Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I can solve this real easy. Time to buy a new turntable. Two turntables folks. Lessgo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
ok i found it on bandcamp and the fades are reasonable, though i still feel like a version of dopesmoker with gaps in it is a cowardly way to listen to dopesmoker https://sleepsl.bandcamp.com/album/dopesmoker

i do get the appeal, though, just look at all these variants :stare:

dorium posted:

I can solve this real easy. Time to buy a new turntable. Two turntables folks. Lessgo

we talked about this a few pages ago i think, but that lcd soundsystem box set is literally set up for this by splitting its sides across the different records such that you can go from one to the other

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

dorium posted:

imagine a zaireeka vinyl set

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Has anyone ever issued a record that's supposed to be played with two tonearms at the same time? Like with a steady beat in a locked groove and different instrumental/vocal parts in a regular spiral groove?

or hell, just different instrument tracks in locked grooves, which I'm sure exists, but drop in as many tonearms as you can manage and be the one-record DJ.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

My Lovely Horse posted:

Has anyone ever issued a record that's supposed to be played with two tonearms at the same time? Like with a steady beat in a locked groove and different instrumental/vocal parts in a regular spiral groove?

or hell, just different instrument tracks in locked grooves, which I'm sure exists, but drop in as many tonearms as you can manage and be the one-record DJ.

Zaireeka would be the closest but I think it only had a CD release?

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

The flaming lips did this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaireeka.

I think it was originally sold as a 4cd pack the idea that you'd get 4 cars together at a parking lot and play them at the same time to create different harmonics and playing the tracks out of sync would create new songs. It was cut for RSD a few years back I like the idea behind it but its not really practical.

I did like the warning label though.

quote:

Warning: this is a unique recording. These eight compositions are to be played using as many as four players, and have synchronized start times. This recording also contains frequencies not normally heard on commercial recordings and on rare occasion has caused the listener to become disoriented. These extremely high and low frequencies can cause a person to become disoriented, confused or nauseated. DO NOT listen repeatedly at high volume. Make sure infants are out of listening range. Zaireeka should not be listened to while driving.

Edit beaten ^^

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I, Butthole posted:

Zaireeka would be the closest but I think it only had a CD release?

It was a Record Store Day release in 2013 for some reason:

https://www.discogs.com/Flaming-Lips-Zaireeka/release/4491503

chairdoctor
May 31, 2001

The doctor is in.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's not created explicitly for that purpose, but Four Tet's most recent album has 16 locked grooves on side d. DJ Food has some custom rig with four tonearms and made a couple of remixes/tracks out of them.

Here's a video of some of it. https://twitter.com/fourtet/status/1268911488967815168?lang=en

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I did Dopesmoker on vinyl over the weekend and oh boy, it's a goddamn treat. How the gently caress do they make those sounds with three instruments, I have no idea.

tinaun posted:

imagine a zaireeka vinyl set
My friends and I did this for someone's birthday full of :catdrugs: and it's really a prank designed for you to go "OKAY EVERYONE... ONE... TWO... THREE... GO! .................................gently caress, EVERYONE STOP, LET'S DO IT AGAIN!" for hours.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

chairdoctor posted:

It's not created explicitly for that purpose, but Four Tet's most recent album has 16 locked grooves on side d. DJ Food has some custom rig with four tonearms and made a couple of remixes/tracks out of them.

Here's a video of some of it. https://twitter.com/fourtet/status/1268911488967815168?lang=en

That's neat. It's similar to what Thomas Brinkmann did with his dual-tonearm turntable using Richie Hawtins Concept 1 tracks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

abraham linksys posted:

am I wrong or is it a 63 minute uninterrupted track? How's that work split across 3 sides?

I have this album on vinyl, the first track is 30min long so it takes both sides of one disk. It's split at the junction between one ambient part and a more ambient part at about 15min in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6rjkyiUNLY

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

My Lovely Horse posted:

You're describing early stereo records. Two mono grooves, one for the left channel, one for the right.

Did not take off for very obvious reasons.

Because mono loving rules. gently caress this multidimensional sound poo poo.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I impulse bought the Zaireeka vinyl set a few years back, never once listened to it because lol. It was still sealed when I sold it back in January to a record store which went out of business about a month later.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Creature posted:

I impulse bought the Zaireeka vinyl set a few years back, never once listened to it because lol. It was still sealed when I sold it back in January to a record store which went out of business about a month later.

So it was your fault!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
For some reason Zaireeka on vinyl was not a big seller.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Animal Collective's Bridge to Quiet EP just got put up for pre-order: https://anmlcollectve.bandcamp.com/album/bridge-to-quiet

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't think I wanted to spend the money for the Cowboy Bebop release but I just got a promotion and my local record store is getting an exclusive variant that comes out tomorrow, so ordered.

I also ordered the Eva vinyl release from Mondo yesterday. I kinda need Cruel Angel's Thesis on vinyl.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

CPL593H posted:

I just need one more working turntable in this house and we're all set!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

How is it set up? Are the instruments separated by record? Like vocals on one, guitar on another?

Moe_Rahn posted:

I just need one more working turntable in this house and we're all set!

Oh man. I have the four tables but only 3 channels on my mixer work!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

How is it set up? Are the instruments separated by record? Like vocals on one, guitar on another?

Oh man. I have the four tables but only 3 channels on my mixer work!

I've never heard the album but as far as I know it's not like each disc has a specific instrument so much as each disc provides it's own layers. Someone I know told me there's a part where it sounds like bugs are flying around you if you have the cd players arranged around the room rather than in a row.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I've never heard the album but as far as I know it's not like each disc has a specific instrument so much as each disc provides it's own layers. Someone I know told me there's a part where it sounds like bugs are flying around you if you have the cd players arranged around the room rather than in a row.
I think I passed it up when it was pretty cheap. Something I might grab sub $30 to mess around with

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

free codes, first come first served. that Oh Sees one might not work till tomorrow though as the EP isnt officially out till then, but you're welcome to try.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I only did it once with 4 CD players and it was people sticking speakers out their dorm room windows. It didn’t really work.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

I only did it once with 4 CD players and it was people sticking speakers out their dorm room windows. It didn’t really work.

From what I've heard it sounds like like it's more interesting conceptually than is it actually listen to it.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
the songs themselves are really good (its 90s flaming lips so duh) and i kinda wish they were released somewhere "real". riding to work in the year 2025 is probably my favorite lips song

its a shame wayne loving sucks now

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

LCD doing repress of their Christmas "we're back" single from 2016. Someone on disogs just bought it (for $100bux). lol

https://store.dfarecords.com/products/lcd-soundsystem-christmas-will-break-your-heart-7?variant=38280088944791

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
just in from Japan

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

A disturbing lack of OBI strips.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Toe Rag posted:

A disturbing lack of OBI strips.

they're all worthless without the OBI

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Speaking of imports with obis, I got these two gems today from France:

The red one is a 1965 album with some great big band jazz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4dG0i5vj8Q

Up until this year, it only saw that initial pressing with copies going for hundreds. It got a remaster from its original tapes and saw a limited reissue over summer.

The album came about following a live performance from a month or so earlier at the same concert hall, but that performance had never been released at all until this month, and that's what the blue album is. Both sound fantastic and it's interesting to compare the two versions with what songs were played and how they differed between the concert and studio session.

In conclusion, this is what the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack has done to me, 20 years after first hearing it. Listen to more jazz, kids.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Speaking of Cowboy Bebop, I'm annoyed that they didn't include Real Folk Blues on the release. It's the second song I associate with the series.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Detective No. 27 posted:

Speaking of Cowboy Bebop, I'm annoyed that they didn't include Real Folk Blues on the release. It's the second song I associate with the series.

It's really weird, in Japan back in the late 90s they did several full-album length soundtrack releases, but Real Folk Blues was never included on any of them. It only showed up on an EP called "Vitaminless."

The vinyl OST that came out this year is a reissue of the first official soundtrack from back then (sides A-C) with some random songs from another relatively obscure EP. I don't know if Milan is planning to do vinyl releases of any additional soundtracks, but obviously the best opportunity for Real Folk Blues would have been as one of those Side D bonus tracks. But it's also possible the rights holders in Japan nixed its inclusion for whatever reason.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

this is where I continue to be annoyed at cowboy bebop for not being soundtracked by bebop and the real folk blues for being neither folk nor blues nor folk blues

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
But at least it's real.

The best song from the soundtrack is "Blue", although the vocalise at the beginning sounds like "where's your Messiah, Woot?"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Back in ye olden days when the only way to get anime was on overpriced DVDs I got that Cowboy Bebop set that was just the individual DVD releases in a big rear end box it came with a soundtracks CD and I was also disappointed to find that it didn't have The Real Folk Blues. And also that Walk in the Rain song was a different version from the one in that episode with a male vocalist. COMPLETE BULLSHIT.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

hexwren posted:

this is where I continue to be annoyed at cowboy bebop for not being soundtracked by bebop and the real folk blues for being neither folk nor blues nor folk blues

I am disappointed that the music was not made by an actual tank.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Still waiting on my Cowboy Bebop record, but I get it, there's a worldwide plague and its December. I got a shipping notification Nov 30th but the tracking number doesn't work.
Also I was listening to the soundtrack in the car and got in an accident and died. Disappointed it doesn't work as a real Seatbelt.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

Back in ye olden days when the only way to get anime was on overpriced DVDs I got that Cowboy Bebop set that was just the individual DVD releases in a big rear end box it came with a soundtracks CD and I was also disappointed to find that it didn't have The Real Folk Blues. And also that Walk in the Rain song was a different version from the one in that episode with a male vocalist. COMPLETE BULLSHIT.

Want the female vocal version? Gotta get it on the four-CD box set! :homebrew:

No, Real Folk Blues isn't on the box set, you gotta buy something else, silly!

no broccoli please posted:

Still waiting on my Cowboy Bebop record, but I get it, there's a worldwide plague and its December. I got a shipping notification Nov 30th but the tracking number doesn't work.
Also I was listening to the soundtrack in the car and got in an accident and died. Disappointed it doesn't work as a real Seatbelt.

Can't really help you with the whole dying thing, but you should contact your seller and ask them about the tracking number not working.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Ballz posted:

Can't really help you with the whole dying thing, but you should contact your seller and ask them about the tracking number not working.

Yeah I probably should. It's the one from Milan Records, and people have been getting them, so I've just been waiting. Also I'm in Canada and things usually take a while. Maybe I'll fire then a message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The US post office is extremely hosed right now so it will be a long time before you get packages in the mail. I have two different records in limbo right now, one of which the post office hasn't even scanned yet. The seller sent it out over three weeks ago. This is what they're dealing with:

But one way to look at it is when you can finally get to listen to the record it will feel very authentic because it will be 2071.