Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
"Yeah he came by my house and I gave him the schlock rod!"

edit: Jesus Christ, of course this would be the first post on a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I alphabetized my records today and the hardest part was putting Paul McCartney on one shelf and Wings on a different shelf.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CPL593H posted:

"Yeah he came by my house and I gave him the schlock rod!"

edit: Jesus Christ, of course this would be the first post on a new page.

The Vinyl Thread - I gave him the schlock rod!

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Boinks posted:

I alphabetized my records today and the hardest part was putting Paul McCartney on one shelf and Wings on a different shelf.
Now here's the tricky part: where do you put "Paul McCartney and Wings"?

the correct answer is in the Ms, chronologically after McCartney solo

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jan and Dean are so weird at times. Half of their songs are standard surf rock. The other half parody surf rock.

Schlock Rod came immediately after Dead Man's Curve on the album. And it's on the same album as Surfin' Hearse. Both parody Surf City.

The title track, Drag City, is one of their tightest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adK5fPRh5Jk

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I got real lazy a while ago and tired of shuffling things from cube to cube so it's sorted by letter and that's it. Not even trying to sort 7"s anymore.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Looking over that singles list there are two Ferrante and Teicher things on it and now I feel justified in posting that I kinda want their Soundblast record. Never knew that space age pop was a thing until I stumbles into this on YouTube looking for another song of theirs. As to organizing records right now they're grouped by genre as I always group my media, until it's a big enough collection that I get annoyed that I can't find anything and wind up alphabetizing anyways.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Are we just going to ignore that the box of 45s has Herb Alpert in it?

He is truly inescapable.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Are we just going to ignore that the box of 45s has Herb Alpert in it?

He is truly inescapable.

Haha. Yup.

Here is part two

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I love these little things, finding notes other people have written so long ago. The spelling mistakes make it even more endearing.

Why do tools fall in love?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

I'd say the hardest part would be listening to Paul McCartney's solo albums. Zing!

On a related note I've always thought that Alice Cooper pre-1974 should ne under A while post-1973 should be under C because the former was the name of the whole band and the latter is solo albums by the singer also named Alice Cooper.

The Dark Project posted:

I love these little things, finding notes other people have written so long ago. The spelling mistakes make it even more endearing.

Why do tools fall in love?

Old books are the best for this. I mostly only buy used books and I find all kinds of things written on the insides of the covers or first page. My favorite find was a pair of flyers from 1962 with the movie schedules for an arthouse theater that have drawings on them. I kept those inside the book.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't even bother anymore, I got two flip bins and I put whatever I listened to last at the front of one, alternating. Turns out I still know roughly where everything is this way and it's, while not so efficient for storage space, much more convenient for retrieval.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't even bother anymore, I got two flip bins and I put whatever I listened to last at the front of one, alternating. Turns out I still know roughly where everything is this way and it's, while not so efficient for storage space, much more convenient for retrieval.

Oh I stopped organizing them years ago. I have a small section that's in alphabetical order by band/artist with the albums in order of release, that was the early days of my collection. I got lazy after that and now they're just on shelves in no order at all. I'd say a little more than half the time I want a specific album I spend a good five minutes or so swearing and looking through the rows over and over again until I eventually find it. The rest of the time I just remember exactly where it is because :spergin:.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Moe_Rahn posted:

Between Red Rose Speedway and Venus & Mars where it belongs :smith:

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Moe_Rahn posted:

Slight disagree - McCartney side projects get filed under "McCartney" in chronological order, so all the Wings stuff gets sandwiched between Ram and McCartney II, and Thrillington is between Speed of Sound and London Town.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

hello, I don't have many records but I picked these up recently

:neckbeard:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
the best Australian band of all time, TISM, have got their first physical release in almost twenty years announced today, a 2xLP live set of their final show as well as an "Omni-Album":

quote:

With its lesser dynamic range, worse signal-to-noise ratio, inferior channel separation, variation in playback speed, limited sound capacity, and susceptibility to heat, dust and damge, vinyl is an inexplicably re-emerging gimmick for pox-addled hair-lipped shut-ins who are trying too hard to compensate for ther goitered lives.

But why pay for multiple TISM albums in vinyl format when you can buy only one? The TISM Omni-Album is an all-purpose album cover containing liner notes, artwork and song listings suitable for all six TISM albums. The TISM Deluxe Omni-Album comes with an actual vinyl disc, filled with 100 minutes of total silence, so as not to detract from the sound quality and thereby allowing you to savour the full vinyl experience: you will extract the soon-to-be scratched disc from the soon-to-be bent cover, place it on a revolving turntable powered by the latest in 1920s technology, and then attempt to drop a tiny, fragile and expensive needle on to an inconsistently revolving wax groove.

With the TISM Deluxe Omni-Album, all the features of analogue listening are yours: turntable rumble, extraneous cartridge noise, clicks and pops as the stylus hits dust, and of course, the repetitive insanity of a needle endlessly skipping over the permanently damaged surface. And remember, with The TISM Deluxe Omni-Album's carefully mastered total silence, you can listen to TISM's music in any non-analogue format you choose. (These formats are available for separate purchase.) The TISM Deluxe Omni-Album is the ultimate TISM listening experience.

The standard edition of The TISM Omni-Album contains no vinyl at all. Why put up with second best? The TISM Omni-Album gives you the vinyl experience without the crap sound.

The TISM Ultra Deluxe Double Omni-Album - with its two completely silent vinyl discs - has been banned by the Victorian Department of Consumer Affairs. According to a department spokesperson, "surely there's no deadshit stupid enough to buy it."

It's me, I'm the deadshit. I bought the live set, but also the 2xLP Omni set that assumedly has no music on the vinyl discs. Knowing the band's sense of humour, there's every chance that the discs might actually have something on there like a spoken word manifesto, but there's also every chance that they're literally just selling an empty vinyl. Which is also funny as hell.

Anyway, buy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQO1qZD5lek

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Completed my set of all Perfume LP's

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My local indie record store was closed today so I went to Sunrise and spent a fair bit too much money on a new hologram pressing of 2112 (really cool; it has a locking groove on side 2 so your stylus doesn't run over the Starman hologram) and a recent pressing of Birth of the Cool.

Tomorrow (today? Wednesday.) I think I'm going to hit up a couple of thrift stores to see what I can find, since that indie store is closed again, then check out the indie store when it opens back up again Thursday afternoon. I haven't actually been in there since I was 18! One of the wonders of moving back to your hometown.

e: Since I'm listening to it, does anyone here have an original pressing of Genesis - Invisible Touch, and if so, can they confirm if it's an unusually loudly mastered album? Mine doesn't sound like it's been compressed or anything but for a 1986 album it's really quite loud.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 14, 2020

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
More stuff in the mail today!
There were still stock online for Tron, so thought I'd pick it up and got some other stuff I've been meaning to pickup at the same time.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Buffis posted:

Do Perfume Genius next!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Christ I kinda want that blank TISM record for lol irony reasons even though I dont care about the band and have only heard one of their songs. I too must be a dumbshit.

Since Paul McCartney bubbled up in the thread recently I might as well ask in here: if I unironically love Wings - Back to the Egg where should I go next? I also have a copy of At the Speed of Sound but remember nothing about it other than it came with a magazine clipping from the 70s on what the Beatles are doing now, which threw a bunch of shade on Ringo (as per usual) for doing country songs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Buffis posted:

More stuff in the mail today!
There were still stock online for Tron, so thought I'd pick it up and got some other stuff I've been meaning to pickup at the same time.

Who still has Tron Legacy in stock?

Barry posted:

Do Perfume Genius next!

Yeah he rules. I went to one of his shows when he was promoting No Shape and it was my favorite concert I've ever been to.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

CPL593H posted:

Who still has Tron Legacy in stock?

Got it from a store here in Sweden called Bengans (biggest vinyl store in sweden probably). They had stock a few days ago. Doesnt look like they do now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Buffis posted:

Got it from a store here in Sweden called Bengans (biggest vinyl store in sweden probably). They had stock a few days ago. Doesnt look like they do now.

Lame. It seems like people in Europe are having an easy time getting it. Thanks anyway.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Turbinosamente posted:

Since Paul McCartney bubbled up in the thread recently I might as well ask in here: if I unironically love Wings - Back to the Egg where should I go next? I also have a copy of At the Speed of Sound but remember nothing about it other than it came with a magazine clipping from the 70s on what the Beatles are doing now, which threw a bunch of shade on Ringo (as per usual) for doing country songs.

Dunno if this helps, but for Wings I'd rank Back to the Egg third after Band On the Run and Speed of Sound.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

u_s_eh posted:

Dunno if this helps, but for Wings I'd rank Back to the Egg third after Band On the Run and Speed of Sound.

It helps, if only to make me feel less like a loser since a lot of people didn't like Egg when it came out and it hasn't risen much in esteem since. Between it and Helter Skelter, I'm quite tempted to say angry McCartney = best McCartney.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
McCartney II for me, it came shortly after the egg album, Temporary Secretary is a banger.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Turbinosamente posted:

Christ I kinda want that blank TISM record for lol irony reasons even though I dont care about the band and have only heard one of their songs. I too must be a dumbshit.

I'd really recommend the live album at least, they're incredible live. There's a different live show album on Spotify if you want to preview it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Domino has a new pressing of Young Marble Giants' "Colossal Youth" for the 40th anniversary

https://www.dominomusic.com/releases/young-marble-giants/colossal-youth/exclusive-limited-double-lp

quote:

Double Clear Transparent Vinyl
Exclusive 28 Page A4 Lyric Booklet with drawings by Wendy Smith
DVD

Colossal Youth 40th Anniversary Edition includes the titular album as well as songs from Salad Days, Is The War Over, the “Final Day” single and their Testcard EP as well a live DVD of their last ever US show at Hurrah in New York in 1980

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Mystery Steve posted:

McCartney II for me, it came shortly after the egg album, Temporary Secretary is a banger.

Big yes to both.

Ram, II, and Press to Play are probably my solo favorites. And there’s a song called “Angry” on PtP as a bonus!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Buffis posted:

very nice!!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fu Manchu is re-releasing their Godzilla's / Eatin' Dust album with 4 previously unreleased tracks

https://cargorecordsdirect.co.uk/products/fu-manchu-godzilla-s-eatin-dust-4

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Enos Cabell posted:

Fu Manchu is re-releasing their Godzilla's / Eatin' Dust album with 4 previously unreleased tracks

https://cargorecordsdirect.co.uk/products/fu-manchu-godzilla-s-eatin-dust-4

Awesome. I was able to snag a 3x10" copy off of discogs for $28. So if you are in the US that might be the way to go.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Some more stuff in from Japan, Akira Ito - Inner Light of Life, some new age/ambient stuff and Pie - Ocean, apparently City Pop sounding but have yet to hear any samples. Excited to check it out.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I think I've pimped Butcher Brown in this thread before, but I'm not sure if I ever linked to their tribute album to Fela Kuti:

https://twitter.com/WarHenRecords/status/1313947285374590977?s=20

poo poo is hot fire.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Just wondering what people's methods are for choosing vinyl from artists they have never heard from before. Say you go to a swap meet or garage sale and thumb through a stack of LP's, and you find a bunch from artists that you've never heard of. What drives your decision to purchase or not. Is it the album art, the song list? Do you google or look for them on spotify or youtube to see if you can hear a track or two? Or do you prefer to go in blind and see if you can fluke a gem and find something really interesting and cool for yourself without checking every single thing about the artist out?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I will usually YouTube a song from the album. Virtually everything that's worth a listen is on there nowadays.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Dark Project posted:

Just wondering what people's methods are for choosing vinyl from artists they have never heard from before. Say you go to a swap meet or garage sale and thumb through a stack of LP's, and you find a bunch from artists that you've never heard of. What drives your decision to purchase or not. Is it the album art, the song list? Do you google or look for them on spotify or youtube to see if you can hear a track or two? Or do you prefer to go in blind and see if you can fluke a gem and find something really interesting and cool for yourself without checking every single thing about the artist out?

Bandcamp is very helpful, you can play stuff on the band's page and buy direct from the artist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

The Dark Project posted:

album art first then a look at the credited performers to see if anyone im familiar with is on the album then finally price. i never check out a song on youtube or whatever when im going through stacks. gamble a stamp!