Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

JehovahsWetness posted:

That Soul Generation LP is solid 70's sweet soul that's not too common, and a good price for an OG. I know there's not many soul collectors here, but still.

Yeah I've seen it before, but this is as close to mint as you're going to find for this guy. Great record too, really love the sound they got on there

I'll be listing more rare soul stuff as I find it, my boxes are all out of order from a move, but I plan to thin out most of the rarer stuff on discogs, so keep an eye on there if you see things you kind of like, more similar stuff to come soon.

Edit: also sorry to ask this again, but the post keeps changing their rates. What do you guys charge (or what is fair to pay) for shipping? Right now I'm asking 9 for priority domestic, but I had a couple people cancel orders because it's too high. I feel like much less than that and I'm eating shipping just on postage and packaging alone

reichsten fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

JohnnyMondo posted:

I'll be listing more rare soul stuff as I find it, my boxes are all out of order from a move, but I plan to thin out most of the rarer stuff on discogs, so keep an eye on there if you see things you kind of like, more similar stuff to come soon.

I'll keep an eye on it, I don't think I've bought a decent soul LP in months. (Also interested in any soul/funk 45s, private/out jazz, etc.)
e: Argh, I wished discogs had a way to subscribe to a seller's list so I'd get notifications. Do a set sale list here 'cause I'm super dumb/lazy and will forget to check your discogs list?

quote:

Edit: also sorry to ask this again, but the post keeps changing their rates. What do you guys charge (or what is fair to pay) for shipping? Right now I'm asking 9 for priority domestic, but I had a couple people cancel orders because it's too high. I feel like much less than that and I'm eating shipping just on postage and packaging alone

US:
$4 LP Media
$7 LP Priority
$3.50 45 1st Class
$6 45 Priority

Int:
$14 LP 1st Class Int
$7.50 45 1st Class Int

I think I've only ever sent like 3 records out of hundreds via domestic Priority since everyone just expects/accepts Media Mail pricing. Really, Priority Mail in the US isn't much faster than Media in my experience and nobody ever bothers w/ it when they buy from me. If you want tracking just slap Delivery Confirmation on top of Media Mail.

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 7, 2012

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Grabbed one of these for $12. The seller appears to have a bunch of them, new, if anyone was looking for it. It came back in stock on the Ghostly site for $18 (distributor return?). Limited to 500 copies. Hope the PVC bag isn't as folded as in the ebay pic. Love that color.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ghostly-International-Com-Truise-Fairlight-12-Vinyl-Record-Orange-NEW-/230757272116

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 7, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

cheapandugly posted:

Sweet, thanks for the heads up. I've always been really fond of Nirvana, and In Utero has strong sentimental value to me.

Hearing "Rape Me" always takes me right back to my childhood.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Hearing "Rape Me" always takes me right back to my childhood.

Actually, it does. I got the album on tape shortly after it came out (me being 7ish at the time).

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

JehovahsWetness posted:

I think I've only ever sent like 3 records out of hundreds via domestic Priority since everyone just expects/accepts Media Mail pricing. Really, Priority Mail in the US isn't much faster than Media in my experience and nobody ever bothers w/ it when they buy from me. If you want tracking just slap Delivery Confirmation on top of Media Mail.

Most people are lazy (me) and don't want to go to the post office. With priority they will pick up for you. I wish they did that with media.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JehovahsWetness posted:

From my experience (and from what a postal worker actually told me) people spend the extra money for priority because is risky with shipping records. Priority mail involves much less handling of the package and media mail involves a bunch of poo poo getting slammed around. I don't often send out records, but when I do I absolutely do not send them media mail. I'm sure plenty of you have had no issues with it, but I prefer not to take the risk. Same goes for when I buy them, although I notice a number of sites that sell LPs don't even offer media mail.

cheapandugly posted:

Actually, it does. I got the album on tape shortly after it came out (me being 7ish at the time).

All joking aside, me too. I vividly remember my brother convincing my mom to buy him the tape right when that came out. He played it in the car on the way home and when Rape Me came on my mother flipped the gently caress out. I was about the same age as you which would have put my brother at 11 or 12. Good times.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 7, 2012

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

JehovahsWetness posted:

I'll keep an eye on it, I don't think I've bought a decent soul LP in months. (Also interested in any soul/funk 45s, private/out jazz, etc.)
e: Argh, I wished discogs had a way to subscribe to a seller's list so I'd get notifications. Do a set sale list here 'cause I'm super dumb/lazy and will forget to check your discogs list?

I'll let you know when I post more soul stuff. I have some 45s that may be up your alley, so I'll maybe just put a list in here before I put it up there.

Thanks for the pricing, that's perfect.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

From my experience (and from what a postal worker actually told me) people spend the extra money for priority because is risky with shipping records. Priority mail involves much less handling of the package and media mail involves a bunch of poo poo getting slammed around. I don't often send out records, but when I do I absolutely do not send them media mail. I'm sure plenty of you have had no issues with it, but I prefer not to take the risk. Same goes for when I buy them, although I notice a number of sites that sell LPs don't even offer media mail.

I've been buying records online for years and have never had problems with media mail. I just like getting priority sometimes when the extra cost is negligible because I hate waiting for stuff to come in.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Surfingelectrode posted:

I've been buying records online for years and have never had problems with media mail. I just like getting priority sometimes when the extra cost is negligible because I hate waiting for stuff to come in.

Ditto. I think it really comes down to how well you package the record. I've had just as many priority boxes be banged up as I've received banged up media mail boxes. As long as you get a proper record box, put the record between some cardboard (with some bubble sheet) and you're golden.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Blendy posted:

Ditto. I think it really comes down to how well you package the record. I've had just as many priority boxes be banged up as I've received banged up media mail boxes. As long as you get a proper record box, put the record between some cardboard (with some bubble sheet) and you're golden.

Ah word, didn't realize you bought that Soul Generation. Good buy! I invoiced you 9 for priority shipping, so I just sent you back 5 and I'll ship it media mail.

Thanks du

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So Invada tweeted that there will a be very limited mega box set (presumably on vinyl) for the new Geoff Barrow project DROKK (of which they just released the first track) and I'm... really excited for it.

Seriously, listen to that. It's like the soundtrack for The Thing and Sorcerer had a baby. It rules, and this one song has immediately sold me on the project.

But then again, they said an announcement for the box set will be up "soon". And we (don't) know what that means. :rolleye:

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

CPL593H posted:

From my experience (and from what a postal worker actually told me) people spend the extra money for priority because is risky with shipping records. Priority mail involves much less handling of the package and media mail involves a bunch of poo poo getting slammed around.

I used to work as a mail handler in a USPS Processing and Distribution Center, and I can tell you that this is inaccurate. All mail, regardless of type, enters the P&DC and gets dumped onto a conveyor belt, where mail handlers separate it out by class, size, etc. Everything from bulk rate (junk mail) to registered mail is getting dumped together and tossed into different bins.

Priority Mail and Media Mail only really differ in that Priority Mail has a deadline every night where it has to be fully sorted by zip code so that it can make the appropriate truck that will take it to the part of the country it needs to go to. Media Mail doesn't have that deadline, so it tends to sit around for whatever period of time it takes to either get around to it, or to fill up the bin/hamper/cage that's being used to hold it.

As overall mail volume has dropped in the last 10-15 years, Media Mail has gotten a lot faster, since there's more time to get around to it.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

JohnnyMondo posted:

Ah word, didn't realize you bought that Soul Generation. Good buy! I invoiced you 9 for priority shipping, so I just sent you back 5 and I'll ship it media mail.

Thanks du

Cool thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I'm trying to grow my soul collection. As you can see from what I've put up on my discogs I have like zero. That's not totally true since I have some Numero stuff I haven't put up yet but I'm in need of growing it.

Suggestions welcome, you guys.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Blendy posted:

Cool thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I'm trying to grow my soul collection. As you can see from what I've put up on my discogs I have like zero. That's not totally true since I have some Numero stuff I haven't put up yet but I'm in need of growing it.

Suggestions welcome, you guys.

If you like the lush sweet soul sound, the Philly Soul label is pretty much all solid, up until like the mid-70's. I love all that lush Gamble and Huff strings and vocal harmonies. I'll go through my 45's and I can put together some cheap "sampler" packs for you soon if you want

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah, I'd totally be down for that and I'll start poking around the net listening to stuff from the Philly Soul label.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Seriously, listen to that. It's like the soundtrack for The Thing and Sorcerer had a baby. It rules, and this one song has immediately sold me on the project.

Oooh thats pretty drat good.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Oooh thats pretty drat good.

Here's two more songs (3 months old and I don't know if they'll be on the album, but they're from the same project):

Justice One and Exhale.

I love this so much.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

chime_on posted:

I used to work as a mail handler in a USPS Processing and Distribution Center, and I can tell you that this is inaccurate. All mail, regardless of type, enters the P&DC and gets dumped onto a conveyor belt, where mail handlers separate it out by class, size, etc. Everything from bulk rate (junk mail) to registered mail is getting dumped together and tossed into different bins.

Priority Mail and Media Mail only really differ in that Priority Mail has a deadline every night where it has to be fully sorted by zip code so that it can make the appropriate truck that will take it to the part of the country it needs to go to. Media Mail doesn't have that deadline, so it tends to sit around for whatever period of time it takes to either get around to it, or to fill up the bin/hamper/cage that's being used to hold it.

As overall mail volume has dropped in the last 10-15 years, Media Mail has gotten a lot faster, since there's more time to get around to it.

This makes me wonder if that guy I talked to at the post office fed me a line of bullshit so I'd pay a few more dollars.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

My dad has just given me his and my mum's old record collection -- about 300 records in total. This is the highlight:

Complete Beatles discography including all of their singles released here in the UK, and every pre-1990 Dylan album worth owning. Also includes ALL of the Beatles' solo records and most of the records put out by The Who, The Kinks, The Jam, CCR, Bowie, early Elton John, Bob Marley... it goes on

Today is a good day. :)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Here's two more songs (3 months old and I don't know if they'll be on the album, but they're from the same project):

Justice One and Exhale.

I love this so much.

Whoa these are so good. I hope there is a normal edition release in the States.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Umbriago posted:

My dad has just given me his and my mum's old record collection -- about 300 records in total. This is the highlight:

Complete Beatles discography including all of their singles released here in the UK, and every pre-1990 Dylan album worth owning. Also includes ALL of the Beatles' solo records and most of the records put out by The Who, The Kinks, The Jam, CCR, Bowie, early Elton John, Bob Marley... it goes on

Holy wow, that's some awesome poo poo right there.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

Umbriago posted:

Looks like they're in good shape too. It's like being born into an awesome LP starter pack.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Umbriago posted:

Jesus. You lucked out.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I just picked up the reissue of Boris - Absolutego+. Quite stoked.

I got lucky I guess and snagged one of the 1000 red vinyl reissues.

[editline]9th April 2012[/editline]

it is a bit weird to listen to drone on vinyl, and especially this cause it's supposed to be one song. Also, it looks so weird having no separator grooves

narujoe
Feb 16, 2012
I just recently got into vinyl, and I was wondering what it means when a seller says the record has no bar code? I'm pretty sure it means its an original/not reissue, but I'm not too sure, which is why I'm asking you guys.

Bone Machine
Sep 28, 2005

kid, Don't matter what you did. Walk on your tip toes, Don't try "No Doz", Better stay away from those That carry around a fire hose. Keep a

Umbriago posted:

Is there honestly not a copy of Blonde on Blonde in there?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

narujoe posted:

I just recently got into vinyl, and I was wondering what it means when a seller says the record has no bar code? I'm pretty sure it means its an original/not reissue, but I'm not too sure, which is why I'm asking you guys.

Your assumption is correct. It's just a roundabout way of saying it's an original pressing. Records didn't have barcodes on the covers until sometime in the late 70s. The cover of Devo's second album, Duty Now for the Future, was a parody of that new trend.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Bone Machine posted:

You're right! It's at my mum's house, along with Bringing it all Back Home and Abbey Road. We can't find the White Album anywhere though. It's mysteriously vanished...

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Bone Machine posted:

Beat me by 2 posts.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I believe it's been mentioned before, but I not so magically lost track of this thread because I slacked off into real life and catching up was painful, sooooo ...

Is there a definitive answer on the audio quality between say a 7" cut at 45rpm and a 7" at 33 rpm?

I hear some people say that they absolutely hear a difference, and others say unless they were told they wouldn't hear anything off between the two?

My take is that there might be a difference, but it takes some pristine equipment and an optimal listening environment to make a difference.

Opinion? Thoughts?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah. Glad to hear it. Will consider making a scum-punk thread, then.

Yeah, go for it.

I haven't been buying records lately but in the past three weeks pretty much all I've listened to is Soccer Hoolys and Cosmic Psychos. Soccer Hoolys is such an out of this world band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyG7GKWHmiA

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

Your assumption is correct. It's just a roundabout way of saying it's an original pressing. Records didn't have barcodes on the covers until sometime in the late 70s. The cover of Devo's second album, Duty Now for the Future, was a parody of that new trend.

That album is way underrated. Are We Not Men? is a classic, but Duty Now just feels more DEVO. It's probably my favorite album of theirs.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Insound is doing their yearly gauntlet of genre-based discounts, and this week it's electronic essentials. Got my copy of Silent Shout for $15 plus shipping :3:

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Went to the record shop today and spent money.

Got to buy myself a record player for all of these things... don't even know where to start!

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
Popmarket has a deal up for The White Stripes:

first 3 albums and a double live album, 180gram, $54, facebook10 code for 10% off

http://www.popmarket.com/details/26770475

narujoe
Feb 16, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Well, the album I'm looking at is from 84 (Zen Arcade), and it still says no bar code on it. I'm thinking the label (SST) might have been small enough to have not started to follow that trend, would I be right on this assumption?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

narujoe posted:

Well, the album I'm looking at is from 84 (Zen Arcade), and it still says no bar code on it. I'm thinking the label (SST) might have been small enough to have not started to follow that trend, would I be right on this assumption?

Flipper also parodied that by putting a fake barcode on the front cover of their Generic Album. Punk labels generally don't put barcodes on their record covers.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

thebigpicture posted:

Popmarket has a deal up for The White Stripes:

first 3 albums and a double live album, 180gram, $54, facebook10 code for 10% off

http://www.popmarket.com/details/26770475

Want want want, but bank account says no. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Just got my NIN Pretty Hate Machine remaster from the BestBuy sale.. horrible loving ring on the sleeve from storage. Glad it was like $4. Never buying from BestBuy again.. not one of the albums they sent me wasn't damaged.