some rare records and I think “hey cool” but I don’t consider a colored variant to be rare/exclusive/worth spending more, generally speaking. I will buy every Melt-Banana record I can get my hands on, but that’s more compulsion than anything at this point.

pwn
May 27, 2004

sleppy posted:

You can't just ignore the exclusivity aspect in something like vinyl, either. Whether you agree with it or not, people pay a premium for limited or special editions. That appeal and the fear of missing out is certainly what drives a portion of their business. Judging based on the other recent VMP dramas, they have done the math and made their decision though.
The sooner that FOMO GTFO of here, the better off we’ll all be. It’s exhausting

Yes, there’s poo poo like VMP for people who crave that sort of thing, but it’s all over the rest of the vinyl industry too and is inescapable.

I feel like I’ve said it before, but I really appreciate that Belle and Sebastian have had virtually no special editions, and the couple they have, were reasonably-priced and plentiful. Their whole catalogue remaining in print, with only one brief interruption, is another good thing.

Sell music on the strength of the music.

PIAPTK gets special dispensation because they were one of the OGs and the dude runs it himself, and does a lot of screen printing and lathe cuts, so the scarcity is far from artificial.

Edit: but i repeat myself :v:

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 15, 2019

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MrSargent posted:

People aren't complaining about the exclusivity (at least not most people). People are complaining because some people who have been members for years and had Outkast selected as their ROTM were sent e-mails basically saying "we oversold this record so sorry, you aren't getting one".

They’re still getting one, a second repress is confirmed. They’re just mad at the delay/randomness of who is getting one now versus getting one later. There was a similar issue with Nat Turner Rebellion a few months ago, but that has since been repressed and sent to everyone who ordered it.

The old forums were kind of a feedback loop of negativity that i think amplified any problems that arose so I can kind of get VMP shutting the whole thing down.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's great when you find something in the Dollar bin at Goodwill that you've been looking out for forever.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That’s the good poo poo

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
My goodwill find this week was a Getz/Gilberto with a kinda gross sleeve. LP is in nice shape though.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I think people are pissed because a portion of longtime customers got letters saying the shipment would be delayed due to "unprecedented demand." So they either didn't realize how big it was or figured it out too late and wanted to squeeze some extra sales. It want to say they made a big deal not long ago about not repressing records of the month, but naturally I can't find that now.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

it'll be cool to have a rare outkast album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
yeah i love having poo poo