Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Oh man, I clicked the link to see where the balloons have landed.....they are local to me!!!! If I wasn't married, with a full time job, was a college student, and didn't have two kids, I'd spend all of my free time hunting for them.(Just because I like doing stupid stuff(like getting married and having kids)).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How much would a Jack White flexi disc ltd to 1000 be worth if it wasn't attached to a balloon? Buying something like that for 1000's of dollars has to be one of the worst investments I have ever heard of.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm kind of interested to hear what people use in this regard. I'm thinking of getting into some record collecting since there's a few good used stores near me and I'd like to just start grabbing old eclectic stuff for cheap and giving it a spin. But I'd also like to digitize the stuff I like to have on my Ipod for when I travel (and to keep original records safe).

So a couple questions for anyone that digitizes:

1) thoughts on turntable -> preamp -> sound card versus just getting a USB turntable? I don't currently have anything so I'm leaning toward just going USB unless there's a general consensus that they are crap compared to a standard one.

2) Software? It sounds a little tedious to rip all as one file in something like Audacity and then manually edit it down to tracks. I see there's some software out there that claims to have track detection but I don't know if it's any good. There's also this Dak all-in-one type system with software out there, but the site looks fairly amateurish so I don't know if it's to be trusted.

Any thoughts appreciated.
While I generally try to steer people towards the line-in to sound card route, I do it because of the quality of a good receiver and speakers, so I don't think it's worth buying a preamp specifically for ripping. If you're getting a setup specifically for USB, I don't know of any specific disadvantage against it, especially since I've found line-in quality to be a crapshoot anyhow.

As for editing, I just use audacity. Like you said, there is software out there, but if, say, a song has a small rest it'll split it like a separate track, and live albums are worthless that way. Not to mention some surface noise could throw off silence detection. I'm not speaking from experience but Audacity's not that bad once you get in the habit (hint, ctrl+b allows you to set labels, then you can export based on that)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Farts Domino posted:

While I generally try to steer people towards the line-in to sound card route, I do it because of the quality of a good receiver and speakers, so I don't think it's worth buying a preamp specifically for ripping. If you're getting a setup specifically for USB, I don't know of any specific disadvantage against it, especially since I've found line-in quality to be a crapshoot anyhow.

As for editing, I just use audacity. Like you said, there is software out there, but if, say, a song has a small rest it'll split it like a separate track, and live albums are worthless that way. Not to mention some surface noise could throw off silence detection. I'm not speaking from experience but Audacity's not that bad once you get in the habit (hint, ctrl+b allows you to set labels, then you can export based on that)

If you plan on making them into CDs the burning software might also allow you to split the track however you want. I used to do this with Nero. I guess that's kind of a moot point if you're just making it for an ipod though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

NESguerilla posted:

How much would a Jack White flexi disc ltd to 1000 be worth if it wasn't attached to a balloon? Buying something like that for 1000's of dollars has to be one of the worst investments I have ever heard of.

You didn't factor in Air Miles.

Ratbones
May 15, 2009

MokBa posted:

Yeah if it's going to work anywhere in the world as a business then this is about the only place. I worked at Provo's Graywhale before it closed and a lot of older folks were constantly shocked that we even sold vinyl records, so I'm sure a few of those would like their dusty old collections to be catalogued.

What's up Utah county dude?

JohnnyMondo posted:

setup question

I've got a fairly basic setup at the moment; Technics table, a decent solid-state pre-amp straight to the inputs of a Zoom H4N for the actual recording. It works out really well. That's what I'm using for my personal stuff and I'm happy with the results.

For this small business, though, I'm going to put together a more professional setup. I plan to invest in a couple really nice turntables, some different pre-amps (both solid-state and tube) etc., such that people who might otherwise be capable and willing to digitize their collection themselves may be interested in making use of a setup they might not be able to justify buying themselves. I want to provide a really flexible, customizable service.

I do anticipate that restoring old family history stuff will be the most popular request however.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
For those of you that pre-ordered my 7" from last week, the b-side dropped today if you're interested in hearing it:

http://t.co/ygnqt0Tb

It's still up for pre-order here, if you're catching this for the first time:
http://gold-robot.com/records/index.php?/project/grr025-conveyor-7/

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Basically all my records are still in storage, so the last while I've been avoiding buying records unless they cost less than a dollar. Albeit I've still managed to find some stuff that tickles my fancy. I think all these cost me less than 2 bucks. I know I have a reissued copy of Songs of Innocence with the original trippy artwork cover somewhere in storage I'll have to fish out now.

My only new vinyl fix has been my Volcom Vinyl Club which I've subscribed to a few times and always been pleased with, so far got a great Melvins 7" split and the new release is Kurt Vile 7" split with Wino.
I wish SubPop would get back on the singles club, I got the 2008 series back in the day and it was tons of fun.

Faxbart
Sep 13, 2005

Leave 4514 disabled. It's a stupid warning anyway.

g-c posted:

It's a 1959 Motorola console/turntable with original jensen speakers. It's in wonderful condition and has the manual and everything. I guess it was made to use in ballrooms and such, because the volume goes to 10 and it's way too loud past 1.5.

Gotta be careful with these old players. Check that the needle is still good and NOT on the 78 setting. Even then, sometimes the arm is really heavy and could press too hard on less resilient records. Also check that the volume control potentiometer isn't busted or corroded (clean with rubbing alcohol), which could explain why 1.5 is too loud. Then again these old units can BLAST out sound. I can't even use my old 60's Victrola without annoying neighbours.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are any of these albums good? They're super cheap right now.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

1000 umbrellas posted:

For those of you that pre-ordered my 7" from last week, the b-side dropped today if you're interested in hearing it:

I would be all over this but I'm having to save my money at the moment (yay unemployment!) if I have any hopes on picking something up on record store day. Though I will say to anyone thinking of getting this I got the Sun Ray EP and it was really well produced and nicely presented so definitely worth a look.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

is this new because god drat

http://www.theprp.com/2012/04/11/news/at-the-drive-in-to-re-release-relationship-of-command-more-reunion-show-footage-available/

relationship of command being re-pressed

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Yoshifan823 posted:

Icons Abstract Thee is a pretty good album. It's also depressing as hell, but hey, it still has some great pop sensibilities. And 3 bucks? Well, it's 3 bucks more than I got it for (oh, the joys of College Radio...).

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

They're all backordered :\

EDIT: Also $17 to ship 9 LPs :\

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 12, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yoshifan823 posted:

Decibully, Aloha, Asobi Seksu and Owen are all definitely worth the price.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I got another player for free on Easter, from my uncle (it was originally my dad's I guess, so I'm the rightful heir), and after ordering a new tonearm end (because the one it had was old and had this annoying brush on it that messed with things too much), it works pretty well, but it skips sometimes, and I don't know what's causing it. It's an old Sony PS-T1, so it could just be that it's old, but I'd like to know if I can stop it from doing that (at first I thought it was just an issue with the record, but it's done so on multiple records that work on my other player, so I'm ruling that out). Other than that, it works really well. I need to get some new speakers though, because the ones I picked up at a thrift store when I got my first player and ended up not using are pretty blown out. That's what you get for $10 speakers I guess.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Yessssssssssssss. I want that album bad.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

1000 umbrellas posted:

Awesome. Just ordered your Sun Ray EP as well, because you're like my new favorite band. drat.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

Faxbart posted:

Gotta be careful with these old players. Check that the needle is still good and NOT on the 78 setting. Even then, sometimes the arm is really heavy and could press too hard on less resilient records. Also check that the volume control potentiometer isn't busted or corroded (clean with rubbing alcohol), which could explain why 1.5 is too loud. Then again these old units can BLAST out sound. I can't even use my old 60's Victrola without annoying neighbours.
The only problem I've had with it so far is that it doesn't wanna play new stuff. My new Shins LP skips like mad. I don't know if it's the record itself or the stylus.

Faxbart
Sep 13, 2005

Leave 4514 disabled. It's a stupid warning anyway.

g-c posted:

The only problem I've had with it so far is that it doesn't wanna play new stuff. My new Shins LP skips like mad. I don't know if it's the record itself or the stylus.

That's a bad sign that you might be using the 78 stylus. 78's are cut differently than other records and use a different, bigger, type of stylus that may not work properly with LP/45's, or may damage them. My father's entire childhood collection of 45's can attest to this :( .

I'm not familiar with Motorola turntables, but the needle on my old system can be "flipped over" to use the LP/45 setting. Barring that, you're in for a hell of a search to find a replacement needle.

...Or it could just be a bad/damaged LP pressing?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Elrobot posted:

I never get tired of Song of Innocence, it's just so fresh even today. One of my all-time favourites.

Faxbart posted:

Even then, sometimes the arm is really heavy and could press too hard on less resilient records.

Yeah, these old radiograms are best kept as furniture only, or maybe used for common records of the era that are easily replacable once your 40 gram changer has erased them.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Have an extra download code for Deafheaven - Roads to Judah if anyone wants it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOH_ORa0po4

It's really great post-rock influenced black metal. If you're familiar with Have A Nice Life, it reminds me a lot of Deathconsciousness. Download at http://www.deathwishinc.com/downloadvinyl and the code is 124-496B1ZIBA6

E:

Valleys of Neptune came today as well from that Best Buy thing. Not warped at all and is playing quite nicely. I'm very pleased.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 13, 2012

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
That Jack White flexi on eBay is now up to over $2,500 and with a few days still left to go.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
There's going to be a lot of internal justification going on to cover for the buyer's remorse on that sale, no doubt.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

That Jack White flexi on eBay is now up to over $2,500 and with a few days still left to go.

I always wonder what kind of person can actually afford to spend that kind of money on a record and have no qualms about it. Even if I could piss away that amount on an item like that I wouldn't even consider it because there's so many better ways to spend thousands of dollars.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CPL593H posted:

I always wonder what kind of person can actually afford to spend that kind of money on a record and have no qualms about it. Even if I could piss away that amount on an item like that I wouldn't even consider it because there's so many better ways to spend thousands of dollars.

There's a type of hobbyist or collector that's just beyond anything that makes rational sense.

You'll always see them at record fairs or comic book conventions. They'll have a massive, 5" binder with just hundreds of pages of stuff to buy in an itemized list. For them, the hobby isn't about finding stuff you like or getting a great deal on a classic. It's about trying to own everything.

It's sad :/

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
It's now up to $3,051.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-White-Limited-Edition-Flexi-Disc-/320884419223?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4ab633aa97#ht_500wt_1413

I like that this one record will cost more than it did for Third Man to make a thousand of them.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
I seriously hope that they really enjoy the record (because I'd feel like a jackass if I spent more on a record than some people spend on a used car and ended up hating it).

That aside, my copy of In Utero from Best Buy got here today. The packaging wasn't the best, but I've seen records packed far more poorly (Amazon shipped me a 12" record in a huge loving box with some of those huge air packet things once).

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
The wacky thing about that flexi is that the 1 track that's on there will also be on the record coming out in a few weeks. I kinda understand the "collector's" aspect of it, but come on!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

There's a type of hobbyist or collector that's just beyond anything that makes rational sense.

You'll always see them at record fairs or comic book conventions. They'll have a massive, 5" binder with just hundreds of pages of stuff to buy in an itemized list. For them, the hobby isn't about finding stuff you like or getting a great deal on a classic. It's about trying to own everything.

I don;t think I'll ever be able to understand this mentality.

mia2000 posted:

The wacky thing about that flexi is that the 1 track that's on there will also be on the record coming out in a few weeks. I kinda understand the "collector's" aspect of it, but come on!

Wait. Are you loving serious? I was under the understanding that this was a special track that's only being released via helium balloon.

fake edit: I just googled it and you are correct. Jesus this whole thing is sad on so many levels. I could kind of understand the frenzy if this was a special song but it's not. This just means that right now a bunch of grown men are bidding one another into the thousands for what was essentially an amusing little stunt which they now have completely sucked the fun out of.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blast Fantasto posted:

You see, he who owns the most at death, wins.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

I don;t think I'll ever be able to understand this mentality.

But... you... see... it will be a collectable some day. And I will never have to work again because of my valuable vinyl records. Because in 30 years, people will want to listen to the indie rock of today on a hobbyist's format!

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I saw Cursive last night in Houston and was hard pressed to narrow down their selection to just two LP's, but I ended up with Domestica and The Ugly Organ. I had Kasher sign the back of my Ugly Organ LP, because I'm a nerdy fanboy like that.

Evey better ...

Before the show, I wandered into a new record store down the street from the venue and scored an original copy of New Order's Substance! It's Qwest, and not Factory (which is sort of a downer) but I don't care. That cassette never left my car all through high school, and I can remember buying Technique the day it came out. New Order is the band that made me start paying attention to music and buying records, so to have this in my collection is an excellent way to start the weekend.

Now I'm tempted to seek out the other re-releases they did for their other classic LP's.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Blast Fantasto posted:

This is going to be choppy. I'm going to write a bunch of choppy sentences and you can build whatever mental picture from it you want.
I don't think all of these people are the same. I collect records and retro video games. These aside from soccer are my things I do. I have 1000-1500 records at the moment. I managed to make myself dump off over 500 I knew I would never listen to. I love finding a good deal. If I see a record worth 15$+ for 5$- I'm going to pick it up. I can afford to do this. Some people waste money on food/beer/movies/vacation/prostitutes/car payments, I spend all of my extra money on records and video games.
I'm a collector by nature. As a kid until now I've always been a collector of something: action figures, comic books, baseball cards, oddly shaped pieces of limestone I'd find in my driveway.
I have studio discographies of almost every major classic rock star/band. I have a complete licensed nintendo set(I paid $1800 for one game.) All of this money I'm spending on records and video games are assets to me. Maybe I can't make all of my money back, but I feel I can make 70% of it back if I had to.

That being said, I'm not speculative. I don't overpay on new things, like the Jack White balloon record. Those people I can only assume, are hard core Jack White collectors, determined to have everything he releases, or have plenty of money and this just means a few less rounds of golf, or a shorter island vacation at most. If you are someone collects every Jack White release, and a handful of these are recovered, these opening weeks might be your best shot at getting them. You will probably be able to get them cheaper later, but is it worth the risk if you can afford it?

These sad people with binders, why are they sad? Because they dedicate more money to the hobby than you? Because they are serious collectors? Are coin collectors sad? Are antique collectors sad?

Some are smug they have huge collections. Some people are smug they have small collections of obscure poo poo. Some people are smug they have 1000$ turntable set ups in their 400 sq ft apartments. I don't want to vilify any type of collector, just because they have different kinds of collections or spending habits.
I'm not really down with collector hate.

This response wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just really a counterpoint, for those that don't really understand large scale or expensive collecting.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 14, 2012

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

cosmicjim posted:

These sad people with binders, why are they sad? Because they dedicate more money to the hobby than you? Because they are serious collectors? Are coin collectors sad? Are antique collectors sad?

Some are smug they have huge collections. Some people are smug they have small collections of obscure poo poo. Some people are smug they have 1000$ turntable set ups in their 400 sq ft apartments. I don't want to vilify any type of collector, just because they have different kinds of collections or spending habits.

This response wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just really a counterpoint, for those that don't really understand large scale or expensive collecting.

It's just something the mainstream population will never understand, and given the idiosyncratic nature of a lot of collectors, something that many people equate either with mental illness and/or an excess of disposable income.

There's a decent pinball documentary called Special When Lit that focuses in part on collectors of pinball machines. While I know that documentarians going to go after the weirdest folks imaginable with maybe a sane one or two for the sake of "balance," pretty much everyone they interviewed that was way into pinball and owned scores of tables seemed to be of somewhat questionable sanity. Hell, pretty much any decent documentary these days focuses on obsession and those obsessed, which is part of the allure of collecting.

I guess I've been on both sides of it, having gone through a phase of collecting in my early 20s with video games and music. I still buy records I'm going to listen to and games I'm going to play, but never just to own them or to add a +1 to my collection anymore. To me it's more valuable to be able to appreciate something you own and to have a good reason for it being there. It's also great to have an aesthetically pleasing home that isn't over cluttered with things I don't need or use. I understand part of the mentality of collectors, but I could never bring myself to pay large sums for something of so little utility. I've since dumped much of my excess probably still have lots of stuff to unload because it just isn't as important to me to own what are ultimately trivial things anymore.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Surfingelectrode posted:

It's now up to $3,051.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-White-Limited-Edition-Flexi-Disc-/320884419223?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4ab633aa97#ht_500wt_1413

I like that this one record will cost more than it did for Third Man to make a thousand of them.

drat. I live 30 minutes from Nashville (where the balloons were launched), I should just go out and search for one of those things just to sell it. It'd be worth it.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Just wanted to post I got the Soul Generation today from JohnnyMondo. Looks great, sounds even better.

Sitting around listening to soul, and grilling some bratwurst. A great Saturday.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

But... you... see... it will be a collectable some day. And I will never have to work again because of my valuable vinyl records. Because in 30 years, people will want to listen to the indie rock of today on a hobbyist's format!

It's Beanie Babies all over again.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

cosmicjim posted:

This is going to be choppy. I'm going to write a bunch of choppy sentences and you can build whatever mental picture from it you want.
I don't think all of these people are the same. I collect records and retro video games. These aside from soccer are my things I do. I have 1000-1500 records at the moment. I managed to make myself dump off over 500 I knew I would never listen to. I love finding a good deal. If I see a record worth 15$+ for 5$- I'm going to pick it up. I can afford to do this. Some people waste money on food/beer/movies/vacation/prostitutes/car payments, I spend all of my extra money on records and video games.
I'm a collector by nature. As a kid until now I've always been a collector of something: action figures, comic books, baseball cards, oddly shaped pieces of limestone I'd find in my driveway.
I have studio discographies of almost every major classic rock star/band. I have a complete licensed nintendo set(I paid $1800 for one game.) All of this money I'm spending on records and video games are assets to me. Maybe I can't make all of my money back, but I feel I can make 70% of it back if I had to.

That being said, I'm not speculative. I don't overpay on new things, like the Jack White balloon record. Those people I can only assume, are hard core Jack White collectors, determined to have everything he releases, or have plenty of money and this just means a few less rounds of golf, or a shorter island vacation at most. If you are someone collects every Jack White release, and a handful of these are recovered, these opening weeks might be your best shot at getting them. You will probably be able to get them cheaper later, but is it worth the risk if you can afford it?

This is the only post on this subject that hasn't been completely insufferable. Thanks for being cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

stay depressed posted:

This is the only post on this subject that hasn't been completely insufferable. Thanks for being cool.

Nope, still sad.