Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

This is why I love SA. Have never laughed so hard at my own expense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm not going to rake anyone through the coals for spending thousands of dollars in audio equipment, but I will now look at my entire lame set-up which I stole from either family or co-workers and sigh to myself sadly.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I dont care what your setup is, if you ain't using it to listen to Herb Alpert I got no respect for you.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Boinks posted:

I dont care what your setup is, if you ain't using it to listen to Herb Alpert I got no respect for you.
Sorry, I only have room in my heart for these albums:

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Boinks posted:

This is the only right answer.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

caligulamprey posted:

I'm not going to rake anyone through the coals for spending thousands of dollars in audio equipment, but I will now look at my entire lame set-up which I stole from either family or co-workers and sigh to myself sadly.

Look, the only reason I’m responding again when I planned on just ducking out is I hate to see this.

The last thing I want to do is make anyone ashamed of their own setup, but I also don’t think it’s fair or reasonable to ostracize those simply because they have a more expensive setup.

If “reading the room” means you’re “not allowed to play with us” if your system is worth over $x dollars I really wonder if this is a healthy community to begin with.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

No one cares about your setup dork!!!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hey I have a question about my setup. Would a Ortofon or Grado cart be better for it? Snagged it at a garage sale for $500, NM condition.

I really want to create the ultimate setup to listen to all 800 copies of Whipped Cream I bought at a storage auction of a closed record store. There were other records there, but I knew where the diamonds were.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

dorium posted:

Hey I have a question about my setup.

This is obviously missing the tonewood risers, I dunno what you were thinking.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Majin posted:

This is obviously missing the tonewood risers, I dunno what you were thinking.

Well, honestly I thought your first post was a troll. And I actually did make turntable risers out of my fathers old stereo cabinet because it was kinda ugly, I have no room for it, and its kinda a cool re purpose of the wood. My Technics https://ebay.us/BuJ4ga was too big to sit on my receiverhttps://hifiheaven.net/shop/Yamaha-R-N301-Network-Stereo-Receiver?language=en&currency=USD. And the record player is very sensitive to vibrations i.e. walking in front of the stereo. The offer still stands but I'll give you a goon special price of $300 + $20 shipped for a pair.

Edit:

In other news a bunch of records showed up that I had forgotten about so that was fun. I also got some hinge brackets for my TT but my dust cover is a different brand and they don't fit. Fuckin' dust covers are so expensive.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 9, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Boinks posted:

Man, the copies of Whipped Cream and Other Delights I could buy if I had five thousand dollars right now.

A man can dream though.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 9, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Here's a primer on the thread for those just joining us:

-You have to immediately tell us what you think of video game soundtracks and be prepared to vehemently argue with anyone who disagrees with whatever side you're on.

-Records cost more money than they use to and I complain about it constantly.

-Record Store Day sucks and we all hate but also everyone gets some poo poo from it every year.

-Caligulamprey really likes the Residents. Probably in a way that is not healthy.

-HERB loving ALPERT

-Records are pretty much bullshit and none of us like each other but we're also a bunch of losers and masochists so we keep buying records even though we don't even like it anymore and we keep talking about it even though every poster in this thread loving HATES life and each other.

-A lot of people like the Audio Technica AT-LP120. It's a good turntable.

-It is illegal for soundtrack albums for films, TV shows, and video games to have good cover art. If you see something with an acceptable design please report it to your local police department.

-And above all, always remember:

Welcome to the poo poo show!

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 9, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like CDs

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Majin posted:

Look, the only reason I’m responding again when I planned on just ducking out is I hate to see this.

The last thing I want to do is make anyone ashamed of their own setup, but I also don’t think it’s fair or reasonable to ostracize those simply because they have a more expensive setup.

If “reading the room” means you’re “not allowed to play with us” if your system is worth over $x dollars I really wonder if this is a healthy community to begin with.

When you asked for advice on whether the system you already bought would “work”, what did you mean? You said in a later post that you’ve set up home theaters before, so I assume you know that everything would plug into everything else and would “work”. Was there something else you were getting at?

What records do you have?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I am the resident Belle and Sebastian and Golden Boots fan.

Also there are several posters who actually put something new into the world and run or co-run labels. Including DisappointedOwl, who does extremely niche videogame soundtracks.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

BigFactory posted:

When you asked for advice on whether the system you already bought would “work”, what did you mean? You said in a later post that you’ve set up home theaters before, so I assume you know that everything would plug into everything else and would “work”. Was there something else you were getting at?

What records do you have?

I too have done a bunch of A/V stuff in my life, and it was daunting to learn about all this. Stylus and cartridge and turntable and pre-amp and amp and speakers, and grounding wires, and the tt has a built-in preamp but the seller modded it and it took a year between the time I bought all this crap until I finally had the confidence to get it all up and running.

What’s-his-name’s real mistake was taking the (admittedly a little rude) shitposting to heart and making it worse with big posts. Let’s all agree to move on? I’m fine with moving on.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

The record I ordered on the 28th arrived from Barcelona to Phoenix today. 12 days. I don't know what kind of black magic made this possible, especially in TYOOL 2020.

Spain seems to be a good bet for getting your poo poo quick. I ordered a record from Spain to the UK in the afternoon, and it arrived by 12pm the next day.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
how about them vinyls huh

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

I too have done a bunch of A/V stuff in my life, and it was daunting to learn about all this. Stylus and cartridge and turntable and pre-amp and amp and speakers, and grounding wires, and the tt has a built-in preamp but the seller modded it and it took a year between the time I bought all this crap until I finally had the confidence to get it all up and running.

What’s-his-name’s real mistake was taking the (admittedly a little rude) shitposting to heart and making it worse with big posts. Let’s all agree to move on? I’m fine with moving on.

I’d like to know what records he’s buying. That’s more interesting to me than a brand new stereo, although I would happily come over and listen to his stereo if offered

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Majin posted:

Hey can I have twenty dollars to buy a new record? you obviously seem to like spending money on dumb poo poo and I'm some of the dumbest poo poo you'll find.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Majin posted:

More than happy to chime in here since I’m apparently the fun topic for the week so far and have managed to ruffle some feathers, lol.

To be clear, my "snake oil" comment wasn't directed at you, I posted the episode after someone brought up a 13k cartridge and overpriced cables. The kind of poo poo they make fun of in the episode isn't high-end electronics, it's stuff like rocks that you're supposed to put in the same room as your setup to "improve the sound quality of the room." You know, snake oil.

E: Seriously, is there a copy of Whipped Cream and Other Delights in every record collection? There is in mine, and my collection's not huge!

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 9, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nikaer Drekin posted:

E: Seriously, is there a copy of Whipped Cream and Other Delights in every record collection? There is in mine, and my collection's not huge!

The lady is very pretty

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I don’t have a copy of Whipped Cream or Tubular Bells, and I feel like a fraud.

It’s weird how often Whipped Cream pops up in shops compared to Tubular Bells, given how much Tubular Bells sold. I would expect it in every dollar bin, and I rarely see it around here in NC.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Tubular Bells & Oxygene are two albums I have actually never seen in a used record store which is odd because they both sold a zillion copies

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If anyone hasn't heard Tubular Bells past what was used in The Exorcist absolutely pick up a copy, that poo poo is out of control.

JAMOOOL posted:

Tubular Bells & Oxygene are two albums I have actually never seen in a used record store which is odd because they both sold a zillion copies
My favorite thing about Jean Michele Jarre is that a huge chunk of his discography is rad as gently caress and every single one of them costs about $3 on average.

CPL593H posted:

-Caligulamprey really likes the Residents. Probably in a way that is not healthy.
I like to think that I have enough interests outside The Residents that makes me only slightly insufferable, but don't ask me to prove it.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 9, 2020

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Going full Weeaboo with the Perfume box set.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Majin posted:

You're lucky you didn't post a few years ago when there were significantly more thread misanthropes that endlessly bitched about how other people spend their money

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I look down on anyone who doesn't spend years piecing their system together from garage sale finds. :hehe:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Pretty sure my receiver is fried :(

It's old as hell so that's okay. Non-stop persistent grounding issues in one speaker, then literally no sound coming out. 95% sure it's not the speaker itself as it's unpowered.

And I finally got my Pile albums delivered poo poo sucks.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I have an Onkyo TX-8211 in my closet if anyone wants it. You pay shipping. I’m pretty sure it’s perfectly fine and I only replaced it because I bought a TV.

edit: shipping from SF CA USA FYR

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think I've only seen one copy of Tubular Bells in the wild that wasn't the recent reissue. I got my dad said reissue for Father's Day last year. It was a hit. He loves Tubular Bells and Mike Oldfield.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wa27 posted:

I look down on anyone who doesn't spend years piecing their system together from garage sale finds. :hehe:

Hell yeah

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

caligulamprey posted:

I like to think that I have enough interests outside The Residents that makes me only slightly insufferable, but don't ask me to prove it.

i dont think hardy fox counts as an outside interest in this case

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

:frogout:

wa27 posted:

When I got my speakers I actually got sold on the warranty thing. It wasn't much anyway. That was 2008 and I got them from Circuit City. Maybe they were the ones who should have bought a warranty from me!

The speakers are still going strong.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 9, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Someone dropped $5k+ on a beginner vinyl setup and none of you assholes even had the decency to offer our new friend a White Hot Stamper? The hell is wrong with all of you?

Edit: I have a white hot stamper (whs) of laugh tracks from the 50s. The people have been dead for decades, but their captivating laughs and claps mastered for television sound incredible as a white hot stamper. No you can't have it so don't even ask!

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 9, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

Someone dropped $5k+ on a beginner vinyl setup and none of you assholes even had the decency to offer our new friend a White Hot Stamper? The hell is wrong with all of you?

Excuse me but they're not a beginner when it comes to ~quality audio equipment~.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I bought 7 thousand dollar tweeters for my 97 corolla so I can hear the highs better, you just dont get it man

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Audiophile/music stuff rules because nowadays the difference in price between dogshit that lights on fire when plugged into a wall outlet and "hey this sounds really badass and has a lot of cool features" is like $100.

Most of my experience has been with guitar stuff and home recording (as well as some audiology stuff for school) but I am enjoying the hell out of my inexpensive mid range setup. I got my receiver and 5.1 speakers from an estate sale for $100. I forget the model but it's some onkyo. I got a little pro-ject solid state preamp in between that and my turntable is a pro-ject carbon that my sister and dad bought me as a joint gift for Christmas one year. It's apparently a pretty expensive turntable but I kinda wish I had that AT one that gets recommended here as my friend has it and I love the features. Oh well, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Well anyway, that setup sounds perfectly fine to me as I know throwing $4500 more into the setup isn't going to change the enjoyment of my dumb collection of black metal records. Hell, the only benefit an upgrade would have on my setup would be a convenience factor, not a ~tone~ factor.

So I didn't really look at the exact setup that dude linked but did it include anything that affects sound reflections etc? It would be funny to me if that expensive setup is going into a closet sized bay area apartment and sitting in an acoustic dead zone or right in front of the speakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

So I didn't really look at the exact setup that dude linked but did it include anything that affects sound reflections etc? It would be funny to me if that expensive setup is going into a closet sized bay area apartment and sitting in an acoustic dead zone or right in front of the speakers

No it’s all really nice stuff, but I don’t know if someone would automatically double blind choose it over a ~$1,000 kit, but a lot of it is visual aesthetics too. For me I would absolutely not spend that kind of money on speakers I couldn’t demo first, but that’s not easy to do this year. I don’t always love Klipsch, either, so I’d extra want to listen to them first. They’re probably really nice speakers though.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 9, 2020