Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

I really want that pink record... but not "$49 dollars" want that record... Mondo better not just do their stupid release and better give us options like this... now I'm sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Surfingelectrode posted:

Styx and Split Enz both put out records in the 80s with playable etchings. I'm not sure why TMR are touting this as an innovation.

Third Man changed the description on their site. It now says:

"This is an entirely different process (and look) from your Styx and Split Enz records from the 80’s. No lasers, holograms, or rainbows are involved in this playable etching."

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

alg posted:

$49 after shipping :negative:

That seems slightly less awful now that I know its a double LP. But still a little more than I should spend now.

Surfingelectrode posted:

Third Man changed the description on their site. It now says:

"This is an entirely different process (and look) from your Styx and Split Enz records from the 80’s. No lasers, holograms, or rainbows are involved in this playable etching."

Oh poo poo, they're watching us! :tinfoil:

fire_shall_come
Jan 25, 2007

a very poor quality photo of my death in june vinyl.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

fire_shall_come posted:

a very poor quality photo of my death in june vinyl.

Whats it like being a millionaire?

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
That makes me incredibly jealous.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Just checked out Death In June for the first time.

What the gently caress am I listening to? I mean, creepy masks, nazi references, sometimes violent lyrics....

all dipped in the most soothing folk vibe imaginable.

What the hell?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
hey fire_shall_come do you like other experimental folk like Eyeless in Gaza? That is like the perfect autumn/winter music for me.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Just checked out Death In June for the first time.

What the gently caress am I listening to? I mean, creepy masks, nazi references, sometimes violent lyrics....

all dipped in the most soothing folk vibe imaginable.

What the hell?

And, when the angels of ignorance
Fall down from your eyes
Rose clouds of holocaust

That is the most goth thing ever said

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Whats it like being a millionaire?

The worst part is that even the scraps and filler that Douglas P considers fit to reissue generally wholesale for what I would consider to be above-average retail prices, meaning prices once stores put their markup on them fall squarely into "gently caress that" territory, especially considering that it's rarely the good stuff.

Also, if it's your first venture into DiJ territory, But What Ends When the Symbols Shatter? is a good intro for their neofolk phase. Someone else can give you a rundown of the industrial albums since I'm not as fond of or well versed in those. They're like any number of similar acts in that a lot of the shock value is simply that and a lot of what you might be led to believe is deep is simply cribbed from some pseudo-esoteric source that allows the band to feel intelligent, kinda like how sci-fi authors love to use obscure or high-brow epigraphs at the beginning of chapters.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

theradiostillsucks posted:

The worst part is that even the scraps and filler that Douglas P considers fit to reissue generally wholesale for what I would consider to be above-average retail prices, meaning prices once stores put their markup on them fall squarely into "gently caress that" territory, especially considering that it's rarely the good stuff.

Also, if it's your first venture into DiJ territory, But What Ends When the Symbols Shatter? is a good intro for their neofolk phase. Someone else can give you a rundown of the industrial albums since I'm not as fond of or well versed in those. They're like any number of similar acts in that a lot of the shock value is simply that and a lot of what you might be led to believe is deep is simply cribbed from some pseudo-esoteric source that allows the band to feel intelligent, kinda like how sci-fi authors love to use obscure or high-brow epigraphs at the beginning of chapters.

Doesn't help that since he is gay he would be led to the gas chambers immediately.

But even his new albums go for $40, its ridiculous. And you will never ever get a good deal from eBay, even if it's not Buy It Now (good luck finding an auction though)

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
The Guilty Have No Pride is a good spot to start if you like Joy Division, and Nada has a bit of a mild industrial sound.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So apparently that business with the Jack White flexi discs on balloons wasn't bullshit.

http://thirdmanrecords.com/balloon

I can't wait to see how much ebayers will be charging for these if/when more of them are recovered.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
None of those people look very excited to have a new record.

edit: Since the mail came I'm very excited for my new records!

Coil - Gold is the Metal

and

Coil - Autumn Equinox: Amethyst Deceivers

It was unopened and unplayed so I had to put it on immediately...

I will not stop until I have one of every Coil release on vinyl and CD.

cheapandugly fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 3, 2012

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Speaking of gimmick records, I was listening to Caesar Franck, Symphony in D minor. Leopold Stokowski conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra today, and when I got to the end of the symphony I flipped over to what would have been the 12th side and found this awesome embossed pattern. Nice touch.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

cheapandugly posted:

Coil - Gold is the Metal

Does it have the 45 with it?

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
No, but I will get that too (almost certainly the red vinyl, the clear is probably well out of my price range).

Speaking of rather expensive records, I got an email from Coptic Cat today saying that there will be an edition of 39 copies of Current 93's Lucifer over London accompanied by a line drawing by David Tibet on sale for £193.

fire_shall_come
Jan 25, 2007
The Doo Do Chasers: i am hardly wealthy.

Dmitri-9: i do enjoy the expirimental folk stuff, bit of current 93, der blutharsch, zero karma, agnivolok etc.

one of the first album i heard was brown book and that is one of the stranger sounding releases, it has a very odd mix but i still love it. the trouble with douglas is he doesn't just rerelease things he has to go rererererererererelease it in more elaborate and over the top packaging its getting ridiculous.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Just got these two in the mail today:

Satanic Satanist is a bit warped I think... it was a combined order with a set of headphones so Amazon shipped everything in a big box rather than in their special LP packaging. There's about one quadrant of it that undulates when it plays. It sounds perfectly fine to my ears, though. Is this normal? If not, is there a way to fix it or should I just return it?

Anyway, pretty stoked. Now I'm only missing Waiter: "You Vultures!" and Censored Colors.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

This arrived yesterday and it was so worth it.

*Shels - Plain of the Purple Buffalo

it has some beautiful packaging.

it also came on purple transparent vinyl, but it didn't show up well on my phone's camera so I didn't bother with taking a picture.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Parachute Underwear posted:

Satanic Satanist is a bit warped I think... it was a combined order with a set of headphones so Amazon shipped everything in a big box rather than in their special LP packaging. There's about one quadrant of it that undulates when it plays. It sounds perfectly fine to my ears, though. Is this normal? If not, is there a way to fix it or should I just return it?

Anyway, pretty stoked. Now I'm only missing Waiter: "You Vultures!" and Censored Colors.

Were these expensive? I wanted to pick up some Portugal: the Man albums but I remember seeing that several were small presses and one in particular was going for 100 dollars.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
My band just announced our newest 7" today. The artwork is absolutely stunning:

And it comes on pure white vinyl that looks like this:

I posted our orange Sun Ray EP from last year and a few of you guys jumped on it (thanks again!). If you like experimental pop (we've been referenced as "Grizzly Bear Collective"), you can stream the song and pre-order it from here (should ship early next month):
http://gold-robot.com/records/index.php?/project/grr025-conveyor-7/

Our first full-length LP comes out this June! :)

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Were these expensive? I wanted to pick up some Portugal: the Man albums but I remember seeing that several were small presses and one in particular was going for 100 dollars.

I bought 2 from my local shop, but EVR has 3 of them in stock at $14.99: http://equalvision.merchnow.com/catalogs/portugal-the-man

The ones that Amazon has in stock are about $19.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

1000 umbrellas posted:

I posted our orange Sun Ray EP from last year and a few of you guys jumped on it (thanks again!). If you like experimental pop (we've been referenced as "Grizzly Bear Collective"), you can stream the song and pre-order it from here (should ship early next month):
http://gold-robot.com/records/index.php?/project/grr025-conveyor-7/

Our first full-length LP comes out this June! :)

This is just fantastic. Really beautiful track there, and I ordered before it was even finished. Looking forward to hearing more from you guys. :)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I bought 2 from my local shop, but EVR has 3 of them in stock at $14.99: http://equalvision.merchnow.com/catalogs/portugal-the-man

The ones that Amazon has in stock are about $19.

Thanks. If I were only to buy one of their albums (at the moment) which would you recommend?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Thanks. If I were only to buy one of their albums (at the moment) which would you recommend?

I dunno, they're all over the place. My absolute favourite is Satanic Satanist but In the Mountain, In the Cloud is also really solid. They're more poppy, I guess, but if you like a southern tinge to your music, Church Mouth is hands-down the best.

Well, that probably didn't help at all!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I dunno, they're all over the place. My absolute favourite is Satanic Satanist but In the Mountain, In the Cloud is also really solid. They're more poppy, I guess, but if you like a southern tinge to your music, Church Mouth is hands-down the best.

Well, that probably didn't help at all!

I was already leaning towards In the Mountain Cloud. I was pretty much wondering if they have any specific album that's like "If you don't like this, you're not going to get into this band".

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I was already leaning towards In the Mountain Cloud. I was pretty much wondering if they have any specific album that's like "If you don't like this, you're not going to get into this band".

If you like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Ukb8kGZkI, get Church Mouth.

If you like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J8d18ZkXE8&ob=av2e, Get Mountain/Cloud.

If you like neither, you probably won't like this band. Band owns though, and while it's not necessarily intricate packaging, their LPs always have sweet artwork.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Holy lol this Discogs seller:

http://www.discogs.com/seller/Belovedcollectsmusic

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007

Both of my copies of Satanic Satanist from Amazon were warped. That was the only bad experience I've had with vinyl from Amazon.

Edit: I sent them both back. The warping was too much.
Edit 2: Just purchased Satanic Satanist, Censored Colors, and American Ghetto from Equal Vision for $50.

thebigpicture fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 4, 2012

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

1000 umbrellas posted:

Just bought one. The track is really good. Definitely gonna pick up that full length when it comes out too.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dflanny posted:

Holy lol this Discogs seller:

http://www.discogs.com/seller/Belovedcollectsmusic

Yes, I would love to purchase albums that I can get for like, $20 tops off of Amazon for upwards of $70. Thank you, Belovedcollectsmusic.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yes, I would love to purchase albums that I can get for like, $20 tops off of Amazon for upwards of $70. Thank you, Belovedcollectsmusic.

I discovered him when I noticed he was selling a copy of Mellon Collie for the bargain price of $2099. He's selling some CocoRosie 7" for $400 that someone else is for £3.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Read the feedback. Prices like that should at least guarantee you get the correct album.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

This is just fantastic. Really beautiful track there, and I ordered before it was even finished. Looking forward to hearing more from you guys. :)

Ordered this!

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Cheers guys! Having heard the test pressings already, I can say that the single sounds great.

I'll keep you posted on our full-length; it should see a vinyl release in late June. Thanks for the support!

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

New Mount Eerie - "To the Ground" 7" preorder is up here: http://www.atelierciseaux.com/shop.php?lang=en

300 copies only. I love this song - it was on a Japan benefit last year, but I think this is a re-recorded new version based on the sample at the interview over here: http://en.blogotheque.net/2012/04/02/to-the-ground-listen-to-mount-eeries-new-7/

Getting really excited about all the new Mount Eerie stuff coming out this year. Phil does the best vinyl releases of his own stuff.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

1000 umbrellas posted:

Cheers guys! Having heard the test pressings already, I can say that the single sounds great.

I'll keep you posted on our full-length; it should see a vinyl release in late June. Thanks for the support!

Ordered as well, love it!

I got the two Protomen albums last week, fun stuff :) The chiptune remix one look drat cool haha.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Does everyone use Discogs? I really like it - it's the best way I know to track and organize my collection. I also like when folks share on here - it's like if I go to someone's home who has records and immediately have to browse their collection. I'd be interested in seeing some of ya'll's collections on here.

Mine: http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=Floodixor

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Floodixor posted:

Does everyone use Discogs? I really like it - it's the best way I know to track and organize my collection. I also like when folks share on here - it's like if I go to someone's home who has records and immediately have to browse their collection. I'd be interested in seeing some of ya'll's collections on here.

Here's mine:

http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=surfingelectrode&sort=artist%2Casc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Floodixor posted:

Here's me. http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=j.fenris