Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratbones
May 15, 2009
Have any of you guys ever used a transcription service to digitize your vinyl? I'm starting up a small audio transcription business in my area soon, and I'm trying to get an idea whether or not it's something most enthusiasts would rather do themselves. I'm sure I'll be able to beat out pretty much every similar service in my area in price, and overhead will be pretty much nonexistent, so I'm not too worried about lean times. This is just going to be supplemental income. However, I would like to serve anyone who's interested, in my state or otherwise, so hopefully that will increase business. Any opinions?

Ratbones fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

thebigpicture posted:

Popmarket has a deal up for The White Stripes:

first 3 albums and a double live album, 180gram, $54, facebook10 code for 10% off

http://www.popmarket.com/details/26770475

Woke up, saw an email about this deal in my inbox. Already sold out : (

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Ratbones posted:

Have any of you guys ever used a transcription service to digitize your vinyl? I'm starting up a small audio transcription business in my area soon, and I'm trying to get an idea whether or not it's something most enthusiasts would rather do themselves. I'm sure I'll be able to beat out pretty much every similar service in my area in price, but I'd like to serve anyone who's interested. Any opinions?

I would imagine this would only work on Baby Boomers who don't know how to use iTunes. If I have an album that isn't available digitally I just digitize it myself, it's really easy.

Ratbones
May 15, 2009

alg posted:

I would imagine this would only work on Baby Boomers who don't know how to use iTunes. If I have an album that isn't available digitally I just digitize it myself, it's really easy.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I'm sure that old folks will be the majority of the demographic that would bother. I figure though that there must be some people out there that would like to transfer large portions of their collection to digital formats that don't want to deal with the hassle. I also plan to work on other audio recordings, restoring old family recordings and what not. There is a big market for family history stuff around here (Utah). Music is just funner than that naturally!

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Got this today:

It's Joe Preston's release from the series of solo EPs that the Melvins did back in 1992. All of the packaging matches that of the KISS solo albums from the 70's:

Got it sealed and End of an Ear even threw in a free slipmat. Can't wait to see the Melvins in two weeks.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Ratbones posted:

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I'm sure that old folks will be the majority of the demographic that would bother. I figure though that there must be some people out there that would like to transfer large portions of their collection to digital formats that don't want to deal with the hassle. I also plan to work on other audio recordings, restoring old family recordings and what not. There is a big market for family history stuff around here (Utah). Music is just funner than that naturally!

What's your setup? I do a lot of vinyl transfers for friends, and I'm curious what your system is that you're comfortable charging money for the transfer.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Surfingelectrode posted:

Got this today:

Hey, is that an Ikea shelf? I really need something like that, because my cat always wants to stand on my records, and I'm always like, "gently caress you, cat."

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Hey, is that an Ikea shelf? I really need something like that, because my cat always wants to stand on my records, and I'm always like, "gently caress you, cat."

Yeah, it's a 4x2 Expedit. They're really nice/cheap.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Target has something similar in their storage aisle if you don't live near Ikea :shobon:

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Holy poo poo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-White-Limited-Edition-Flexi-Disc-/320884419223?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4ab633aa97#ht_500wt_1413

This family is going to make so much loving money off of this. Look at how many they have:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Holy poo poo. How many of those did they send off? If they're going for over a grand, I can only imagine what the liquid-filled disc will go for. drat.

Ps. thanks for the shelf name. Gonna look into it.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Jack White hates when people re-sell his stuff on Ebay for big bucks, but I don't know what else he would expect with this balloon promotion. Especially since that guy got so many.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Surfingelectrode posted:

Holy poo poo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-White-Limited-Edition-Flexi-Disc-/320884419223?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4ab633aa97#ht_500wt_1413

This family is going to make so much loving money off of this. Look at how many they have:

Wow, gently caress them.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Holy poo poo. How many of those did they send off? If they're going for over a grand, I can only imagine what the liquid-filled disc will go for. drat.

Ps. thanks for the shelf name. Gonna look into it.

There's a page on Third Man's site about the launch and there were 1000 of these, but they also said when similar balloon launches were done by other people only 10% of them were recovered. So it's entirely possible that a lot of these will never be found or just landed in the ocean. They also have a map that shows you where they've been found so far. I linked it a few pages ago.

edit: This is it http://thirdmanrecords.com/balloon

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 11, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Wow, gently caress them.

I find it incredibly difficult to blame them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I find it incredibly difficult to blame them.

I find price gouging to be the absolute worst thing about record collecting and I pretty strongly resent anyone who does it. But I'm also aware that if they were selling these to true fans for reasonable prices some oval office would just turn around and do the same thing. I've been wondering if years down the road when a lot of the hype dies will a lot of these special Third Man novelty releases be much less valuable.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
So the store I work at bought a shitload (6-7,000) of records from the widow of a collector who had a connection at Warner Bros from about 1974-1980 based on what I've seen so far. What that means is there are a poo poo ton of test pressings of some good stuff like Neil Young, Frank Zappa, Ramones, Sex Pistols, Devo, Gang of Four, Leonard Cohen, Talking Heads, Dead Boys, etc. as well as some questionably desirable titles (70s Beach Boys, so-so Allman Bros albums, Arlo Guthrie, late original lineup Black Sabbath) and some stuff I can't imagine anyone being willing to pay decent money for (Keith Carradine, etc.). I started tossing some up on eBay in an attempt to recoup some of what we paid out if anyone is interested or just wants to see what some folks are willing to pay for test pressings.

There's also a bunch of private press, promo-only and audiophile records, and a lot of them are still sealed. There's basically a ton of varied stuff but the size of it all makes it a bit daunting, as well as the fact that it is all alphabetized in numbered boxes, but the boxes aren't in order, which makes digging to see if there's a specific record you want among them a pain in the rear end at this point.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I find price gouging to be the absolute worst thing about record collecting and I pretty strongly resent anyone who does it.
They started the auction at $150 AND they're keeping one for themselves. For a family who probably doesn't even know or care who Jack White is, what should they have done instead?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CPL593H posted:

I've been wondering if years down the road when a lot of the hype dies will a lot of these special Third Man novelty releases be much less valuable.

They're pogs for gullible idiots who might as well have a dayglo "CHUMP" on their forehead, and will be worth gently caress all one day. They're the future's novelty frisbee. There's basically no cultural/historical value in them and take advantage of manufactured rarity and people with disposable income who missed the point by a mile. Also:

quote:

I find price gouging to be the absolute worst thing about record collecting and I pretty strongly resent anyone who does it. But I'm also aware that if they were selling these to true fans...

Seriously?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

CPL593H posted:

Wow, gently caress them.

Misplaced anger much?

Seriously yeah the price gauging of records is lovely but as pointed out their listing price was $150 and the market is dictating the sale price. Want to complain then talk to Jack White about his bullshit.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

They started the auction at $150 AND they're keeping one for themselves. For a family who probably doesn't even know or care who Jack White is, what should they have done instead?

Starting the auction that high screams "greedy pricks". I suppose you can't blame them what with the frenzy around this poo poo. I admit they're less the problem and more the symptom. Were I to stumble upon that I would put effort into finding people who truely appreciate the record for with it is and want to have it for the music. Then I'd send them off for the cost of shipping. At the very most I might trade one to someone for another record. But I also realize that this is all naive and the world doesn't work that way.

JehovahsWetness posted:

They're pogs for gullible idiots who might as well have a dayglo "CHUMP" on their forehead, and will be worth gently caress all one day. They're the future's novelty frisbee. There's basically no cultural/historical value in them and take advantage of manufactured rarity and people with disposable income who missed the point by a mile. Also:

I strongly suspect this.

quote:

Seriously?

I wasn't trying to preach some hipster street cred bullshit. I just meant people who actually give a gently caress about the music instead of making as much money as they can on a trinket they don't care about or people who want it because "shiney thing!".

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Jack White released his single via balloon in Appalachia because he knew most of his fans live there.

Of course I e-hate a dude with a family selling some poo poo that landed in his yard on eBay to discogs types willing to pay $1k+ for a flexi-disc.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Dude might have listed it at $150 but it's been bid above $1200 by now, I'd say when compared to what people are willing to pay that was quite a generous starting bid.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Starting the auction that high screams "greedy pricks".

I have to call bullshit. Say you honestly found two of these and only wanted to keep one, what would you list it at? $10? Come on, stop getting upset because this dude got lucky and is able to flip some records and do something nice for his family with the money.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Blendy posted:

I have to call bullshit. Say you honestly found two of these and only wanted to keep one, what would you list it at? $10? Come on, stop getting upset because this dude got lucky and is able to flip some records and do something nice for his family with the money.

You should have read the rest of that paragraph. My initial response was very knee-jerk and I regret that.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah I read the rest of the paragraph. It doesn't negate your first sentence.

Content:

My Mount Eerie record showed up today and it sure is pretty.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

JehovahsWetness posted:

They're pogs for gullible idiots who might as well have a dayglo "CHUMP" on their forehead, and will be worth gently caress all one day. They're the future's novelty frisbee. There's basically no cultural/historical value in them and take advantage of manufactured rarity and people with disposable income who missed the point by a mile.

Maybe it was an April Fool's joke after all, on the people who inevitably spend a grand to buy a 15 cent flexi that probably plays like poo poo anyway. Not that the point is to play them.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 11, 2012

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

theradiostillsucks posted:

There's also a bunch of private press, promo-only and audiophile records, and a lot of them are still sealed.

Those test pressings are going to make a killing.

I've hit up Earshot in SC a bunch of times and I always got the distinct feeling that most good records don't get a chance on the racks and are just held for eBay. Any of this going to actually make it onto the floor? I was probably going to do a daytrip in the next week or so that would go through gville.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Ratbones posted:

Yeah if it's going to work anywhere in the world as a business then this is about the only place. I worked at Provo's Graywhale before it closed and a lot of older folks were constantly shocked that we even sold vinyl records, so I'm sure a few of those would like their dusty old collections to be catalogued.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

JehovahsWetness posted:

Those test pressings are going to make a killing.

I've hit up Earshot in SC a bunch of times and I always got the distinct feeling that most good records don't get a chance on the racks and are just held for eBay. Any of this going to actually make it onto the floor? I was probably going to do a daytrip in the next week or so that would go through gville.

Some of it will, the mindset around there is centered around the bottom line, so your impression is mostly correct. I routinely hand back stuff I'm given to list and suggest that we try it in store for a few months to see if anyone local is interested, but I think part of the deal with this lot is that they want to make back a significant portion of what was paid out as quickly as possible, particularly since they just spent a good chunk of money opening a new store in Charleston. (I have no idea how the vinyl pricing schemes go there and at the Winston Salem store, but those stores don't list on eBay as far as I know).

At the end of the day I wish the store was more like Lunchbox Records in Charlotte (run by a music lover and has a nice churn of good new and used product priced reasonably) as opposed to the way it is (owned by a slack dude who's been well off his whole life and only cares about the bottom line).

If you do stop by say "Road Rage" at the counter if you buy anything for a 10% discount from some radio ad they've been running.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
I have been wanting to get into starting a vinyl collection for a while now. I didn't take any action towards it until last week when I came across this for $60:

It's a 1959 Motorola console/turntable with original jensen speakers. It's in wonderful condition and has the manual and everything. I guess it was made to use in ballrooms and such, because the volume goes to 10 and it's way too loud past 1.5.

So this past week I've been record hunting and managed to come out with:

The Wall - Pink Floyd
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Like A Virgin - Madonna
Thriller - Michael Jackson
Reckoning - R.E.M
Abbey Road - The Beatles
In Rainbows - Radiohead
Who's Next - The Who
Some old Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, and Nat King Cole

and just a bunch of random albums by random artists. This has been one of the best weeks!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

g-c posted:

The Wall - Pink Floyd
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Like A Virgin - Madonna
Thriller - Michael Jackson
Reckoning - R.E.M
Abbey Road - The Beatles
In Rainbows - Radiohead
Who's Next - The Who
Some old Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, and Nat King Cole

and just a bunch of random albums by random artists. This has been one of the best weeks!

Yet no mention of the Love You album on top of the cabinet. I love that album, though it's their weirdest.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
A Big Black poster too? Where'd you get that?

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

big business sloth posted:

A Big Black poster too? Where'd you get that?
I have the same poster, I think it came with the Bulldozer EP?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
of course, the bulldozer EP is the one I don't have, excepting Lungs.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

big business sloth posted:

of course, the bulldozer EP is the one I don't have, excepting Lungs.
The poster isn't much to write home about, just a picture of some (mentally challenged?) old people. But the Bulldozer EP is very much worth owning.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
oh sure, I've heard bulldozer and it's good, probably more consistent than racer-x. but I want swag too, and there isn't much to be found online.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
The Big Black poster was given to me a few months ago.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Yet no mention of the Love You album on top of the cabinet. I love that album, though it's their weirdest.

There's a bunch of stuff I forgot to mention. I went from having 0 records last week to having 100+ today

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!
Just a heads up for any Black Rebel Motorcycle Club fans that may be reading this thread. They're releasing Howl on vinyl apparently for the first time outside of the UK. Yellow and brown heavyweight vinyl in a double gatefold sleeve. This is probably my favorite album of theirs and I've been looking for it for quite awhile. Never could could justify paying $100 plus for it though. http://www.blackrebelmotorcycleclub.com/preorder

Between this and The Avalanches reissue April is turning out to be a great month for my collection!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

alg posted:

I'm kind of interested to hear what people use in this regard. I'm thinking of getting into some record collecting since there's a few good used stores near me and I'd like to just start grabbing old eclectic stuff for cheap and giving it a spin. But I'd also like to digitize the stuff I like to have on my Ipod for when I travel (and to keep original records safe).

So a couple questions for anyone that digitizes:

1) thoughts on turntable -> preamp -> sound card versus just getting a USB turntable? I don't currently have anything so I'm leaning toward just going USB unless there's a general consensus that they are crap compared to a standard one.

2) Software? It sounds a little tedious to rip all as one file in something like Audacity and then manually edit it down to tracks. I see there's some software out there that claims to have track detection but I don't know if it's any good. There's also this Dak all-in-one type system with software out there, but the site looks fairly amateurish so I don't know if it's to be trusted.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

narujoe posted:

Well, the album I'm looking at is from 84 (Zen Arcade), and it still says no bar code on it. I'm thinking the label (SST) might have been small enough to have not started to follow that trend, would I be right on this assumption?

That LP has always been in print and has never had a bar code.