Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

hexwren posted:

I ordered it anyway, with a sigh. One One One is one of my favorite songs basically ever.

I did too :negative:

$40 after tax and shipping, eesh. At least I'll have three months to try to forget how much I spent on it before it ships :v:

For more reasonable reprint news: DFA recently put another pressing of LCD Soundsytem's This Is Happening up on their web store. Snagged that and a reprint of The Juan McLean's The Future Will Come from a couple years ago. Slowly starting to complete a collection of all the indie-dance I was listening to a decade ago. Now just need Holy Ghost to rerelease their first record, Hot Chip to put out like three more of theirs...

Turbinosamente posted:

I'll second getting an old name brand 5 disc carousel CD player and wiring it into your set up for CD fun times. Bonus points if you get one that still has its remote though they work perfectly fine without one. And yes it is nice to pick out albums that go together and set the player to random. No idea what's good in tape decks as I haven't bothered to use ours that's in the big stereo set up for 20 years. Whenever I listen to casettes it's usually through a knock off Walkman or a dedicated boombox.

I did a bit of digging with this sorta thing and it seems like the cheapest option for cassettes and CDs honestly seems to just be whatever "new" portable CD players are still being made and a used Walkman with a replaced belt (and ideally one of the models where other bits are easy to fix if needed). At this point I have more rechargable batteries than I do open power outlets, so might grab something on eBay soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

sporklift posted:

I've bought some old radio station records. Usually the cover is pretty trashed from being handled so much but the vinyl is ok. A couple of years ago a local DJ retired and sold most of his collection to the shop I go to. I think they got almost a thousand latin records. A lot of poo poo that never made it to the states. I spent some hours listening but was only able to afford 10 or so.

Speaking of well played records, I found a 45 box full of records with person's name on all the records and an index card at the front. Half the records were completely worn out, not scratched up, they just had been played so much the grooves were worn out and pretty much unplayable. Pretty sure it was some college kid's little collection. It was free so kinda cool to think of some girl in the 60's playing these things to death.

So this box of 45's was from my late father's things. I imagine it was a college girlfriend's or something. I had to toss about half the records because they were unplayable. The ones that were left over were made into a mix for my dad's birthday. Not my usual stuff but it was fun to put together.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/for-my-father/

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

sporklift posted:

So this box of 45's was from my late father's things. I imagine it was a college girlfriend's or something. I had to toss about half the records because they were unplayable. The ones that were left over were made into a mix for my dad's birthday. Not my usual stuff but it was fun to put together.

Thanks for making this, I’ll give it a listen later tonight.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

sporklift posted:

This is awesome, I'm into it right from the first needle drop.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

sporklift posted:

Good post is great. Nice work.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

sporklift posted:

Your father had pretty decent taste.

I can see why Jan & Dean's Drag City was unplayable. It's tight. Schlock Rod is one of their better ones. The Four Seasons' "No Surfin Today" was a shot at the Beach Boys, who had taken a shot at them a year earlier with "Surfers Rule." I don't know who started it. It didn't hit me until seeing Hey Little Cobra in the playlist and having it play in my head how similar it feels to Ronny and the Daytonas' GTO. Both were 1964 releases.

The playlist is definitely of an era. I don't immediately see anything later than 1964. Slight mention of The Beatles and a bunch of instrumentals. It reminds me of the recording of my Dad's high school band did in the local radio station. A couple of instrumentals, some young Beatles and a cover of House of the Rising Sun as only can be interpreted by 15-year-old boys without lyrics sheets.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 17, 2021

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Your father had pretty decent taste.

The playlist is definitely of an era. It reminds me of the recording of my Dad's high school band did in the local radio station. A couple of instrumentals, some young Beatles and a cover of House of the Rising Sun as only can be interpreted by 15-year-old boys without lyrics sheets.

Thanks for all the listens everyone! Yeah. While I dig this music it is definitely not an era I usually focus on. I wish more of the these records were salvageable but the limitation makes it fun. I have a bunch of other records from his collection but this was such specific time capsule that I needed to compile it. That time capsule being Midwest college student in the 60's. Maybe I'll make a second mix focusing on his love of country music.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I previously had a stereo with a record preamp and it died during our move to our new location, so this is why I'm interested in these. Just now picked up a RIAA preamp at the thrift store, believe it or not. It appears to be better than I currently have, but let me consult with you guys. Here is what I found:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Technolink...lEAAMXQTgZQ9ry8

And here is what I had purchased previously, but not used yet:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Technolink...~AAAOSwkvFaW1uM

These adequate?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Also found an old Sony turntable, does not appear to be all that exceptional in quality but it looks new, a Sony PS-LX25OH. Anybody have any thoughts on that one?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

petit choux posted:

Also found an old Sony turntable, does not appear to be all that exceptional in quality but it looks new, a Sony PS-LX25OH. Anybody have any thoughts on that one?

that was my first turntable. its fine. its a starter table. you'll probably want to replace the stylus https://www.amazon.com/ATN3600LX-LP-GEAR-PSLX300USB-PS-LX300USB/dp/B07VLT75N8/ because it would be tough to determine how long its been in use.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

petit choux posted:

I previously had a stereo with a record preamp and it died during our move to our new location, so this is why I'm interested in these. Just now picked up a RIAA preamp at the thrift store, believe it or not. It appears to be better than I currently have, but let me consult with you guys. Here is what I found:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Technolink...lEAAMXQTgZQ9ry8

And here is what I had purchased previously, but not used yet:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Technolink...~AAAOSwkvFaW1uM

These adequate?

Yeah, I used to have something similar to the bottom. All the preamp does is undo the RIAA curve, where your amp will take care of volume and EQ. You shouldn't encounter too many issues with that.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

dorium posted:

that was my first turntable. its fine. its a starter table. you'll probably want to replace the stylus https://www.amazon.com/ATN3600LX-LP-GEAR-PSLX300USB-PS-LX300USB/dp/B07VLT75N8/ because it would be tough to determine how long its been in use.

Great news! I was kinda thinking of selling a few of my records at a local head shop and possibly loaning them a turntable to play them. Maybe this is a good one for that purpose.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, I used to have something similar to the bottom. All the preamp does is undo the RIAA curve, where your amp will take care of volume and EQ. You shouldn't encounter too many issues with that.

Yeah, I heard some of the audiophile talk regarding these was overblown and that one might as well stay pretty utilitarian with the preamp unless you have plenty of money to throw around. I note the top one can switch between two different types of turntable but I bet I've only ever been exposed to one, generally. Which setting does one use for the above turntable or my old AT turntable?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

petit choux posted:

Replace the belt ASAP unless you know for sure it's been done within the last few years. Those things just break down into goo after long periods of time. It doesn't destroy the turntable but it makes a huge mess that you're going to have to clean with rubbing alcohol. Belts only cost a few bucks so it's not a huge investment.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

petit choux posted:

I had a similar one for years. It worked fine.

https://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PP999/Compact-Phono-Turntable-Preamp---Ultra-Low-Noise-Audio-Pre-Amplifier-with-12-Volt-Power-Adaptor

I have a couple of pre amps around. One of these and one like you posted. They work fine as well. I'm not in this hobby for fidelity so take my endorsement with a grain of salt I guess.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

petit choux posted:

Yeah, I heard some of the audiophile talk regarding these was overblown and that one might as well stay pretty utilitarian with the preamp unless you have plenty of money to throw around. I note the top one can switch between two different types of turntable but I bet I've only ever been exposed to one, generally. Which setting does one use for the above turntable or my old AT turntable?

So my guess is you're using a moving magnet, since that's more common.

Honestly, unless you have a moving coil cartridge for your turntable, you'll probably be fine with the bottom one. As far as I know, you may need social equipment for moving coil since it has to do with output levels.

It's not really something I looked into, so I don't know if you have magnet or coil.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Anyone not using a Microline or similar stylus is trash!

I really should have looked at the cost of a replacement stylus when I upgraded my cartridge year back. Send help.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cemetry Gator posted:

So my guess is you're using a moving magnet, since that's more common.

Honestly, unless you have a moving coil cartridge for your turntable, you'll probably be fine with the bottom one. As far as I know, you may need social equipment for moving coil since it has to do with output levels.

It's not really something I looked into, so I don't know if you have magnet or coil.

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to say AT, it's a Technics, SL-B2.

And oh yeah, those belts turn into some tenacious crud if they're allowed to melt. That's how this Technics was when I bought it at Goodwill for 6$. Looked like it had been in a barn for a few years. New belt, new cartridge, has worked like a champ for years now.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 18, 2021

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLWHPy9zdGs

This guy is just amazing. When they get to his masterpiece "Music DNA" about halfway through - absolutely perfect

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I really hope the SHF is watching

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I can really hear the difference through this 192kbps youtube stream

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Barry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLWHPy9zdGs

This guy is just amazing. When they get to his masterpiece "Music DNA" about halfway through - absolutely perfect

Some of those are probably doubles.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

pwn posted:

I can really hear the difference through this 192kbps youtube stream

It sounds like Paul McCartney is singing right next to you!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I want to know where that guy gets the money for any of that poo poo.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

I want to know where that guy gets the money for any of that poo poo.

he's an importer/exporter.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

he's an importer/exporter.

Is he the guy that sells latex for Vandelay Industries?

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I preordered this live dredg album back in June of 2020.

Fast forward 8 months and it's finally here!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I have never heard of dredg, but that record jacket looks pretty sweet.

Meanwhile I am waiting for a bunch of stuff from Japan. I'm trying to not get too hyped up for it. Best of all it means I'll have enough used records to justify busting out the spin clean. :v:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Is he the guy that sells latex for Vandelay Industries?

Nah different guy. He’s the importer/exporter for Kramerica Industries. Those giant oil bladders won’t import/export themselves.

angrygodofjebus posted:

I preordered this live dredg album back in June of 2020.

Fast forward 8 months and it's finally here!

I liked this album way back when. Haven’t revisited Dredg in some time.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JFC I never looked at the full list of players. I wonder if that's the same Bea Arthur we all know and love.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Holy cow, it is! Here is her singing one of the songs like 50 years later, sorta reminiscent of Tom Waits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UATlM5Tq9w

Here she is off the album apparently, sounding very Brecht-ish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yes4V_DEncQ

This actually suddenly biases me in favor of Bea Arthur.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 19, 2021

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've got this one! It's kinda almost too ambient at times, but it's nice. Maybe I've just had the volume down too low listening to it previously.

petit choux posted:

JFC I never looked at the full list of players. I wonder if that's the same Bea Arthur we all know and love.

It is.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

hexwren posted:

I've got this one! It's kinda almost too ambient at times, but it's nice. Maybe I've just had the volume down too low listening to it previously.
Yeah, I've never been a huge fan of Wendy either, but I love the cover art.

hexwren posted:

It is.

Suddenly I have a new love for Bea Arthur, she sang for Brecht and Weil. In addition to being in the Star Wars Christmas Special. That really covers a lot of my bucket list right there.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

You may recall Earl Nightingale's global bestseller, Lead The Field, but having gotten a look at the version tailored for men who want to Lead The Field in the business of Life and Casualty insurance, you don't know Jack about Earl.

Note the title of the record on the left:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Who knew that Arnold Palmer had a double album? This goon did!

It came with a large-ish manual and had advertising in it, something you see in records like this now and then.

Love that Mercury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJJvyPXPssg

petit choux fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 19, 2021