Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

If anyone still needs these...

https://twitter.com/MotherToEarthMV/status/1280930762938814466

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
My mild dislike of jazz may be showing through in regards to my thoughts on Chuck Mangione. I blame it all on having to suffer though not one, but two live jazz odysseys in my youth. That and the real deep grapevine, take with a mountain of salt, rumor I've heard is that his sister Jo is a more talented musician but papa Mangione only wanted to put the effort into helping the boys have a music career. Again, that could just entirely be bullshit town gossip, it's totally unsubstantiated. But...

pwn posted:

Well grab some for me, because I never see any and I’d like a bit of the ‘gione in my collection.

if you're dead serious about this pwn I can take a look when thrift stores aren't total poo poo around here. Which may be a while given the current situation.

And gently caress if I didn't just get a pile of video game soundtracks thanks to Ballz epic page snipe with Ship to Shore's current sale. I'll finally have the Gradius 3 soundtrack! And I pre-ordered Wai Wai World even though it isn't part of the sale.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

JAMOOOL posted:

good news, Drag City has repressed the Yellow River Boys LP

https://www.dragcity.com/products/urinal-st-station

if you don't know, it's a blues rock album by Tim Heidecker & Gregg Turkington in which nearly all of the songs are about drinkin' piss, outside of "Mr. Mudd" (I'll let you guess what that one's about). it's seriously great. on yellow vinyl, of course. been looking for this for a long time!!!

Is some limited edition thing?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Turbinosamente posted:

My mild dislike of jazz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prMvLesbff0

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

JAMOOOL posted:

if you don't know, it's a blues rock album by Tim Heidecker & Gregg Turkington in which nearly all of the songs are about drinkin' piss, outside of "Mr. Mudd" (I'll let you guess what that one's about). it's seriously great. on yellow vinyl, of course. been looking for this for a long time!!!

in other news, I just spent a ton of cash on discogs to get a copy of Denki Groove's VOXXX, way more than I ever wanna pay for a record (nearly $80 after shipping) but I have wanted this for like 15 years

You had me at Tim Heidecker piss LP

Turbinosamente posted:

if you're dead serious about this pwn I can take a look when thrift stores aren't total poo poo around here. Which may be a while given the current situation.

Absolutely, if you have access to inexpensive Mangione records (that aren’t falling apart) I would buy a few of them.

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 9, 2020

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

At least this does something.... interesting. My first thought when I think of jazz is generic noodling like this if it were extended to 15 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdqYEiRBI1Y

Something more fun to play than it is to listen to. Which isn't true of the genre as a whole I know it's just my skewed view of things.

pwn posted:

Absolutely, if you have access to inexpensive Mangione records (that aren’t falling apart) I would buy a few of them.

I'll keep an eye out when I'm out and about, gives me something more specific to look for than "anything cool." A mission can be fun!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

JAMOOOL posted:

If you haven't heard this album yet, urine for a treat.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Turbinosamente posted:

At least this does something.... interesting. My first thought when I think of jazz is generic noodling like this if it were extended to 15 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdqYEiRBI1Y

Something more fun to play than it is to listen to. Which isn't true of the genre as a whole I know it's just my skewed view of things.

Oh for sure. I mean I definitely “don’t get” most free jazz, but that song I posted is hilarious and I love it. The rest of that album isn’t quite as wild, but yeah there’s a lot more to jazz than guys with ponytails.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Heads up to Third Man Vault people, the De Stijl Anniversary package is about to ship.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Heads up to Third Man Vault people, the De Stijl Anniversary package is about to ship.

My friend and I both received notifications, and they got both of our first names wrong. Been a good bit of laughter. Such ribaldry!

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

pwn posted:

My friend and I both received notifications, and they got both of our first names wrong. Been a good bit of laughter. Such ribaldry!

The vault has renamed me to Shannon

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I got that too. As long as they get the thing to me they can call me whatever they want.

edit: I don't know what they renamed me.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ariel Pink is selling 3 test pressings of the his "kitchen sink" reissues

https://arielpink.bandcamp.com/

I already purchased the KS so i can't really justify (but i'm mentally trying damnit) it but if you're a collector and didn't buy in the reissues they're probably gold in the future. OR if you did and don't mind double dipping do whoever kid i'm not your mom.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 10, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The real Theory of Obscurity is how absolutely no record store in town got their copies of the new Residents album in today. :argh:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 10, 2020

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Well hello there. Feels good to finally find one of these after checking every one I came across for years.

A bunch of needle scratches on each side, but I can only hear them during the quiet parts and I only paid $15.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

The real Theory of Obscurity is how absolutely no record store in town got their copies of the new Residents album in today. :argh:

I hate to use you to do my legwork, but I think you're in my town so might as well ask: did any of the stores have an ETA?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

Well hello there. Feels good to finally find one of these after checking every one I came across for years.

A bunch of needle scratches on each side, but I can only hear them during the quiet parts and I only paid $15.

Is that the alternate mix?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

marjorie posted:

I hate to use you to do my legwork, but I think you're in my town so might as well ask: did any of the stores have an ETA?
Didn't hear anything about an ETA, only confusion (the woman at Music Millennium even exclaimed "We ordered those last month, where are they?!"). It's up on YouTube, though for some reason Midnight Man is cut off less than a minute into the song. I'm digging the poo poo outta all of it and I hope Sivian Lioncub's on the tour. Her vocals and violin fit in really well with the album.

EDIT: Amazon says their vinyl stash will be in stock on the 18th, I'd check the record stores again around then, I guess?

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 11, 2020

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Is that the alternate mix?

The original mix.

quote:

"When "Led Zeppelin II" was first released, legendary mastering engineer Robert Ludwig cut the lacquers using the master tape. The story goes that Atlantic founder Ahmet Ertegun gave a copy to his brother Nesuhi to give to his daughter. Her "kiddie" phonograph couldn't track the record, which had been cut with full dynamic range and bass response (the notion that vinyl can't do wide dynamic range or deep bass is a bunch of hooey).

The label panicked, and recalled the record, which was re-cut with less bass and lesser dynamics, which is the version cmost people bought. However, some "RL" mastered originals got into distribution and are "out there".

pwn
May 27, 2004

Dude got a hot stamper :wth:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Boinks posted:

The original mix.

Wow, I never knew that. And Atlantic never bothered to go back to it with any of their reissues in the last 50 years?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

The original mix.

That's what I mean I just didn't know how to phrase it. I kind of consider it an alternate mix just because the remix is the "official" version. Anyway, cool find.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ballz posted:

Wow, I never knew that. And Atlantic never bothered to go back to it with any of their reissues in the last 50 years?

No, but I think the recent remasters were approved by Jimmy Page? I haven't heard any of them.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Fat Possum is having a 30% off sale right now. The coupon FATPOSSUM20OFF stacks. I just picked up that George Mitchell box set that I have been eyeing for a while.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Pacific Breeze 2 order came in yesterday from LITA.

very nice release

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Ballz posted:

Well, it's incorrect to call it a separate mix, because it's the same mix, just a different master. And the things changed are the type of things you would change when mastering - adding compression and eq.

They could do a new issue from the original stampers if they still have them. But that's a big if. I don't know how more modern masters hold up.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

my little brother got me this as a belated birthday gift. pretty sweet bootleg.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

dorium posted:

The Good poo poo Pro Poster

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

dorium posted:

sweet mother of god i need that

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Schremp Howard posted:

sweet mother of god i need that

will you do everything you can?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Press start
Restart level until "giveitup giveitup giveitupupup" kicks in
Hold onto what you can
Pretend you're a superman

Your little brother did you a solid cause no one has any idea where the boot came from other than a guy in Portland selling 50 copies and someone in Brooklyn selling the other 50+ (more than the 100 the hype sticker claims) copies. They're getting stupid expensive already.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

dorium posted:

I want this but for SSX3

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I heard people moaning that they used the censored versions from the game, but surely that just adds to the nostalgia.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I'm hearing a lot of surface noise, I think this may be because I bought kind of a cheap cartridge/needle, it was $40 on amazon. my kids wrecked my other needle sadly

I assume getting a better needle would fix this ? anyone got any recs?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

EL BROMANCE posted:

I heard people moaning that they used the censored versions from the game, but surely that just adds to the nostalgia.

The music is cut like you’re playing the game. At the end of a track you’ll hear the countdown timer and skate wheels moving around and like a bail and oof from the player.its a dumb bootleg, but I appreciate what they’re going for with it.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
I remember the psx version (probably all of them) there were only a handful of tracks that were full length and not edited down to two minutes.
Police truck and Jerry was a Racecar Driver.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Now they just need to do one for Crazy Taxi.

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

pwn
May 27, 2004

Can we have one for SF Rush too. I require the Enter Name screen music on vinyl in order to Die Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3PNLYGX6JA

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Can we have one for SF Rush too. I require the Enter Name screen music on vinyl in order to Die Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3PNLYGX6JA

Put this on a locked runout groove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/L0u13/status/1282770360316751873?s=20

there's some video of the song transition, its like that for all of the transitions (menu music, bails, grinds)